The Art of Courting

By flying-person

Chelsea O'Hara has always prided herself at being practical and confident. But when you have a dad that still... More

Copyright Statement
The Art of Courting- Prologue
The Art of Courting- Chapter One
The Art of Courting- Chapter Three
The Art of Courting- Chapter Four
The Art of Courting- Chapter Five
The Art of Courting- Chapter Six
The Art of Courting- Chapter Seven
The Art of Courting- Chapter Eight
The Art of Courting- Chapter Nine
The Art of Courting- Chapter Ten
The Art of Courting- Chapter Eleven
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twelve
The Art of Courting- Chapter Thirteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Fourteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Fifteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Sixteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Seventeen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Eighteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Nineteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty One
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Two
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Three
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Four
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Five
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Six
The End

The Art of Courting- Chapter Two

11.2K 339 31
By flying-person

Hey guys! Here's chapter two!

Sorry, it's kinda short and I dunno if it'll make sense or not. I can't be stuffed reading it over. To be truthful, I'm not very satisfied with this chapter so I'll probably edit it later. But for now, enjoy.

The song for this chapter is Trash, Trampoline and Party GIrl (though most people just call it Party Girl) by U2- the best band ever! A video of them live is on the side >>>>

Also, this chapter is dedicated to JordieXx. She writes some amazing romances, one of my favourites is called Hiding Behind the Music! I also named the character on the side (Jordan, Jay's sister who is played by Rachael Leigh Cook) after her like the awesome person I am.

Anyways, enough from me! On to the chapter!

CHAPTER TWO

I know a girl
A girl called Party, Party Girl
I know she wants more than a party, Party Girl
I know a boy
A boy called Trampoline
You know what I mean
I think I know what he wants
I think I know what she wants
- Trash, Trampoline and Party Girl, U2

CHELSEA COULDN'T REMEMBER THE LAST time she drank alcohol. Maybe when her dad had spontaneously given her a lesson on 'Adult Life' and cracked open a bottle of whiskey. By the time her mother had gotten home, Chelsea was so plastered that she wasn't speaking straight English and her father wasn't much better. That night was the first time she doubted the stability of her parent's marriage and now she wondered if their marriage ever was stable. It was certainly against her dad's nature to be stable: he changed his mind too quickly for him to be truly reliable.

Jay's like that too, Chelsea reminded herself, hence why nothing will ever happen between us.

“Chels!” May shouted loudly from the make-shift bar. “Get your sexy little ass over here!”

Knowing that disobeying May usually resulted in a lot of shouting, Chelsea quickly made her way over. Dani grinned at her before downing a shot.

“I think I'm ready,” she announced.

“Ready for what?” Chelsea asked in confusion.

“To kiss Jay!” Dani slurred in reply with a bright smile. Chelsea frowned.

“I don't know if you should do that Dani... You're pretty wasted...” Even tipsy Chelsea was logical. She was aware that Jay was in an even worse condition than Dani, so his already crappy judgment would be dangerously clouded.

“You're just jealous!” the blonde girl cried in reply to Chelsea's cautioning. “You want him all to yourself! I knew it! You feel threatened by me."

Oh yeah. Totally.

“Dani, calm down,” she sighed. “I'm not jealous of you. I don't want anything to do with Jay. I'm just saying that you could do something you'll regret-”

“SHUT UP AND HAVE SOME VODKA!” May squealed, interrupting, and shoved a shot glass into her hand. With a sad sigh, Chelsea downed it and allowed her friend to drag her to the dance floor. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Dani grab Jay from behind and tug him around. She looked away before she had to see their gross PDA. For some reason, the thought of watching them kiss unsettled her slightly. But it was probably just because she didn't want to have Jay around as much as he would be if he was dating Dani. Plus, it'd be awkward between them.

“OMG, watch them go!” May gasped. Chelsea made a face when she spun around to see Dani practically licking and eating Jay's face. At least he seemed to be enjoying it.

“That's gross,” someone commented from behind Chelsea. She turned around to see a good-looking guy with warm brown eyes wrinkling his nose at her friend's display. He was on the shorter side, with a slight build and curly brown hair. What got Chelsea the most was the way his eyes (that were, unfortunately, hidden behind glasses) took in everything, so calculating and intelligent that she couldn't help but be in awe of them. This must be, as May would put it, someone with a 'kindred spirit' to her own.

“It's not gross,” the mentioned redhead said disapprovingly. “It's romantic.”

“Sometimes you worry me May,” Chelsea sighed. “I'm Chelsea.”

She held her hand out to the guy and he shook it gently. “Andy.”

“Nice to meet you.” By the time she looked back at the couple making out, they were making their way upstairs. Wow, they work fast.

“Is that your friend?” Andy questioned as he followed Chelsea back to the bar.

“Yeah.” She filled up a shot glass and downed it. “She's had a crush on that guy since forever."

“So she's just going to go and have sex with him when she's plastered?” His frowned in disapproval. “That's a bit stupid, isn't it?”

“Yes, ,” Chelsea agreed with a sigh. “I tried to talk her out of it.”

Her words slurred when she said this, a bright clue to how drunk she was.

“Her loss.” He sent her a small smile. “Do you want to dance?”

“Sure.” Chelsea felt an intoxicated grin spread across her face as he pulled her back to the dance floor. A fast-paced song with a lot of electrical squeals was playing and Andy began to twirl Chelsea along to the beat. She followed his movements clumsily, making him laugh.

“I believe you're quite drunk,” her partner observed. Chelsea let out a squeaky laugh.

“Maybe a little bit!” Her voice was too loud. Yep, the alcohol was taking it's effect. She was definitely not sober. “I'll probably go home in a little bit!”

“Okay,” Andy chuckled and twirled her around.

“Uh oh,” Chelsea whispered, feeling nausea kick in. “I think I'm going to be sick!”

And just like that she was out of Andy's arms and sprinting to the nearest bathroom. This was another reason why she didn't drink. For some reason, she always ended up with her head in a toilet after a couple of shots. Making it just in time, Chelsea fell to her knees in front of the toilet and puked her guts out.

Ugh... So gross...

Chelsea wasn't sure how long she stayed there throwing up. It had been at least twenty minutes, since all she was doing was dry-heaving every now and then, but it was probably longer. Thankfully, the more she puked the more sober she became. Right now she was a couple minutes away from calling her dad and getting him to pick her up.

With a soft sigh, Chelsea pushed herself up onto her feet and made her way to the sink. She washed out her mouth quickly and ran her fingers through her hair before heading out to find May. The redhead barreled into her as soon as she came into view.

“Oh my God, Chels, where were you! You missed all of it! It was so horrible, poor-”

“What are you talking about, May?” Chelsea butted in, yawning.

“Dani and Jay! I can't believe you didn't see it!”            

“Did they start having sex on the dance floor or something?”

"No!" May  moaned. “I don't know the details, but one second they'd gone up stairs and the next Jay was running back down in only his boxers. Then Dani ran after him and she was wearing luh-na-ray!”

“... She was wearing what?” May began to babble about some sort of pink outfit with a bunny rabbit's tail or something. “Okay...”

“And then Dani started crying and ran out of the house!”

Chelsea frowned at May. “Let me get this straight. Jay ditched Dani because she was wearing some freaky outfit and then Dani ran out of the house crying?”

“YES!” Her friend started jumping up and down. “And then Jay walked over and collapsed onto the couch over there, talking about being raped by a big furry creature!”

“Alright," Chelsea sighed. “I'm going to go talk to him. Can you go find Dani, May?”

“Yip yip!”

“Okay. You go do that.” She ran off, waving her hands in the air like a maniac.

With a tired sigh, Chelsea walked over to the bar and downed two more shots. It looked like she wasn't going home any time soon, and she didn't think she had the patience to deal with Jay sober. Feeling herself loosen up, she made her way to the couch May had pointed to. Jay was sitting in the middle of it with a beer in his hand and two... overly flamboyant girls fawning over him.

“Jay, get rid of your call girls,” she ordered. Pouting, Jay whispered something to the sluts and they instantly got up and walked to the nearest mildly attractive guy.

“This better be good,” he warned as Chelsea sat down next to him. “I'm having a bad night.”

“Really?”

“Yes! First, you ditched me for the booze and then I was attacked by that crazy rabbit girl and then you made two hot girls go away and now-”

“Okay, I get the idea,” Chelsea sighed and lent her head against the back of the couch.

“THIS IS WORST FRATE EVER!”

“You sound like a girl.” If Jay had the super powers he wished he had, Chelsea would be dead from the lasers shooting out of his eyes. “Now, let's go home.”

“What? No!”

“Yes!” She grabbed Jay's arm- which was surprisingly muscular- and did her best to pull him up. Sadly, this didn't work in her favor and she ended up sprawled on top of him.

“Now, Chelly, there's no reason for you to be throwing yourself at me. Even if I am freakishly handsome.”

“Or maybe because I'm drunk and clumsy.”

“Nah, I still think it's my good looks."

“Believe what you want to believe. Can we go now?” Chelsea's voice turned into a whine as she continued complaining. “It smells bad here!”

“God, I don't think I like it when you're wasted,” Jay sighed after taking a full three minutes of her whining.

“I prefer Chelsea, but God suits me pretty good too.”

“You're impossible!”

By now Chelsea had comfortably situated herself on Jay's lap, her head leaning on his shoulder as dizziness overcame her.

“Jay,” she said softly, “I feel sick.”

“Oh Chelly,” he sighed. “Why did you drink in the first place? I mean, I can hold my liquor. You, on the other hand...”

“I...” The rest of her sentence was pure gibberish. Jay sighed again before swooping her up into his arms.

“I guess it is time to go home. I think I'm alright to drive- it's only a few blocks anyway.”

“What! No!” Chelsea instantly got her act together and wiggled out of his hold. “We'll catch a cab.”

“And leave my baby here? No way Jose!”

“Baby? More like piece of junk! You're freaking rich, why didn't you get an awesome, fancy car?”

“Because I fell in love with Lucy at first sight! I was going to fix her up and everything!”

“Then why haven't you?” By now they were both drunkenly shouting at each other- huh, so much for holding your liquor Jay. You aren't any better than me- and a small crowd was starting to gather around them.

“I don't know how to! That's why!”

“Are you that stupid? All she needs is for you to replace her gear box and possibly clean all the gunk out of her engine! And then, after you get all that rust off her and give her a proper paint job, she'd be fine! Gosh, you're so-”

“You know about cars?” Jay interrupted.

“I was practically raised by my dad,” was Chelsea's simple response. “Yours is a 69 Ford Fairlane that has been abused and mistreated. Duh.”

“I can't believe you just said duh.”

“Well, I did. Now I'm calling Dad to come and pick us up. But first I'm going to puke a bit.” With that Chelsea went to the bathroom she puked in before.

See, this is why you don't drink alcohol Chelsea. You always end up drinking a couple of drinks, puking, becoming sober and then doing it all over again.

“Hello?” her father answered immediately. Chelsea could still taste the vomit in her mouth, but she did her best to ignore it. At least she was sober now- and hopefully sober enough to not want to drink ever again.

“Hey Daddy, come and pick us up?” Okay, maybe she wasn't that sober. Chelsea couldn't remember the last time she called her father 'Daddy'. Last time she checked, it was either Dad or Henry.

“Are you drunk, kiddo?” He sounded more amused then mad.

“Maybe? Nah. I just puked. So a little bit tipsy.”

“And you want me to pick you up?”

“YOU'RE PSYCHIC!! OOPS!” She accidentally dropped the phone and it landed in the sink. By the time she had picked it up again, her dad had already hung up. “Come on, Jay! We're going now!”

“Alright,” the said male sighed. He was still pouting. They both headed outside and sat down on the sidewalk.

“Hey Jay, what happened between you and Dani? You seemed like you were having a good time?” Chelsea asked suddenly, remembering why she went to talk to Jay in the first place.

“Oh it was horrible,” Jay recounted. “She dragged me to a dark room and made me lay down on the bed as she took off her clothes. And then there was so much pink fluff... I just... I couldn't handle it. So I ran before she could molest me or something.”

“That doesn't mean you had the right to embarrass her in front of everyone! She has a major crush on you, stupid!”

“Stop calling me stupid!”

“Make me, stupid!” Chelsea glared at him challengingly. Just as he was about to jump on her, her dad's car pulled up in front of them.

“Come on kids,” he ordered, “I haven't got all day.”

The two of them quickly climbed into the backseat and then they were speeding home.

When Chelsea woke up the next morning, all she could think about was her banging headache and the warm body next to her.

“Jay?” she croaked out and rolled over. Creaking her eyes open, she examined the boy with messy black hair who was laying beside her. It wasn't like in books, where the girl wakes up wrapped in the boy's arms. It was more like her waking up to find herself on the edge of the bed while Jay snored, hogged the blanket and spread out starfish-fashion next to her. Yeah. Not exactly romantic.

“Go back to sleep Chelly,” the bed hogger replied with a groan. Chelsea poked his cheek repeatedly until he opened his eyes. 

“I need you out of here soon,” she ordered. “You can have a shower after me. There's some aspirin in the top drawer of my dresser. I'll be leaving for work in two hours, so be ready by then if you want a lift to your car.”

Ah, Practical Chelsea. How I've missed you.

Jay grunted in understanding and Chelsea walked off into her bathroom.

Hopefully he wouldn't be too much of a bother.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 4.6K 23
Claire Shaffer has everything she needs in life. Her parents are awesome, she's graduated with honours and she's ready for a summer of fun with her...
113 22 9
Blake Anderson is just trying to have a normal senior year but when Camden shows up on his doorstep, that plan goes out the window. British exchange...
191K 6.1K 35
"You're pregnant" were the words that changed Brooklyn's life. She was loud and crazy and loved by her peers. Has a twin sister who looks just like h...
3.1M 80.5K 44
Carter Miller is a 17 year old girl who started moving around with her mom when her dad died. They end up in her moms hometown for Carter to graduate...