Potter

By lillyanbrooks

Lily Potter is an average 15 year old living in the United States in 2011. When magic upheaves her life and d... More

Potter
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapterlette 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27(Alternate)
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33(FINALLY)
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Epilogue: Part 1/7
Epilogue : Part 2/7
Epilogue : Part 3/7
Epilogue : Part 4/7
Epilogue : Part 5/7
Epilogue : Part 6/7
Epilogue : Part 7/7

Chapter 98

30.8K 1K 1.8K
By lillyanbrooks

"I expect a thirteen page paper on the properties of the Mandrake Restorative Draught by Monday– if it's not turned in, that's not my problem. Announcement of our choices for advanced Healer training will be sent out this weekend, so applicants make certain the hospital has your current address. Those who do not reply within twenty-four hours will have their position given to the next in line."

"Because what does hard work matter if you're tardy?" Theo mumbled from beside me, quill scratching down the information regardless. I rolled my eyes, my own quill tapping uselessly against my paper– I'd just borrow Theo's notes if I needed them. Honestly, that had been my sole studying plan for the past few days, having taken up the habit of day dreaming between (or admittedly, during) St. Mungo's mandatory lectures for trainees.

It'd been sixteen days since I'd married Draco, and fourteen since he'd gone back to school. Twelve since I'd gone back to training. 

Three days since I realized every lecture spoken was on things I had already learned while healing the students of Hogwarts a year ago.

"Be here eight AM sharp Monday morning. I'll see you all then," Healer Dryslin said, flicking his wrist in a dismissive gesture towards the door. The room filled with the sounds of books closing and satchels being filled, and I sighed as I followed suit, slipping my books into my bag– a Christmas gift from the Lupins– and pulled it over my shoulders, its weight eased by magic.

"This almost makes me miss poking at spleens," Theo told me as we filed out of the room, brows furrowed low over his eyes. I let out a soft snort.

"Well, I think we're going to be back to that next week, so you're in luck."

Theo made a face that clearly conveyed he did not consider it luck.

But then, luck hadn't really been our thing the past week.

Really, I blamed it all on living in an apartment whose residents had all had their significant others sent away from them on the same day. Temperaments were bound to be a little high– even Lavender, who much preferred to be cheerful and nonchalant about the whole thing, had gotten a bit of the sniffles.

Theo, on the opposite end of the spectrum, had been perfectly content to mope in bed until I dragged him out of it on Monday morning.

And myself? I was... doing okay. My fingers tended to drift towards my ring a little bit more, touching over the silver and stones as if to reassure myself it was there. Draco had wanted to purchase a smaller band while in Paris, but I had refused– Lavender would have noticed the second I arrived home that I was wearing more jewelry.

"Can we go to the Leaky Cauldron tonight?" Theo asked as we walked, grabbing coats and pulling them over our uniforms. "I need to be reminded there's life outside the hospital."

"I think we're on the same page," I told him with a grimace. "I'll send Lavender a message at work– she'll meet us there, I bet."

"If you're certain," Theo said. "Has she seemed a bit out of sorts to you lately?"

"Just tired. I'm sure she misses Seamus," I told him, shivering under the cold air as we stepped out onto the streets. It was easy to fall instep alongside the muggles, and I shoved my fingers deep into the pockets of my oversized peacoat– a gift from Sirius, as it were. "I think it's for the best we all get out– it's not going to do us any good moping around. As cathartic as it may seem."

"At least I never cried," Theo mumbled, giving me a knowing look. I frowned at him, nose crinkling up as we paused at a crosswalk.

"That was one time." Admittedly, one time that had lasted quite awhile, but– "I was sad. I'd just said goodbye to Draco for who knows how long. I'm still not recovered, actually. I just haven't had the time to cry again."

"Thank Merlin," Theo mumbled, pulling the door to the Leaky Cauldron open and allowing me to step through. I thanked him, beginning to shrug my coat off when a pair of arms crashed around my neck and hugged me tightly.

"I'm so glad you're here!" Lavender Brown cried– quite literally, I realized as something wet dripped onto my skin– and I frowned as I stepped away, holding her by the shoulders. Lavender stared back at me, cheeks splotchy red and hair looked as if it had been repeatedly run through with her fingers.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. Lavender's smile was tired.

"I came to have a drink."

"Are you alright, Lav?" Theo asked, concern washing over his tone as he took my coat from me and hung it up alongside his. Lavender nodded jerkily, lifting a tear-stained sleeve to wipe at her face.

"Yes. No– sort of better now, I guess," she said, giving a small sniff. "Won't you come have a drink?"

"Of course," I said, letting her hand fall to grip mine as she pulled me away, leading me towards a booth she had apparently been occupying. A half-filled glass of Firewhisky sat atop the table, and Tom, upon catching sight of our group, was quick to float two more over.

No one spoke again until we had all sat at the table– Theo next to me on the outside, Lavender across, manicured nails wrapped around her mug as she lifted it her lips. Her blue eyes looked brighter than ever, lined with the red markings of someone who had been crying for quite sometime. I didn't endeavor to imagine the cause, knowing I'd find out soon enough.

"What happened?" Theo was the one to ask, his voice surprisingly soft– but then, St. Mungo's had made a point of remarking on the importance of a Healer's bedside manner. I supposed even Theo's snark could be gentled in the right situation, and I was grateful for it.

Shakily, Lavender raised her hand in a 'one moment' gesture, then went to dig through the bag that occupied the bench beside her. She ruffled through it for only a moment, pulling out two envelopes– one she handed it off to me, saying it had come to our home this afternoon, and the other she held between her own fingers, the edges worn over as if they had been worried at for some time.

The cursive handwriting on the back of the envelope was familiar enough that my heart ached to open it, and an added weight certainly gave it an air of curiosity. But with a look at Lavender's still down-trodden face, I set it aside for the time being.

"When the mail came today," she said, giving a soft sniff, "I got a letter from Seamus– and I was so happy, because he never writes, he always forgets, but– I thought he remembered, finally. So I rushed to open it, and... he broke up with me."

"Through a letter?" Theo looked livid. The expression grew as Lavender nodded, lifting a hand to wipe clumsily at her face as tears began to spill once more.

"Through a letter," she repeated miserably. "He explained he didn't want to do it over the holidays, because– well, they're the holidays, aren't they?– but he didn't want to drag it out any longer than necessary. Because, evidently, our relationship was something that had to be dragged. Out."

"I'm so sorry, Lav," I soothed, reaching out to rest my fingers atop the fabric of her fuchsia sweater. Lavender offered me a grateful smile, though it barely reached her eyes.

"Thanks, Lily."

"I'll apparate straight there and hex him for you, if you like," Theo offered, completely genuine. "I'm sure the others would be more than ready to help."

"Thank you," Lavender said. She looked a tad befuddled by the offer. "But... no. Don't.  He– it sucks, but he was very polite about it. He didn't bullshit me. I can be grateful for that, at least. He wasn't mean, or rude, it just–"

"Hurts anyway," I offered when she faltered. Lavender nodded, brushing her caramel colored hair back when it fell from its braids. 

"It hurts a lot," she said. "I just didn't expect it, is all.  Everything seemed mostly fine over the holidays, and then all of the sudden it's over. And I don't know what I've done wrong."

"Nothing," Theo assured her quickly. "You did nothing wrong, and he's an ass."

The look Lavender regarded him with was dry. "Thanks, Theo," she told him, and then offered me a small smile. "And you too, Lily. I guess I have it easier now, anyway– one less person to miss, right?"

"Right," I agreed, even as the thought pulled tenderly at my chest. "Doesn't mean you can't mourn the relationship for a little while, though."

"Yeah," Lavender sighed, lifting her firewhisky up to her lips. "I'll drink wine and cry more later. Are you up for a movie night?"

"It's Friday– I'm always up for a move night," I assured. Theo let out a huff, a clear show of displeasure; of course, it was mostly for show. Theo loved the movie nights as much as Lavender and I did, if not more. He claimed the movies aided his ever-growing knowledge of the muggle world; I just thought he liked romantic comedies more than he cared to admit. Lavender nodded, a small smile appearing. She set her glass down.

"Good," she said. Then– "Now open that letter of yours, I know it must be killing you."

"Not quite killing, but the pain was getting a bit unbearable," I joked, even as I slipped my fingers under the edge of the envelope and slid it open. Something clinked inside as I moved it, and I frowned as I slipped the letter out, the pouring the rest of its contents into my hand– ten galleons.

The top line of the letter came with the explanation.

Lovegood figured it out– I don't know how, but she did, and I was to busy smiling to deny it. You win.

"Lovegood never sends me money," Theo remarked dryly, moving to peek at the letter over my shoulder. I moved, pressing the letter to my chest and frowning up at him.

"It's private," I hushed him. He looked a bit amused at my defensiveness, but shrugged and went back to his drink and Lavender, who had begun asking about our day at work.

I took the opportunity to scan over the rest of the letter.

I've– somehow– refrained from telling anyone else. Blaise, I believe, has his suspicions. If you get any inquiring letters, just throw them in a fire– as much as he chides Theo for it, Blaise is just as tenacious when it comes to finding out something he wants to know. 

I miss you. Wife, fiancee, girlfriend,  best friend– regardless of what title you may go by, I miss you. Of course, it's a small mercy you're not here, as Slytherin is going to absolutely destroy your lion's den in the Quidditch match next week, and I feel I would do a poor job at comforting you. 

Your brother has begun an unstoppable reign of madness, I think. He and those three friends of his have been running the halls like thieves all week. Somehow, one of them managed to charm the kitchen's entry way into requiring a password. Caiden gave it to me, naturally because I am his favorite, but I think the Hufflepuffs will be looking for a fight shortly. Hopefully McGonagall will sort it out– Even Caiden and his friends may not be able to hold his own against a thoroughly pissed Hufflepuff.

Classes have been continuing as normal. Oddly, I find I've learned a penchant for Transfiguration. Slughorn is disappointed– apparently all Slytherins must excel in potions for some ridiculous reason– but I'm content where my magical abilities lie. Blaise can handle the potions, as well as Slughorn's fawning.

I miss you. Merlin, I miss you. I seem to have left my head in Paris. C'est la vie, I suppose.

I hope you've been well. Safe. Busy, in the way you like to be. 

I love you, Lily Potter.

Yours

The smile that had formed while reading stayed on my face for the rest of the evening.

The movie night had been nice– needed, between Lavender's post-break-up blues and Theo and I's wait to see if we had made it into advanced training for the next quarter. The letters had begun flying out Saturday morning. Some of our classmates had heard and been accepted already; three of the seven spots had been filled.

"How did Eloise get in before us?" Theo mumbled. He lounged on the couch, one leg drooped off of the edge and his wand pointed to levitate a cup of still-steaming tea. Eloise's excited announcement had slid down to the carpet. "It just doesn't make sense. She's sweet, sure, but the witch can't stir a cauldron to save her life."

"Her mother is pretty high up in the Ministry, though," Lavender remarked from the kitchen counter, flipping through the latest issues of the Daily Prophet and Quibbler. "That could have had something to do with it."

"Ugh." 

Theo had a point– the idea wasn't an endearing one. Even as I sat curled up on the chair by the fireplace, legs kicked up on the coffee table and fingers working quickly at the knitting needles and ball of Slytherin green yarn that sat in my lap I frowned, annoyed by the implications."I wish it wasn't like that."

Lavender shrugged. "Connections matter."

Head slumping back onto a cushion, Theo gave a long sigh. "Well, I'm screwed."

I directed my frown to Theo. "You'll be fine," I told him. "Damn the connections– You're skilled enough that they aren't necessary anyway."

His gaze was wry as he looked at me. "Aw, Brownie, you'll make me blush."

"I thought you rejected all norms of human emotion, Nott," I said with feigned disinterest, moving my outward attention back to my knitting. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Theo squint at me, tan nose crinkling up.

"You're touchy today."

"I didn't sleep well." Not a lie– though the nightmares were usually better so long after the war, some still stuck around. I'd woken up at four in the morning, my heart pounding and body drenched in sweat. I'd showered, dressed, and gone out to the kitchen to make tea and write Draco back, a soothing habit I'd taken up over the past few months when ever nightmares took their toll. Unfortunately, it did have its consequences– It was eleven now, and the lack of sleep was starting to take its toll.

"Nightmares?" Lavender's tone was sympathetic– there wasn't one of us in this apartment that didn't suffer from time to time. I managed a small nod, fingers slowing to stop before I let the needles drop completely into my lap.

"Nothing unusual, but I think the nerves about training are getting to me," I admitted with a grimace. I moved the yarn and needles to the coffee table before rising, taking a moment to stretch out of my legs and arms with a heavy sigh– bones cracked. Theo made a sound of disgust. Lavender frowned.

"I'm sorry," she said, only to jump when a tapping arrived at the living room window. We all turned, eyebrows raised at the owl that had perched itself on the windowsill, letter in tow. Though I'd been standing, Theo got to the window first, his movements careful as he popped open the latch and slid it to allow the owl inside. It flew inside without invitation, circling the room once before dropping the letter on the coffee table and taking home in the small stand Lavender had gotten for such arrivals. I could already hear her rummaging through the kitchen to grab it a small treat.

"It's from Hogwarts," I announced, a little surprised– I'd thought I wouldn't see one of the Hogwarts owls for quite some time. "It's for me."

Open it, then," Theo prodded as he re-latched the window. "The curiosity is killing me."

"Ooh, do wait a while longer Lily," Lavender suggested, offering me a small wink as she crossed the room towards the owl. Theo scowled at her, brown eyes rolling back to me with a look of exasperation. I merely shrugged at him, then reached down to pluck the letter from the table and slice it open. 

The parchment inside was crisp and clean, filled with a neat writing always recognizable by its emerald ink.

Miss Lily Potter, it began.

I am requesting your presence in the Headmistress's office this Saturday the sixteenth, at noon sharp. If unable to come, please reply so as soon as this owl has been received. If you are able, no owl is required, and I expect to see you then.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Headmistress

I took a moment to assess the emotions churning in my chest, the puzzlement furrowing my brow and curving my lips into a small frown. Theo had come to stand and peer over my shoulder, ignoring Lavender's repeated questions of what it was.

"I guess I'm going back to Hogwarts," I said after a moment. Lavender's eyebrows popped up high.

"Whatever for?" She asked. Then– "Not that it's bad, I mean, but it seems a little out of nowhere."

"It is," I agreed. "And it doesn't say. I hope everything's alright."

"It's Hogwarts– everything'll be fine," Theo said, reaching around me to pluck the letter from my fingers and hold it up to his face. "You know, I'm not convinced this isn't Malfoy's attempt to get you there and–"

"Theo," I huffed, and sunk an elbow back into his side. Theo flinched, looking completely unrepentant. Where she stood feeding the owl, Lavender let out a small giggle– the grinned in apology when I frowned at her.

"Sorry," she said. Theo didn't repeat the apology, instead falling back down onto the couch with a gentle thump. I leant down and grabbed the letter from his hands, ignoring him when he stuck his tongue out at me in favor of reading through the letter once last time to make sure I had read everything correctly.

"So twelve– that gives me an hour. I suppose I should get dressed."

"You mean you don't want Minnie McGonagall to see your black-cat sleeping shorts? I think she'd be flattered," Theo said, appearing quite pleased with himself. I fought back a laugh to stick my tongue out at him, a gesture which he returned. Lavender let out a huff.

"I live with children," she complained, lifting a polished hand to stroke at the bird's feathers. "I'm keeping the bird. It's a more mature companion."

"We'll see if you'll still be saying that when it shits on your floor," Theo mumbled, reaching for the tv remote and turning it on before Lavender could get a word out. She simply stared at him in annoyance, blue eyes narrowed and turning away only when she went to let the owl back outside. 

Confident they wouldn't kill each other in our living room, I went to change. As flattered as Theo thought McGonagall might be by my sleepwear, I decided to play it safe by going for boots, jeans, and an old Gryffindor Quidditch sweater that was probably Ginny's but had somehow become mine. 

Ruffling my hair– I'd let it air dry that morning, which always made it a little haphazard at its shorter length– I didn't bother with makeup before marching back out to the living room. It was a small relief that both Lavender and Theo were still alive, somehow managing to amicably watch muggle television while I flicked my wand and made sure the dishes in the sink washed themselves.

"You both better behave while I'm gone– Theo, Lavender's still recovering, so I expect you to be nice. Perhaps buy her ice cream."

The response I got was mostly a muttered protest, but no bickering seemed to take place, so I was pleased. The two were often like firecrackers– if put in short range, one often set off the other. They'd gotten better, in a begrudgingly fond way, and especially if the other one really needed it– but I'd certainly had to stick around to place peace-maker more than once since we'd moved in. 

"Say hi to everyone for me," Lavender called when I was preparing to leave forty minutes later, having finished the dishes as well as accomplishing the last rows of the scarf I'd been working on. I draped it over a pleased Theo's shoulders before ducking into the fireplace.

Stepping out into the Headmistress's office, I took a deep breath as I found myself surrounded by familiar walls and bookshelves, rare January sunlight filtering in through the wide windows. If I didn't know better, I could expect Severus to step through the door at any moment, and my heart thudded a familiar dull ache. 

Minerva Mcgonagall looked up from the desk and smiled in her usual proper way.

"Thank you for coming, Miss Potter," she said. "I understand St. Mungo's is announcing their advanced training decisions, and I hated to pull your attention away from that, but I've stumbled over something that requires your attention."

"It was absolutely no problem– I'm glad you wrote," I said, and meant it. Minerva nodded, lifting a hand to gesture to the seat in front of her desk.

"Take a seat, please," she told me, and though it wasn't really an order, I obeyed quickly, crossing the small path from fireplace to desk and sitting down. Familiar leather pressed into my legs, and I let my fingers wrap around the arm of the chair to steady myself. Minerva's smile had turned sympathetic, but lacked pity. "How have you been, Miss Potter?"

"Quite well," I said, a little breathlessly. "And yourself?"

"I'm doing the best I can," she said in good-humor. "The school is still standing, though it's certainly taken some work– it was only yesterday I was able to sort through the desk's belongings, you know. I wasn't quite sure what to expect– both Albus and Severus had their mysteries– but I did stumble upon this."

I wasn't sure what 'this' was supposed to be until she pulled the letter into view, its age visible in the way its parchment was wrinkled and the dark ink smudged. If my heart had ached before, now it had been thoroughly gouged.

"It was in the bottom drawer," Minerva said, eyes visibly softening at my face– I wondered what she saw. I couldn't figure out myself. "It was dated the day of the war, and meant for you, if I'm not mistaken."

She offered it to me, and carefully, I pulled it from her fingers. All movement in my chest had stopped as I looked at the envelope, the curling ink that bled into its pale parchment.

For the eyes of my goddaughter - 5/1/98

I swallowed down the lump in my throat to manage a small smile– I suppose the eyes of Lily Potter could be taken in too many ways. Leave to Severus to write down the absolute option.

"Thank you," I said, soft enough that I supposed Minerva could have missed it, but she smiled and nodded anyway, taking the liberty of rising form her desk.

"Of course," she said. "You're welcome to the office as long as you need it. A Quidditch match is ongoing, they are entertaining to observe regardless of the houses playing."

"A  Quidditch match? I thought that wasn't until next week," I said with some surprise. Minerva nodded.

"The official game is– this one is the students' idea for house unity," she said. "While we still have the official matches, games were set up in between. Friendlier, I suppose, though beaters swing just as hard. I believe it's Slytherin versus Ravenclaw this afternoon, if you were interested in viewing the spectacle."

"I suppose I might as well. Thank you, Headmistresses."

She dipped her head. "Anytime, Potter. The password to get back in is McGregor," she told me, then made a point of skirting from the room in regal fashion. I waited until I heard the door to the office slip shut before I opened the letter. My fingers were careful with the parchment, though it was no more fragile than I was– but some part of me revered in, heart longing for some further sign of Severus's presence as I slid the letter out.

Lily,

I have thought many times on the necessity of this letter, or one like it, in the likelihood of a better alternative, though your visit to my office this afternoon has endeavored me to reconsider. I have not received the opportunity to do so previously, but have decided to do so now in the chance that I do not see the end of this war. Here is in the hopes that you do.

What property and value of mine I have owned in this life shall be passed down to you, as you are the closest and only person in which I would see it passed onto. You may discard everything you receive, if you see fit to do so. My family's house in Spinner's End is quite dismissible, and likely better off abandoned. Its contents, however, are yours to peruse to your preference, as are whatever remains in my Gringotts vault.

Present this letter to one of the Gringotts goblins; they shall see to it that all will be done as I have requested it. This letter bears my signature and is irrefutable in a courtroom, I assure you.

Wherever you are reading this, whenever it might be, I hope it finds you well.

I apologize if I am not there. While death has long lost its effect on me, I perhaps would have enjoyed seeing you grow further. You came far while I knew you.

I am glad you did not give up on Draco Malfoy.

I reiterate my previous sentiment: It was an honor.

- Severus Snape

I lifted a hand to wipe the tears from my face before they could land on the letter. I wondered when he had written in it– if he had debated after I'd left, or had sat down immediately. I wondered if I had given anything away. If I couldn't have changed something.

Then, slowly, I quieted the thoughts. What happened, happened. I took a deep breath, wiped away the last of the tears– thank Merlin I'd not worn makeup– and folded the letter back up. It seemed I'd have to visit Gringotts tomorrow and make sure everything was in order. Then I would see what to do about it.

"Oh, Sev," I murmured, looking around the office. It was changed, everything was changed, and yet... "I miss you." The words had to be said out loud, left to crackle over the silence. "I miss you a lot, Severus Snape."

I was greeted with silence, but smiled anyway.

If he was here, he would've rolled his eyes.

_

Walking down the halls of Hogwarts after the war was a strange experience. Mainly because it looked as though nothing had changed– the walls had been rebuilt, statues set back in places, portraits righted. Everything was normal. And I couldn't tell how I felt about it.

I knew I felt better the closer I got to the Quidditch stands, the fresh air loosening the ache in my chest and the cheers lifting whatever other parts of me had felt low. It wasn't hard to find the entry way, to climb up the spirals. I considered, briefly, going to the Gryffindor stands– I'd certainly blend in with my sweater, and it was packed enough my appearance could go largely unnoticed. But I caught sight of Blaise halfway there and changed direction. 

He brightened visibly when he saw me. "The hell are you doing here?" He asked as he hugged me, asking the Slytherin next to him to scoot over so I stand properly  beside him. I smiled, giving a small shrug. Wind whipped by the stands, and I struggled to push my hair back behind my ears before answering.

"McGonagall had something for me– and I figured I couldn't miss a game, anyway," I told him, frowning a little as my eyes combed through the rest of the stands, unable to pick up on the familiar shade of blond. "Where's Draco?"

Blaise looked incredibly amused.

"You didn't know?" He asked, and when I frowned in confusion, he pointed– not to the stands, but out and upwards. My eyes followed, wide when I finally caught onto what he was gesturing to. It wasn't entirely unbelievable I'd missed him without a closer look, as he was certainly high enough. But up in the sky, dressed in Quidditch robes and sat atop a broom, was my husband.

"He didn't tell me was still playing!" I murmured, breath catching in chest when the broom he was on dived, and he followed suit. My fingers instinctively went to grip onto Blaise's arm, and I heard him laugh even over the whoop of the crowd around us as the Slytherin chaser– a girl, I realized with some delight– scored a goal on the Ravenclaw team.

"He didn't want you to feel obliged to come to any games," Blaise admitted, looking a little apologetic at my aghast expression.

"Obliged?" I hissed, jumping when wind flew by again– a bludger, I realized, as a beater flew after it. "I'm gonna kill him for not telling me."

"Let him get the snitch first, if you please," a voice chimed from behind me, and I turned to see an amused-looking first year watching me, her eyebrow raised. She was a severe looking little thing, all pursed lips and sharp cheekbones accented by the short cut of her hair. When I raised an eyebrow back, she smiled, revealing endearingly crooked teeth behind pink lips. "You're Lily Potter, right?"

"I am," I said. She nodded, then stuck a gloved hand out.

"Alys Mayworth," she said. "I'm a friend of Caiden's– he and the others are sitting with Ravenclaw."

I shook her hand, ignoring the rough chafing of wool against my palm in favor of smiling back at her. "It's great to meet you, Alys."

"You too," she said, brown eyes sparkling in a pretty way before she dropped my attention and her eyes were pulled back to the game. I let my own focus do the same, mouth popping open in some shock when Draco flew– up, up, up– until he was no more than speck in the sky. But even from here, I could see something gold flash below him, and  getting lower.

Once he saw it, there was no way the Ravenclaw seeker would catch up in time.

"He's gonna do it," Blaise murmured from beside me. "If he catches it now, Slytherin wins, hands-down."

"It's not an official game though, is it?" I asked, brows furrowing. Blaise shook his head, then shot me a small grin.

"Nah," he told me. "But that doesn't make it any less competitive– ah, there he goes."

By 'there he goes', Blaise meant the moment Draco dove, too fast, too hard, fingers outstretched towards the snitch. The Ravenclaw seeker had caught on and was flying fast, rising inches while Draco fell feet. Still, my breath held until the moment I saw Draco's fingers wrap around the gold.

The cheering around me roaring– not just from the Slytherin stands, but from a decent amount of students all over the stands– though Ravenclaw's was certainly muted from the loss. Some boos still peppered the stadium. I didn't care. I could only cheer, trying to hide my massive grin behind my hands in fear of looking insane. The noise was an exhilarating sort of deafening, the kind that lifted the soul and made the heart beat wildly.

"We can go meet him on the ground," Blaise said by my ear, and I nodded, letting him grab onto my hand and guide me away from the churning stands. The yells echoed down the stairway as we hurried down it–The teams were just touching grass as we arrived on the field, though Blaise and I stuck to the sides as they shook hands.

It was endearingly amicable, I realized– the Ravenclaw team, even after having been beat, appeared pleased with their performance. And no taunts had erupted from Slytherin; there was merely the exhilaration that came with having done well.

Draco had been saying something to another player when he caught sight me, grey eyes widening and a small grin tugging at his lips. I wiggled my fingers at him, smile sheepish. I could only look some with some amusement as he broke away from the conversation and headed for me, an eyebrow raised, Quidditch robes trailing behind him.

I let go of Blaise's arm to meet him half way. Draco didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around my waist and lift me up off of my feet, spinning in a way that would've been dizzying in any other situation. Now, though, I only laughed, beaming up at him when he set me down on my feet again. Part of me wanted to lean forward, to kiss him soundly, properly, but the prying eyes around us kept me at bay– at least until it was Draco who moved forward, fingers tucking under my chin and tilting my head up so he could kiss me.

He tasted like wind and peppermint, and my head spun with the thrill of it, fingers lifting to knot in the fabric of his Slytherin Quidditch sweater. We must look quite the pair, the two of us.

I could hear whistles from the stands– who it was, I didn't bother to find out, though some part of me did register the loud cry of "HEY THAT'S MY SISTER!" from the Ravenclaw section, followed by a bout of laughter. Draco pulled back to rest his forehead against mine, eyes seeming to glow with adrenaline as he looked at me.

"I didn't know you were going to be here," he murmured with a grin, the hands that cradled my face blocking out the rest of the world around us. I smiled back at him.

"Of course," I said. "I can't believe you didn't tell me, you ass– I didn't even know you still played!"

"It's a rather new thing," he admitted. "I decided not to tell you until I'd played a game or two and decided if it was worth staying."

"Well, I hope you do," I said, meaning it. "The rest of your house might hex you if you don't."

"I suppose they might," he agreed a little wryly, hand dropping down to twine with mine even as he stepped back. Warm leather pressed into my palm. "Why are you here? Not that I'm complaining– very far from it– but I'm certain you didn't come just to see me."

"I would've," I murmured, pleased at the delight that lit up his eyes before I continued on, "But McGonagall found a letter from Severus for me to look over– all good things. He gave me his estate."

Draco's eyebrows shot up. "Merlin," he said shortly, eyes flitting away from my face when a presence appeared near my shoulder. I nearly jumped when a hand landed on my shoulder, albeit in a gentle fashion, and turned to see Luna standing there, soft features pulled into a smile.

"Hello, Lily," she told me warmly, then her eyes flit over to my husband. "Wonderful flying, Draco."

"Thank you, Lovegood," Draco replied, looking a little amused. Luna was just the first of the ground to come around us– Blaise followed her, Caiden and a crowd of familiar Gryffindors on his heels.

"Ravenclaw could've had it!" Caiden crowed as he skipped forward, managing to wrap his arms around me in a brief hug even as his eyes remained on Draco. "You just had to catch the snitch!"

"Could've done so ten minutes earlier if he didn't dawdle in the air so long," Harry chimed, no malice in his tone. Draco merely looked bemused by the comment. Next to Harry was Ginny, her arm loosely linked with his and a wide grin on her face as she looked at me.

"It was a good game," she said. "I mean, you'll have no chance against Gryffindor next week, but still."

"Just wait and see, Weasley," Draco murmured, and I squeezed his hand. With my other hand I reached out, draping an arm over Luna's shoulders, pleased when the Ravenclaw leant into me. Blue eyes were curious as they peered upwards.

"I don't suppose Theodore is here too, is he?"

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, Luna," I told her. "If I'd known there was a game, I would've brought him."

"Oh, it's fine," she said, evidently meaning it– her smile had lessened ever so slightly, though. "He didn't need to see Ravenclaw lose, anyway."

"As if he'd ever hold it over you," came Neville's scoff, and I beamed as my best friend came into view. "Hey, Lily."

"Cousin," I teased back for greeting, and Neville grinned at me, a light-hearted gesture I had missed. It was a little weird, to be standing here on the Quidditch pitch like this– surrounded by all sides of my heart, with none of them trying to tear each other apart. Part of me longed for it, and for the smallest of seconds, I regretted my decision of not coming back to Hogwarts.

"Oh– Lily, you've got meet my friends," Caiden interrupted my thoughts, blue eyes clear as they looked up at me. "Just since you didn't get the chance during the holiday."

Indeed, a gaggle of first years in different scarves stood a little ways behind him, all peering somewhat curiously towards where we stood. When I caught one's eye, he blushed, eyes studiously ducking downwards. I smiled as I looked back to my brother.

"Of course, Caiden," I said, and he grinned. I regretted the loss of Draco's hand in mine, having to pull away to follow my brother, but Draco told me he needed to shower off anyway and that he'd see me later– as well that he'd hex me if I left without saying goodbye. I was mostly sure he was joking.

Caiden's friends perked up considerably as I headed towards them, though Alys merely offered a sly grin and sparkling brown eyes in greeting as Caiden halted, and I with him.

"Guys," he began, sounding very official, "This is my sister, Lily– the war hero."

The war hero. I held back a snort– then saw the expression on their faces.

"Oh, man," the one in a thick Ravenclaw scarf murmured. Alys rolled her eyes and nudged him with her elbow.

"Lily," Caiden then, shooting his friend a small town before gesturing to the Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin in order. "This is Robert, Benji, and Alys."

"Alys and I met in the stands," I told him, offering the Slytherin girl a small finger-wiggle in greeting, "but it's nice to meet you, Robert and Benji."

Benji beamed, hazel eyes shining under a pair of thick-framed glasses. He held out a hand to me, and I allowed him to take and shake my own hand eagerly.

"It's nice to finally meet you," he said. "Caiden's said a lot about you."

"Mostly good things, I hope," I said good-naturedly. Ays's wicked grin had me wondering. But Benji nodded, hand dropping mine.

"All good things," the first-year promised, then looked over to Robert. "Anything you want to say?"

Robert looked at him, then lifted his hands up. It took a second for me to recognize sign language, having not been privy to it since my time in high school, but it was easy enough to catch on once his fingers and hands started moving in swift and clean movements. When he was done, Benji looked back at me with a smile and said, "He says it's nice to meet you, too."

Robert nodded, pale face turning a little pink again when he looked at me– he smiled though. I smiled back.

"It's wonderful to meet the both of you," I told them, noticing the way Caiden looked back and forth between his friends as they were the best people in the world, eyes bright and body practically humming with an excitable sort of energy.

"We're going to head down to the kitchens and get some food," he said to me. "Do you want to come with?"

"I'd love to..." I started, my smile turning a tad more apologetic as I looked over to my brother, "But I think I've got to head back home soon. You go on, though– and write me more, won't you?"

"Yeah, yeah," my brother dismissed, and rolled his eyes in typical eleven-year-old fashion. He offered me a brisk hug and a goodbye, and then he was sprinting off the field, the rest of his group on his heels. I smiled fondly as they went, and then went to meet up with the rest of the Gryffindor clan before they headed off field. Ginny made sure to link arms with me once I arrived, and dragged Harry and I along with her as she spoke about Quidditch practice– Harry butting in occasionally with equal vigor– and classes so far.

It was at least thirty minutes before I was able to break away, citing a late night doing homework– not a complete lie– and waiting for a response from St. Mungo's as my reasons for leaving so soon. I left the Great Hall to having experienced dozens of hugs and the sound of many "good-lucks!" that followed me into the hallway.

It took roughly two minutes of wandering the halls– a habit I seemed to have not broken even after so much time away from the school– before I made the decision of wandering down to the dungeons of Hogwarts, in the hopes that doing so would put me closer to the path of Draco. They were largely empty, most of the student body surely upstairs, though torches still lit the way across the darker halls.

It had been a clever decision.

"The hell are you doing down here?" The question came from behind me, and I turned to see my husband coming down the halls towards where I had been wandering. He'd changed into the expected Slytherin uniform, his hair left damp and grey eyes shining in the torch light when he saw me. I smiled, quickening  my pace a few steps to get to him faster. Like on the Quidditch field, he picked me up– unlike the Quidditch field, he didn't set me down right away.

"Wife," he murmured happily as I held his face between my hands, smiling down at him.

"Husband," I replied in similar fashion, reaching my arms around his neck as he put me down onto my feet. "I missed you, so I decided to brave the dungeons and find you myself."

"How very brave you are," he teased. "You could get lost down here, you know."

"You'd find me." I was confident in it. He grinned, apparently sure of it too. A hand dropped from around my waist to find my own, fingers twining together as he lifted them up to his lips and pressed a kiss to the back of my hand. In the dungeon's torchlight, my engagement ring shimmered fantastically.

"Always," he told me, then lowered our hands. "We should go, though. I imagine you'll have to return home soon, and you likely don't want to spend your time here in the cold and dark."

"You may have a fair point," I admitted, "but I'll take what I can get if it means I'm with you."

His eyes shined. "You're insufferable," he said fondly. "Come on, Potter. You know how Theo gets if he thinks he's been abandoned."

"I'm sure he'll survive for a few more minutes," I said, though refrained from protesting even as he used our lace hands to pull me along, setting a casual pace through the dungeon halls. They weren't necessarily unpleasant, and the lack of light was soothing enough once the eyes adjusted, but I couldn't imagine surrounding myself with it all the time. I'd miss the sky and fiery warmth of Gryffindor tower.

And its lack of chambers.

Hogwarts didn't have many empty chambers anymore, preferring to use the rooms for more relevant things like classrooms and extra storage. However, a few remained around– the Carrows had been particularly fond of them.

Clearly, Draco remembered that tidbit, too. He'd come to a slow halt beside me, head tilted towards the open door and the room it bled into. It was weird, seeing it from the outside– I was more acquainted with the room from the inside after all, and even then, it had been all shadows and shackles and pain. It looked deceivingly innocent now, a half-open wooden door and a room of cement. It might not even be the same cell; there was no way of knowing.

Still, the memories remained.

"I'd forgotten this was down here," Draco murmured, a worn sort of pain to his throat that ached at something inside of me. His hand tightened over mine. "We should go."

Instead, I stepped closer towards the door, letting my arm pull behind me when he stayed still. Peering inside, I frowned a little at the utter plainness of the layout– with the shackles removed, it was only three walls and a doorway.

Perfectly harmless.

"I thought you were going to die." Draco's voice was quiet from behind me. He let go of my hand, deciding instead to wrap his arms around me from behind, their presence sure and warm around my waist. "That night. I'd finally found out it was you, I finally knew, and I thought I'd lost you in the same breath."

"But you didn't."

"I know," he said, but his arms squeezed tighter around me. "But some nights, on bad nights, I can still here you crying my name. You were calling for me, because of me, and I was right there..." He sighed, the breath moving warm against the back of my neck. "I got so drunk the next day, I hardly remember it. I remember the relief of knowing you were who I thought you were, and the pain of understanding what I had put you through."

"It worked out in the end," I murmured, lacing my fingers over his, leaning back into his chest. "That's what matters. Any pain was worth it for that. For you."

"Still," he said, leaning down to press his lips to my shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"You can spend the rest of forever making it up to me," I promised him, spinning carefully in his arms to face him and lift my own arms up over his shoulders, "but I didn't come here to dwell on such things. I came here to get a letter from my godfather, and to admire my husband's secret Quidditch skills– which I still resent you hiding from me, by the way. I do expect an apology for that."

His lips quirked up. "I'm sorry," he said, and slowly, some of the tension lifted from his shoulders, a mischievous glimmer in his eyes as he looked at me. "I suppose I'm being rather depressing, aren't I?"

"Don't worry– I love you regardless," I promised, pushing up onto my toes to press my lips to his cheek. I wasn't entirely caught off guard when he turned his head to kiss me properly, fingers lifting up to twine in the short locks of my hair. The cold cement of the wall pressed against my shoulder blades, and I wondered if I'd really be home on time after all.

Ah, I thought, my fingers twined with his as we snuck into the Slytherin common room. To hell with it.

_

Stepping out of the fireplace, I couldn't keep the smile off of my face. Even on the walk back to the Headmistress's office to leave it had been there, though little more subdued under Minerva's raised eyebrows, but just as pleasant as the warmth that still clung to my bones.

Now, I brushed the ash off of my jeans, from the sleeves of my sweater, and discreetly made sure the neck of my sweater stayed appropriately high as Lavender turned the corner into the living room, a spoon in one hand and a pint of chocolate ice cream in the other. Like earlier, she was still in sweatpants and an old t-shirt.

"You're back!" She said, cheerfully at first, then– "Where the hell have you been?"

"I got caught up," I told her. "There was lots of people to see. It took some time."

"I'm sure," she said, her tone wry and distinctly unconvinced. She turned to glance back down the way she had came, hazelnuts curls hanging in a messy fashion over one shoulder as she called, "Nott, she's back!"

"Took her bloody long enough!" Came the call back, followed by the loud slam of a door opening. "I've been staring at those letters all afternoon–"

"The letters?" I questioned, voice increasing in pitch with every word. "They showed up?"

"Of course they did!" Theo said as he came into view, two spring-green envelopes held in his grip. "You didn't really think they wouldn't, did you?"

"I was anxious enough. Did you open yours?"

"Of course not, I was waiting for you!" He said, thrusting out an envelope into my hands. Its ink was a silky grey, cursive and clearly printed. I held it between my fingers with care, letting out a deep breath. Again, my future arrived to me in an envelope.

Lovely.

"On the count of three, or just tear into it?" Theo asked, eyebrow raised. Lavender gave a small snort. I'd already slipped my fingers under the lip of the envelope.

"Just tear into it," I told him, and the hall was filled with the sounds of paper, of it being torn and unfolded. My breath was caught in my chest as I scanned through the letter's contents, the relief pounding through my system when I realized what it said.

"We made it!" Theo crowed, throwing the letter up into the air. "Lavender, fetch the champagne!"

"It's going to go horrible with our Thai take-out tonight," Lavender murmured, but offered me a small grin and moved to grab the drink from the kitchen.

"That's not in the spirit of celebration!" Theo called after her, and I laughed as I followed after them both, entirely too giddy about the day and its turn-out. Tomorrow there'd be a bank to visit, and a paper to write, and surely too many people to miss, but tonight I joined in on our at-home celebration and loved every second of it.

*

* *

* * *

* * * *

* * * * *

Hello hello hello! This chapter is a few days late, and I am SO SORRY. Life got busy for awhile there, and when I wasn't being busy, I was sleeping. Honestly, I just really need it to be Friday, so I can have a weekend to catch up.

I don't really know how I feel about this chapter. Am I allowed to admit that as a writer? Perhaps I'm just tired. I absolutely adored the last one, so I think it was always going to be hard to top, but I also didn't want to do anything extravagant directly afterwards because eventually that gets exhausting to read, so... here we are. A chapter full of our favorite trio of roommates, a little bit bitter sweet angst, and a little bit of our favorite lovebirds sneaking around like the teenagers they actually are. How I adore them so. 

And speaking of lovebirds: I've decided to do the Valentine's short stories this year!! Ta-duh!! You all asked so politely for it, I simply couldn't resist.

The rules (these are important, pls read):

1. Comment a Harry Potter(of any era) couple and prompt/theme to your preference. If you see someone has already put the same couple you want, PLEASE try your best to comment under their comment– it makes sorting out votes/prompts so so much easier!

2. The top three pairings will be the ones written about; all is fair. Prompts given will be taken into consideration by me and used accordingly if I feel it is appropriate/fits the couple/isn't terribly tricky to write.

3. The three stories will be posted by the Friday(2/17/17) after Valentine's day (my schedule allowing!). They will be available in my short story compilation book, where you are also able to read other Valentine's day one-shots as well! 

4. Voting for couples opens tonight(2/6/17), and ends this Friday( 2/10/17). Any votes/prompts/etc. given after this date will be ignored! So so sorry. But I've gotta have order somewhere in my life.

5. This is an utter cliche, but have fun with it! It's not a competition or anything like that– just my Valentine's gift to you guys for being the lovely humans you are.

AND that is all! If I've forgotten something (which my tired brain is likely to at the moment) I will add it later and beg for your forgiveness. Also keep an eye out on my profile, as I may post updates there according to what is going on in my life/with the stories.

And as usual, your opinions matter so very much to me– so clue me in by voting, commenting, or sending me a quick message! I read everything I get and reply to what I can! 

Luv ya'll,

-Lily

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.6K 1.6K 49
Y/n Fawley grew up in the wizarding world, her parents both being from pureblood families. And now, it's finally time for her to start Hogwarts. Alon...
584K 15.3K 10
This is the story of an extraordinary little girl. Orphaned as a baby, Emily grows up as a peculiar ten-year-old with abilities that not only frighte...
262 1 9
This is a story of an extraordinary little girl. Orphaned as a baby, Catherine grows up as a peculiar ten-year-old with abilities that not only frigh...
7.7K 196 17
Having turned 11 this year was what he had been waiting for most of his life, a chance to learn magic and more about his family. Join (Y/n) and his n...