Scarred | βœ”

By masoomaaa

Elene Fox is hiding. Hiding from the past and the future to come. She wants nothing else than to blend in the... More

Chapter 1: I Promise.
Chapter 2: Letter Guy.
Chapter 3: Burn Me Alive.
Chapter 4: I Like Challenges.
Chapter 5: Made You Smile.
Chapter 6: So Close.
Chapter 7: I Like You This Way.
Chapter 8: Double Or Triple date?
Chapter 9: Spark.
Chapter 10: Moving On? Not So Much.
Chapter 11: Fingers Crossed.
Chapter 12: Still Need To Practice.
Chapter 13: Fake It.
Chapter 14: Kidding Myself.
Chapter 15: I Let Him.
Chapter 17: Capture The Flags
Chapter 18: Top Roping
Chapter 19: Truth or Dare?
Chapter 20: You're Wasted.
Chapter 21: Falling For Different.
Chapter 22: Understatement Of The Century.
Chapter 23: My Type.
Chapter 24: Seven.
Chapter 25: The Letter.
Chapter 26: ClichΓ©.
Chapter 27: Always In The Eyes.
Chapter 28: Package Deal.
Chapter 29: Practically In Love.
Chapter 30: Apologize.
Chapter 31: Exposed.
Chapter 32: Blurred.
Chapter 33: Hung Up.
Chapter 34: Hey.
Chapter 35: A Bit Nerve Racking.
Chapter 36: Chaos.
Chapter 37: Balloons And A Message.
Chapter 38: Typically Highschool-ed.
Chapter 39: Everything.
Chapter 40: Not Your Typical Ending.
Acknowledgements!!!

Chapter 16: I Know The Story

192 20 4
By masoomaaa

Hey, yeah I’m going, actually I’m just leaving for camp. Anyways, are you gonna be at the camp? Well, you obviously won’t answer that but worth a shot. Lol.
                                                     Elene.

I closed the envelope circumspectly and put it on my study table as usual. Why do I think I'm a totally different person when it comes to this letter guy? I took a deep breath. Okay, Elene, long and tiring week. I boast myself and headed downstairs.

“Yeah mom, I got everything. Don’t worry.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, mom.”

“Did you keep those pills with you?”

“Yeah, mom.”

“Boots?”

“Yep.”

“Sure?”

“Mom, chill.”

She chuckled and kissed my forehead gently. I hugged her tightly. “I’ll be okay.” I whispered.

“Of course, you will be. Conan will take care of you.” she said, peering at Conan who was bringing down our bags.

“Like I have nothing else to do?” he spoke up, slightly irritated.

Mom and I laughed in unison.

“So you and Melanie are sharing a tent. What about you Conan, they won’t let you share one with Debbie, you know that?” Molly teased, fist bumping Chet.

“I know that. James and I will be sharing one.” He said flatly or irritatingly I think.

The bag left my hand and landed to the floor.

“Wait..what?”

“Uh, yeah. We really bonded at the party.”

"But what about Holder?" I hesitated before asking. Why isn't he sharing someone from his batch?

"He's sharing one with Ryan." He replied, not interested in the conversation.

"But still. I mean, why James?" I asked curiously.

"He was the only person left, Elene, so coach put me up with him."

Yeah, so maybe I didn’t mention this before, but this is probably the last thing I wish for. First mom and dad like him, Melanie already can’t stop bragging about him, Molly loves him, Chet agrees on everything Molly says (something twinning is mostly known for you know), Courtney is already crazy after him, and now my last little ray of hope Conan is also going to bond with him and then he’s gonna like him too and take his side.

Or maybe I just have to be a little less dramatic..

~~~

Avoiding all the lectures Mr. Lee Mars and Mrs. Consuela Black were giving was so easy, they kept on explaining us about the events that are supposed to be held at the camp and like every year Courtney was busy pointing out cute boys and telling us about them. Amanda would just nod, the sincere girlfriend she was, I would pay absolutely no cogitation and Melanie would go on with her.

But today Melanie would just nod and try to listen to the teachers who were now telling us to behave properly throughout the camp. Wow. Melanie and not teaming up with Courtney to discuss about boys?

According to me, she was pretty much over Bryn by now.

No matter how messed up she looked after each break up, it barely took a shower for her to get over a guy. Yeah, that’s her.

And this wasn’t the Melanie I knew.
Okay, maybe I’m over thinking a bit too much. Like always.

“And he’s 6’2.” Courtney giggled, whispering a little loudly in Melanie’s ear.

“I don’t care if he’s 6’2 or 6’4. Cut the crap. Stop it Courtney.” Melanie said annoyingly and stomped her bag down, pushing her slightly.

Courtney stepped back with her mouth agape, followed by shocked faces of every single person who heard her except for the front row students and the teachers. Thank God.

Melanie let out a deep sigh and picked up her bag, moving to her tent. Nobody even noticed her leave due to the crowd but I saw her storming into the tent.

“I thought you didn’t come.” Said a very familiar voice and completely caught me off guard.

“Uh, hi.” I forced a smile suddenly realizing it was James.

“Sorry to scare you, for the hundredth time.” He grinned.

“No, its okay. I actually didn’t perceive you.”

“Not much of a surprise.” He grinned. Okay, what was with all the grinning? Literally, half of our conversations start and end with his ‘grin’.

“What?”

“Well, I was standing beside you since Mr. Lee started to welcome us to this camp.” James said making it clear how unobservant I was all the time.

“Oh.”

I am such an idiot. Why didn’t I notice him then?

“So, uhm. You like this place?” I said spreading my hands in the air. Yeah, someone just give me an award for avoiding confrontations and changing subjects.

“Yeah, love it. I’m really looking forward to lots of events.” Okay, either he knows me so well that he just plays along or he’s dumb. The former felt right.

The thought of Melanie struck my mind all of a sudden, she needs me.

“I’ll see you later. I have a lot to unpack.” I alleged.

“Yeah, of course.” He said and turned to Conan who was standing behind him.

Either I was too blind to notice people who are standing right beside me now or they really just appear out of nowhere. Especially when it comes to James.

~~~

“Shut up.”

“But just look at him.”

“No.”

“Please.”

“No, Courtney.”

“Fine.”  Courtney said abruptly as she stuffed the sandwich in her mouth.
Amanda was so good at handling her, maybe that’s what made them best friends. They literally balanced each other. Just like me and Melanie.

Speaking of, she was still nowhere to be found. And I too, considered giving her the space she wanted at the moment.

I still don’t know what’s wrong with her, considering she doesn’t keep much from me. I wanted to be there for her, but then again only after she was in the place to tell me herself.

We were sitting at the food court where Courtney was busy checking out guys (as usual) and Amanda was busy with Paul. I kept my focus on my plate and James sat beside me with some guy Damian who by the way was also on Courtney’s list.

“Elene, you would check him out won’t you?” Courtney said as she caught me out of my reverie.

I smiled. “Why do you badly want someone else to check him out when you want to go out with him only?”

She rolled her eyes. “Because well duh. I need someone else’s advice whether he really is good or not.”

“Why do you want someone else’s opinion in who you date? If you find someone worthy of being your boy friend then you should go for it. If it feels right, it is right.” I explain her.

And suddenly James was looking at me with an amused expression. "I really agree to this." He said.

“But still-”

I face palmed myself.

"What?”

“You’re right.” She said, after a moment of thinking.

Wow. At least someone listens to me.

“Where’s Melanie?” Amanda said, suddenly breaking conversation with Paul like she remembered something important.

Okay, what was I supposed to say? “Uh…”

Amanda raised her eyebrow urging me to complete my sentence.

“She’s not in a mood to be between us, she just needs some space. Let her be alone for some time.” I decided to tell them the truth; after all they knew everything about her like me. It was only me in the clique who kept most of the stuff to Melanie.

I just didn’t want to explain to others. I had no problem if they knew about my stuff too, because I trusted Amanda and Courtney as much as they trusted me.

“Well, of course.” Amanda commented as she returned back to her conversation with Paul.

I raised my eyebrow at Courtney who understood quickly that I didn’t understand what Amanda said.

She cleared her throat. “Look, it’s totally understandable that she isn’t in a position to face you right now.”

“What? Why?” I asked in pure curiosity.

I didn’t notice when I had caught James’ and Damian’s attention but they were paying heed to Courtney too, as they finished their snacks. So were Amanda and Paul.

“Don’t tell me that you don’t know.” She commented.

“What..?!”

Amanda suddenly gripped Courtney whispering something but Courtney didn’t seem to agree with her.

“Guys, what’s going on?” I said, a little loud. If they knew what had happened to Melanie and they were planning to keep it to themselves then this is the end of their worlds, I swear.

Courtney wasn’t answering my question and it was freaking the hell out of me. Obviously because of the melodramatic person I was but holy crap what was there to hide? She’s my best friend for God’s sake.

“ARE YOU GUYS GOING TO TELL ME OR WHAT?!” Yeah, my time to freak out.

James was almost amused at my reaction as he smiled yet got scared at the same time. I looked at him but my attention was quickly dragged by Courtney.

“How come you don’t know about Melanie and Conan’s kiss last night?” she asked, clearly shocked.

What the hell.

What. The. Hell.

WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL?!

“What?!” James asked suddenly standing but calmed himself as soon as he realized that people were staring.

“Yeah, you don’t know too? Wow, you both come from the same world.” She chuckled. This wasn’t funny. How could she find this funny?

I didn’t know what to think.

“I don’t, seriously. I mean when this did even happen?” he asked. He was clearly shocked too, but the way he was acting calm was evidently commendable.

I just didn’t know how to react. Conan and Melanie?

“At the countdown. At the party last night. Where were you?” Amanda asked me.

“We were at the balcony.” James answered for me.

I didn’t know when I stood from the table and the next thing I knew I was running to my room, not wanting to talk to anybody. We had the whole night, and today. But neither did Conan mention this, nor did Melanie.

Wow, they want to keep this as a secret? Fine, we’ll see how long this secret goes.

“Elene, slow down.” I heard James’ voice from behind me, but I was too frustrated to look back or stop.

Suddenly a hand gripped my wrist and pushed me back. I turned back suddenly losing my balance and James’ arm caught my waist before I could fall. I pushed my eyes shut in fear of falling but he had caught me.

“You can open your eyes, I’ll never let you fall.” I could sense him grinning, because that’s what he did best anyway.

I opened my eyes slowly and I caught his gaze. Those eyes can melt me down any time of the day. Ugh. Was I really saying this?

Well, it was true.

He smiled as I looked away outgripping myself from his hold.

“Yeah, whatever.” I said rolling my eyes.

Okay, maybe you’re mad at Melanie and Conan but you have no right to show James attitude.

Who was that? Oh of course, my greedy conscience was back.

“Uhm, I’m sorry.” I say quickly.

“I know you’re mad at them. I totally get that.” He alleged.

“Conan is in a relationship for God’s sake. Debbie is the queen bee. You don’t know her. She’s gonna find out soon and she’s gonna scream at Conan, and this time I don’t even blame her.” I sighed.

“Well, it is Conan’s fault after all. He should have thought about Debbie before kissing Melanie.”

“Oh really? And Melanie? Where her mind did run to, huh? When it comes to me, she comes up with all those lectures compelling me to believe them and now didn’t she even once think what this would affect to Conan’s relationship? What is wrong with the both of them?”

“Just, just calm down for once. We don’t even know what exactly happened that night. They only thing Courtney told you are that they kissed. Don’t jump to conclusions; you don’t even know the complete story.”

“I don’t even wanna know. They kissed. It says it all James.”

“No, it doesn’t. Trust me there will be an explanation for all of this.”

“It’s not necessary James.”

“There is always some explanation Elene.”

Ugh. I hate it. Why was I even bothered that much? The fact that my best friend and brother bonded?

Actually, a bit too much. But not on clear grounds to be exact.

I shivered as the cold breeze touched my bare arms, and I suddenly covered my hands for warmth, though they didn’t seem to stop me from quivering. I remember putting on a cardigan before coming..

“I don’t have my jacket this time, sorry.” James mocked as I rolled my eyes at his reply.

“I didn’t even ask for it in the first place.” I argued in defense.

He grinned as usual, getting amused by my misery.

“I just can’t believe what happened. How did they even end up kissing?” James wondered.

“This kiss is going to complicate things, for sure.”

“Maybe it was just a kiss. Lots of people kiss random people at New Year, when the ball drops.” He said, being the optimist.

But hell I was the pessimist after all, “But they are not just random for each other!”

“Hey, hey, hey.” He said suddenly, pacifying me. He gripped my shoulders gently and faced me towards him.

“Calm down a bit.” He said, “I repeat we don’t know anything except for the fact that they kissed.”

“But I know the story!”

“How do you know the story?!”

“Because this has happened with me James!” I blurted out.

I bit my tongue and regretted the moment it came out of my mouth. He’s gonna ask questions. He’s gonna ask questions. Shit. Shit. Shit.

I looked at him and could see his stunned expression. 

Hey babe.” His voice made me smile all of a sudden. His hands snaked around my waist as he rested his chin on my shoulder and planted a kiss on the back of my ear, which made me uncomfortable.

“Hi.” I forced a smile. I sure liked him in an obvious kind of way, but his touch never felt 'special' like Courtney used to explain.

“I like purple on you.” He said his voice so close to my ear.

“Melanie says it makes me look fat.”

“Stop listening to Melanie.” He smirked. No wonder Melanie hates Adrian.

“But she’s right. It does make me look fat.” I admitted.

“Yeah, she has a big influence on you after all.”

“I’m not saying it because of her.”

“Yeah, like I believe that.”

“Adrian.”

“What.” he said it flatly.

“Okay, purple rules all.” I said, smiling.

“That’s like my girl.” He kissed me softly.

“Earth to Elene.” James said, breaking me out of my reverie.

“Yeah?”

“Did you even hear a single word I alleged?”

“Uhm, I’m sorry?” I said sheepishly.
He chuckled, putting his hands in his pocket. Is it weird thatt I find him so cute even now?

James opened his mouth to say something but preferred to stay quiet. I raised an eyebrow at his sudden gesture but his eyes were focused on something behind me which forced me to look back.

“Melanie!” I shouted as I saw her.

She just looked at me and went inside the room. Wow. She passed my level of avoiding confrontations.

“Why did you felt you had to hide the fact that you and Conan kissed last night?” I said following her into the room.

“I-I-I don’t know.”

“Stop messing around Melanie, look at me.”

She turned to face me and I could see she had been crying.

“I haven’t accepted that fact yet.” She admitted.

“Okay, I have to fix Conan’s shitty little brain after this but you tell me first that you know he’s in a serious relationship right?”

“Yeah, with a brat who he doesn’t love anyway.”

“And who told you that?”

“He, himself.”

“Really..?”

“That’s not the point. The point is, I’m sorry whatever happened that night.”

“Are you really? You don’t seem okay.”

I didn’t realize when I pulled a string but she just exploded.

“Of course I’m not okay dammit. I wanted to kiss someone I love at New Year’s but I came across Conan. And even after that kiss, I felt that it was special. So very special, like it was supposed to happen. He was just so drunk after Debbie left before even kissing her and they had some huge fight which had upset him. I was just trying to console him and I didn’t even realize how we both ended up kissing. He was embarrassed. I was embarrassed.”

“But you could’ve controlled yourself Melanie! At least you weren’t drunk!”

“Chill out Elene! It was just a kiss; I’m not even doing anything.”

“But you don’t know Conan, he will! And didnt you just say that it felt special?”

“I don’t care if he will; it’s not my fault that it felt special!”

“Of course it would’ve been special, you guys inadvertently flirted like literally all the time!”

“What are you talking about?!”

“I just don’t want you involved in his and Debbie’s relationship, that’s it.”

“I am not involving in their relationship, for God’s sake Elene!”

“Then what is it with you and Conan’s unintentional closeness, huh? Of course Debbie would have problems with that.”

“How do you know she has problems with us?”

“Oh, wow. Really, you were supposed to tell me. But look, I know!”

“I don’t wanna talk about it right now; just-just leave me alone.”

“Fine. Just stop messing around with Conan.”

“Holy shit I am not messing around with him!”

“Then what are you even doing?”

“It’s not my fault that it really feels special to me!”

“You say that whenever you meet a guy, Mel.”

“What’s your point?” she asked, irritatingly.

“Stay away from Con. I don’t want him to be just another guy on your list who you fuck.” I blurted out.

Shit.

Shit.

Shit.

Shit.

“You- you bitch.” She said, her voice trembling.

“Liste-”

“Just back off” she shouted and left the room.

Uhm, I hope you like this chapter! 😂 Don't forget to vote, comment and recommend! :')

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

272 3 16
"Your eyes telling me, you want me" he grabbed me. caressed my cheeks. "What are you talking about?" shivering under his touch. "Shh" he leaned in an...
244 70 71
Leah is a very attractive girl who's been getting letters from a random person. She doesn't pay attention to any of those letters because she already...
1.5K 308 28
Pessimistic Stephanie Thorne and her family just moved to a new town, and she's counting on a fresh start. Struggling to get settled, things began t...
6 0 30
Rylie sessle starts her senior year in high school in a small town called Brained Minnesota, from an outsider her life looks pretty perfect, she's go...