Surviving NYC

By My_Little_Secret_

Elle Willow is back in NYC after a bizarre accident that burned her boarding school down. Now she’s back and... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Put your Flirt mode on
Chapter 2 - Happy family reunions, not so much
Chapter 3 - Talk about awkwardness
Chapter 4 - Watch where you're going
Chapter 5 - Fate loves me too much
Chapter 6 - Make hay while the sun shines
Chapter 7 - I'd be damned in hell, if this is reality
Chapter 8 - It was all my fault and I knew it
Chapter 9 - Looks can be deceiving
Chapter 11 - They are even more immature than the baby growing in Lily's uterus
12 - Elle: 1, Wesley: 0

Chapter 10 - A very confusing day

497 31 22
By My_Little_Secret_

Pretty banner on the side made by @berceuses :)

Chapter 10 - A very confusing day

My first day at work was disappointing. I got fooled and pranked by an eight year old. That was super humiliating, on top of that I got embarrassed in front of my cousin's boyfriend, the flirty hot guy and an attractive jerk. I think you know who is who by now.

I was still dripping wet and cold.'The  Triplets' left after Maureen scolded them, I was even more surprised they obliged and left. But I could still hear their snickers though.

Maureen looked so apologetic. She really apologized a lot. She had salt pepper hair with almond shaped brown eyes and a petite figure. Sure, she had wrinkles around her eyes but she had a warm feeling to herself, she actually reminded me of my nanny.

I had a nanny named Laura, she had been working in my family for twenty nine years now. My parents made sure to give all their kids their time but when they couldn't do that 24/7, Laura was in charge. She was a kind woman who loved all my brothers and me a little too much.

Laura was such a hard worker, despite her age, she worked like a machine. I swear, that woman was the best. Plus she always took my side and saved me from my brother's tyranny. Sadly, Laura was in Chicago currently visiting her sister so, she would arrive back in a few days. I definitely missed her and her delicious food.

"Elle, Take these" Maureen's voice snapped me back to reality. I took the clothes which she handed me. "These are Natalie's clothes" she mused "They might be a little loose for you" she winced at her words.

"Oh, that's alright" I told her with a small smile.

I examined the clothes given to me, there was light green cashmere sweater and a blue jeans. They were simple but judging from the material they were designer clothes. Well, Natalie was a renowned doctor and her ex-husband was a millionaire. I don't think money was a problem for the Knights.

"You can go and change, fourth door from the left" I nodded and hurried, the wet clothes were making me feel chilly.

I walked fast, the air around me was cold due to fall. It was one of my favourite seasons but right now it was definitely not helping me. I reached the door, it was slightly ajar. I opened it slowly, the air hit me like a tons of bricks. I shivered involuntarily.

My eyes widened at the sight in front of me. It was boy standing with his back against me, removing his T shirt. I had no idea who it was but boy was he yummy!

The triplets were of same built and it was difficult to judge from behind.

I could see his bare skin, all rippled and strong. Judging from his back he had mouth watering abs. I knew it was wrong to stare at someone like this but I couldn't help myself. Especially if it was Wyatt, that would be embarrassing. He was my cousin's boyfriend and here I was checking him out.

But dear lord, this guy had a beautiful body. I could see few lines on his back, making my suspicion true. This person had a tattoo and it looked hot.

Please don't be Wyatt. Please God!

"Are you done checking me out?" A very annoyingly familiar voice woke me from my thoughts.

In fact the voice caught me so off guard that I stumbled in bewilderment, my heart raced. I looked at my feet, not wanting to be further mortified. My cheeks were burning, being caught looking especially at him.

"I- um came- uh to the wrong room" I stuttered and then mentally slapped myself for stuttering.

Wesley looked at me with an impassive expression. I really expected him to react  or make some crude comment but he was just standing there with a bored blank expression on his face.

He walked towards me, suddenly standing very close to me. He was invading my personal space. I tried to go back but he caught my arm, steadying me. We were standing so close that I could feel his breath fanning my face.

My heart was beating faster, aware of the amount of space and his lack of clothes. I was baffled and astonished by his behaviour and actions. His sea blue eyes peered into mine. I was mesmerized by his godly eyes, they were absolutely gorgeous.

"You need to watch where you're going" He sneered at me.

My jaw almost dropped when he said that. This was the first thing he told me when he pushed me on that street, making me drop my coffee from Starbucks.

I seriously wanted to scream at him but it wouldn't make a difference.

He then let go of my arm and walked towards his huge bed. I was still frozen. Usually I could tell a lot about people by meeting them. Of course I was no Sherlock but I still picked up a thing or two.

But Wesley was a person I could tell nothing about except describing his shit personality with many profanities and curses. There was something really different about him.

I walked out of the room, without giving him a second glance. When I heard him say "Meet me on Sunday at 4, near the central park for our project. And be on time"

Who the hell did he think he was, giving me orders?

I flipped him the finger and slammed his door shut. I knew I shouldn't have flipped him the finger, considering he was the son of my employer and I could get fired for it. But I did not care, I could find a new job.

I grew up with five alpha male brothers, who controlled a lot of aspects in my life. I was sick and tired of it, in Mayfield I came in touch with my inner feminist and realised I was liked being independent. I vowed myself to never take an order from a man again. Some people thought it was absurd but like I said their opinion meant nothing to me.

No way in hell was I going to meet that attractive bipolar jerk on Sunday!

 ******************************************************************************************

After changing my clothes, I quickly left the Knight penthouse. I was so glad I didn't bump into anyone. I had no patience to deal with anyone right now. I quickly pulled on my ray Burberry corduroy coat on and headed out of the building.

The New York hustle bustle made me feel relaxed, frequently people whined and complained about the New York population and fast life. But I for one enjoyed it.

The office workers walking back home after a long day at work, the college students goofing around on the street, the clueless tourists wandering around the city, rich people shopping in some branded boutique or moving in their expensive vehicles with their chauffeurs on tail, many drug dealers and addict having a rave party in some alley, the cops nabbing some thieves and criminals, carrying on their investigation. That's the thing I loved about this city, it showed all the class of people. Sure, it was hard making it in NYC with the increasing economy. But the diversity of people here was admirable!

After such a long tiring day, I was really craving some red velvet cupcakes. And the best place to go right now was Magnolia Bakery. They had the greatest cupcakes in the world!

After flagging down a cab, I got into it and instructed the driver to take me to 11t street of the west green village, where Magnolia bakery was situated. I was scrolling through my phone going through my mail, when I got a text from my mom.

Family dinner tonight. Be on time dear xoxo

- Mom

I don't know what was weird, the family dinner or my mother texting me 'xoxo'. Both of it was quite disturbing I suppose. I didn't even bother replying to her. Why should I? Did she bother replying to me in my freshman year? 

"Ma'am, we've reached." the cab driver said in a strong Italian accent. I nodded and paid him. I hopped out of the yellow cab, excited about eating cupcakes.

As I reached the bakery, I saw a little boy licking frosting of a pink cupcake, smearing it all over his face. I smiled at him, he looked so cute.

But what got my attention was a wailing sound coming from one of the tables, a woman was eating a pastry and wailing, her mascara was spread along with chocolate, it looked bad. She looked heavily pregnant. I knew exactly who that was.You'd think people were looking at her with alarm but no, in this city this was very common.

Being the good person I am, I walked towards her and put my hand on her shoulder. I had no idea as to why she was crying. Lily turned her head and shrugged my hand off her shoulder. I looked at her in bewilderment. I walked in front of her and took a seat beside her. She looked up, peering through her tears. Her cheeks began to redden. I think she was embarrassed. Couldn't blame her, if I were in her place, I would be embarrased too.

"Lily, what's wrong?" I asked her cautiously, not wanting to make her more upset. She looked at me and began sobbing again. I was really bad at this. I enveloped her in my arms, trying to comfort her.

"Let it out, it's okay" I stroked her strawberry blonde hair, while she was crying softly. I did not ask her anything because sometimes silence was the only thing necessary.

After a while, she stopped crying, she tried to rub the mascara off her face. I pulled out some tissues from my bag pack and handed them to her. Then I asked the waiter for some bottled water. Lily completed cleaning her face and hands, she still had some tear streaks but she looked better.

 "You must be confused" Lily murmured softly. I was more curious than confused.

 "You can tell me if you want but I don't need answers" I told her truthfully.

"It's a stupid reason and the hormones are making me way too overemotional" she replied. I knew she was lying but I did not push it further. I did not seek answers if she was so upset over it.

"I am exhausted. Let's just go home" she said and I nodded, paying the bill.

I flagged down a cab and helped Lily settle in, then I got in. She fell asleep as soon as we left, all this crying must've made her tired. I plugged in my earphones and got lost in the music of Coldplay.

We reached my parent's townhouse after a few minutes. I shook Lily, waking her up. It was really hard waking her up, she was sleeping like a baby. She woke up and rubbed her eyes. I grabbed her bag and helped her out of the car. I had my arm around her shoulder, I was worried about her.

This was so unlike her, she was always so happy and bubbly. I rung the door bell and my mom opened the door. She looked relieved when she saw us. We walked into the foyer. Mom was about to ask me about my whereabouts when Oliver rushed towards Lily and pulled her in a tight hug, he looked distressed. He then kissed her cheek and took her inside the house.

I grabbed my bag pack and went into the living room, my mother was behind me. My father was seated on the couch, with Evan and Ethan beside him. They all were whispering to each other.While Ryder was busy texting on his iPhone.

Lucas was in L.A for promoting his new album and Emilia was working. So they both weren't coming. Considering Lily's huge meltdown, neither Oliver or Lily would be coming, I suppose So it was just my parents and  other brothers.

"Honey, what happened to Lily?" my father asked me grimly. I did not know what to tell but I think they all saw the state in which she came home. So only truth would work now.

"Well, I went to Magnolia bakery as I wanted some cupcakes and I found Lily there sobbing and eating chocolate cake. So I went to sit beside her. She told me she was crying because of her hormones." I told my family, playing with my fingers. I saw my parents exchange a look. It was so non-subtle. My brothers were also looking at them. Something was up and they weren't telling me.

"It must be the hormones, two weeks ago, she asked me if I looked fat, I told her that she had put on some weight. She burst out crying. It was bizarre!" Ryder exclaimed. I rolled my eyes, he was trying to change the subject.

This was what always happened when something like this was bought up. During my freshman year when I came back home asked questions, this was how it was dealt with. I was given no answers, there something really fishy going with my family.

"You never tell a woman that she is fat." My dad slapped him on the head, causing Evan and Ethan to snigger.

"Yeah, you don't. Where are your manners Ryd?" My mom asked him, disapprovingly. I really wanted to ask my parents what all this was about. But I knew I would not be getting a real answer anytime soon.

"But she was...." I got cut off as the door bell rang. I sighed loudly. The damned door bell had to ring right now. I would find out answers this time, it was for sure.

Apparently Nana and Andy were also invited to family dinner. I had forgotten they were still in the city. To spend more time with the family, they had devised a plan. They would stay two weeks a month in the city and the other two weeks in Mayfield. Since Mayfield was only 3 hours away, it was pretty convenient.

The atmosphere of the house changed when they arrived, all thoughts about Lily and other things were forgotten. The dinner was quite decent. It became awkward when my parents began reminiscing about our childhoods. I was very quite during the dinner.

I had a lot on my mind. There were questions unanswered and many other doubts. Why would my family hide things from me? Why wouldn't they tell me? What was up with Oliver's and Lily's disappearance? Why was Lily sobbing so much today? I know it wasn't just  due to hormones, there was more to it then she let on. Her eyes showed so much emotions. My mind was whirling with questions.

I was going to ask Lily soon about what happened today. I am done not knowing things. It's high time!

*****************************************************************************************

"Elle, can I have a word with you?" Evan asked me, I nodded and we went in the kitchen. They were about to leave. Ryder had already left, claiming to go to some party. My grandmothers were still chatting with my parents.

"Has Naomi talked to you?" He looked agitated. I think he was talking about Naomi's response. But I did not want to come in between their problems.

"Not really" I lied, biting my lip. He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Don't play dumb with me Elle!" He hissed at me. I raised an 'brow at him.

"Fine she has" I replied curtly, rolling my eyes.

"What did I do? I am so confused!" He said, raking his hair in frustration. I felt bad for him, guys sometimes had no clue about girls. They were very bad at it.

"I don't want to get in between you but what you need to do his have a genuine talk with her. Sort things out" I told him bluntly.

"I would never ask you to do that and thanks" He kissed my cheek and left the kitchen. I smiled a little. There was too much fun in playing cupid sometimes.

After everyone left, I trudged back to my room. It was an exhausting day, I would kill to sleep right now but I still had some homework to do. I changed into my comfortable pyjamas and a baggy tee. I opened my laptop, pulling my hair into a messy bun.

I was halfway done with my work, when my phone rang. The song Troublemaker blaring through my iPhone. Luckily, it was just the person I wanted to talk right now.

"Hello" I said, yawning.

"I love the enthusiastic welcome, Willow" Christian said sarcastically but I knew he was smiling.

"I am tired." I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Oh tell me all about it" He replied without a hesitation. I grinned. That was the thing about Christian I loved. He knew exactly what to speak. And so I began my tale about a very confusing day.

After telling him almost everything, I completed my remaining homework. Then I lay on my bed thinking about my day.

My mind was filled with thoughts, questions and worries. I couldn't decipher much right now but I intended on doing it soon. I was going to find answers at any cost now.

All I needed was sufficient sleep.

I tossed and turned on my bed that night, wanting to get some sleep.

Instead I was terrorized about the unfortunate incident that I so wanted to forget about.

A/N: Hey everyone! Long time no see. Ok so that's my fault! I am so sorry for not updating this book. 

I know it's very late but Happy New Year! I hope 2014 is awesome for everyone! 

Did you like this chapter? What are your thoughts? Love it Hate it? Tell me everything. Your feedback means a lot to me. 

Also I am now a fully fledged Wattpad Ambassador! Everyone is so nice! I am loving it :D

The next update might be soon! Also I am working on a new project. You all might like it ;) 

This chapter has not been proofread. There will be mistakes!

P.S: What are your current obsessions? Mine are The Fault in our Stars, Divergent series, Sherlock season 3 and Reign!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 2.8K 41
Do you ever wonder what life would be like if it were a movie? Or some sappy romance novel that you wish your life could be like but it's not? Someti...
6.8K 93 14
book delays are likely and i do apologise!! Disclaimer: Please read all Trigger Warnings before beginning the book - I would appreciate it if haters...
3K 59 6
*Mature* When 27-year-old Willow McKinney is attacked in the parking lot of the elementary school she teaches at, her whole world comes crashing down...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

239K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...