The Healing (Book Two)

By Painting-with-light

This is the second book to The Unforgivable. Alexander Kingston wakes up after his accident that left him wi... More

Two - Letting Love Go
Three - Employee to Lover to Boss
Four - Tug of War
Five - Falling Into You
Six - Remission
Seven - Warmth
Eight - True Self
Nine - Birthday
Ten - Breaks
Eleven - Flashbacks
Twelve - Amor
Thirteen - Remembering
Fourteen - Superhero
Fifteen - Pain
Sixteen - Fear
Seventeen - Equals
Eighteen - Life and Death
Nineteen - Preparation
Twenty - Gone
Twenty-one - Goodbye
Twenty-two - Fragility
Twenty-three - Best Man
Epilogue
Author's Note

One - Reborn

21.8K 500 14
By Painting-with-light

Mia's POV

"Who is she?" the nurse asked him.

"I don't know" Alexander said looking lost and confused.

He did not know who I was and although I tried to use reason and understand that it was his accident that left him like this, I could not help but feel pain at the fact that he no longer knew me, what we went through and the love that we have for each other.

The nurse said, "hold on Mr. Kingston, we'll have the doctor come in a minute."

"Who are you?" he said to me once we were alone.

"Mia" I said softly while looking at his beautiful eyes. "We..I used to work for you, in your business."

"Mine? That belongs to my father."

"No, now it belongs to you, you're 25." I wanted to explain to him everything that has happened but at the same time did not want to give him too many bad news in case he might not be able to take it since he is just recovering.

The doctor walked in and examined him while I waited outside. After what seemed like an eternity, Annabel and her mother Isabella walked into the hospital. When they saw me their eyes widened.

Annabel said, "Mia! You came back!" and ran up to hug me.

"It wasn't really like that, I was just volunteering here and happened to see him when he woke up..."

"Oh, so you're not back together with him?"

"No..."

Her mother asked, "How is he?"

"He is awake and seems to be stable but...I would wait until the doctor comes out to verify this but he just might have some memory problems because he doesn't know who I am and thinks he is 22."

Her face fell and the worry was noticeable in her furrowed brow.

The doctor walked out and told us that he did in fact have some amnesia and he might not be able to remember those years anymore or that he might recall them with time and recovery. He wanted to do some more tests on him but said if he continued to recover in the way that he had he would be able to leave the hospital soon.

His mother wanted to see him so she went in after the doctor and Annabel stayed outside so that she did not overwhelm him.

She asked, "Mia, how have you been? You look different"

I smiled softly at her, "It has been tough but I have healed some and I am working on myself now."

"I am glad to hear that honestly. I wished my brother had the same healing that you did but I think he went downhill instead. I tried to contact you multiple times, when he was doing...when he was going down a very wrong path but I was not able to reach you."

"I know, I just needed to be on my own because I would not be able to get better if I was close to him."

"So the divorce is final?"

I looked at her sadly, "It is in the process of being done.. a few more days, maybe a week."

She nodded as if she understood and I hugged her again because I had really missed her.

She said, "he will need to know about it, the divorce, I would just tell him that you have already divorced so that it is easier for him to cope with."

I nodded and Annabel said she was going to go in to see her brother now.

I wanted to see him again but I knew it was wrong. I had been selfish, trying to be with Ethan because he was kind and made me happy, while on the other hand I had not finalized the divorce because I could not bear to know that Alex and I would be done forever. I picked up my phone and called my lawyer to tell him I wanted the divorce processed and finished as soon as possible. He said it would be completed within a day or two and while I thought that would give me closure, I felt nothing but heartache.

Alex's mom walked out with a few tears in her eyes followed by Annabel.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

"We just had to explain to Alex that his father is dead and he isn't taking it well, it is like the first time all over again."

I wanted to go in to comfort him and be with him but I knew that would do no good since he did not even know who I was.

Alex's POV

I sobbed loudly feeling my world coming apart at the seams and what made me even more upset was the fact that I was stuck to this hospital bed. I wanted to go out, go to my father's grave, see for myself what my mother and sister had just told me. I trusted them and believed them but I just could not take the pain of knowing my father was no longer with me. How could this be? I saw him just yesterday. But they say I've been here for a month. This is all so confusing I just don't understand anything.

When my mother and sister walked out I managed to see the girl, Mia, she looked like she had been talking on the phone. For some strange reason she looked familiar but I just did not know her. It was something about her eyes, when she looked at me my heart started beating a little faster which confused me since there was no reason for it too. I mean she was beautiful but I have seen many beautiful women in my life before.

I laid down feeling defeated at the fact that I no longer had my best friend with me. How could I have lived like these for three years as they claim that I have?

Mia's POV

It had been two days since I saw Alexander, I was keeping in touch with Annabel and she kept me updated on his health but up to now there seem to be no change in his memory. I was painting mindlessly when I heard my phone rang and I picked up. It was my divorce lawyer, he was glad to give me the news that my divorce was finalized. I was no longer married to Alexander Kingston.

A single tear rode down my cheek and fell onto the brush I had been using to paint. It pained me and I knew the love I had for him would never disappear but I just had to move on. We had too many problems between us to be able to move on and be happy. He did not even remember me anymore, maybe it was a good thing that way he would not go through the pain of knowing that it is over between us.

I heard a knock on the door and went ahead to open it. Ethan was waiting there with a huge smile on his face as he said, "hey baby girl, how are you?"

I tried to smile as best as I could and said, "I am okay, come in."

"Am I interrupting one of your painting sessions?" He asked as he sat down on my sofa.

"No it's okay, I am glad you're here because we need to talk."

"Of course, I'm listening" he said as he turned to me to give me his full attention.

"I got a call from my divorce lawyer today, I am no longer married."

He smiled happily at me and gave me a tight hug, I could see where his enthusiasm was coming from but I was not feeling it.

When he saw my face his smile fell a little bit and he said, "I'm sorry, I know this has been hard for you, but at least now you can move on completely and we can work on our relationship."

I nodded and said, "I don't know if I can move on completely Ethan, we have talked about this, what I had with him, it was very strong and it just doesn't disappear you know that."

"I know Mia but at least now you have no reason to keep thinking about him, you are a free woman now and you don't have to feel guilty about dating me anymore."

As I was about to nod, my phone started ringing and I saw that it was Annabel, I did not want to pick up the phone in front of Ethan but I also did not want to hide this from him so I picked up.

"Hey Mia" Annabel said.

Ethan looked confused as to who was calling but I signaled him with my hand to hold on for a moment.

"Hey Annabel"

"My mother wanted to explain to Alex what the last three years have been like so he can understand things better but I thought you might want to tell him yourself about what you guys had and about the divorce, I just wanted to check on what you wanted..."

I wanted to see him one more time, it was like his beautiful green eyes were addicting. I knew that now he was no longer my husband but I just needed to hear his voice agains so I said, "I will be there in an hour."

When I hung up Ethan asked, "everything alright?"

I looked at him and bit my lip nervously, "there is something else that we have to talk about..."

"Okay, what is it?"

"My husband, well ex husband, he was in a horrible accident and has lost his memory. I need to go to the hospital to see if I can help him remember."

"You've been seeing him?" he said incredulously.

"No, I just saw him the other day when I went to volunteer to the new hospital... he was there and it was a coincidence that we met."

I could tell he was upset because his usual smile was not plastered on his face.

"So you're going to keep seeing him?"

"No, well I don't know, maybe just until he heals."

"That's a yes then, this is ridiculous Mia. You divorced him, you don't need to be around him any longer."

"He needs me Ethan, he doesn't know what his life has been like, he has lost the last three years of his life, I need to help him."

I could tell he did not want me to continue seeing him but he seemed to understand when he said "okay, I trust you" as he hugged me.

When I got to the hospital, Annabel came to me to explain what he knew so far and what he didn't. They had basically told him everything up to before he met me. They left out the part about his father leaving with someone else though which I disagreed upon.

"That is like lying to him Annabel, you should tell him the whole story."

"No Mia, please don't tell him about your twin, if he knows about her he might become obsessive again and try to find her, that cannot be good for his health, it is better for him not to know about her, my father's death was an accident after all so she does not need to be brought up."

"How am I supposed to explain to him why we broke up then? I would have to lie to him."

"No you can just tell him you were having a lot of problems and arguments and when you lost...when you lost the baby it was too much and that was why you had the divorce. Look, my mother and I already discussed this and we think it is for the best, we can't have him spiral down like that before, he has been through a lot, please just listen to us on this one."

I did not want to lie to him especially because he was so vulnerable. I would be lying by omission and I hated it but if they really thought this was the best for him then I would. I did not want him to go through what he had before and obsess over finding my sister.

I braced myself and took a deep breath before I opened the door to his hospital room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

446K 11.2K 81
Lillian Black was just a child when she lost her innocence. She was just a child when she realized the world is a cruel place. She was just a teenag...
1.1M 32.4K 60
Highest ranking: #1 in Short Story *Rewriting and Editing on hold* It was a race to leave behind her toxic past, the past that demolished her image...
330K 11.7K 30
"How do you fall in love with someone when everyone in the world is against you being together?" "People always tend to want the things they shouldn'...
92.3K 3.3K 21
Amelia's life is a series of beatings and abuse from her older brother Connar. She's got her whole life in front of her.... That is, if she can survi...