People of the New World (Nial...

By TheWizardofIz

Niall Horan in Downton Abbey! (After season 4, begins before Xmas special, season 4 spoilers!) Things at Down... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine

Chapter Two

1.2K 23 3
By TheWizardofIz

A/N) Thanks so much for the reads and your patience. I'm so sorry I took so long to write the next chapter. I had writers block but anyway here it is. Genevieve's political opinions aren't my own btw I just researched a bit about politics. Mr Horan will be joining us in Chapter Four, get pumped! Enjoy! 

________________________________________________________

Carson’s POV

The day was a bright one for Downton. The sun shone across the estate, lighting the gates and track down which two auto mobiles bumped down. One containing Miss Crabbesbrook’s luggage and the other, Mr Branson, Miss MacClare and Miss Crabbesbrook.

Carson always had nerves when guests arrived, since the arrival of multiple guests in the house over the years had resulted in queer and unwanted dismissal of staff, fraud, death or anger taking over the real enjoyment of fresh faces in the house, but he had never felt as queerly nervous as he was now awaiting Miss Crabbesbrook’s onset to the abbey. Most likely due to his Lordship’s sense of duty to welcome his late cousin’s daughter and his overwhelming trust in Carson to organise all the additional minutiae.

Carson had made sure the house presentable for the new family member’s arrival, instructing the maids to present the house pristinely as possible. His lordship had instructed Carson himself to prepare a permanent room for Miss Crabbesbrook which Carson followed, checking the room once it was done himself to make sure it was adequate.

Carson stood next to Mrs Hughes, then Anna who was on his left and Mr Branson, then Mrs Crawley on his right. Standing clean, unspoiled and respectable. James and another footman stood next to the door stiffly, ready to intercept the luggage, pleasing Carson, upholding the pride of the Downton roof her worked so hard to preserve. Lady Edith and Lady Mary stood to the right of the front entrance to the Abbey dressed presentably, smiling graciously as they watched the car approach, with his Lordship and Ladyship standing at the entrance watching the now close car pull to a halt.

The chauffeur instantly exited the vehicle, popping the back compartment that Carson had been informed to be called ‘the trunk.’ The footman next to James quickly walked over to get the luggage as James positioned himself to open the automobile’s door to the obviously excited Miss MacClare and the collected Miss Crabbesbrook. Mr Branson had already exited, telling his Lordship the details of the collection of Miss Crabbesbrook before stepping next to Lady Edith to welcome her. Carson straightened his posture, recollecting his disposition to welcome the guest.

James opened the door with his eyes to the ground as he helped the already talking Lady Rose out of the car,

“…And this is it!” She said excitedly. Gesturing up the abbey. She stood next to her ladyship grinning like a child with excitement. Rose beamed broadly, taking off her hand and fiddling with it.

“It’s incredible.” The girl said eyeing the abbey from top to bottom.

Carson then flicked his eyes to James, who raised his gaze in awe to meet those of a tall, slender girl with dirty blonde hair and stormy blue eyes who Carson assumed to Miss Crabbesbrook. She was dressed in neat attire and a small hat with her hair coiled in a hairstyle Carson couldn’t describe. But the girl’s smile appeared warming, mischievous even, but paired with her cold, stormy eyes seemed to add a level of maturity to the girl’s appearance with her slightly upturned nose and pinned back, elf like ears.

James quickly glanced at Carson in embarrassment, which Carson returned with a deep frown of annoyance before James offered her his hand to climb out of the automobile which she accepted. She climbed out and as she let go of James’ hand she smiled at him, stunning Mr Kent momentarily, before she walked towards to greet his Lordship and Ladyship. James closed the door but still seemed to be eyeing Miss Crabbesbrook, causing displeasure to stir in Carson. Carson gestured to the car which the other footman was unloading already in irritation, which James understood quickly hurrying off to do.

I will need to talk to him later.

Miss Crabbesbrook approached her Ladyship.

“Welcome to Downton Genevieve, we were all so excited to hear of your arrival.” Her ladyship stated a warm, friendly smile echoed by her bright blue eyes and blinding smile Carson had grown to know during his years in Downton.

“It was so gracious of you to accept me Cousin Cora, after these horrid last few years.” Genevieve stated in an accent Carson hadn’t heard before but assumed to be Australian.

“It’s a pleasure to have you here; the whole house needed a few fresh faces.” Her ladyship said glancing at Carson and Mrs Hughes with a grin which Carson returned with a pleasant nod and smile.

“Oh yes definitely!” Rose chimed in. “It gets so boring around here sometimes!”

His Lordship gave a smile as he stepped forward to join his Ladyship. “Cousin Robert.” Genevieve said with a bright smile. “I haven’t seen you since you visited my father when I was only four years old.”

His lordship lowered his eyes before meeting Miss Crabbesbrook’s’ “You have my condolences Genevieve. Your father was one of my closest friends, not just my cousin.”

“Five years alone in Brisbane, it was quite dull. It wasn’t the same after he and Lucas died at Gallipoli…” Genevieve trailed off. “Anyway. What’s done is done. I’m here and I must say it’s wonderful.”

Miss Crabbesbrook smiled a gracious smile, one Carson recognised as genuine and unique.

The girl was taught well by her father.

“I do hope so. Carson had prepared the house immaculately for your arrival.” His Lordship said gesturing to Carson. Genevieve met his eyes and gave him that same smile.

“His lordship is too kind.” Carson said.

“One can never be too kind.” Genevieve chuckled holding her hand out to Carson as if for him to shake it. He stared at it not knowing what she intended. She drew back her hand awkwardly. Carson’s face reddened.

“Do you not hand shake when you meet people up here in England?” She asked a small blush of embarrassment on her cheeks.

Lady Mary walked up to her from where she was standing with Lady Edith. “The men do, women tend not to. I’m Mary, your cousin.”

“Ah I see, a pleasure to meet you. I didn’t realise you did things a little differently up here.” Genevieve stated with a flushed face. “No wonder people found me odd on the trip over.”

Lady Mary chuckled and continued to chat with her, Lady Edith soon joining them and introducing herself as his Lordship and Ladyship talked to Mr Branson about an unknown subject. Before Carson knew it, Mrs Hughes stepped forward with Anna. Genevieve turned to meet them, towering at least half a foot over Mrs Hughes.

“Good afternoon Miss Crabbesbrook, this is Anna. She will be your ladies maid until we can find one for you. If that pleases you Miss Crabbesbrook?”

Genevieve nodded, “Thankyou Mrs...?”

“Hughes.” She stated politely.

“Thank you Mrs Hughes.” She grinned, “And, it’s a pleasure to meet your acquaintance Anna.”

A housemaid dressed in a dress with a pinafore and cap approached Carson, quickly stating that the tea had been served before hurrying off. He stepped forward with a polite disposition.

“If you would follow me, there is tea in the drawing room.” He said gesturing to the doorway in which James and the other footmen had taken their places again.

“Ah, thank you Carson.” Her ladyship stated before the giggling Rose and Genevieve entered with Lady Mary and Lady Edith. James’ gaze still followed Miss Crabbesbrook. His Lordship and Mr Branson trailed behind the women as they walked into the Abbey still in deep conversation.

As James closed the door and turned to go back downstairs with the footman, Carson called after him with a frown.

“James! A word please.”

James stopped in his tracks and walked towards Carson. Carson looked down upon him in a dark mood. James lowered his cobalt eyes avoiding the butler’s eyes.

“I would like to remind you James that in this house downstairs servants aren’t to fraternise with guests of his Lordship or their family.” He stated curtly inhaling sharply to express his disregard.

“I was aware of that Mr Carson, sir.” James said with straight face, a sparkle of guilt and mischief in his eyes.

“I was just reminding you in case you were considering otherwise.” Carson huffed in a brusque tone.

James exited with a scarlet face and a straight face as Carson made his way to the drawing room brusquely.

***

“And then we’ll make our way to Buckingham palace and curtsy before the king and queen when they hold court.” Rose said with a grin, her blue eyes shining. “Oh it will be splendid!”

“That’s amazing.” Genevieve remarked in amazement, “Far more impressive than the small party I had when coming out into Brisbane society.”

The women all sat in the drawing room talking of the Rose and Genevieve’s coming into society in a few weeks to come. Carson was dreading the time already. Extra work, London and her ladyship’s American family members.

The women were currently taking tea in the drawing room, a large room with pale green, detailed wall paper, white doors with golden detailing, antique pieces of furniture dressing the room and large windows filling it with light.

The countess of Grantham sat across from Rose and Genevieve with Lady Mary and Lady Edith. The men had retired to take care of affairs related to the estate. She had almost playful smile, the ruffling of her blue dress heard as she leant forward.

“It will be amazing. Just you wait.”

Rose and Genevieve gushed with excitement before being interrupted by a knock at the door. Carson opened the white door to reveal the Dowager Countess smiling dryly at him.

Carson gulped before turning with refinement to open the door and announce,

“The Dowager Countess.”

She entered the room slowly but elegantly in her lacy, white day dress and large hat. Carson closed the door and stood back once more.

"Grandmamma!” Mary welcomed her, getting up and with a smile, giving her two kisses, one on each cheek before sitting her down in a patterned, blue armchair. “You should have called. We would have sent the car!”

“I didn’t want to cause a fuss, but it seems now I have…Who is this?” The Dowager Countess said nodding towards Genevieve with a disordered countenance. Genevieve lowered her dark gaze slightly under the stare of the dowager

Her ladyship stood as did everyone else in the room. She gestured to the embarrassed and now shy Genevieve. Carson shuffled uncomfortably.

“This is Harry Crabbesbrook’s  daughter. Genevieve. She’s now living with us due to the loss of her father and brother during the war. Do you recall Mr Crabbesbrook?” Cora reasoned, her cool blue eyes flicking towards Genevieve and back.

“Yes. I do remember him. But I do not recall being informed of her arrival.” The dowager said curtly, her weathered features forming an amused smirk. “He left for that country, the one which…which is so far away-”

“Australia.” Mary interjected with a small smirk upon her lips, her chocolate gaze meeting that of the dowager.

“Y-yes. Robert warned him against it. But he seemed too fixed upon travelling to the new England. He should have listened now, I see”

Genevieve lowered her gaze yet further, her cheeks reddened with embarrassment. Edith laughed with awkwardness, brushing a golden lock from her forehead, an stroppy smile gracing her features. Carson had grown up watching that smile for years, it warmed him to see it after how rather sombre she had seemed lately.

“Genevieve lost her father and brother in the war. In the Dardanelles. It seems right we give her a home.”

The dowager sat upon a couch leaning upon her cane, a look of tart amusement on her face. “And The Great War still reaps.” She said with a small smile which soon faded. “When did she arrive?”

“Earlier.” Rose said. “About an hour ago.”

“So I just missed it. I apologise for the tardiness Miss Crabbesbrook.”

“No need to apologise Cousin Violet and call me Genevieve.” Miss Crabbesbrook said with a smile, the dowager looked away in discontent for a second before meeting Genevieve’s line of sight again. She turned towards Lady Mary and her Ladyship with a slight smirk.

"Well she certainly isn’t from here is she?” The dowager remarked. Genevieve’s eyes fell the carpeted floor again.

Carson widened his eyes but hid his amazement of the dowager’s open dislike she’s taken to Miss Crabbesbrook. It didn’t seem to be going very well.

“We can’t all be like Oscar Wilde, Violet.” Cora reasoned glancing at Genevieve reassuringly.

“Thank goodness for that.” Genevieve stated with a giggle. “He may have written beautifully, but when he was concerned with the poverty of London, he came to the conclusion at some point that socialism was the answer to that particular problem. Not my idea of solution.”

Carson gaped at her in shock, the sheer impact of her statement making him puff up with a certain annoyance that astounded him.

Lady Edith chuckled with amusement, “I wouldn’t be sharing those opinions with Tom.”

The dowager glanced at Miss Crabbesbrook again. “Indeed so…Is there any tea?”

“Of course.” Mary said, pouring a cup for her from a painted teapot and placing it on a plate that matched the cup.

The dowager took the cup graciously from her and sipped from it sparingly, enjoying the warmth. She then turned towards Miss Crabbesbrook,

“It seems that Miss Crabbesbrook does have a political side like her father. How surprising.” The dowager mused good heartedly, “Tell me. Genevieve. You aren’t a fan of left wing politics are you?”

Carson’s jaw almost dropped with disbelief of how frank the dowager was being with Genevieve with sharing political views which could damage the family’s reputation if not handled well. Her ladyship gave a warning glance to the dowager, which she consequently ignored. Carson glanced at  Lady Mary looked extremely uncomfortable but slightly bemused, as if the idea of the dowager sharing political views with a guest that had only been under the roof a few hours had confused her so.

“How dare you assume so.” Genevieve put on a mask of false offense before chuckling well-meaningly, “Of course not. I believe that if this empire is to continue thriving that we preserve the old way of society whilst adopting new technologies and advances into our civilisation to make it easier for this way of life to be preserved.”  

Carson couldn’t even think. The girl’s views were his own opinion, in theory. But the talk of new technology and advances perplexed him as much as it did Mrs Patmore. Lady Mary and Lady Edith exchanged glances before Lady Mary looked at her Ladyship with a grace of awe as well as amusement. Her ladyship was smiling with surprise. Rose was silent but interested.

Miss Crabbesbrook looked quite ashamed. “I shouldn’t have shared my opinions, I’m terribly sorry I-”

“How admirable Genevieve. Her views are quite interesting?” Her ladyship intervened said turning towards Rose who nodded in agreement, then to the dowager who was taking a sip of her cooling tea.

Interesting is the word. At least I know she has a brain now. You may share your political views quite freely amongst me at least, Genevieve. I’m not one to bite heads off women share their opinions.”

“Cousin Isobel would beg to differ granny.” Lady Edith deliberated with a smirk.

Genevieve’s laughter echoes throughout the room, stirring Carson from his daze of watching the women. “How comical you are Cousin Violet.”

Carson noticed a look of verve shared between the dowager and Rose.

“I most certainly will…” Miss Crabbesbrook said soon regained her disposition.  “Now if you will excuse me, I might retire before dinner begins later.”

“Of course. “ Lady Mary stated with wide, brown eyes. “But Genevieve I wouldn’t recommend sharing those views with the other guest, Mr Horan. He arrives tomorrow and I believe he might think differently to you.”

“Oh I won’t.” She stated with a smile. “And if he does, I certainly won’t have the stomach to do so. But then again, it is always good to have a small banter with those who think they know better. It shall be interesting and nice  to greet this ‘Mr Horan’”

Her ladyship raised her eyebrows with a slight mirth in her smile. Genevieve then exited the room, thanking Carson for his service earlier. He nodded and watched the other women quietly as he closed the doors; they turned back to their conversation quietly.

“It’s going to be frenetic once Mr Horan arrives with Tom tomorrow. If he shares the same views as Tom. All hell will be loose.” Rose said worriedly.

“Oh, it already is.” The dowager stated smirking, “But I for one do not mind. If all houses need a bit of life, I believe that Miss Crabbesbrook is the exact remedy this one needs.”

A/N -Hope you liked it. Sorry if it was boring. I know Niall isn't in it yet, but he will be in Chapter Four! Stay posted. Love you guys ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 4K 36
Sandy Horan is the famous Niall Horans cousin, yet she is far from famous. Living with an abusive boyfriend and struggling to keep her head above wat...
1.9K 70 12
Emma goes to Richmond High, she has no clue who One Direction is, nor does she care. So when she wins the school contest to take a trip to the UK wi...
12K 260 37
Amy Farrington has every second of her life planned out. But what happens when her boyfriend goes on a trip to Ireland and she goes after him as a su...
9.9K 218 26
Ashley Victoria Horan is Niall Horan's step sister. Ashley has been bullied for 5 years but what happens when something made her the most well-known...