Honey Bee

By StarlightandDewdrops

The Dursleys are out, they left a young boy named Harry Potter was home, but was he alone? The answ... More

*Honey Bee*
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chspter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45

Chapter 20

1.9K 40 13
By StarlightandDewdrops

"Melissa David."

"What!" I whispered without thinking.

"Melissa. Go up to Dumbledore." Fred told me.

"But I didn't put my name in that thing." I whispered back with tears rolling down my face.

"Just go, I'm sure it's Peeves playing up." Fred reassured me.

I quickly stood up and walked up to Dumbledore.

"I didn't put my name in the cup. How is it possible?" I said to him, my throat was quiet and dry but over the silence of the crowd everyone could hear.

"Don't worry Melissa. Just enter the back room." Dumbledore said.

Viktor, Cedric Diggory, and Fleur were grouped around the fire. They looked strangely impressive, silhouetted against the flames. Viktor, hunched-up and brooding, was leaning against the mantelpiece, slightly apart from the other two. Cedric was standing with his hands behind his back, staring into the fire.

"Hello." Cedric said before I collapsed to the floor in tears, the others ran over to hug me. "Whats up?" I showed them the note.

"I didn't put my name in. I don't want to compete." I cried.

"Does anyone think you put your name in?" Cedric asked.

"I don't think so..."

"Then there's no problem." Cedric said before the door opened and Harry walked in.

"Oh no." I said.

"What is it?" Fleur said. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall? Do zey want Melissa?"

She thought he had come to deliver a message. Harry just stood there, looking at the us 'champions'.

There was a sound of scurrying feet behind him, and Ludo Bagman entered the room. He took Harry by the arm and led him forward.

"Extraordinary!" he muttered. "Absolutely extraordinary! Gentlemen...ladies," he added, approaching the fireside and addressing us. "May I introduce - incredible though it may seem - the fourth and fifth Triwizard champion?"

Fleur, tossed her hair, smiling, and said, "Oh, vairy funny joke, Meester Bagman."

"Joke?" Bagman repeated, bewildered. "No, no, not at all! Harry's name just came out of the Goblet of Fire! As did Melissa's."

"But evidently zair 'as been a mistake," she said. "'E cannot compete. 'E is too young. And Melissa, she 'as come in 'ere crying. She cannot compete."

"Well...it is amazing," said Bagman, rubbing his smooth chin and smiling. "But, as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. And as their name's come out of the goblet...I mean, I don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage....It's down in the rules, you're obliged... you two will just have to do the best you -"

The door behind us opened again, and a large group of people came in: Professor Dumbledore, followed closely by Mr. Crouch, Professor Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape. I heard the buzzing of the hundreds of students on the other side of the wall, before Professor McGonagall closed the door.

"Madame Maxime!" said Fleur at once, striding over to her headmistress. "Zey are saying zat zese little children are to compete also!"

Madame Maxime had drawn herself up to her full height. The top of her head brushed the candle-filled chandelier.

"What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?" she said imperiously.

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," said Professor Karkaroff. "Three Hogwarts champions? I don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed two champions - or have I not read the rules carefully enough?"

He gave a short and nasty laugh.

"C'est impossible," said Madame Maxime, whose enormous hand with its many superb opals was resting upon Fleur's shoulder. "'Ogwarts cannot 'ave three champions. It is most injust."

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore," said Karkaroff. "Otherwise, we would, of course, have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools."

"It's no one's fault but Potter's, Karkaroff," said Snape softly. His black eyes were alight with malice. "Don't go blaming Dumbledore for Potter's determination to break rules. He has been crossing lines ever since he arrived here -"

"Thank you, Severus," said Dumbledore firmly, "but to be clear none of us can think Melissa entered her name. One she doesn't have the magic and two look how she is."

Everyone looked down at me, I was still in Cedric and Viktor's arms.

"I was always with someone while the goblet was open ask Pansy Parkinson, Fred and George Weasley, Lee Jordan, Lavender Brown, the whole of Gryffindor. I was never alone." I managed to say.

"Fine, we believe young Melissa never entered her name, but like I said Harry Potter has always been putting his foot over the line." Professor Snape said.

"Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?" Dumbledore asked calmly.

"No," said Harry. Snape made a soft noise of impatient disbelief in the shadows.

"Did you ask an older student to put it into the Goblet of Fire for you?" said Professor Dumbledore, ignoring Snape.

"No," said Harry vehemently.

"Ah, but of course 'e is lying!" cried Madame Maxime.

"He could not have crossed the Age Line," said Professor McGonagall sharply. "I am sure we are all agreed on that -"

"Dumbly-dorr must 'ave made a mistake wiz ze line," said Madame Maxime, shrugging.

"It is possible, of course," said Dumbledore politely.

"Dumbledore, you know perfectly well you did not make a mistake!" said Professor McGonagall angrily. "Really, what nonsense! Harry could not have crossed the line himself, and as Professor Dumbledore believes that he did not persuade an older student to do it for him, I'm sure that should be good enough for everybody else!"

"Mr. Crouch...Mr. Bagman," said Karkaroff, his voice unctuous once more, "you are our - er - objective judges. Surely you will agree that this is most irregular?"

Bagman wiped his round, boyish face with his handkerchief and looked at Mr. Crouch, who was standing outside the circle of the firelight, his face half hidden in shadow. He looked slightly eerie, the half darkness making him look much older, giving him an almost skull-like appearance. When he spoke, however, it was in his usual curt voice.

"We must follow the rules, and the rules state clearly that those people whose names come out of the Goblet of Fire are bound to compete in the tournament."

"Well, Barty knows the rule book back to front," said Bagman, beaming and turning back to Karkaroff and Madame Maxime, as though the matter was now closed.

"I insist upon resubmitting the names of the rest of my students," said Karkaroff. He had dropped his unctuous tone and his smile now. His face wore a very ugly look indeed. "You will set up the Goblet of Fire once more, and we will continue adding names until each school has three champions. It's only fair, Dumbledore."

"But Karkaroff, it doesn't work like that," said Bagman. "The Goblet of Fire's just gone out - it won't reignite until the start of the next tournament -"

"- in which Durmstrang will most certainly not be competing!" exploded Karkaroff. "After all our meetings and negotiations and compromises, I little expected something of this nature to occur! I have half a mind to leave now!"

"Empty threat, Karkaroff," growled a voice from near the door. "You can't leave your champion now. He's got to compete. They've all got to compete. Binding magical contract, like Dumbledore said. Convenient, eh?"

Moody had just entered the room. He limped toward the fire, and with every right step he took, there was a loud clunk.

"Convenient?" said Karkaroff. "I'm afraid I don't understand you, Moody."

"Don't you?" said Moody quietly. "It's very simple, Karkaroff. Someone put Potter's and Melissa's names in that goblet knowing they'd have to compete if it came out."

"Evidently, someone 'oo wished to give 'Ogwarts three bites at ze apple!" said Madame Maxime.

"I quite agree, Madame Maxime," said Karkaroff, bowing to her. "I shall be lodging complaints with the Ministry of Magic and the International Confederation of Wizards -"

"If anyone's got reason to complain, it's the two 14 year olds in this," growled Moody, "but...funny thing...I don't hear Potter saying a word or Melissa speaking when not spoken to."

"Why should zey complain?" burst out Fleur, stamping her foot. "Zey 'as ze chance to compete, 'avne't zey? We 'ave all been 'oping to be chosen for weeks and weeks! Ze honor for our schools! A thousand Galleons in prize money - zis is a chance many would die for!"

"Maybe someone's hoping they are going to die for it," said Moody, with the merest trace of a growl.

"Wait... I can die!" I said before breaking out into tears again.

An extremely tense silence followed. Ludo Bagman finally spoke. "Moody, old man...what a thing to say! You've scared the poor girl!"

"We all know Professor Moody considers the morning wasted if he hasn't discovered six plots to murder him before lunchtime," said Karkaroff loudly. "Apparently he is now teaching his students to fear assassination too. An odd quality in a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Dumbledore, but no doubt you had your reasons.

"Imagining things, am I?" growled Moody. "Seeing things, eh? It was a skilled witch or wizard who put the children's names in that goblet..."

"Ah, what evidence is zere of zat?" said Madame Maxime, throwing up her huge hands.

"Because they hoodwinked a very powerful magical object!" said Moody. "It would have needed an exceptionally strong Confundus Charm to bamboozle that goblet into forgetting that only three schools compete in the tournament....I'm guessing they submitted the names under a fourth and fifth school, to make sure they were the only ones in the category...."

"You seem to have given this a great deal of thought, Moody," said Karkaroff coldly, "and a very ingenious theory it is - though of course, I heard you recently got it into your head that one of your birthday presents contained a cunningly disguised basilisk egg, and smashed it to pieces before realizing it was a carriage clock. So you'll understand if we don't take you entirely seriously...."

"There are those who'll turn innocent occasions to their advantage," Moody retorted in a menacing voice. "It's my job to think the way Dark wizards do, Karkaroff - as you ought to remember...

"Alastor!" said Dumbledore warningly. "How this situation arose, we do not know," said Dumbledore, speaking to everyone gathered in the room. "It seems to me, however, that we have no choice but to accept it. Cedric, Harry and Melissa have been chosen to compete in the Tournament. This, therefore, they will do...."

"Ah, but Dumbly-dorr -"

"My dear Madame Maxime, if you have an alternative, I would be delighted to hear it."

Dumbledore waited, but Madame Maxime did not speak, she merely glared.

"I have an alternative, I just don't compete and leave the school. I don't want to be in this stupid thing. I have just learned second year spells!" I complained.

"I'm sorry Melissa. But I'm sure everyone will agree to help teach you so you're at least to forth year level." Dumbledore said which everyone agreed to.

"Well, shall we crack on, then?" Ludo Bagman said, rubbing his hands together and smiling around the room. "Got to give our champions their instructions, haven't we? Barty, want to do the honors?"

Mr. Crouch seemed to come out of a deep reverie.

"Yes," he said, "instructions. Yes...the first task..."

The boys helped me up while Fleur moved over to me and gave me a hug.

"The first task is designed to test your daring," Barty Crouch told us, "so we are not going to be telling you what it is. Courage in the face of the unknown is an important quality in a wizard...very important.... The first task will take place on November the twenty-fourth, in front of the other students and the panel of judges. The champions are not permitted to ask for or accept help of any kind from their teachers to complete the tasks in the tournament. The champions will face the first challenge armed only with their wands. They will receive information about the second task when the first is over. Owing to the demanding and time-consuming nature of the tournament, the champions are exempted from end-of-year tests. We will allow Melissa to learn things she's missed and only that."

Mr. Crouch turned to look at Dumbledore.

"I think that's all, is it, Albus?"

"I think so," said Dumbledore, who was looking at Mr. Crouch with mild concern. "Are you sure you wouldn't like to stay at Hogwarts tonight, Barty?"

"No, Dumbledore, I must get back to the Ministry," said Mr. Crouch. "It is a very busy, very difficult time at the moment....I've left young Weatherby in charge....Very enthusiastic...a little overenthusiastic, if truth be told..."

"You'll come and have a drink before you go, at least?" said Dumbledore.

"Come on, Barry, I'm staying!" said Ludo Bagman brightly. "It's all happening at Hogwarts now, you know, much more exciting here than at the office!"

"I think not, Ludo," said Crouch with a touch of his old impatience.

"Professor Karkaroff - Madame Maxime - a nightcap?" said Dumbledore.

But Madame Maxime had already put her arm around Fleur's shoulders and was leading her swiftly out of the room.

I could hear them both talking very fast in French as they went off into the Great Hall. Karkaroff beckoned to Viktor, and they, too, exited, though in silence.

"Harry, Cedric, Melissa I suggest you go up to bed," said Dumbledore, smiling at both of them. "I am sure Gryffindor and Hufflepuff are waiting to celebrate with you, and it would be a shame to deprive them of this excellent excuse to make a great deal of mess and noise."

"Sir can I stay in the Slytherin common room tonight?" I asked.

"Certainly, Severus I suggest that you give them a heads up." Dumbledore said before Snape nodded and left in a side door.

Me, Harry and Cedric walked out the room.

The Great Hall was deserted now; the candles had burned low, giving the jagged smiles of the pumpkins an eerie, flickering quality.

"So," said Cedric, with a slight smile. "We're playing against each other again!"

"I s'pose," said Harry while I just nodded.

"So...tell me..." said Cedric as they reached the entrance hall, which was now lit only by torches in the absence of the Goblet of Fire. "How did you get your name in?"

"I didn't," said Harry, staring up at him. "I didn't put it in. I was telling the truth."

"Ah...okay," said Cedric. I could tell Cedric didn't believe him. "No point asking you Melissa, you must be stupid to put your name in. Well...see you, then."

"Tell Fred I'm in the Slytherin common room and I'll see him in the morning." I said before starting to walk off.

"Melissa." Harry said. I turned. "You know I didn't put my name in right?"

"Yes I believe you. I also hope you believe me." That was my final word before walking down to the dungeons. I had no idea were the Slytherin common room was but I saw Draco in the corridor, I ran over and have him a hug.

"We believe you Melissa." He said.

"Thank you. I don't think the Gryffindors could handle two champions and I needed to be around friends."

"We're throwing you a party." Draco said making me laugh. "Don't worry if your not up to it."

"I am, I can put up with it." I said before wiping away my leftover tears and walking to a portrait.

"Pure Blood." Draco said, the portrait swung open and a massive cheer erupted.

I saw congratulations banners, party food, music was playing. It made me feel loads better.

"Speech! Speech!" A chant started, so I climbed onto a table. Like you do.

"Ok, first off thanks everyone for this. Even though your meant to hate me. Second, the crackers taste like crap. Don't eat them." I saw Blaise put a cracker down.

"Thanks for the heads up!" Blaise said.

"No problem. Third, I have no idea how my name got into the goblet, I have no idea why and I'm really scared about it. But I'm going to kick ass! Well I hope. Thanks again for this and I hope I live and make you all proud." Everyone started to clap and chant my name. I climbed off the table and the party went on.

I felt like a new toy being tossed from person to person. Everyone wanted to talk to me. When I tried to sit down people started to talk to me again.

I finally managed to escape and sat down with Pansy, Draco and Blaise in the boys dorm.

"So Moody thinks someone wants to kill you and Potter?" Blaise said.

"Yes, bit downgrading really. Someones in to kill me. You'll guys help me live right? I don't care about winning, living is the main goal." I said.

"Your going to live. It's the modern games now, they won't let you die. Now we're going to teach you every spell we know. You'll be note taking about useful spells in useless classes. You will win." Pansy said.

"Thanks guys."

"Let's go to bed." Pansy said as we snuck out the boys dorm and to the girls. It was like the Gryffindor girls dorm but the walls were stone and it was green. "Hey an extra bed." Pansy said pointing.

"How convenient." I said.

"Well night." Pansy said getting into bed fully clothed. I on the other hand removed my cloak, tie, shoes, socks and jumper before going to bed.

The Tri-Wizard Tournament!

I'm going to die!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.2K 930 61
*COMPLETED* The Golden Trio go back to Hogwarts to retake their seventh year. They then find out they must be married to someone with no choice. Herm...
224K 4.8K 87
I hope she is alright, wherever she is. I can't lose anyone else I love, specially not her. She is my 'first' everything. If I lose her then I could...
754 10 70
Artemis Victoria Malfoy was the younger Twin sister to none other than Draco Malfoy himself and growing up, the both of them have always been close b...
74 2 11
A search for the truth. A battle of friends. A longing for love. A trial of loyalty. Follow Diana Prince through her years at Hogwarts. This will be...