Potter

By lillyanbrooks

Lily Potter is an average 15 year old living in the United States in 2011. When magic upheaves her life and d... More

Potter
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapterlette 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27(Alternate)
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33(FINALLY)
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Epilogue: Part 1/7
Epilogue : Part 2/7
Epilogue : Part 3/7
Epilogue : Part 4/7
Epilogue : Part 5/7
Epilogue : Part 6/7
Epilogue : Part 7/7

Chapter 49

53.2K 2K 1.5K
By lillyanbrooks

"Hello, class. I am your new Dark Arts professor." Amycus Carrow announced at the front of the class, smiling maliciously. Some of the students broke out into a soft mutter, one particularly brave Ravenclaw raising their hand up above their head.

"Professor, isn't it Defense Against the Dark Arts?" He asked curiously, eyebrows furrowed. Amycus pursed his lips before he flicked his wand. I cringed with the rest of the class when a bright red gash appeared across the Ravenclaw's face. He let out a loud cry, clutching at his face.

"You will not speak unless first spoken too." Amycus said pleasantly, smiling as he leant back against his desk. Hesitantly the Ravenclaw's table partner raised her hand, biting her lip as she waited to be called on. Amycus waited a few seconds, fiddling with the handle on his wand before he looked up, eyebrows raised.

"Did you need something?"

"Can I take Michael to the Infirmary?" She asked carefully. Her eyes widened in fear when Amycus laughed.

"It's his fault he got that scratch, now he's gonna deal with it like a big boy." Amycus stuck his bottom lip out mockingly. The girl gave a jerky nod, dropping her hand back into her lap, eyes remaining on the books that sat in front of her. Michael meanwhile had his eyes tightly shut, hand pressed against the wound. I could see the blood seeping from between his fingers.

"Do I have any more questions?" Amycus asked carefully, eyebrows raised. The class remained silent. I could feel Neville tense beside me, and timidly I reached over, grabbing his hand and squeezing it comfortingly. He squeezed back before pulling away, turning back to his book with a forced look of concentration. I mimicked his actions, blocking out Amycus's lecture on the usefulness of the Dark Arts, and how important and wonderful they are. I feared if I actually paid attention I would become sick from the pure joy he spoke about them with.

"Miss Longbottom, tell me. What are the three unforgivable curses, according to the Ministry?" Amycus's voice inquired. Quickly I snapped out of my daydreams, glancing up with wide eyes.

"Um- Uh, the imperius curse." I said quickly, straightening my shoulders and trying to look like I had been paying attention. "The cruciatus curse, and the killing curse. Sir."

"And what are the uses of these curses, Miss Longbottom?"

"The killing curse.. kills." I stated first, shifting uncomfortably. "The cruciatus curse tortures those under it, while the imperius allows you to control someone."

"Good." Amycus nodded, hands behind his back as he paced in front of his desk. "I am aware most of you covered these spells in your fourth year, but I saw fit to start the year off with them anyway. May I have a volunteer?"

The class grew very, very quiet.

"No volunteers?" Amycus asked, eyebrows raised. "Very well. Mr. Longbottom, if you'd step up please?"

A soft sound of protest escaped my throat as Neville moved to stand up. Almost protectively I reached out, grabbing his hand in an attempt to get him to sit back down, but I had to let go when Amycus let out a pointed cough. Neville walked stiffly to the front of the class, body tense with anticipation.

"I am going to be demonstrating the imperius curse on Mr. Longbottom today." Amycus flicked his wand silently at Neville, and for a moment I thought nothing had happen. But then Neville collapsed to the ground, writhing silently.

"What are you doing?" I cried, leaning over my desk. Choked sound's were leaving my friend's throat, and panic had sent any rational thought out of my mind.

"You will raise your hand if you wish to speak." Amycus snapped, looking up at me sharply. "Now sit down and watch."

I did so silently, keeping my hand clasped over my mouth to muffle any protest that might escape without my knowledge. Neville had stopped writhing now, but I couldn't tell if it was because he was in control again or if the imperius curse had made him.

"Now, what people don't realize about the imperius curse is that not only can it control the mind and body, but it can control parts inside the body. Take Mr. Longbottom's lungs, for example. With the use of the imperius curse, I was able to make them stop working.  You may take your seat, Longbottom."

Neville picked himself up off the ground clumsily, his breathing heavy as he took his seat next to me once more. As Amycus continued on about the imperius curse I leaned over.

"Are you alright?" I murmured. Neville gave a short nod, never looking away from Amycus.

"I'm fine." His throat was raspy and hoarse-sounding, and I made a silent promise to myself to make sure he drank something soothing later. Silently I leant back over to my own seat, though my hand remained with Neville, resting lightly over his. We endured the rest of the class together.

~

"I can't believe it." Ginny sounded aghast as we told her what had happened during Defense Against the Dark Arts earlier. It was the end of the school day now, and we were all huddled up together in the Gryffindor common room. Neville nodded lightly, sipping the tea I had gotten from the house elves. His voice was slowly starting to sound less raspy, but every now and then he'd still cough.

"It was awful." I sighed, shaking my head. "And you should've seen Michael Corner's face. I hope it doesn't scar."

"I think he went to the Infirmary after class." Neville said after a moment, biting his lip with a thoughtful expression. "I think he'll be alright. Just a little shaken."

"Well either way, I'm not looking forward to it tomorrow. Muggle studies was absolutely horrid." Ginny shuddered. She hadn't had Defense Against the Dark Arts yet, but she had an hour of it to look forward to tomorrow. Neville and I would be stuck with Muggle Studies, but thankfully we would at least have transfiguration with McGonagle afterwords.

"On a level of one to ten, how bad?" I asked warily. Ginny grimaced.

"About a strong twelve."

"That's encouraging." Neville mumbled, frowning slightly as he sipped his tea. I shrugged helplessly, my fingers tapping lightly against the fabric of the couch. They were right. It was horrible, and it was only the first day. And it was only going to get worse.

But maybe, just maybe I had the ability to change that.

~

The night after the second day I sat in the headmaster's office, staring at one Severus Snape through narrowed eyes.

"Severus! They are torturing the students out there!" I snapped from where I sat in front of his desk, still holding the ice pack to my face. Snape had offered to heal the bruise, but it would be no good; The Carrow's announcement of a ban on any healing for any type of punishment, and I'd rather not bring more pain on myself just yet.

"What do you wish me to do about it? You know they will speak to the Dark Lord if they think I am being lenient on those who fight against him."

"I don't know. Say something about the papers finding out, or parents being angry. But they left a giant gash Michael Corner's face yesterday, nearly murdered Neville and I don't like getting in trouble myself."

"Then stop being reckless."

"If you didn't want me to fight, why did you want me here in the first place?" I snapped, arms crossing over my chest stubbornly. Snape let out an exasperated sigh, shaking his head.

"You are impossible. As stubborn as your father."

"My stubbornness is not the topic of this conversation. It's one thing to allow the students to be punished, but if it keeps going like this someone is going to end up dead."

"I will see what I can do, but I promise there is not much." He sighed, folding his hands on where they sat on the desk. "Some events were meant to fold out, Lily. You may need to accept that."

"So you're saying I should just not care if someone dies?" I was appalled.Snape looked unapologetic as he gave a small shrug.

"That is not the wording I would use."

"Then what?"

"Everything happens for a reason. You know this. And you should also know death is not the worst of options in this war."

"That doesn't automatically make it pleasant, Severus." I said snippily, eyes narrowing. "Dumbledore sent me back here to try and save people. To reach the better outcome. How the hell do you suggest I do that if I let people die?"

"That is not my dilemma."

"You could at least lend a helping hand! I'm on my own here." I sighed, shaking my head. It throbbed slightly in protest of the movement, and I lightly touched my temples, rubbing gently to try and smooth the ache away. "I don't know how to do this. I thought I would be destroying horcruxes- That was the plan! Two years ago, that's what I was supposed to be doing. Not this-"

"And you did manage to destroy the diadem. But plans change. That is not your job any longer. Albus decided you were not fit for it."

"When the hell did he decide that?"

"When you made the foolish mistake of developing a crush on Draco Malfoy." Snape said sharply, black eyes narrowing. I recoiled, glaring back at him. He would play that card.

"That had nothing to do with it-"

"Yes it did, and you very well know it! As soon as you ran off with him you lost sight of the horcruxes. You blanked. You became useless, and you nearly died because of it. It was your foolishness that nearly got you killed in your fifth year, at the Ministry."

"But I didn't get killed."

"Because you have insurmountable amounts of luck, apparently. But you will not be risking yourself in such a blatant manner again. You lost your chance at finding the Horcruxes, so I beg of you, stop the foolishness and focus on your current objective. The Order believes you are here to help the students in the school. I fear you have forgotten that it I who requested you come to Hogwarts this year."

"Well, you haven't exactly given me any assignments."

"I have someone else working for me as well. You however are an important alley into what those who do not follow the Dark Lord are up to. I need to know what they plan, what they're doing-"

"You want me to spy on my friends?"

"Only for the reason that they do not disrupt what must happen. Despite some beliefs, I do not underestimate those in your house. I know they will try to rebel. Some acts I will allow. But other things they must not interfere with. You are already in their group- What better a person to be on the inside than you?"

"No offense, but you're being a bit of an ass, Severus." I muttered, my hands dropping into my lap. But no matter how much I disliked the idea, he had a point. Letting out a loud sigh I slumped back into my chair, finally giving up. Severus's lips twitched slightly as he rose from his chair.

"I take it you are seeing my side?"

"Yeah." I muttered. "Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, though."

"You don't need to be happy, just understanding. You will do fine. Just anytime someone tries to... act out, please alert me."

"And if they get caught, what about the Carrows? Am I just supposed to let them be tortured to death?"

"I will not be paying attention to everything. Some things will slide, however I do warn you that those I find I will not take lightly. Their disrespect must be dealt with somehow."

"But no death." I said firmly. Snape rolled his eyes, giving a loud sigh.

"You know that is out of the realm of possibility for me to con-"

"No death, Severus!"

He grimaced, still looking annoyed but much less obstinate. "I will see what I can do."

I grinned brightly, wincing when it pulled the bruised skin on my face taut. Softening my expression, I made a mental note to be careful of common face movements. At Snape's look of amusement I stopped the smile all together, taking on a serious expression.

"Thank you, Severus."

"I will try my best. Now I want you to head back to your common room- Straight back. Your curfew is soon, and the Carrows will not be pleased to see you out." He sighed, moving to sit back down his chair. I rose from mine, trying to enjoy the last few seconds of coolness from the ice pack before I set it down as well.

"I suppose you're right. Night, Severus." I said, turning around to leave the large room. I had made it to the door, hand on the doorknob when Severus spoke again, not bothering to look up from his desk.

"Goodnight, Lily. Sleep well."

With a small smile I slid out of the room, shutting the door behind me. Carefully I walked down the stairs, hurrying through the corridors in an attempt to get to the Gryffindor entrance as soon as possible. I was nervous about taking the stairs, the wide-open space making me an easy target for any spying Carrow.

I shifted my bag over my shoulder nervously, eyes darting around the empty halls as I made my way. I was getting towards the stairs when a figure moved form up ahead, and quickly I felt my stomach sink. It was too late to take cover behind anything, and no way to duck into a corridor without making an obvious movement.

As the figure got closer however, I noticed three things.

One: It was male.

Two: He was too short to be Amycus.

And three: I had seen him before.

"You." I gasped lightly, feeling like my heart had dropped into my stomach. The boy blinked back at me, amusement obvious in his dark eyes.

"Me?" He asked curiously, tilting his head to the side as he stepped forward. "I don't think I've ever actually said anything to you to garner such a response."

He was right, of course. He didn't know me with this face, but I certainly knew him. He was the boy from the wedding, the Death Eater. The one that had miraculously let me go instead of killing me where I stood. I bit my tongue in a small punishment for using it in the first place, trying to figure out a cover as he approached, staring curiously. "Do I know you somehow?"

"No, no." I said quickly, shaking my head. I could feel the blood rush to my cheeks. I hoped he interpreted it as embarrassment instead of fear. "You just looked like someone I knew."

"Obviously not someone very pleasant." He said dryly. "Does my face truly remind you of something that horrific?"

"Of course not!" I wanted to cringe at how high my voice rose, but I could only stand there, immobile for the moment. If I left now, he would suspect something. But my wand was in my bag, and I doubt flinging my bag at him would the greatest- or smartest- form of defense. The boy laughed amusedly, stepping forward and holding out his hand.

"You're funny. What's your name?"

"Alecia." I answered slowly, reaching out and shaking his hand. His skin was cold. I let go as soon as I could, letting my fingers wrap around the strap of my bag. "Yours?"

"Thatcher." He answered, watching me with narrowed eyes. "Marcus Thatcher."

"Well, it was wonderful meeting you, Marcus." I chimed, taking the end of the awkward introduction to make my leave. I moved to leave, trying to slide my hand out of his when he gripped it tighter, keeping me rooted to my spot.

"So what are you doing out here at this time, Miss Alecia?" His tone was playful. I wanted to cry. I tried to figure out a quick excuse, trying to find something reasonable. But there was really no time for that. Instead I lifted my chin, trying to keep my lips form wavering as I spoke.

"I don't need to answer to you." I said sternly, jerking my hand roughly out of his to continue my way down the hall. I could feel his eyes remain on me as I walked away, the heels of my shoes clacking away against the hard floor and forcing me to slow my pace, lest I wanted to seem like I was running away.

My heart rate was still thrumming quickly, and it didn't slow down till I had entered the Gryffindor common room, the door shut tightly behind me.

It seemed like the Carrows weren't the only Death Eaters I had to worry about.

*

*   *

*  *  *

A/N

Happy New Year! Hope you all have had a wonderful start.  Posting this chapter tonight, won't be posting anything this upcoming twentieth(I'll be at a wedding, hence the early post now), but I will attempt to again soon-ish?

Vote, fan and please comment!

Luv you all,

Lily.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.9K 618 15
You're a new student at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and wizardry everything is fine but U are the daughter of Tom riddle ur life is constantly full...
379 31 15
(On Hiatus) Lily-Rose finds herself waking up in a 11-year-old Hermione Granger's body. After falling asleep as a 25-year-old woman in 2023. With her...
797 4 46
Lily Potter is eleven years old. She has been patiently waiting for her turn to go to Hogwarts. But there are a few notches. She is a lycanthrope. Sh...
20.1K 797 11
Book three!! Lily is in her final year of Hogwarts and has a lot to do. From being head girl to trying to go back in the past. What will happen to Li...