A Story of Cinders: From the...

By cptjand

For freedom, justice, and a little bit of revenge. After decades of war and conflict, the Old World was bu... More

Notes from the Author (you can skip this part if you want to)
Prologue: Man in Black
Chapter 1: Gunslinger
Chapter 2: Ten Feet Tall
Chapter 3: Hero of War
Chapter 4: Burn It Down
Chapter 5: The Virus of Life
Chapter 6: A Horse with No Name
Chapter 7: Lonesome Town
Chapter 8: Breathe
Chapter 9: Masters of War
Chapter 10: Let's Get It On
Chapter 11: Perfect Situation
Chapter 12: Rusty Cage
Chapter 13: Sick Like Me
Chapter 14: Jailbreak
Chapter 15: Sound and Fury
Chapter 16: Fear of the Dark
Chapter 17: So Cold
Chapter 18: The House of the Rising Sun
Chapter 19: Know your Enemy
Chapter 20: The Hangman's Song
Chapter 21: Bad Company
Chapter 22: Monkey Wrench
Chapter 23: Fake It
Chapter 24: Seek and Destroy
Chapter 25: Madhouse
Chapter 26: Scar Tissue
Chapter 27: Sharp Dressed Man
Chapter 28: Anastasia
Chapter 29: Friends in Low Places
Chapter 30: Joker and the Thief
Chapter 31: Patience
Chapter 32: Battle Royale
Chapter 33: This Means War
Chapter 34: The Point of No Return
Chapter 35: Long, Hard Times to Come
Chapter 36: Snow
Chapter 37: Wasteland
Chapter 38: Come Together
Chapter 39: God's Gonna Cut You Down
Chapter 40: Built for War
Chapter 42: The End of Illusion
Chapter 43: Yesterday
Chapter 44: Embers
Chapter 45: I Will Follow You into the Dark
Chapter 46: Voices
Chapter 47: The Golden Age
Chapter 48: Start Again
Chapter 49: Welcome to the Family
Chapter 50: Knights of Cydonia
Chapter 51: Bonfire
Chapter 52: With a Little Help from My Friends
Chapter 53: Still of the Night
Chapter 54: Jump
Chapter 55: Beast
Chapter 56: Iron
Chapter 57: Guerilla Radio
Chapter 58: Hunter Eats Hunter
Chapter 59: Running up that Hill
Chapter 60: Welcome Home
Chapter 61: Arsonist's Lullaby
Chapter 62: The Trooper
Chapter 63: The Parting Glass
Chapter 64: Phoenix

Chapter 41: Run to the Hills

3 0 0
By cptjand

It passes through Will's fingers, obliterating Karlov's body armor, and burying itself into his body. It takes him off the ground, badly bleeding. But not dead. The bodyguards move fast. Two pick Karlov up off the ground while the other two go after the assailants. Will and Nox make short work of the two, taking the rifles for their own. The bodyguards have disappeared into the labyrinth. Will taps his comlink.

     "John, why did you shoot him in the fucking side? He's still alive!"

     "My shot got rushed," John answers. "They kicked open my door, and Charlie and Louis are in trouble."

     "You had one fucking job! Now he's getting away!"

     "You two get him then! I have to go save my teammates!"

     "Are you giving me orders, sergeant?"

     "I most certainly am! You have to--" the comlink cuts out. Will taps his earpiece again, trying to get through to John. Nothing.

     "Does your comlink work, Nox?" Will asks.

     "No. Must have been a short range EMP. Anything electronic that isn't Zhar-Ptitsa made must be down."

     "Oh fuck all!" Will screams. "This is fan-fucking-tastic! How the Hell are we going to get ahold of the other four? Are there any pigeons around that I could tie a message to?"

     "You're getting distracted again."

     "Right. Now where's our shit? We'll get our weapons, then follow the blood."

     "Will? Will?!" John frantically still screams through the comlink.

     "I think they set off an EMP. My console's down, too," Red says, shouting over the gunfire.

     "Then why does their shit work?"

     "They have a countermeasure built in to protect their equipment," she replies. John shakes his head, pursing his lips in irritation.

     "We have to get to the others as fast as we can." John pulls out the magazine in his M4, exchanging it for a magazine labeled 'AP'. Armor piercing. These should help. He peeks around the corner, firing a couple paced shots at one soldier, then turning to the other, repeating. John and Red take off springing, not stopping until they reach the ground floor. Four soldiers are spraying a fusillade of gunfire into a doorway. Two dead soldiers lay on the ground next to a third, larger body. The Brawler. The two see an arm peek around the doorframe, blindfiring a revolver. It hits a pillar near one of the soldiers. One of the soldiers reaches down to their belt, taking a grenade. They throw it into the doorway. The soldiers look away. After a few seconds, a blinding flash erupts from the doorway. John and Red hear Charlie cursing. A soldier runs into the doorway while the others hold their fire, intending to flush the stunned Charlie out, or take him out.

     John lifts his rifle, quickly aiming at the running soldier. He sets off a burst of three bullets, all three catching the runner in the spine. The other three soldiers quickly turn to see John and Red on the balcony above. One of them shouts something in Russian, then the three start shooting. John and Red quickly duck behind cover, watching the wooden bannister burst into splinters. Charlie peeks around the corner, taking one final shot from the revolver.

     Two soldiers remain.

     Red peeks out, shooting half a dozen bullets at a soldier. It steps back, stunned from the impact, but practically unhurt.

     "Don't you have armor piercing bullets for that thing?" John shouts, finishing Red's job for her.

     One left.

     And this one was a juggernaut, wearing especially heavy armor. John shoots at him, but his small caliber bullets ping impotently off his metal plating. He shoots again, trying again to keep his attention. He taps Red on the shoulder. "Get behind him and stab him somewhere soft." As soon as he said that, he looked up, watching Charlie creep up on the brute from behind. He grabs the juggernaut's helmet, pulling it off. His face is gnarled and scarred, probably fairly ugly before the scars. His head is shaved, with a surgical scar on the back of his head. He turns to Charlie who already has his tomahawk at the ready. Charlie swings it over his head, right into the crown of the juggernaut's skull. His face freezes dumbly before falling to his knees and slumping over to the ground. Charlie steps on his chest, pulling the tomahawk with a sickening slushing sound.

     "Is Karlov dead?" Charlie asks, looking at the somehow still breathing body of the Brawler.

     "Severely wounded, but he walked out," John replies. "He won't get far, though." Charlie merely grunts in response. "Is Louis?" John asks.

     "Not quite. You have any more of that stuff you gave me?"

     "I've got one left," John ran downstairs. As he knelt over the wounded warrior, searching for a vein, Red says, "We're gonna have to carry him out, and there's more soldiers on their way. We're gonna get killed trying to get him out of here."

     Charlie, who was looking at the door for reinforcements, snaps back at her. "Would you rather we leave him to die?"

     "I don't know why you care, Mr. 'I don't do teams.'" Charlie, without looking, spins out his revolver and aims it at her. "Care to try again?" he challenges her.

     "Time and place, you two," John barks, injecting Louis with the platelet catalyzer. "We don't leave teammates behind. We're all getting him out of here. That's an order."

     "I resent the order, but for the record, you're right," Charlie says, holstering his revolver. He and John each drape one of Louis' arms over their shoulders and heft him up, his feet dragging on the ground.

     "I'd rather you not shoot our teammates, Charlie," John says under his breath, straining under Louis' mass.

     "I was bluffing. Gun's not even loaded."

      Aloud, John says "Let's find some transportation and get the Hell outta here!"

     "What about Will and Nox?" Red asks, looking around for soldiers.

     "No idea. I'll talk to 'em when the coms are back up!"  Red throws the doors open to the outside world.

     For the first time since they arrived, the winds and ash had settled enough for them to see miles out. More of the same forest extended northward, with a battered, destroyed road running through rocks and crags, until, in the distance, the crags and trees are replaced with shattered concrete and gnarled metal beams, the rocks for rubble. The remnants of small buildings loomed in the distance, like ghosts of the past. Charlie looks for a second, then immediately bows his head away, breaking his sight from the Ground Zero.

     Karlov's pace has slowed. He can't possibly walk any farther. It wasn't the first time he had been shot, but last time he had more guards. And a more readily available medical evacuation. His bodyguards lifted him up, helping him go onward. He had to get to his craft. And when he got back to Moscow, he would drop another bomb on Pinnacle. Spillane wasn't walking out of this one. But before he bombed the damned city, he would take Will down. He would have his sleeper agents lock the vainglorious fool in his manor, then burn the place to cinders. It's what he did to the last people who tried to kill him. Or perhaps he would just have him poisoned. They are at a door out of this building. He reaches out for the knob.

     Bang! Bang!

     Both his bodyguards drop dead. He weakly falls to the ground, unable to stand anymore. He turns around, sitting with his back to the door. Then he spots his assailants. Will Spillane and Nox. He still couldn't figure out who the latter was. Both their guns are smoking. The two slowly walk over to him, Wills cane tapping against the tile with each step.

     "What will you do now, Czar?" Nox says almost snarling. Karlov, pausing to catch his breath, replies quietly, "I will take you to Hell with me." Weakly, he draws his pistol from his hip. Before he takes a shot, Will unsheathes his cane sword and drives it through Karlov's gut. His face freezes in shock as he groans in agony. Nox quickly aims for the head. Then, he smiles. An eerie, full smile. He pulls the trigger.

     And it was all over.

     One bullet to the head. Karlov was dead, and there was nothing special about it. He did not burst into flames to be resurrected like the glorious phoenix he so idolized. Nor did he leak acid like the horrifying monster people perceived him to be. For all his power and grandeur, people seemed to forget he was just a man. And he died being just that.

     The reality of this was setting in for Will and Nox. They stood for a moment in shock. Then Will started laughing. A quiet chuckle slowly evolving into a mad cackle. Nox joined him, laughing now for the first time in years. Will pressed his foot against the corpse. He pushed against it, sliding his sword out of the man's midsection. As he did that, something fell out of Karlov's ear. It was an earpiece. He faintly heard chattering. He held it up to his ear. Laughter from the other end.

     It can't be...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.5K 301 6
Surviving the Apocalypse won't be easy. . . After nationwide terror attacks and amid rumors of a deadly pandemic and the implementation of martial l...
61.7K 593 8
It's been five years since the plague struck. Leah knows there are other survivors, but she's avoiding them. She is doing just fine on her own. Survi...
359 4 15
In his younger days, renowned Bounty Hunter turned Town Sheriff Castor Jennings Feenix had been a formidable terrorizing force to be reckoned with, a...
357 109 26
In the beginning, our universe was dark and cold, with no life. Until the creator of the outerverse, Nova, breathed life into existence, bringing bal...