Chapter 64: Phoenix

The next morning, Will sat at the table in the War Room. Nox took the chair to his left. Down the rest of the way, the leaders of all the independent city-states sat quietly. Everybody except Carrie Barlow. She had taken off back to Crockett immediately. Peace there was fragile now that the Zhar-Ptitsa issue had been dealt with. "Ladies and gentlemen," Will started. "I've gathered you all here to discuss reparations of losses incurred during the battle." Down the line, Christine Sunderland, the leader of Cydonia, chuckled slightly. "There's no need," she said. "We all knew what we were getting into when we agreed to this, right?"

"Speak for yourself," Tom Anderson, one of the councilmen from Koyec said. "You brought that fight into our city."

"And into mine," Will responded curtly. "It was coming for all of us, one way or another. But now Czar Abram is dead, and the Zhati with him. Our only priority at this point is to ensure the longevity of our species. The first way I can start to do that is by making good on my word. Everything I have promised you is already on its way. Food, money, et cetera."

"You know," starts the leader of The Rock- a ginger man named Cameron Godfrey, "if we're looking into keeping everyone alive, maybe we have to do something other than just work trade routes." He stopped, looking around the room.

"Continue, Mr. Godfrey," Will said, leaning forward in his chair.

"Well, we've already started working together like this, throwing around food, resources, and manpower to each other, and look what we accomplished? We beat the damn Zhati. The United States military couldn't even do that. Maybe we should all stick together."

"Like an alliance?" Christine asked.

"Maybe something else. Like a federation." There was murmuring about the room, and slow nodding of heads.

"But what about the rest of the city-states that aren't here?" asked Tom. "This would be pretty expansive territory, going from Pinnacle to Koyec, and from the coast to Big Sky. A lot of other people live around here that don't get a say in this. Now I'm all for the idea, but..."

"We'll have to discuss that with them when we get the chance," Will said. "Now who would be in charge of such a thing?" More murmuring and discussion. Then Christine slowly points a finger. At Will. He looked up, shocked. The rest followed Christine's example. "Why me?" he asked. On the outside he was a professional. But on the inside, he was a giddy child.

"You made all this happen," Cameron said. "Without you, we'd all have been taken over. We'd never have stood a chance. You brought us this far, I think you should take us the rest of the way." Will silently nodded. "Aye, I see. We'll discuss this federation more when all concerned parties are present. In the meantime, this meeting is adjourned." And with that, they all left. Except for Nox.

"Well, look at you now," Nox said, his modulator still on. But Will could only see the Charred man under the robes anymore. "Ten years ago, you were a scrappy little rebel. Now, you have your own nation."

"If you had told me ten years ago—or even six months ago-- I'd be here, I'd have laughed you out of my office."

"What was it that I told you six months ago?"

"That you had a plan. That you wanted Czar Abram dead. And not much else."

"And we've all reaped the benefits of my little plan."

"Tell that to the dead," Will replied curtly.

"Oh my... Was that anger I heard in you?"

"Yes. Your little revenge quest got thousands killed."

"My little revenge quest just eradicated one of the greatest evils humanity has ever known from the planet."

"I don't think you care about him being 'evil.' I think you care more about what he did to you personally."

"Don't presume to know my motives, Mr. Spillane."

"The Saint."

"What?"

"You will call me the Saint."

"I will call you what I want to call you." Nox paused. "It was a pleasure working with you, Will. We'll see each other again sometime." With that, Nox left. Will didn't say a word to him. But if he ever saw that man in his city again, there would be hell to pay.

Will went up to his office, mulling over what had all been said in the meeting. It was too much to absorb for now. And anyway, he still had a city to run. He sat down at his desk, the sun rising at his back, wondering what was next.