Chapter 4: Burn It Down

Start writing your story

            Gray Wolf awoke in his bed to the sound of screaming and the smell of smoke. Shit... He sat up in bed, completely naked. He wakes up the girl in his bed, the waitress from the bar. "Get dressed and go out the back! Now!" She runs, hastily redressing herself. Quickly, he puts on his cargos, vest, weapons and holsters, and his long gray overcoat. He doesn't bother lacing up his boots. No time to waste. He jumps out the window onto the balcony, then drops to the ground. There are four enforcers outside the door he drops in front of, surprised at what has literally fallen into their laps. They shout at him in Russian, raising their Kalishnikovs. Quickly, Gray Wolf unloads his revolver, spraying from the hip, killing two and wounding one. Then he bolts, running straight into the major. The major pistol whips Gray Wolf in the head, knocking him unconscious.

He wakes up on his knees, bound at the wrists, with the barrel of his own magnum in his face. "Well... Shit," he said, resigned. The major smiled. "Were you not warned that you would pay for your insubordination? And now you will die, by your own weapon," the major said in clear, unbroken English, albeit still with a thick Russian accent.

"I'm worth more alive, aren't I?" Gray Wolf says, stumbling slightly over his words.

"Yes, but for the trouble you've been causing, I won't take any more chances. For years, you have been a nuisance, constantly hindering our mission here in America—" the major continues, before being interrupted.

"Get on with it... You don't wanna get caught monologuing, do ya?" The major smiles, cocking the pistol. "I am going to enjoy this, Gray Wolf." Gray Wolf closes his eyes, accepting his fate, thinking about who he will soon be joining. There is a loud cracking sound resounding through the air. Gray Wolf thinks to himself Huh. Still alive. Cool. "Did you miss?" he says aloud. He opens his eyes to find the headless body of the major laying on the ground in front of him. The fuck... Another crack thunders throughout the air, and another soldier loses their head. This one had his kukri. He rolls over to the kukri, and rubs his bound wrists against the cutting edge, trying desperately to free himself. The remaining two soldiers, trying to find the sniper. Suddenly, it feels as if a black hole has taken hold of the Gray Wolf, pulling him into the shelter of a burned out stone building. As he flies back, he catches hold of the edge of his beloved blade with his fingertips. He looks up to see what it was that has taken hold of him. It was the mean looking motherfucker! "Oh God, don't hurt me."

"If I wanted to hurt you, I would have done it while they had you unconscious."

"Huh, well thanks, I guess. Can you do me a favor and cut these fucking ropes?" With a single hand, the behemoth rips the bindings. "Much obliged." Gray Wolf says to the hulking man. The two remaining soldiers, continuing their sweep of the town, approach what remained of the building. Gray Wolf and the Brawler press themselves against the wall of the building nearest to the door. One of the enforcer's guns peeks through the doorway. Brawler grabs the barrel of the gun and yanks it forward with enough force to pull the man off his feet. He grabs the soldier by the back of the neck and slams him against the wall. The impact kills him instantly, and knocks the masonry of the wall loose, leaving behind a scarlet smear. The other soldier enters, gun trained on the giant. Gray Wolf swings around the corner with his kukri. The blade connects with his neck. The soldier hits the ground, gasping for air. Gray Wolf stands over his fallen foe, and says to him, "I don't fucking think so!" He pulls the blade from his neck, blood spurting like a geyser. The giant turned to face Gray Wolf. "Thank you. My name is Louis, but most people call us Brawler."