Playing With Chance

By AngelHidingHorns

Playing with chance? Not a good idea. Eventually it will throw something at you that you don't know how to... More

Playing With Chance - Chapter 1
Playing With Chance - Chapter 2
Playing With Chance - Chapter 3
Playing With Chance - Chapter 4
Playing With Chance - Chapter 5
Playing With Chance - Chapter 7
Playing With Chance - Chapter 8
Playing With Chance - Chapter 9
Playing With Chance - Chapter 10
Playing With Chance - Chapter 11
Playing With Chance - Chapter 12
Playing With Chance - Chapter 13
Playing With Chance - Chapter 14
Playing With Chance - Chapter 15
Playing With Chance - Chapter 16
Playing With Chance - Chapter 17
Playing With Chance - Chapter 18
Playing With Chance - Chapter 19
Playing With Chance - Chapter 20
Playing With Chance - Chapter 21
Playing With Chance - Chapter 22
Playing With Chance - Chapter 23
Playing With Chance - Chapter 24
Playing With Chance - Chapter 25
Playing With Chance - Chapter 26
Playing With Chance - Chapter 27
Playing With Chance - Chapter 28
Playing With Chance - Chapter 29
Playing With Chance - Chapter 30
Playing With Chance - Chapter 31
Playing With Chance - Epilogue

Playing With Chance - Chapter 6

3.3K 97 19
By AngelHidingHorns

Friday!  

Yay!  Elliot is coming today!  

For once I didn't mind the fact that he texted me in the morning before I was awake.

"I'm going to meet you at school, okay?  I don't think I will be able to get there in time for me to meet you at your house."

"That's fine.  I know that you need to take your time doing your hair."

"That is not why I will only get there in time for school to start."

"Oh yeah?  What's your excuse then?"

"I need to sleep, and you live about an hour away."

"It's not that far."

"Were you speeding last time you made the trip?"

"Not by much."

"I don't believe you.  I'm getting in the car now.  Since I go the speed limit, I should be there for your first period class."

"I'll meet you at the door."

"Thanks."

I put my phone away, and started to get ready for the day.

I walked into the school, and headed for the front office.

"Good morning," I said in my sweetest voice, "My friend's mom was planning on sending him to live at my house for the rest of the year, but he insisted that he be able to check out the school before, so he could make sure he would still have the challenging aspect to his classes.  Is there anyway that he could come to all my classes with me today?"

A little white lie never hurt anyone, right?

"Really?  Why is his mom going to send him here?" 

Nosey small town people.

"My mom is worried about leaving me at home alone all the time.  She's the new doctor in town, and isn't home much."

The trick to lying successfully is to mix in just enough of the truth that it's believable.

"Oh.  That's unfortunate.  Just have your friend sign in at the front desk when he shows up, and have him get a visitors pass."

I smiled at her, and said a quick, "Thank you," before turning around, and walking out to wait by the front doors.

"So?" I heard a familiar voice say from beside me, "Elliot's coming to live with you?"

I almost laughed at Prick's question, but I held it in, and looked at him with a smile playing across my features.

"Yeah!  Isn't it great?"

He got this sad look in his eyes that was almost genuine, "If you say so...."

I nodded my head really fast, "I do say so!  I can't wait!"

His expression turned thoughtful, but it didn't lose the sad look.

It made me feel like cracking up laughing, but the feeling passed when I saw a tall person with broad shoulders, and artfully mused hair step through the doors.

As soon as he saw me he held out his arms wide, and I grinned.

Running as fast as I could I jumped in his arms.

He spun me around once before putting me down, and looking at me with a smile.

"What's our cover story?" he asked with a mischievous look in his eyes, knowing I had to tell the office lady something to get her to let him go to my classes with me.

"Your mom wants to send you to live here, so I don't feel so lonely while mom's at work."

He nodded his head once, "Got it.  If anyone asks I'm checking out the school."

"Yes!"

"What have you been up to in my absence?" 

"Well," I said tapping my chin, "I've been worrying my mom, possibly you, and I've been annoying Prick.  I think that about covers it."

He shook his head at me in a mock display of disappointment, "I thought better of you.  You couldn't find two targets?"

I slumped my shoulders, and let my head fall, "I'm sorry.  Nobody else would talk to me after I chose my first one," straightening up I let a smile slip onto my face, "On the bright side, the whole school leaves me alone.  I think they're scared of me or something."

"I wonder why," he replied rolling his eyes.

Prick walked up then, and held out his hand to Elliot.

He looked slightly angry for some reason.  I don't know why.  Maybe it's just me.

Elliot took his hand, and inclined his head slightly in respect, "You must be the renowned Chance Valulfur."

Prick glared at Elliot for a second, but replied in a nice enough voice, "And you must be Elliot."

"Yes, I am," Elliot said ignoring the look he was getting from Prick, "And I would like to extend a formal invitation to the Varcolac's picnic this Sunday."

Prick looked suprised, but adapted a more formal air about him, "I would love to come.  Tell Blade I said thank you."

Elliot bowed his head slightly again.

"Picnic?  Can I come?" I said looking form Elliot to Prick and back again.

"Of course," Prick said looking at me, and smiling, "You can be my guest."

"Yay!" I shouted throwing my arms around Prick.

He hugged me back, but glared at Elliot while he did so.

I stepped back, and sent a glare of my own to Prick, "You really should be nicer to Elliot.  He never did anything to deserve your hard-headed reaction to him."

Looking down at me he let an apologetic look cross his face.

"Say you're sorry for being a dick."

He pouted at me for a second, but turned to look at Elliot, "I'm sorry for being a dick."

Elliot cracked up laughing, "It's okay.  I understand where you're coming from.  I don't hold it against you."

"You do?" Chance asked with disbelief.

"Of course," Elliot said, "You made it very obvious.  I respect your... feelings, and would like to say good luck."

I was confused.

What are they talking about?

"Prick?  What does he respect?" I asked with pleading eyes.

He just shook his head at me, "Not telling."

"Elliot?"

"Don't look at me.  It's something he's going to have to tell you."

I was going to protest their keeping me out of the loop more, but the first bell rang.

"We need to go get you checked in," I grumbled, sending them both dark looks.

Today was turning out to be strange, to say the least.

Chance still wasn't too comfortable with Elliot around, and seemed to be between us every chance he got.  

In math, he ended up sitting between us, and talked to Elliot most of the time.

I didn't really mind though.  The thing about people talking all through class is that the people sitting closest to them are bound to hear some of the conversation.

If I heard right, the topic of conversation was me. 

Elliot must have said something that made Chance happy, because Chance was slightly, and I repeat Slightly, less mean.

I was pulled from my musing by Chance scooting his chair out followed by Elliot on my other side.

"So, you're not going to leave me on the outside of your bromance any more?" I asked sending a pointed look to Prick.

He got the overly surprised look on his face that is usually associated with guilt, "Me?  I would never leave you out of something."

"Then are you going to tell me what you, and Elliot were talking about this morning?"

"Maybe that."

"How 'bout what you were talking about in math?"

"That may be another exception.  It relates to what we were talking about this morning."

"Hey, Elizabeth?  Weren't you saying something about forgetting your lunch today?" Elliot asked changing the subject.

I nodded despite the fact that me 'forgetting' my lunch was me being too lazy to go back to my locker.  It was Elliot's way of saying he wanted to talk to me.

Fortunately Prick didn't know that.

"Why didn't you say something?" Prick asked.

"I didn't find it important?"

"You should find it important.  Remember what happened last time you skipped lunch?" Elliot said trying to convince Prick to go get me food.

"I said I was sorry!" I protested, keeping up the act.

"After the kid was unconscious."

"That's irrelevant.  I still said I was sorry."

"What happened?" Prick asked looking at me with his eyebrows scrunched together, and leaning back slightly.

"Just some incident with some kid that accidental ran into her.  Don't worry about it.  I'm sure she won't get that bad."

"Ya know?  I think I'll go get you something.  Do you like pizza ?"

Looking at the line I noticed that it was slightly shorter then the rest of them.

"Nah, too grease.  I'm a bigger fan of sandwiches.  You've seen what I bring to lunch everyday."

He nodded his head, and stood up, "I'll be back in a few minutes."

 Once he was out of hearing range I opened my mouth to talk to Elliot.

He held up one hand, signaling me to stay quiet for a little longer.

When he put it down he looked at me, and grinned, "He really is hot, isn't he?"

I sighed, and let my tongue hang out just a little in a mock display of drooling, "Amazingly."

"You just gotta love those beautiful green eyes, and his butt is Nice," he said putting emphasis on the word nice.

This is why I like having a gay best friend.  You can talk guys with them, but they aren't wimps, or bitches.  It's wonderful.

"I'm a big fan of his hair.  The black is just gorgeous.  It goes well with his eyes, which we both agree are beautiful."

"Too bad....." Elliot said with a sigh.

"Only for girls all over the world," I said with a smirk.

"Don't tell me you don't like him," Elliot said with disbelief.

"It's not that.  I just have issues with his, 'mighter then thou,' attitude.  It annoys me."

A few minutes passed with both of us just staring at Chance's backside.

Then I remembered that Elliot had a bromance with Prick, "Hey, Elliot?  What did you tell him in math that made him slightly less grumpy with you?"

"Ask Chance."

"But he won't tell me!" I complained.

"And I'm leaving that choice up to him."

"You suck," I said folding my arms across my chest.

It stayed like that until Prick came back with food.

I would have held it longer, but I really was hungry, and my mom always taught me to be nice to people who put food in front of me.

So, I thanked Prick, and told him he did a good job.  I even tried to pay for it.  He wouldn't let me, and I wasn't going to complain, but I did try.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61 0 13
A girl who craved rain is more of a metaphor she didn't really crave rain, she craved someone to love her, to hold her when she's crying and to yell...
119K 5.4K 27
One's Bait. And the other could go to Jail after taking the Bait. Jail Bait.
197K 6K 23
He won't let me go because he needs me? Why does he need me? I'm not special. I'm the quiet reader that stays by herself in school. Nobody needs me b...
267 5 1
I did not write this it is just another copy of The Forest Fic. If you're easily triggered DO NOT read this. If you do read this, have your tissues...