Porcelain Heart

By Breations

**MLP fanfiction** Solstice Love. A beautiful pony everyone looks at with a sort of wanting admiration. She... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter 9

16 3 1
By Breations

He just gapes at her as if she'd revealed the biggest lie in his life. She watches him as it sinks in, but she can't help but stare at his cutie mark. She loves it. He hates it. He walks up to her. "How positive of this are you?"

She takes a deep breath. "Almost certain."

He sighs, still staring at her. He's silent for a moment. "We never finished our previous conversation..." he murmurs.

She smiles at him.

"I liked it," he says. "And I want to do it again."

She grins, and he tugs her to him, kissing her. She kisses him back. He pulls away, refusing to look at her. "What is it?" She whispers, afraid she's said something wrong.

He turns back to her, his eyes are wet. She gently wipes away his tears. "What if she wins? What will she do to you if she finds out?"

She smiles weakly. "I guess we'll have to figure that out, when the time comes."

"But... she could..."

She silences him with a gentle small kiss. "I'll be fine," she assures.

He smiles half-heartedly, and says, "I should let you get to sleep. Goodnight," he leaves he room. She sighs and heads to bed. She falls asleep easily, dreams of him consuming her.

~•~•~•~•~

He tosses and turns, unable to sleep. He's stuck on the fact that she could have died. He finds himself going to his rooms, and sitting silently in a chair watching her all night. His heart thumps, warm with his love for her.

~•~•~•~•~

Her eyes slowly flutter open, and she doesn't jerk under the covers or anything. She just smiles at him. He wanders over, brushing a hair from her face. She blinks, feeling only love and happiness. She had the loveliest of dreams. All about him. And her. Living happily ever after. She sighs, smile fading, as the realization hits that for them, there's no such thing.

"Were you here all night?" She asks.

He nods silently, playing with a piece of her hair.

She scoots closer, breathing in his musky smell. She smiles.

"There's going to be a ball," he says. "I ordered it in yesterday's meeting. I wanted something to hold to if I'm locked away. I guess I won't remember it if she-"

"Don't say it," she pleads.

His eyes soften. "I won't. But I'd like you to be near me. Obviously, you can't go with me, or the stallions will want to kill you." They share a grin.

"I'd love to kind-of-go-to-a-ball-with-you-from-a-distance." She laughs.

He smiles at her. "Next week. The week after that... I'll be around less from preparing for," he swallows, "war."

She sits up and leans into him, his breathing speeds. "It's okay. I'll be here, right beside you."

He doesn't reply, just flexes his jaw against her scalp. She wonders what he's thinking.

They sit in silence for the whole day, undisturbed.

~•~•~•~•~

Nothing happens over the next week. Ball preparations start, and Solstice spends some of her time while Sombra is at a meeting watching the slaves excitedly prep themselves. They're given showers, and tailored. They are required to remove any paint from their flanks for the whole week. She smiles at all the marks there actually is.

A tailor comes in. "Ready, Miss?"

She smiles. "Work your magic."

The tailor grins at her, and takes measurements. He leaves not too long after. She waits, and soon the dress is delivered, along with a hairdresser. She puts on the silky, gorgeous dress.

The hairdresser curls her hair loosely, falling into loose curls to the side. She smiles. This should catch Sombra's eye.

An hour left, then another half hour until she enters.

She waits.

~•~•~•~•~

Finally, it's time for the ball to start. Sombra walks down the stairs grandly, and his subjects, all here-almost- cheer. He has a smile play at his lips.

He reaches his throne and says grandly, "may the festivities begin."

He sits, and scans the mass of ponies. No sign of her. There's a flash of sparkles at the entrance, and all eyes turn, the music changes. It's... her. She looks stunning. She glides down the steps, and gets some gapes. He hears murmurs and whispers. "I thought she was dead." "Wow." "Who is that?" "Is that... Solstice?"

He hides his smirk with a great effort. She disappears into the mass, headed to him, and everyone resumes their festivities. Sombra waits not-so-patiently.

A tall dark purple mare steps in the way of his view of her. "Majesty," she says in her snippy "I'm better than everyone" kind of voice.

He forces a smile. "I'm afraid I forgot your name."

"Flair. Flair Flower."

He notes the fire colored flower on her flank, she doesn't notice and rambles on about herself, practically on the throne herself now. He tries to look around her for Solstice, but Fancy Flair is in the way.

He sighs and pays attention to her, and she backs off a bit now. She leans closer, inches from his muzzle, and he refuses to show any reaction to his. He can't focus on her words though. He has to get this mare out of here. Now.

He sends a simple control into her, and then just freezes her at the sight behind her. Solstice stands on the stairs leading to his throne. She just stares. Their eyes meet, and her eyes tell him everything. Hurt, anger, regret. She quickly turns away, disappearing into the crowd. He shoves the mare into the crowd, wanting to never see her again. He stands, and makes his way into the crowd. He strains to look above the ponies, and sees her go up the stairs without a hesitation. He pushes to follow.

~•~•~•~•~

She fights tears as she reaches the hallway. She knows it's childish of her, but she really thought she had something. Apparently it was a one-sided feeling. She feels someone follow her, but a ways away. She slows, and finds herself leaning against the wall. He kissed her, goodness sake. The tears fall faster, and the pony following her stops in front of her. She doesn't acknowledge them. Sombra, she just knows.

"Solstice...?" He says quietly, gently.

She turns away. "Please, Sombra," she whispers. "I'm sorry. For all of it. Everything."

He's silent. Then: "can I explain? Please?" He sounds quiet, distant.

She opens her eyes, then looks around. "Not here. Somewhere that isn't public."

He just looks at her. She just walks ahead, he follows her. She shuts the door to his rooms once he's in. She turns to him. "How could you?"

He won't look at her.

"Who even was she? Do you even know her name?"

"Flair Flower," he says hastily.

She fumes. "Why?" She whispers, tears still falling. "What did I do?"

"Solstice, what's wrong? Do you think I'd really just kiss a random mare that appears in front of me, just wanting an even higher status? Why do you care?"

She takes a shaky breath. "You didn't know her?"

"No, Solstice. I don't tend to socialize with mares."

She just stares at him.

"I don't, I promise. I used my magic to move her, she was a high-society type. Please. I'm sorry. Please don't be. For anything."

She hesitates, then walks to him, crying into his shoulder. He kisses her hair. "I'm not sorry," she murmurs. "I love you," she says quietly.

He doesn't say anything.

She pulls back from him, and looks at him, eyes unreadable.

He sighs, turning away. "I can't. I can't say it." He looks over his shoulder at her. "Do you understand? I'm going to war in about two weeks. If something happens to me, or even you... I can't say it."

She steps up to him. She kisses him. He kisses back. She pulls away. "Then don't say it. I don't want to know. I wanted you to. I thought... it may help somehow. I mean," she turns away, "I thought if you won, you'd know. And if you... didn't, I'd want you to have something to cling to."

He pulls her to him, kissing her like she's the only mare in the world.

~•~•~•~•~

A while later, he makes her return to the ball with him, but through a side hall. Nobody seems in panic that he's gone, which relieves him. He holds out a hoof to her. "May I?"

She smiles. "You may."

They dance as if nobody is watching. They glide across the floor with ease, ignoring all other ponies. The song ends, and she finds her way to food, he finds his throne.

They don't see each other at all the rest of the night, but their time in his room was good enough for both of them.

~•~•~•~•~

She gets to the room before him, and falls asleep quickly.

~•~•~•~•~

He finally goes to his rooms, exhaustion weighing him down. He sees her asleep, and goes to the bed. Her eyes flutter open. She smiles. "May I?" He asks.

She grins at him, moving over. "You may."

He slides in. She curls up beside him, and is asleep soon thereafter. He matches his breathing with hers, and falls asleep with her in his arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 39 24
It had been sometime ever since Sombra's temporary return in the Crystal Empire and now he is back again to take over all of Equestria. Twilight Spar...
16.5K 254 21
King Sombra has returned after he tried to rule the Crystal Empire after a 1000 years ,but this time he has a plan. Will he's plan work or end into a...
36.7K 726 20
King Sombra is back. After taking over his kingdom, he decides to take revenge on the ones that defeated him. Once he arrives in Ponyville, he sees...
28.4K 349 11
A new student transfers to Canterlot Highschool. As he arrives a lot of strange things start to happen. Now he and a few new "friends" are about to h...