Whispers In The Dark | Naruto

By kugoui

❝ She was born in the darkness, ❞ Akita harbors a blackness in her heart, a slow and festering disease. She... More

『Before you read』
ː̗̀⠀Playlist⠀ː̖́
【 ARC i - Awakening 】
› 00
› 01
› 02
› 04
› 05
› 06
› 07
› 08
› 09
› 10
› 11
› 12
【 ARC ii - Lacuna 】
≫ 13
≫ 14
≫ 15
≫ 16
≫ 17

› 03

4.6K 287 100
By kugoui

Akita loved the outdoors, especially at night. Why? It was because the stars were visible at night. She liked the way they twinkled and danced in the darkness, way above her head, just out of reach. She also liked the creatures that came out. Like owls, mice, wolves, etc. They all fascinated her.

Why do they only come out at night, she would ask herself. She didn't want to ask Sparrow because she knew he would give her some boring scientific answer. That's not what she was looking for! She wanted to know why, like asking 'what's the meaning of life?'

Is it because they want to come out at night, or was it in their DNA to be nocturnal—like her. At first, Sparrow had been concerned with her nocturnal side, but after learning that she seemed to be more relaxed and happy, he accepted the fact. He wanted her to be able to have an escape from all the negativity she received on a daily basis.

The young girl crossed her legs and haphazardly balanced upon the wooden branch she had taken momentary refuge. It was her favorite spot because no one ever came into the forests at night. She could be herself. A contented smile graced her lips as she outstretched her arm to the sky. Oh how she wanted to touch a star! Akita wondered what they were like. Were they hot? Were they cold? Were they all the same, or were they different? Did the other stars bully the different looking stars like the people in the village bullied her?

A rustle down below snapped her out of her thoughts as she sprung to her feet and crouched low, hands gripping the branch like a cat's claws. Her stance was almost feral. 

The rustling continued, as if someone were angrily shoving branches out of the way. They were, in fact shoving branches and muttering under their breath. Something about not being allowed to learn a jutsu or another. They couldn't sense Akita, it was obvious, because they stopped just below her tree. She could see as clear as day that it was a boy, but her head tilted in curiosity. His hair was silver! How was that possible? In all her time in the village she'd never seen anyone with silver hair. Just the boring brown, black and blonde. 

She wanted to get a closer look. Akita carefully maneuvered through the leaves so that she could study him. He stood with arms crossed and eyes cast angrily to the ground. The boy picked up a stick and snapped it into tiny pieces, throwing them into the air with a sigh. It was then that he spotted something odd in the trees. He quickly secured a kunai when his eyes locked with a pair of glowing cat-like ones, the color of molten gold. Without a second thought, he threw the weapon in her direction, causing her to leap down in order to avoid getting hit. Although she was tiny, so her legs buckled underneath her and she scraped her hands on the rocks littering the ground. 

"Who are you?" The boy questioned, arms set out defensively. Akita didn't reply, which aggravated him. She merely stood up and brushed herself off. A soft breeze danced by, ruffling hair and prickled skin. The boy narrowed his eyes as her strange eyes met his once more, still holding the same curiosity as before. "Who are you?" He asked again, patience growing thin. Akita tilted her head. It was no use talking to him, he probably wouldn't know how to use sign language. 

Akita took a step forward suddenly. He took a step back. He felt an uneasiness around her, as if she were going to pounce at any moment. "Are you going to answer my question?" 

Akita shook her head and pointed her her throat, shaking her head again in order to get the message across. The boy immediately understood. "You're mute." he stated. The black haired girl nodded then pointed to his hair. His brows furrowed, what was she doing? "What about it?" 

Her clawed hand reached out to touch it, but the boy leaned back. He didn't want some stranger touching him. Especially this girl...she was weird. "Tch. If you aren't going to answer my questions I'm leaving. There's no use talking to you." He droned. Akita flinched, hurt by his careless words. No use talking to me...? she thought sadly to herself. Akita didn't do anything to stop the boy from leaving. If he didn't want to talk to her...she didn't need to talk. 

She hated the tight feeling in her chest. Why did it hurt so much? It wasn't anything new to her. The kids in the village already had her accustomed to such insults. Was it because he was new? Did she hope that maybe...he wouldn't hate her like everyone else? The black haired girl cast her eyes down, fumbling with the hem of her shirt. She should go home now, it was almost dawn. She would be starting school at the academy the next day.

By the time the sun rose the next morning, Akita had long been asleep. In fact, she was so asleep that Sparrow had to come in and dump a bucket of cold water over her head to wake the young girl up. A wild look of surprise overtook her face as she bolted up and off the bed. "You're going to be late, and you know I'm not going to allow your first day to be a tardy. Who knows how that'll impact your school life." Sparrow said. The black haired girl scowled but nonetheless got ready accordingly. 

Her outfit consisted of an oversized black hoodie, black shorts and light grey ninja sandals. Around her neck was a bright red scarf (also oversized) that nearly swallowed her head into its soft fabric. It was special to her because Sparrow made it. She didn't know why he did though, she just knew it was warm and offered comfort to her nerves. Akita didn't like over thinking things.

Sparrow waited for her at the door, anbu mask securely on his face. Even though it was odd, Akita understood that he was not to be identified as an associate of hers until directed. He had explained it a long time ago. That's what she liked about him—he never lied or kept secrets from her. Akita appreciated honesty above everything else. 

Sparrow ruffled her hair with his gloved hand lovingly before ushering her out the door. They had about five minutes before classes started. Thanks to Sparrow's jutsu, though, they made it in less than a second. The courtyard was full of children and families. Anxiety swirled and knotted her stomach as her unique eyes scanned the crowd. Were all those kids going to be in her class? A lot of them had bullied her before...

A hush fell over the crowd as Akita and her ANBU father walked into the clearing. Quiet whispers flitted through parted lips, spreading like a wildfire.

"Who's that?"

"Why is she being escorted by an ANBU?"

"She must be dangerous..."

"I can't let my kid go to school with someone who looks like that!"

As she continued on, it only got worse but she did her best to ignore them, despite how enhanced her hearing was. Her head stayed bowed as she was guided to her classroom where she would be meeting the teacher and her situation explained. 

Most of the class was already inside waiting impatiently for their first lesson as ninja to begin. None of them noticed her as she walked in—except for one person. 

"Ah, welcome anbu-san. This must be Akita." The sensei greeted, giving her a kind smile. A look of confusion overtook her face as she stared at him. Why was he being so kind? It was...weird. Sparrow nodded and took a step forward to exchange a few private words with the teacher before leaving her. 

"My name is Ando Hajime, or Ando-sensei. Welcome to the class, Akita. I'm sure you'll fit right in." he said. The girl nodded and turned to the class, eyes searching for an empty seat. It seemed like everything was taken, except for a seat by a boy with odd orange goggles. Akita made her way to the bench, careful not to let anyone become aware of her presence until needed. The boy was off somewhere in his own world, a string of saliva hanging from the corner of his mouth. Should she speak to him? The thought barely crossed her mind before she shot it down. There was no use...he probably didn't know sign language either. 

Maybe she could write down what she wanted to say?

It took a bit, but she finally mustered up enough courage to tap him on the shoulder and bring him back to reality. He snorted and wiped his mouth before his eyes finally wandered to meet hers. For a moment, his eyes widened. Fear creeped in her mind, was he going to hate her too? Her fear was dispelled with his next words.

"Whoa, you're eyes are cool!" 

Akita blinked in surprise. 

My eyes are pretty? 

The boy quickly realized what he had said and proceeded to scratch the back of his head with an embarrassed grin. "Hehe, sorry. I blurt thing out without thinking. Name's Obito, Uchiha Obito. Pleasure to meet ya." He extended a hand to her, grinning from ear to ear. Akita couldn't figure him out. 

Pointing to her throat and shaking her head, she told him she couldn't speak. Obito seemed confused for a moment before the realization dawned on him. "Oh! You don't speak?" He asked, just in case. She nodded. "That's alright. I speak plenty. Can you write stuff down?" The yellow eyed girl grabbed a pencil and a sheet of paper before replying, My name is Akita. Her handwriting was neat and legible, much to her satisfaction. Obito grinned again, "Nice to meet you Akita! I hope we can be friends...I don't have many of those." 

Friends? Akita wasn't very well acquainted with the term. Nonetheless she nodded, her own smile taking over her face although it was close-lipped. She didn't want him seeing her fangs. Do you know sign language?  She asked."Yeah. My grandma lost her hearing before I was born so she taught me. I guess it'll be easier to talk to you if I understood what you were saying huh? We could talk in class and Ando-sensei wouldn't understand." He suggested, chuckling lowly as if he were someone sinister. 

"I wouldn't understand what, Obito?" A voice sounded behind him. An image of thunder flashed before her eyes as she watched the boy freeze and slowly turn. "N-nothing Ando-sensei! I didn't say anything!" 

Akita couldn't help but hide a soundless chuckle behind her hand as she watched the exchange. A positive feeling hummed throughout her body as she sat in class, listening to everything Ando-sensei instructed. Akita was very interested in the ninja arts ever since she could remember. Partially because of Sparrow, because she wanted to be like him when she grew up. He was strong and fast. He was honest and hard working. Akita wanted to be like that because maybe then people would respect her and look up to her.

She didn't want to live her life labeled as the outcast and the demon. She wanted to be a hero! 

After a while her attention began to drift. Her piercing yellow gaze dancing across every face in the room. They were the people she would grow with for the next seven years. They were the people she was going to entrust her life to at some point. Would they trust her? Could she trust them? The answer was unclear. Why was everything so unclear?

Her gaze continued around the room in boredom. Her heart dropped as soon as she spotted a familiar figure towards the top row. Why was he here? Why in her class? Anger boiled her blood as she narrowed her eyes at him. Seeming to feel that burning look, the masked boy shifted his coal black hues to meet hers. He sent and icy glare back. The boy from the forest, the previous day, was in her class. 

She really didn't like him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 62 22
What is a Shinobi? Misaki often finds herself questioning that. From a small village, she had no choice but to become a ninja. Her leader needed her...
384K 11.9K 31
The bandages that covered his face in life have fallen away, all incinerated and hanging loosely around his neck. His face is completely destroyed. U...
6.1K 139 19
As an Uchiha your whole existence has practically been a curse, you're parents died shortly after you're birth, leaving you in the hands of the Third...
312K 12.3K 45
* THIS IS A COPYRIGHTED STORY OF MINE, MIDNIGHT_LILAC, PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF YOU FIND IT ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE, IT HAS BEEN COPIED/REPUBLISHED WITH...