Finding Grace: The Guardian C...

By feydoc

Highest rank Vampire #1. Evan Whitman is a emergency trauma physician with a special gift. She has the abili... More

title page
Prologue
Chapter 1. Help*
Chapter 2. Why?*
Chapter 3. To Save a Life*
Chapter 4. Run*
Chapter 5. My Ride Home*
Chapter 6. It Might Kill Me*
Chapter 7. Haunted*
Chapter 8. Inner Demons*
Chapter 9. Lingering Echoes*
Chapter 10. Little Details*
Chapter 11. Friends?*
Chapter 12. Damned All Around*
Chapter 13. Just A Girl*
Chapter 14. I Will Fix You*
Chapter 15. Leave Your Baggage at the Door*
Chapter 16. Heaven Forbid*
Chapter 17. Gone*
Chapter 18. Blood On My Hands*
Chapter 19. Truth and Consequences*
Chapter 20. Innocence*
Chapter 21. Answers*
Chapter 22. Inner Turmoil*
Chapter 23. In the Name of Science*
Chapter 24. On Fire*
Chapter 25. Family Ties*
Chapter 26. The Truth is Hard to Swallow*
Chapter 27. Unexpected News*
Chapter 28. Tensions Rising*
Chapter 29. In the Afternoon*
Chapter 30. Trouble*
Chapter 31. Uninvited*
Chapter 32. Guardian Angel*
Chapter 33. Broken*
Chapter 34. PRN*
Chapter 35. Gives You Hell*
Chapter 36. Little Secrets*
Chapter 37. She Is...*
Chapter 38. With Teeth*
Chapter 39. Discovery*
Chapter 40. Welcome Home*
Chapter 41. Bring the Rain*
Chapter 42. Karma*
Chapter 43. Irresponsible*
Chapter 44. Never Alone
Chapter 45. Hurt*
Chapter 46. Chasing Zebras* (medical folks will understand zebras :)
Chapter 47. Sigh No More*
Chapter 48. Big News*
Chapter 49. Shelter You*
Chapter 49.5
Chapter 50. Home*
Chapter 51. Meet the Family*
Chapter 52. Responsibility*
Chapter 53. Miraculous*
Chapter 54. New Developments*
Chapter 55.1
Chapter 55. Xavier*
Chapter 57. Me*
Chapter 58. Undisclosed Desires*
Chapter 59. Best Laid Plans*
Chapter 60. Intuition*
Chapter 61. Found Out*
Chapter 62. Sleepyhead*
Chapter 63. Help Me*
Chapter 64. Karma*
Chapter 65. Breathe*
Chapter 66. Escape*
Chapter 67. Labor*
Chapter 68. It Ends Tonight*
Chapter 69. Hello Daddy*
Chapter 70. All I Wanted*
Chapter 71. Hybrid*
Chapter 72. Mine*
Epilogue
Saving Grace: The Guardian Chronicles Book Two
Playlist for the inspiration for The Guardian
Synopsis
supplemental material
Chapter 2.
Hi! Here's some flowers for you

Chapter 56. You and I*

31.1K 523 20
By feydoc

Chapter 56. You and I by Michael Bublé

My suggestions to Evan on her gifts could not have gone worse. Frustrated with myself for not being able to explain it better, and with her for not hearing me out, I sat back and watched as Jean and Nathan leaned over the couch and each of them kissed her on a cheek. She smiled sweetly and patted each one on the face. Those simple actions told me that she was okay with contact from those two.

"What all did you find out shopping?" Evan asked, sending a teasing wink my way. Would I ever understand her?

"We've already stowed our finds in our quarters, figured we'd give you a fashion show tomorrow," Hannah piped up as she settled herself neatly next to Evan on the black leather couch. Looking to Evan, she asked, "Do you need anything? Or is everything you need here?"

"Well, I don't really know. I have a few things here, but I don't know exactly. I have been a little preoccupied the last few days," Evan said with a small laugh. "Emil, did you bring more of my things here, after..."

Knowing she meant after her attack, I spoke up, not wanting her to have to say it, "I only grabbed a few things. I wanted to talk to you about that. I have something special planned for tonight, and I wanted to see what you thought about gathering anything special you want from the house. You don't have to make any decisions about the house yet, that can wait if it bothers you."

Evan sat silently staring out the windows for a while. When she spoke, her voice was haunted, "I don't know that I want to go in there. I'm sure it hasn't been cleaned up."

"It's okay if you don't want to. You could tell me what you need and I could get it for you, if you'd rather," I replied softly.

Evan looked at me and I saw a small, scared child where a confident woman had been a moment ago. I went to her then knelt in front of her. Taking her face between my hands I told her, "There is no reason you have to go inside, love. I will do it for you."

"I don't really have any keepsakes, Emil, except for the picture of my Grandmother on the mantel, and my family Bible. I guess I just need my clothes. Do you want your things? I want the quilt from your bed. Maybe I need to face things and just get it over with? I could always leave if I couldn't take it," she said, seeking my approval of her decision.

"Whatever you think is best for you. I will be right there with you," I said, planting a kiss on her forehead, letting the tingle of energy flow through my lips for just a moment.

Standing, I looked to my friend Tourneau. "Jean, will you join me in my office? I have a few things I'd like to discuss with you and then we can go ahead with our plans."

I was getting excited. Planning the raid on the club was not all we had discussed this afternoon and everyone except Nathan and Evan were in on the surprise. I did not miss the curious glance that passed between Nathan and Evan, nor did I miss the concentrated efforts of the others in the room not to let on that they knew something was afoot, each of them conspicuously preoccupied with something else besides looking at either of them.

I walked to my office, expecting Jean to follow. When he closed the door behind him, he strode over and clapped me on the shoulder. I could see pride and love in his eyes.

"You're going to do it tonight then? Have you given Evan any hints?" he asked, grinning widely.

"Tonight's the night. I haven't mentioned anything until just now. She doesn't know anything. I hope she won't mind," I answered, almost as giddy as if I were a young man again. "I have something serious I need to talk to you about though. Evan had a very bad episode of pain while you were gone. She recovered and is fine now, but it took her off her feet it was so bad. She is downplaying it, of course, but I am afraid the baby is going to hurt her even more. She is growing so quickly."

"Emil, Emil," my friend said comfortingly, "This is new territory for all of us. We just have to be vigilant and be prepared to do what we must to help her if the time comes. Do you need anything else for tonight?"

"I have everything set up, but I want to make sure Evan feeds tonight, she needs to be satisfied. Then we are going to go to my old house...her house, and get some things for her. I want to have a guard with us, so maybe you, Hawk, Xavier? The rest can come back here and then take turn at sentry," I said.

"We can all go, it will be like a housewarming. When do we leave?" Jean asked with a gleam in his eye.

"As soon as we can. Is there anything else that needs to be taken care of here?" I asked, hoping I was not in for as big a surprise as Evan was at the ornery glint I saw in Jean's eyes.

"All is well here. Gather your bride and we'll be ready to escort you," Jean said, laughing as he went out the door.

Evan went along with what I said about her needing to feed prior to the next few days' events. She could have asked for me to provide, and I would have, as I realized I found it rather pleasurable, but she did not. I needed to feed as well, in preparation for the potential trouble we would face tomorrow, so I didn't offer. After choosing to be alone for so long, I was surprised at how much I was enjoying being part of a group. Though I had known the other Guardians for some time, I had never cared to interact outside of required gatherings.

As I watched the group gather in preparation of leaving, I noticed the good-natured teasing that Xavier gave Hannah over her flirting with Hawk, how Aiden was showing Nathan one of his favorite weapons, Tourneau and Hawk in the kitchen leaning against the counters deep in conversation. Malachi was standing next to Evan and I, silently observing the others as well.

"I will make sure to keep watch while you and Evan hunt, sir. I will be sure you have ample time," Malachi vowed.

"Thanks, Mal. I'm going to have Jean accompany us. He has a way with people, you know," I said, trying to remind Malachi of Tourneau's ability to lull humans into a more complacent state. I figured anything to make Evan's feeding safer would be best.

"That is an excellent idea. I'll just be sure you are not bothered," he answered. I could not ask for better soldiers.

Smiling, I nodded my acknowledgement. Leaning toward Evan, I asked, "Are you ready to be on our way?"

Evan nodded silently, allowing me to see her nervousness at what would come next. Leading the way, we took to the roofs, as I wanted to avoid unwanted attention. It was getting later, which meant our enemies would likely be out, doing their own hunting. Leaping from rooftop to rooftop, we crossed the city, heading to the darkest part of downtown. It was not far from Benton Park and Evan's home, so we would be able to manage both tasks in relatively short time.

We had decided to find strong prey tonight, as it was only Evan and I who needed sustenance. The others had already fed well, so they were here as protection and distraction. Entering Tower Grove Park, we gathered in one of the grand stands and milled about as if we were simply a group of friends passing the time. It was not a hard act to pull off, as Aiden, Nathan and Xavier began throwing around a football that we had stumbled across on our walk into the park. Nathan was laughing and seemed to be having a good time. I held Evan against the front of me, as she said that she felt cold. Playing the part, we all wore jackets in order to blend in, but I had wrapped mine over Evan's shoulders to give her that much more warmth. It concerned me slightly, as vampires became insensitive to the cold. Nathan did not seem to notice it, so I concluded it was not likely due to her newly changed state. Most likely it was something more to do with the part human baby she carried.

Malachi's signal that humans had entered the park on a late-night walk whistled in the night. Tourneau, Hannah and Hawk walked out to mill on the sidewalk watching the dimly lit game of catch. I heard two sets of footsteps coming at a quick pace; runners out for a jog. Pulling Evan along with me, I led her down to stand in the shadow between the old-fashioned street lamps that did little to light the path. As the humans drew nearer, I watched Tourneau smoothly call to them, causing the man and woman to stop and listen. True to his ability, Tourneau had entranced them effortlessly, and led them to where Evan and I stood.

Evan looked to me for direction and I softly encouraged her to feed from the woman. I watched again in awe as Evan gently bent to the woman's neck. I had not taught her that. She had been that way from the beginning.

"Remember to take just enough, love. She will still need to get home tonight," I reminded her just before I set to making short work of my meal. There was nothing like clean healthy human blood, so unlike my usual fare of the dregs of society. When we each had taken enough, we arranged the two humans on a park bench, seated close together for warmth. They would wake up once Tourneau released them from his entrancement, a little dizzy and lightheaded, but otherwise none the worse for wear.

Our small group gathered again and as we walked north through the park, I could not contain my excitement any longer. I turned to Evan and asked her, "Evan, are you ready to get your things?"

"Yes, but we didn't bring a car, so how are we going to get what I want back home?" she asked me. She had said 'home'. I did not think that I could feel fuller inside, but her words pushed me closer to bursting with happiness.

"We have one more stop before we go to Benton Park. Then we will all be able to carry a little something. If there is any furniture you want to move out for now, we can come back with a truck and get it later. You just need to tell me what you want," I said, amused by the slightly confused wrinkle on her brow.

"Where are we going? I thought we would need to do the whole 'get in, get out' thing. I thought it was dangerous to be out right now," she stated, keeping step with me, but watching my face intently. "What's up, Emil?"

I could no longer contain my smile, and began laughing as she became more suspicious. Nathan was still in the dark about what was coming up, but everyone else was now laughing or whispering to each other.

"You'll see," I replied, pulling Evan under my arm and hurrying along. Saint Louis was a beautiful city, and was even more so at night. The streetlights reflected off amazing stone and brick architecture of the late 19th century buildings. Crossing the street with the light, we come to a stop in front of one of the beautiful stone cathedrals that graced the city, beautiful enough to rival the great cathedrals of Europe. Hannah and Tourneau led the way up the short flight of stone steps and held open the doors.

"What are we doing, Emil?" Evan asked more suspiciously.

"I told you, you'll see," I said patiently, leading her by the hand through the tall wooden doors, through the vestibule and into the sanctuary. When I turned my focus from Evan's lovely face, I was taken aback, overwhelmed by the sight that met my eyes. I had made arrangements with Reverend Williams, but I had not expected this.

The sanctuary had been draped in white flowers of all sorts with beautiful greenery threaded through. Candles had been lit and lined the aisle to the front where more flowers and candles had been placed in front of billowy white material that had been draped over the altar. All the decoration tastefully set off the natural beauty of the soaring wood timbers in the ceiling; the stained glass lit from the outside, revealing its beauty; and the stone walls covered with artful tapestries of the upcoming Easter season.

"What's going on, Emil?" Evan said quietly, having drawn up close to my side. "It looks like we crashed somebody's wedding."

"Think Evan," Hannah interjected. She was almost glowing she seemed so excited. "It's yours. What did I tell you about your mate? He is a legend among vampires."

Evan's jaw dropped open and I decided I would cherish the wondrous look in her eyes forever. She whispered, "Really?"

"Yes, but I think I had a little help," I answered as I looked to those that were fast becoming friends, and to the one friend I'd had for decades. "Did you do this, Jean?"

He bowed elegantly, and replied, "I will admit it was my idea to make your special day more festive, but I must give credit to Hannah and, believe it or not, Malachi."

I glanced from one to the other. I could believe Hannah, as she had revealed elegance and bubbliness she had not been able to show before. Malachi was standing tall and met my eye levelly. He said, "I was most pleased to hear that you wanted to enter into the sanctity of marriage. Our kind rarely feels the need to recognize such conventions. What can I say? I've always been a romantic at heart, and thought I might never get the opportunity to witness vampire nuptials again."

"Thank you," I said softly to those around me. Though Evan and I had talked about marrying, I realized I had not properly asked her. I dropped to one knee before her, took her left hand in mine and gazed into her wide eyes. "Evan, will you do me the honor of sharing eternity with me?"

She acted as if no words would form so she nodded her head and squeezed my hand.

Looking around, I noticed that Nathan stood uncertainly at the edge of the sanctuary. "Nathan, will you be my best man?"

"Me? What about Jean? Wait, you're getting married today?" the boy stuttered, looking a bit confused.

"No time like the present," I answered, pulling Evan toward the front of the beautiful chapel. "And I thought that, while it is unconventional, since we don't really have any laws about adoption, that Reverend Williams could hold a dedication ceremony of sorts, where Evan and I commit to raise you with our beliefs and to the best of our abilities. What do you think? Would that be okay with you? I know you're not a baby, and you can say no if you want, but we'd be honored to be your parents."

Nathan was having difficulty holding in his emotions and I could tell it took some effort for him to answer, but he managed to say, "I think that would be good."

Spotting the Reverend waiting quietly in the doorway, I lifted my hand in greeting. I could tell he was a little nervous. He was one of the few other humans who had more than an idea of what I was. I'd frequented this particular church when I felt more lost, and throughout the years, the ministry had been welcoming, allowing me to infiltrate their flock. Not all of the church leaders had been around long enough to get more than a passing suspicion that I was more than human. Reverend Williams had been at this parish for almost thirty-five years, and about ten years ago, he and I had a rare heart to heart talk after Tourneau disappeared. He thought that I still had a soul. He was the reason I was still fighting to redeem myself.

Most of my visits were after hours, so as not to mingle with the humans too much. I could only imagine what went through his mind yesterday when I told him that I needed his assistance for a wedding. We had agreed that since human laws did not particularly apply to our circumstances, this would be a wedding before God, not needing a license.

"Reverend! Please come in. These are my...friends," I said, wanting to put the older man at ease. "I want to introduce you to my bride!"

The Reverend walked resolutely forward, nodding to the vampires surrounding him. My friends all stood back and gave him plenty of space. I thought he might feel something like Daniel, trapped in the lion's den. He came to stand in front of Evan and I. I reached out and shook his hand eagerly.

"Emil, glad to see you, and although I'm surprised, I could not be happier for the circumstances," he replied, patting the back of my hand affectionately. Turning to Evan, he said, "I understand you are the young lady who has finally caught Emil's eye. He is a fine man, as I'm sure you've discovered. I'm honored to be able to be part of this."

Evan smiled demurely and said, "Nice to meet you, Reverend. Completely unexpected on my part."

"Reverend, this is Nathan, the boy I also spoke to you about. His name is Nathan Clark. He has agreed, so we will also go ahead with the dedication," I said, pulling Nathan closer to us. The boy stood carefully regarding the minister.

I was not prepared for the reaction of Reverend Williams. He paled and stumbled backwards, finding a pew to sit in. "I...I...I buried you, Nathan. You're dead. I presided over your funeral."

There was no way I could have prepared for this. Glancing between the boy and the minister, I gathered that they knew each other.

"Nathan, why didn't you say anything about knowing this church when we came in?" I asked gently, trying not to let my irritation show.

"I didn't know why we were here. I didn't know where my parents had the funeral. I couldn't help it," he answered, letting some of his adolescent defensiveness shine.

Wanting to smooth things over so that the evening could move forward, I moved to stand in front of Reverend Williams and said, "I'm sorry for such a shock. Had I known you would recognize the boy, I would have given you some warning. I just hadn't thought of the possibility."

"He's a...he's like you?" the Reverend stuttered.

"Yes, unfortunately. But I want to do what is right for him. Please help me," I begged, hoping to appeal to his sense of rightness.

"Of course, Emil. Let me just get my wits about me. I should expect no less, you being you of course," he answered with an attempt at a reassuring smile. He stood and walked to the altar and seemed to spend a few moments praying before he turned around to look out upon all of us. His serenity that I counted on had returned and he opened his arms in welcome. "Shall we begin?"

"I feel so out of place, Emil. I don't have a dress, or flowers or anything," Evan stammered.

"You are beautiful, just as you are. We don't have to continue if you don't want to, but it would be a waste..." I began.

"No! I just want to be the bride you dream of," she answered.

"Just you being you is enough," I whispered against her temple.

Nodding, she placed her arm through mine and I led her to the front of the sanctuary, our newfound friends falling in behind us. I motioned for Nathan to come and stand to my right. Evan turned and motioned Hannah forward to stand on her left.

Reverend Williams began, "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here tonight in the sight of God to join these two in Holy Matrimony..."

As Reverend Williams proceeded with the wedding vows, I held Evan's hands gently in mine, and gazed into her green eyes. She stared back at me with a wondrous look, open and accepting, radiating happiness I had long given up on ever seeing in a woman's eyes.

It came to the part of the vows where I recited my promises to Evan, and instead of saying 'til death do we part', I altered them slightly, saying, "Unless we should be parted. I lay down my eternal soul for you, Evan, my friend and my love. Today I give to you me."

Evan's eyes brimmed with pink tears, and I moved to quickly wipe them away, sure I'd given the Reverend enough surprises for the night.

Evan repeated the vows after Reverend Williams next, finishing with, "I will cherish you and will help to keep your eternal soul safe, and will honor your gift of self."

When it came time to exchange rings, I could see the consternation on Evans' face when I pulled a ring from my pocket. Slipping it on her finger, I whispered, "It was my mother's. I did not make a special trip out without you knowing. I've kept this hoping one day to find you."

She held onto my hands and whispered back, "But I don't have anything to give you."

As I meaningfully looked into her eyes, I whispered back, trying not to interrupt the lovely story behind the ring being a sign of eternal, never-ending love, "You've given me more than anything I could ask for. You."

"May I present Mister and Missus Emil Drozdan, married this day before God," Reverend Williams announced, lifting his arms high. "You may kiss your bride."

I leaned toward Evan and took my love in my arms, thrilling at those words I thought I'd never hear. Evan put her arms around my neck and pulled me to her. When our lips met, a thrill of electricity shot through me, and I reveled in Evan's sweetness. Not an exhibitionist, I tried to pull away, but Evan held me tighter and deepened the kiss, which was met by catcalls from Aiden and Hawk. I pulled away smiling like a fool this time.

"I love you, always, Evan," I said. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, my knight in shining armor," she answered, with watery eyes. "I love you, too."

We turned to our friends and small family. I called Nathan closer on to us. "Reverend, may we proceed with the rest of the evening's events?"

"By all means. Friends, tonight Emil has requested to make it official before God that he and Evan mean to dedicate themselves to raising Nathan in the ways of Godliness and righteousness, despite the circumstances they all face. Will you join with Emil and Evan in rearing Nathan to be the best he can be, with the help of God and the...the community in which he is raised?" the Reverend stated, stumbling on the end, unsure of the specifics of our community, if I had to guess.

"We will," Jean pronounced immediately, followed closely by the others in the room.

"We will."

"Nathan, do you accept the guidance and care offered by Emil and Evan, and their promise to do their best to help you grow into a fine young man...er, yes, young man?" the Reverend continued.

"I accept," Nathan said, standing taller, pleased I could tell, to be asked his opinion.

"Wonderful. Shall we pray?" the Reverend finished. Evan and I bowed our heads and listened to the blessing spoken over our new family. A feeling of peace and rightness settled into my chest, my spiritual heart, which I had never experienced before.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18 0 16
A Young Woman: Twenty-two year-old Eva Mallory has never felt truly herself. But that's normal, right? Especially given that her only remaining fami...
6 0 6
Evan is a vampire. He didn't choose this form of life but deals with it the best he can. At the beginning of the story, he returns back to his hometo...
3M 105K 46
"You were made for me. And I, for you." His breath is right beside my ear and I tightly shut my eyes closed. He leans down closer. "I was made to lo...
72.7K 2.6K 50
BOOK 1 in The Hybrid Series After the tragic lost of her mom, 17 year-old Zoe Hyland has to deal with being a Hybrid on her own. A very rare and spec...