Best Friends with the Player

By RealityCheck101

Kimberly Taylor was a quiet, shy girl with no friends growing up, until Kindergarten when Asher Knight change... More

Chapter 1- Best Friends with the Player
Chapter 2- Little Bit of Love
Chapter 3- Bad Ass Friends
Chapter 5- Party
Chapter 6- Regrets
Chapter 7- All For Me
Chapter 8- Awkward Movie Time
Chapter 9- It's A Date
Chapter 10- Surprisingly Sorry
Chapter 11- Silver Lining
Chapter 12- Mumbling Truths
Chapter 13- Thrill Ride
Chapter 14- Moral Change
Chapter 15- Family Matters
Chapter 16- Family Gathering
Chapter 17- A Change For Better or Worse
Chapter 18- Love Can Change You
Chapter 19- Love Actually
Chapter 20- What's Said Is Never Promised
Chapter 21- Everyone Has A Breaking Point
Chapter 22- We All Have Secrets
Chapter 23- Secrets Are Secrets For A Reason
Chapter 24- Riptide
Chapter 25- Hold Nothing Back
Chapter 26- Athazagoraphobia
Chapter 27- Let's Be Normal
Chapter 28- Golden Moments
Chapter 29- Snow Day
Chapter 30- Holiday Plans
Chapter 31- Everything I Didn't Say
Chapter 32- Morning Suprises
Chapter 33- Christmas Love
Chapter 34- The Love That Must Go On
Chapter 35- Thinking Out Loud
Chapter 36- A Leopard Changes its Spots
Chapter 37- The Knight's Version of Family Game Night
Chapter 38- One Last Time
Chapter 39- Come Together
Chapter 40- Graduation
Chapter 41- Epilogue

Chapter 4- Asher's Day of Torture

578K 8.7K 5K
By RealityCheck101

Chapter 4- Asher's Day of Torture

Skipping down the hallways of school with books in hand, I made my way to my locker to switch out my books while waiting for Asher so we could walk down to lunch together. Closing my locker, I half expected Asher to be leaning on the other side of my door waiting for me as he always did, but he wasn’t there. I looked around the crowded halls for any signs of Asher, but I didn’t see him.

Huffing, I walked outside to the courtyard alone to go to lunch when I find Asher and some tiny little red head chick making out against the brick wall building. Is he seriously that quickly over with Tiffany and ready to move on? The answer is yes and this time he's gone way too low because he's kissing a freshman!

I stared at him for a long minute, hoping he wasn't going to take too long; but sadly I was mistaken. They just kept going on and on and- well you get my point. I’ve dealt with this for so long that I’m not even shocked to see this going on. It just another one of those moments where I just stand there and roll my eyes to the sky and think really? Just why must he kiss or screw every girl that breaths?

Taking in enough of his crime, I walked over to them and was kind of ticked off when they didn't stop and I was right next to them! I sighed loudly, “OK Mr. Player, its lunch time and you’re coming with me.”

I grabbed his shirt collar and pulled him away. He may be stronger than me, but somehow I managed to pull him away. “Hey!” He whined in protest as we made our way to the cafe.

“Tell your little girlfriend bye bye now, Ashy poo," I said, treating him like a little child. He grumbled under his breath and, looking over my shoulder, I saw his little fresh girl gawk at us leaving her behind, but I didn't care. Freshmen are so immature and stupid, I think the only reason they dated us upper classmen was to just get something out of us, or popularity. Trust me, I hated freshman when I was a freshman. At some point in your high school life, you will hate the freshman. Don’t say you won’t because you will, and you’ll finally realize the mutual feeling.

Walking into the lunch room, we stood in line together, waiting to get our food. I turned around and faced him as we waited for the line to move. His face was composed in a serious look, not daring to look down or stare at me.

I tugged on his shirt sleeve, stretching up on my tip toes to look at him in the eye. He kept raising his head up higher as I got closer, and eventually I gave up with a grunt. “Stubborn child,” I muttered under my breath.

“What do you want?” He grumbled, a bit aggravated. As I took a step forward in line and stopped, I turned to him, crossing my arms over my chest. I just wanted to know why he was so grumpy. It's not like he actually cared for the girl, seriously she's a freshman; at most it's probably going to last two days.

“You can’t be made at me over that?" I say questionably with a serious pouty face.

He sighed. “Not anymore."

“You were mad at me because I took you away from the freshie girl?” I ask, raising my eye brow. He has to be real, it’s not like he was going to let anything go any further with the girl. That freshman should be thanking me! Asher would use and dump her so quick that you won’t even have time to ask for her name.

I thought that he would be grateful to get away from her. If he got caught with her, who knows what the worst of Asher's friends would say to him. Last time, when Dylan was caught hugging one of his little sister's freshman friends, the guys gave him so much grief, thinking that he went soft on girls now. But seriously, who cares what they think; they're all idiots!

“I was pissed that you dragged me away. It kind of made me feel like I'm your Bitch,” He replied with a small grin.

“You are my bitch,” I said playfully, nudging him with my hip. We moved through the line, me grabbing a pizza and Asher getting a sub. Paying for the food, we walked to the table where all of Asher's friends were sitting down joking around and throwing food.

Before we walked any further, Ash grabbed my arm, pulling me back to look at him. “You’re not going to tease me about that in front of my friends, are you?”

I would have never told the boys anyways because it was already sad and humiliating enough. Senior going out with a freshman, that was like a never. Nodding my head, I smiled. “Sure. But that means no complaining when we go dress shopping today."

He groaned as he walked past me and headed to the table. I giggled, following behind him as he took a seat near Dylan, leaving me with the only open seat between him and Tyler. And in case you were wondering, yes the same Tyler that picked on me all through Elementary school, and all through Middle school and did I mention still now!

Motioning Asher to move toward Tyler, he looked up and me a chuckled. “Come on, Kimmy, just sit down and don't over think it."

“No. Move down," I hissed.

“Aww is the big baby still afraid of little ole me?" Tyler cooed as he got laughs from around the table.

My cheeks burned as I had the urge to punch him. “Shut the fuck up, Tyler," I said while shoving him off the bench and on the ground. This time, I got the satisfaction of laughs while his so called friends laughed at him. I took the seat, smirking and giving a death glare to the kid on the floor.

“Not so tough now are we, King?" Zac snickered.

As the guys laughed, high fiving each other and enjoying Ty's downfall, he grumbled under his breath, humiliated that he just gotten embarrassed by a girl. He took his seat next to me, not saying another word.

Taking bites of my pizza, I listened to the boring conversation the boys had brought up, obviously being about sports. I really don't get why boys talk about that all the time; it was the same thing every time. I got up from the table, throwing my trash away, spotting Katie and some of her friends at another table. I took back my seat next to Asher still not amused with the guy’s discussion.

“If Welker caught the damn ball, it would have been a miracle-"

“Not to mention winning the whole game all on one catch!"

I remember watching the Super Bowl one year with Asher's family. Even though I understood nothing about football and all those plays, I at least knew what was going on and what team to cheer for. Taking one of Asher's textbooks, I used it as an uncomfortable pillow to rest my head on. Listening to these boys was more exhausting then listening to a history lecture about the French Revolution.

If you can’t already tell I’m not a genius when it comes to sports. That’s all Ash, I have to hand it to him. He can remember every player on every team, stats, game days, plays, where, when and everything in between. Me, well, I’m just the girl on the side lines or on the couch cheering. No, not on the cheer team but just on the side making sure I’m cheering on the right times for the right team. If football talk isn’t boring already, some of the other boys were just acting like pig rating girls on the other lunch tables.

“I think I'm going to go sit with Katie,” I announced to Asher. Before he could protest or hold me, back I jogged over, sitting on the end seat near Katie. I probably just looked like a freak right then and there from storming away from the all guys table to go and sit at "The Norm" table, at least that's what Katie called it.

“That was the most boring part of my day- Hey Katie!” I greeted, hugging her side just to steal a fruit gummy from her package.

“Hey to you too, fruit snack steal," she joked, nudging my arm with her elbow.

“I need my daily dose of artificial vitamin C.” I joke sarcastically with her.

She laughed at me, “Totally.” I had forgotten all about that Katie was sitting with her friends. Around the table, three other girls and two other boys were there. And that one other boy happened to be my Spencer! I smiled shyly to him, but looked away quickly so people didn't think I was staring. I tried to focus on the other people around the table seeing if I recognized anybody.

There was Brian from English and physics class. He was cute but that type of dorky, cool, and funny cute; like someone you just couldn't resist, but pinch his cheeks.

Abigail - or Abby- is really artistic and outgoing. She does everything the school has to offer. She's even in charge of all the school's events and fundraisers.

Brittany I knew off the bat. She was one of Asher's many ex-girlfriends. Surprisingly, I thought, Asher would have fallen in love with this girl. She's very athletic. Every season she's involved in a sport, and she's really smart; I think she's a straight A student. They actually lasted a whole month! Can you believe it? Asher and a girl for a whole month, I know I still find it shocking. She broke up with Ash because of his immaturity level that I can believe.

Lastly, there's May. She's really quiet and I mean, like, not one word, not one peep quiet. Ever since the beginning of high school, people thought she was a mute! That's how quiet she is, but Katie had told me that when she's comfortable and around with friends and family, she's a nonstop talker.

Katie picked up that I was looking around and quickly introduced me to the people I already knew. “We’re actually all part of the Yearbook Committee," Katie explained.

I've always wanted to be part of the year book club, but I kind of didn't know how to join. I didn't even know Katie was on the team! Hell, I didn't even think Spencer was on the team, and if I knew I would have been the next one to sign up!

“Really! That's so cool! You guys do a great job every year," I complimented.

"Thanks!" Abby said smiling, "I'm usually the one who does the Spirit Week page. Brian does all the geeky tech club pages. Brittany and May always do the senior awards page. Spencer and Katie split all the sport sections, and then there’s other student who do the Prom pages, or Semi dance, flashbacks, Teacher Wall, all the other interesting fun stuff. But we all know why Kate is really here: to keep us together and be the mature one."

Everyone at the table joined in laughing and nodding their heads in agreement. But no one could possibly understand why I was the one laughing even more. Between Katie and I, I'm the most responsible mature one. If I didn't stop Katie from doing crazy stupid things from time to time, she would have been banned from every store, mall, school sport game or events, parties, houses, you name it.

I actually enjoyed sitting at Katie's table talking and laughing with everyone. They're all so nice, carefree, and open. Just by sitting there with them for the last fifteen minutes of lunch, I already felt like part of their group, like I'd know them forever. And their conversations were much more interesting than the guy’s.

As soon as the whistle blew ending lunch, I got up bumping into someone, Tyler. Out of 648 students in the school, I had to bump into him. "Sorry, asshole, did I hurt you again?" I insulted to Tyler.

"Fuck off me, Kimberly," he grimaced.

“Sorry, you’re not my type. You can go fuck some other douche bag that actually cares though," I replied sourly.

“Wow, I'm so hurt. And you didn't even need your bodyguard to help you with that one," he countered bitterly.

“I can fight my own battles, jerk," I said finally, pushing past him. UGH! Tyler always has something to say to me bad or worse. Never a nice comment, even when I have tried to do something nice, he always had some cruel comeback to go with it.

Like when last year I had made Christmas cookie and brought them into class to share, of course he had to make a rude comment and say ‘what did you put in these cookies? Rat poison? Are you trying to kill me?’

Or the time in freshman year when he took an April fool’s joke way too seriously on me and caked me with flour, head to toe! Or the time in fifth grade when he put a fake mouse in my desk. Eventually I gave up trying and just sloped to his level of bitterness. Even if the wasn’t the mature thing to do.

As I walked away, I felt a firm hand on my shoulder trying to stop me. I shrugged it off, pissed that Tyler actually had the nerve to touch me. “King, I swear put your hands on me again and I'm going to make sure you don't have a life to have any kids," I threatened.

“Whoa, I think you've got the wrong guy! And please I do want to have kids," he chuckled.

Turning around to face the voice Spencer stood behind me talking directly to me. All the tension I had in my body vanished and I was excitedly happy and all smiles. “Oh, oh my God, I'm so sorry! I didn't know it was you! I thought-"

“Tyler," he finished off for me.

Yeah," I exaggerated.

“You OK?" he asked, full of concern.

“Yeah, just him being an ass as usual," I said, shrugging my shoulders like it was no big deal or not even surprised.

“Yeah, I get it. What's wrong with you two? You guys been hating each other since...-"

“Forever. Kindergarten. Yeah we have. Like I said it's no big deal really he just always seems to find a way to push my buttons." We walked through the court yard, heading to the science wing of the school. UGH, Physics my most hated subject on Earth. He walked me to my class and stopped at my door, still curious about the whole Tyler thing.

“Maybe he likes you," he smirked.

I looked at him hoping he was joking because clearly that was not the case. Tyler and I have hated each other since Kindergarten, end of story. I most certainly do not have feelings for him and I knew for certain, 100% that he did not like me. No way in hell would I ever like, love, or be with him. Not before, not now, not ever.

“HA!” I shouted in his face, “that was the best joke of the century, really you’re a comedian," I remarked sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

“Why thank you. I've been told that a lot," he smiled elegantly.

“Sure," I exaggerated, giggling. I was surprised that I was talking to Spencer in a totally calm manor. I guess it’s all the practice throughout the years of having a guy as your best friend and always hanging out with his friends.

“Well, I’ve got to go to class before the bell rings or Ms. Nelson will skin me alive. Not kidding," he smirked.

I laughed, “Well than good luck to you, sir.” I said saluting him.

“Bye Kim, see you later," he said, touching my arm as he passed.

OH MY GOD he touched my arm! Eep! I can't believe I just said eep! “Bye!" I said a little too thrilled. I sighed with a smile on my face as I walked into the science room. Waiting right in front of our table is Asher ready to pounce on me. “Where the hell have you been? I was waiting for you near your locker," Asher said desperately.

“Well if you must know, I left without you," I said snootily, putting my books down on the table.

“Well no shit, Nancy Drew,” he barked rolling his eyes.

“Yeah. So dress shopping after school- oh wait sorry after practice, right?!" I said changing the topic quickly.

“Are you positive Katie can't go?" he sighed giving up on my short M.I.A.

“Yep. She leaves tonight so it's me and you today, sucker," I confirmed, sticking out my tongue.

“Ohh goodie," he mumbled taking a seat next to me, finishing off our last period of the day. Double Physics, oh goodie to that.

*****

Moving the curtains out of the way, I stepped out of the dressing room to reveal dress number twenty-one and yes I've been counting. Or Asher has just been reminding me. I put my hands on my hips, smiling to him and spinning around. He sulked in a sofa seat eyeing my dress for a good minute ready to speak his mind.

“The wrinkles make you look fat," he said, crinkling his nose as he gave his opinion.

"Really?" I whined looking at the mirror next to me.

“Yep. Are you done now?" He whined.

“You just told me that I looked fat in the dress! Do you think I'm going to pick this one?"

“I was just hoping you would ignore me and just pick it."

I rolled my eyes dramatically, going back to the dressing room to change into another dress. Taking two minutes I walked out again showing dress number twenty-two.

“It’s fine. I like it. Let's go," Ash hurried me.

“Ehh, I don't like pink," I said looking at it in dislike.

“Then why are you in this store? Everything in here is practically pink!" Asher defended, throwing his hands around to prove to me everything in the store is indeed pink.

It’s true, though. Pretty much every item of clothing was in some form of pink. Even the chair Asher is sitting in is hot pink. I hate pink. EW, makes me look like a brunette Barbie doll. I went back to the dressing room and changed into my normal clothes. Stepping out, I found Asher trying to dose off in the sofa chair.

“Let’s go," I ordered, kicking his shin.

Standing up quickly, he went off to the exit ready to turn in the other direction, the direction to leave the mall. Pulling him back, I spun him around and headed towards another store. “Come on, I want to leave and eat! You’re making a grown man die from starvation," he complained.

“I think you'll make it,” I said, walking into another store looking through a rack full of dresses. "I'll make you a deal. After this store we can go out to eat, and then if I still don't have a dress, we can still keep looking afterwards."

“How about we ditch this store, go grab some food, call it a night and go home," he countered.

Looking through my bag, I found a granola bar and chucked it at him so he would shut up. “Here, eat this." Silently, he took the bar and ate it all in one bite. Pig. I found some dresses that caught my interest and immediately went to the dressing room to put them on.

Slipping on a black skin tight dress that was only one sleeve I stepped out to show Asher who was now sucking on a lolly pop he found in my bag. “That’s cute," he commented, popping the lollypop out of his mouth.

“Cute! I don't want cute I want sexy," I giggled hysterically. One of his eye brows rose looking at me weirdly. "Nah, I don't like it. I feel like I'm going to a funeral."

“OK. Next!"

Going back into the dressing room, I try on a dress Asher picked that was yellow with different pastel colors and patterns. Looking in the mirror I scrunched my nose not like it so much. “Nah," we both said in unison.

Still looking in the mirror I saw from the corner of my eye the perfect dress that I've been looking for. Irresistible! Suddenly, I turned around pointing to the dress up on a manikin. “That one! That's the one right there! Asher, go get it for me please, please, please!" I begged, jumping up and down.

He got one of the stores employees' to take it down so I could try it. I rushed out of the other horrifying ugly dress and slipped on my dream dress. I quickly ran over to the mirror, beaming and smiling. This is the one! I want this one! It so pretty! I squealed in my inner thoughts.

“No," Asher said immediately.

“Yes! Yes, yes, yes it's the one!" I shouted, jumping up and down. It's so gorgeous! I felt like I was talking about my dream wedding dress. It was two colors black and peach. It was all sparkly and it had lines going in all different directions some thick and some thin. It hit right bellow my thigh and went off one shoulder. I wasn't going to leave the store without it! I was determined to take it home and call it mine! I would wear this for the next twenty parties if I had too! But I've probably said that to all my other dress I bought.

“No way in living hell am I letting you leave this store with that dress!" Asher said sternly, killing my mood.

“What do you mean 'hell no?’ Hell yes I'm buying this!" I said back to him.

“I’m not going to let my best friend go to a crazy, wild, teenage party in a dress that she looks practically naked in." I don’t care what party it is, I’m buying it!

“I’m not naked Asher. Come on, be real." I giggled, twirling in front of the mirror as I play with my hair, pulling and rolling it in different styles.

“Your whole back is exposed all the way down till it meets your ass. And that thing has no length what so ever."

“It’s fine. It's perfect! And you’re not my father," I shouted one last time before going back into the dressing room and changing back to my old clothes.

I grabbed the dress firmly in my hands, going up to the register with Asher right on my tail. “Your mom is going to kill you and so is your dad! You look like a hooker. How does that make you feel?"

Giving the lady the credit card and paying for the dress, I turned to Asher smiling. With a wink I said "Sexy and cute.” Grabbing the bag from the lady, I walked out of the store, thrilled with my purchase. I think he’s being a bit over dramatic if you ask me. It’s just a dress, it doesn’t look so bad!

“You know what I've got nothing more to say about this. You go ahead and get pregnant during this party all because of that dress. Don't say I didn't warn you. But all I want to do is eat, go home, and sleep. That was the deal!" he said to me while directing me into a small Italian place.

"One, I will not become prego for many, many reasons. Two, you’re over reacting. Three, I’ve seen your hook up buddies with much less on.” I remind him with a smug smirk. Realizing what I just said out loud I narrowed my eyes and tried to calm myself down. No Kim, this does not make you one of Asher’s sex buddies. You are highly more intelligent and respectful of yourself than all those other girls.

“Sadly that is true. - Table for two please," Asher said to the lady behind the podium.

“Right this way, please," she said kindly, directing us to a table near a window. The lady handed us some menus and took our order for drinks and left. Skimming the menu I already knew that Asher was going to get one of those enormous dishes of pasta and I would just take some of his.

“I’m starving. You still want pasta?" he asked me, still looking at the menu as he spoke.

“As always," I said, flinging away the menu to the side.

As the waitress came with our drinks we started playing tic-tac- toe on a napkin with crayons. I could tell she was desperately trying to get Asher's attention, even sometimes flirting a bit. Asher being Asher, would flirt back with her “unintentionally”, which is a load of crap coming from the guy who flirted with anyone and everyone in his path that could breathe.

Being around Asher was easy, sometimes. He's a great best friend helping me out, and well just being there for me in general, like today. Of course there's always complaints and bickering, but I know deep down he actually enjoys it. I love Asher as if he was my own brother; he’s my closest best friend. Sometimes I tell him more then I tell Katie! And sometimes I think I tell him too much. But I know that no matter what Asher would be there for me.

Even if I were to get pregnant during this party as Asher claims- which I won't! Through good or bad, he would be there for me and I would do the same for him. After dinner was done, we got into Ash's car and he dropped me off at home, telling me he would pick me up tomorrow morning as usual for school.

“And don't get caught with that dress or you'll be dead!" he shouted in a warning tone out of the car window.

I laughed as I stood at the front door ready to go in. Obviously no one -but everyone at the party- was going to see me in that dress. “If I do, don't forget to cry at my funeral!” I joked, watching him drive away.

In twenty-four hours, I’m going to be at a high school party that I rarely ever get invited to. Which only means that I have to wear something to turn heads and get noticed! People are going to look at me and think: WHOA! Is that Kimberly Taylor? That know it all freak? In a dress? At a party? Not reading textbook or writing essay? And I’ll smile walk by and just think: Yes, Kimberly Taylor the girl that everyone thinks is a nerd and would never see at one of these parties because she’s not cool enough. And yeah, I’m proud to call myself hot for the nigh!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kim's Party Dress pic is right there! ---------->

Comment. Vote. FAN!- <3 Ky&Kels :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 436 27
Meet Alison Steele. She has an average life.A best friend, average popularity and the money every man dreams to have. She has the life every girl dre...
15.3K 1.8K 26
Losing somebody you love is one of the most heartbreaking things ever. And, something exactly like this happened with Blaire Evans when she lost Elij...
809 57 16
Alice and Derek are bestfriends. Alice is a 17 year old who loves to have fun but is insecure about herself. Derek is a jock.He is known to play with...
205K 7.7K 26
Katie is facing her last year of high school with her two best friends, Trey and Cody. Nothing complicates things like a love triangle, right? That's...