A Minor Technicality [Complet...

Oleh Kaleigh_James

Blythe Conners was definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time. She was just a small town girl who had be... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1 - Getting Out of Dodge
Chapter 2 - Forced Vacation
Chapter 3 - Wrong Direction
Chapter 4 - A Change in Plans
Chapter 5 - Twenty Questions
Chapter 6 - Who'll Be a Witness?
Chapter 7 - A Trip to Barbie's Dream House
Chapter 8 - Reluctant Explanations
Chapter 9 - Bonding and Boob Control
Chapter 10 - Late Night Snack
Chapter 12 - Over It
Chapter 13 - Bekah's Confession
Chapter 14 - On the Road Again
Chapter 15 - Courtney's Quest
Chapter 16 - Little Soccer Star
Chapter 17 - Déjà Vu
Chapter 18 - Liar, Liar
Chapter 19 - Knowing is Half the Battle
Chapter 20 - The Plan
Chapter 21 - Chicago or Bust
Chapter 22 - Hotel Burnham
Chapter 23 - Silence and Teasing
Chapter 24 - Rachel's Inquisition
Chapter 25 - High Noon at the OK Corral
Chapter 26 - Firecracker
Chapter 27 - Fair Trade
Chapter 28 - Betrayed
Chapter 29 - Trust Me
Chapter 30 - Meeting of the Minds
Chapter 31 - One More Night
Chapter 32 - Coffee Revelations
Chapter 33 - Who's the Boss?
Chapter 34 - Duplicity
Chapter 35 - Ally's End
Chapter 36 - After the Smoke Clears
Chapter 37 - Good Samaritan
Chapter 38 - Gone
Chapter 39 - I Get Knocked Down...
Chapter 40 - All Night Diner
Chapter 41 - ...But I Get Up Again
Chapter 42 - Farrah
Chapter 43 - Acrobatics
Chapter 44 - The Rescue
Chapter 45 - A Proposal of Sorts
Chapter 46 - The Missing
Chapter 47 - A Midnight Visitor
Chapter 48 - The Future is Now
Epilogue
Book 2 Synopsis - Her Last Witness

Chapter 11 - Party Fail

93.3K 2.2K 230
Oleh Kaleigh_James

Blythe's POV

I scrunched my nose in displeasure as I straightened my party dress. "Why did we have to get so dressed up again?"

Bekah shrugged her shoulders and sighed. "Mom just said we were going to a party. Trust me, no one tells me anything, so I don't even know what party or who is going to be there."

Though Bekah tried to hide it, I could see that it bothered the girl that her family kept things from her.

"I'm glad you didn't wear that gold one, Blythe." She gestured to the navy dress with little white hearts that I was currently wearing. "This one looks more age appropriate, and you look really pretty in it."

I smiled softly at Bekah. While I wasn't jazzed to be dressed in an outfit designed for a child, I had to admit she had done a fabulous job making me look younger.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Bekah," I admitted. "You've been a lifesaver. And you look pretty, too. That plum color suits you."

Bekah blushed at the compliment as she looked out the window of the car.

"We're here," she murmured, tucking a stray blonde lock behind her ear.

As we exited the car, I was surprised at the posh nature of the hotel in front of us. We followed Mr. and Mrs. Kelly through the fancy lobby. The sound of Mrs. Kelly's stilettos echoed on the marble floor. Shimmering chandeliers, deep navy walls with gold patterns, and lush plants lent a Venetian feel to the room.

We finally reached a ballroom that was decorated in a similar color scheme. I felt suddenly intimidated as I saw the large number of people already in attendance. Bekah gently grabbed my hand, giving it a squeeze of encouragement. She knew I was nervous to be around so many people. It was hard enough pretending to be twelve when around just a few strangers for a short period of time, but to spend an entire evening with more than a hundred of them was daunting.

"Come on!" Bekah squealed. "I see my friends. We'll avoid Rachel's minions tonight," she grinned.

I think I was even more nervous to be around kids, since Bekah was the only one who had seen through my disguise. Would the other kids be just as observant?

We reached a group of six kids that were hovering near a punch bowl and an appetizer table. My steps slowed of their own accord, but Bekah tugged me, forcing me to quicken my pace.

"Hi guys!" she grinned at her friends. Nodding in my direction, she began to make introductions. "This is Blythe. She's visiting my family for a couple of days."

Still feeling nervous, and just a little bit shy, I waved weakly at the group. There were four boys and two girls, and for kids, they were pretty attractive. I wondered for a moment if one of the boys might be Bekah's boyfriend. A small smirk slipped onto my face at the thought.

Bekah threw her arms around the two girls in the group. "These are my best friends Andi and Sam." I grinned at the girls. Andi's pale blonde hair and bluish gray eyes were so similar to Bekah's, she looked like she could have been Bekah's twin. Sam, on the other hand, was tan with long black hair and deep brown eyes. They were both remarkably pretty, and I could tell from their smiles that they loved Bekah as much as she loved them.

"And these guys are Liam, Josh, Steven, and Mark," she said pointing to the boys of the group. I smiled at the boys, and couldn't help the blush that flooded my cheeks at the sight of Liam's cheeky grin.

"How old are you guys?" I asked the group. It turned out I was the "youngest" one. Sam was thirteen like Bekah; Andi, Josh, and Steven were fourteen; and Liam and Mark were fifteen. They were all pretty good kids, and they joked and teased each other like they'd known each other since they were babies. It made me a little homesick. It had been so long since I had spoken with any of my friends from back home. My break-up with Charlie had divided our group pretty evenly. Even my parents had sided with him when I called off the wedding.

"Why so sad?" Liam's smooth voice pulled me from my wayward thoughts.

"Sorry," I muttered. "I was just lost in thought."

Liam's pale green eyes twinkled, and he ran his hand nervously through his wavy blonde hair.

"Would you like to dance?" he asked hesitantly.

I smiled at the boy. Considering I had to project my twelve year old persona, I knew I should accept his offer. To be honest, if I was seven or eight years younger, I would totally crush on a guy like Liam.

"Sure," I smiled.

Liam grabbed my hand and led me to the small dance floor in the middle of the banquet tables. Weaving between the people already dancing, Liam found an open area on the floor just as the song switched to a slow one. As Liam placed his hands on my hips, I slid my arms around his neck.

"So, you're visiting the Kellys?"

"Yeah. Just for a couple of days," I answered. Liam looked a little disappointed at that piece of information.

"Luca is taking me home, but we stopped here to see Rachel first." I glanced around the room, puzzled. "Speaking of Luca, I wonder where he and Rachel are. Bekah said everyone was coming."

Liam chuckled and pointed behind me. "I think the guests of honor are planning to 'make an entrance'," he replied mysteriously. I turned, only to freeze momentarily when I noticed the banner hanging above the entrance behind me. How had I missed it? Congratulations Luca and Rachel. I swallowed slowly when I realized that we were at their engagement party.

I caught Bekah's attention from across the room and pointed to the banner. I could tell the moment the words sunk into her brain, because her whole demeanor changed. Her jaw dropped and her eyes narrowed, but the sudden applause that filled the room broke the spell, and I saw her gaze drop to the couple entering the room.

They looked so perfect together. Luca was dressed in a fitted tuxedo. His dark curls were styled and more subdued than I'd seen them. They usually were messy, just begging to be touched. On his arm, Rachel looked radiant in a deep red gown that flowed to the ground. It had a deep, plunging neckline, exposing far too much cleavage for my taste. They looked gorgeous together.

I may have been imagining things, but Luca seemed to stiffen when they entered the room. Rachel whispered something in his ear, and he nodded and began to lead her to the dance floor. I stared at him, wondering what he was thinking at the moment. He didn't look as happy as a man in love should.

Liam saved me from my thoughts once again by grabbing my hand and turning me to him.

"Shall we?" he asked, a wicked smirk on his mouth as he bowed theatrically.

Chuckling, I nodded my head, and Liam led me back to our spot on the dance floor. He was a fabulous distraction. When the slow song ended and we heard a fast number begin, he winked at me and shifted our positions. He joked and teased, and I allowed myself to get lost in the music of the dance and the friendship of this teenage boy.

I felt the sudden heat of Liam at my back as he trailed his fingers down my arm. Before I could distance us, I felt the absence of his presence and turned to find Luca, gripping Liam's collar. Luca glared at the boy, his jaw ticking with anger.

"What do you think you're doing?" he hissed, and Liam visibly paled at the threat.

"D-d-dancing?" he answered, voice quivering.

"Luca, stop!" I yelled, finding my voice. Liam was harmless, and Luca should know that. He was just a young boy with a crush. Even if I truly was twelve years old, I wouldn't be in town long enough for Liam to do anything to me. Besides, Liam was a good kid. I could tell. "He wasn't doing anything!"

Luca's blazing eyes turned to me and his chest heaved as he took a deep breath. "Why would you let him put his hands on you?" he growled, and I flinched at the intensity of his gaze.

"We were just dancing," I retorted. "He wasn't doing anything."

Forgetting Liam, Luca let go of him and turned to me, grabbing my wrist firmly. "It is my JOB to keep you safe until you get home!" he yelled. "That includes keeping you away from punks with dirty minds."

My stomach sank at the reminder that to Luca, I was only a job - a responsibility. I yanked my hand from his grasp and stood on tiptoe, as he towered over me.

"I can take care of myself!" I shouted, and turned to hurry out of the ballroom. Glancing back, I saw Luca still fuming with anger in the middle of the dance floor. As I turned toward the exit once more, a small gasp escaped my throat. Mere feet away from me stood Rachel, oblivious to the mayhem on the dance floor. But what sent my heart racing was the girl standing next to Rachel. Her dark hair and deep tan were enough to trigger my memory, but Michael's sister was a huge fan of plastic surgery, and her fake breasts and nose confirmed it. I would never forget Courtney Johnson. 

I didn't think she had seen me, but I didn't want to risk her blowing my cover to Michael. Running from the room at top speed, I slipped into the nearest restroom I could find and locked myself in one of the stalls. I climbed onto the toilet, sitting atop the tank with my back against the wall. Only then did I notice that I was shaking. Visions of Michael's face as he murdered Lou in cold blood danced through my mind on repeat. I felt like I had cried more in the last forty-eight hours than in the last ten years of my life, but I couldn't keep myself from losing my composure once more. The sooner I got home the better. Until I was safe at my parents' farm, I couldn't be certain that Michael's goons wouldn't find me. I didn't want to die, and it was with that thought that I completely crumbled, sobbing alone in the women's restroom.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

29.3K 1K 29
"I'm not afraid of you, Giovanni." "You really should be." She continued to walk closer to me. "I'm a beast." "Then that would make me your beauty."...
39.9K 1K 24
She has returned, changed.. She was an innocent 15-year-old girl who had been through too much to list. Silently, she fights her own battles and trie...
83.1K 1.3K 54
Weakness; the lack of strength either mentally or physically "This business isn't for the faint of heart Fratello." The Sanchez Family was many thing...
25.5K 755 28
[BOOK 2] Esme and Luca Salvatore are back! This time with their twins, Mia and Carlos who have just recently turned 22. Luca has been training Carlos...