The Guy Next Door

By LovelyWriter123

Explicit Context... Successful, hard working, and no tolerance for non-sense attitude made Khloe Sparks the s... More

The Guy Next Door
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51

Chapter 13

428K 8.2K 1.5K
By LovelyWriter123

Chapter 13

Lowering the beige folder in my hand I folded my hands over the neat stack of papers that have grown every hour despite that I have been working non-stop in the hopes of ridding the large stack. There seemed to have been some sort of mix up between the agents and now we had four writers expecting covers, editing and interviews for their newest novels in the next week. Normally I would have concentrated on the more important client and explain to the newest writers that we have to push any plans aside for a brief moment but it just so happens that all four writers were old clients and neither wanted to wait, my hand was forced. Left with no choice I called all departments into the conference room early this morning, no one was pleased with the extra work load suddenly dumped upon them and with a nearing deadline but no one protested. The dark glares were casually thrown my way as I explained the situation and how every employee must pitch in to organize this mess before this small bump in the road reached Henry.

After splitting the duties between my employees I dismissed them with a stern demand that they not dally with their work seeing how the clients will be coming in the next few days to approve of the on going projects and that meant double the work in half the time my employees were accustom too. Exiting the conference room I heard a few employees complaining about the urgent jobs thrust unexpectedly in the break room. Furious at the heavy work load they seemed to take their frustrations out on me, mocking my strict tone and childishly calling me vicious names, none I haven't heard before.

Turning my attention back to the small woman waiting patiently in front of my desk ready with a notepad in her hands and a pen wiggling in case I asked her to jolt anything down. This is why I like Amy, she was always prepared for any curve ball I tossed at her and never once complained or even groaned when I interrupted her weekends with work related projects. She never spoke about anything outside of work and never asked for time off, which was surprising since she had a photo of her family on her desk occupying the entrance of my office. She never brought up any graduations, get togethers, not even a birthday.

"In another hour make a round through the departments and return with an update on each project."

She nodded her short hair bobbling around her face "Yes Ms. Sparks." she responded in a small voice

"Reply to any emails and send me a copy of next week's schedule for the horror series release, call Carly to inform her of the upcoming deadline for the three hundred page novel and send her a copy of the draft photo cover." I ordered pleased as she scribbled each task down with a nod

Her hand darted over the mini pad not once asking me to repeat a task or ask infuriating questions my past assistants have asked. Considering my lack of patience and non existing tolerance for redundancy, a assistant that accomplished a job the first time around without asking a dozen questions was crucial for me and that is exactly what Amy is. It is a trait I valued in Amy from the first day she stepped foot in my office six months ago when she had successfully brought me a hazelnut creamed coffee with two sugars -not that diet crap either-, two muffins; one bran muffin with a blueberry topping only and a thin toasted bagel with a smooth strawberry cream cheese on one side. Amy nailed that test on the first try and I hired her on the spot.

Her round brown eyes lifted off the pad awaiting the next task "Anything else Ms. Sparks?"

Leaning back I nodded "A cup of coffee for me, what would you like anything Tess?" I asked turning to the bulging woman laying on her back on my couch

She lifted her head off the plush cushions, her eyes were outlined with dark circles indicating a lack of sleep due to yet another false alarm in the middle of the night "A pack of those soft cakes with creme inside." she answered

Amy gave another nod and exited the room, already attending to her latest tasks. Tess wiggled from side to side her bulging stomach tilting as she placed her hands on her knees and pushed herself up into a sitting position. The corners of my mouth quirked upwards, feeling a twinge of guilt as I continued watching her struggle, she huffed loudly when she was unable to stand, the bowling ball sized stomach refraining her from standing. Giving up on her first plan she placed her hands on each armrest, with a animal like growl she attempted to stand -the key word here is attempt. Falling back into the sofa with an irritated sigh Tess folded her hands over her chest, which has grown much fuller since the beginning of her pregnancy.

"Those woman who say being pregnant is a wonderful experience are manipulative liars, this sucks." she pouted

Pushing away from my chair I started toward where she sat aggravated by the discomfort she felt due to the baby's nearing due date. Wrapping my arm around her waist I took her hand with mine and with her assistance I had her up on her feet. She sent me a grateful smile, the last month has been torture on her. Sleepless nights, countless false alarms, cravings, mood swings and the worse side effect, uncontrollable bladder.

"I thought new moms are suppose to glow." I teased as I returned to my seat

She waited until she lowered herself into the seat across from mine before shooting me a glare "That's one hundred percent shit on a stick Khloe, being pregnant is like having the most painful cramps and bloating for nine hell filled months."

She placed a hand over her stomach, her hand rubbing circles over the bloated area. Despite her complaints a serene expression replaced the exhausted, worn out look and a smile touched her lips, it's moments like this that confirm my theory that Tess will be a great mother. Her kind heart and bubbly personality are what make her lovable but her loyalty to her loved ones and over protectiveness is what will make such a fantastic mother. Any child would be grateful for such a strong mother.

"Your really pissing mommy off, baby." she cooed placing her free hand beneath her round belly

I smiled at the one-sided conversation that has been occurring since the moment she ran out of the woman's bathroom with a urine stick straight into my office.

"You still don't want to know the sex?" I asked knowing the answer

She shook her head her soft sapphire eyes gleaming as they did when speaking about her bundle of joy "Jake and I don't care about the sex, we just want it to be healthy."

A flutter of joy spread in my chest for my best friend, Tess and Jake have been trying for a baby for three years despite the fact that every doctor they went to said it was near to impossible for Tess to get pregnant. After telling those doctors to shove their educational theories up their asses Tess kept at it -which I'm sure Jake was pleased about- and after many breakdowns, a ridiculously large stock of sex gel and half a dozen pregnancy tests every month it finally happened.

"Its amazing Khlo." she sighed lifting her gleaming eyes, her petal pink lips were spread into a warm smile "To have Jake and this small blessing, its everything I've always wanted." she said, her tone soft with the heart felt confession

Returning her smile with one of my own I tried hiding the strange dark feeling creeping into my heart as I replayed her words. Tess is one of those lucky people with that tight knit family, growing up in one large house in the suburbs, dating her best friend who was also her high school sweetheart than marrying him and now they're having a child. All her life she had this sphere of love surrounding her, I'm not saying her life was peachy perfect but the more important things were perfect and that was enough; she has love all around her and that bothered me. It made me wonder why I couldn't be given a loving family or a high school sweetheart, hell I'd settle for one distant relative if it meant I had part of the happiness that she had.

Envy. Recognizing the emotion at last I lowered my gaze hating myself for feeling what I did but how could I not? Tess is a person who you see on teenage movies, the beautiful blonde you hate to love minus the bitchiness, the kind of girl a guy brings home. The kind mothers brag about to their friends, the kind of girl that juggles her job, marriage and anything else life tosses her way. Compare her all American image to my cold hearted bitch image and you wouldn't believe we were friends. I'm the type of girl you don't speak to unless you have to, the type you don't date, the type mothers frown upon -not that I've meet any-, the girl who buries herself neck deep in her work just to avoid any contact with others. The type of girl that people go to great lengths to avoid because if they do approach her she'll be a icy bitch.

The sound of my name broke me out of my thoughts, peering up through my lashes I was met by a pair of ocean blue eyes that held a flicker of concern.

"You spaced out for a moment there."

Shaking my head clear of the envious thoughts that had entered my mind, moping isn't helping "Just thinking." I dismissed

"About a certain sexy neighbor?" she questioned arching a brow

Glaring in her direction I felt tempted to admit the true reason for my distraction but debated against it. The last thing I want is for her to pity me.

"Wes hasn't crossed my mind all day." I stated, knowing that it was because of the mix up with the novels keeping me constantly working but she didn't need to know that.

"Oh come on Khloe, the man asks you out after kissing you senseless and your telling me you haven't thought of him at all?" she said, a look of disbelief crossing her features

A spark of anger flickered in my chest -directed at myself for running straight to Tess with the shocking events from the family dinner. Recovering from my state of shock later than I'd like I shut the front door and made a beeline to the phone. Blurting everything to a half sleepy Tess I felt confused even as I repeated Wes's words and the led to me asking Tess to explain what he really wanted, the different mood swings yesterday left me very confused and the spontaneous kisses didn't help in the least. The concern laced in his tone when he asked about my mother and I was a different side of Wes, one I haven't seen but the cockiness as he exited was a trait I knew well and hated with a passion. Than there was the hoarse, husky tone of his voice after he kissed me that sent a shiver of delight coursing through my body. It was three different sides of him that left me dazed and confused about who Wes really was.

"No, because these dates are strictly business." I retorted

She pursed her lips not attempting to hide her doubt, she leant forward grabbing the beige folder I was studying earlier. "This is business." she said, waving the folder in my face "And what you have with him is not business sweetie, it's full blown sexual tension."

I shook my head refusing to ponder the idea for second, it wouldn't work. Two different people with two different lives, different expectations-it would be like a cat and dog mating. It's impossible and frankly a dangerous mix that will end badly, most certainly for me.

"I told you already these dates are specifically for us to get more acquainted with each other long enough without my family or the media suspecting anything a mist." I spoke, in a cool and professional tone

"That's dating sweetie minus the media part." she shot with a knowing smirk

"Its not." I snapped defensively

Tess shrugged her long thick lashes fluttering closed, leaning further against the cushioned chair she placed both hands over her belly.

"Whatever you say hun, when are you going on your first date?" she asked fluttering her eyes open and revealing a glint in her eyes

Ignoring the glint of amusement I shrugged returning my attention to the computer in front of me "He hasn't called."

From the corner of my eye I noticed her straighten, like a disciplined solider, prepared and on full alert, except Tess has better heightened senses than any solider. Pretending not to have seen her practically pop out of the seat I responded to an email from Henry informing me of the new client he has specifically signed on to my department. Keeping my response short and approachable I agreed knowing I didn't have much of a choice to begin with.

There were a few other emails I left for Amy to reply to, including one from my mother apologizing for last night. Our screwed up relationship had this strange pattern, we fight for one reason or another, storm away from the other and make up in the next twenty-four hours. After a guilty night filled with no sleep my mother cracks first, leaving voicemails and emails explaining how she regrets what happened. Ignoring her overly exaggerated email I focused on the welcome party Henry plans every month for the newest writers that join our company.

I already had a small italian restaurant booked, Amy recommended the place claiming it was a a large place with a bar, the food and waiting staff according to her were appropriate for the celebration. Still hesitant about the low key restaurant I sent Tess personally to check it out, after an 'amazing' lunch there with Jake, Tess gave her seal of approval I -reluctantly- agreed. A small establishment isn't the problem, it's the questionable neighborhood that had me uneasy. It was centered in a old Italian neighborhood which fit since it was a traditional Italian restaurant, after looking the restaurant up I called the place up and asked for a closed party. The man -who I assumed was the owner- assured me that wouldn't be a problem, settling a few minor details I felt slightly better about the choice.

"You should call him."

Lifting my eyes from my screen I sent Tess a quizzical look "Excuse me?"

"Wes, call him." she repeated

I shook my head annoyed that she was still on the Wes subject, returning my attention to my work I replied not bothering to look in her direction while doing so "I don't have his number."

When she didn't speak for a blessed two minutes I thought she had decided to let the topic go, oh how wrong I was.

"Ask your landlord." she chirped happily

Darting my eyes back to her I shook my head recalling the creepy old man who owned the building, there is no way I am speaking to that weirdo and especially not to ask for Wes's number.

"No."

She sucked her teeth and gave a very efficient eye roll that would put any grumpy teenager to shame "You are asking for a phone number I'm sure he'll give it to you."

Oh I know he will, my issue with this situation is what will the frail old man want in return for the number. "He is going to want something in exchange." I said hoping to discourage her from probing further

Instead of backing down she shrugged her shoulders "So we'll figure a common ground, now call him." she countered picking the office phone up

"I am doing no such thing." I protested folding my hands over my chest stubbornly

Twenty minutes later I hung up with my landlord with Wes's number added to my cellphone, after a ten minute lecture from Tess I rang the old man up. He seemed surprised to hear from me since I slipped my rent under his door every month hoping to avoid the weird man, apparently he knew I purposely avoided him. Explaining what I needed I was correct in assuming he would want something in return, the sly man now had a two months prescription to the magazine AARP courtesy by me.

"Call him." Tess said as she dug into the cakes Amy had brought in but it sounded more like 'pall mimm'.

Hitting the call button I raised the phone to my ear glaring daggers at Tess who seemed too wrapped up devouring the whole box to have noticed. It rang twice, three times with still no answer before a familiar deep voice sounded from the other end.

I froze the phone feeling like a brick in my hand as Wes's voice floated in my ear again. Sending Tess a panicked look I seriously debated on hanging up but knew the pregnant woman licking chocolate from her fingers would push me into calling again, then I'd have to explain to Wes why I went mute and hung up.

Steeling my shoulders I cleared my throat, he's just another guy. I assured myself.

"Hello Wes." I greeted my voice a bit quivery

There was a moment of silence and for I second I thought he didn't recognize my voice. "Well if it isn't my favorite little kitty kat." he said his voice as playful as always

A dark blush flushed over my features at the pet name he adopted towards me, the memory of the last time he called me that annoying nickname. Clearing my throat I mentally slapped myself for thinking about that kiss, unfortunately I caught Tess's attention and the wide grin plastered on her face meant she noticed my blush.

"Yes, I was calling to err.. ask if you were umm-" I paused grimacing at my sudden lost for words, he probably thinks I'm an idiot over the phone

Tess flicked my arm, snapping my gaze up I sent her a lost look that she returned with a stern one and motioned with her hands for me to go on. Nervously biting my lip I had no idea how to approach the topic without sounding like a babbling moron which I have successfully done before.

"You still there kitty?" he asked his voice holding a hint of concern

I nodded stupidly and slapped a hand over my face as a fresh shade of blush covered my cheeks "Yeah I'm still here."

The clatter of cups sounded in the background reminding me that he was at work right now and I am interrupting his work with silence and nods he can't see. Mustering up every ounce of courage I had in me I managed to sit up straight.

I can do this.

"I was wondering if you were available today?" I asked proud of the confidence now in my voice

"At the moment no but I'm sure I can squeeze you into my hectic schedule later. Say five-thirty?"

"Five-thirty?" I repeated peering down at the load of work I had yet to finish. A swift kick under the table had me wincing, glaring up at the owner of the sharp heel that dug into my leg I was met with a pair of hardened sapphires. 'Say yes', she mouthed her eyes warning me not to go against her orders.

"Five-thirty is good for me." I said against my better judgement

A roar of laughter howled from the other end as Wes shushed the too cheerful crowd up, forgetting to cover the speaker while doing so. A male voice shouted for Wes to give him a hand tossing something away as a female voice protested against the idea. There was a muffled sound just before a loud whoosh of air was released from the other line.

"Great, my apartment?" he asked a smidgen of uncertainty reflected in his tone

"Oh Wes has a date!" a female voice announced

A echo of oh's rang in the receiver, biting my bottom lip to stifle a laugh I listened as Wes shouted for them to shut up but the noise didn't die down, instead the voices went up an octaval.

"Is it that girl from the magazine?" a squeaky voice asked

"Are you goin' bang her?" a male chuckled amused for a reason unclear to me

Forgetting to cover the receiver Wes blew into a fit of profanities that would put any sailor to shame, some words I hadn't fathomed were curses till they flew out of his mouth threatening the group behind him. His voice raged on loud enough for Tess to hear, her mouth gaped as the threats dragged on before placing her hands defensively over her bulging belly as if they were aimed at the fetus. A few seconds later his rant finished, there were a few grunts in the background along with someone shouting in a foreign language.

"You still there?" he asked his voice still a bit edgy

"Yeah and I can honestly say that was you have the worse mouth I've ever heard." I admitted

A whoosh of air sounded in my ear "Sorry about that, my family can really bug me."

"You're telling me." I muttered sarcastically

A deep chuckle filled my ears, an excited shiver made it's way through the pit of my belly the electric wave awakening something within me I hadn't known was there. Shoving the new feeling aside I hoped Tess hadn't noticed me shuddering.

"I'm sure you have had much stranger moments than this, maybe you can tell me about it tonight." he said the smile clear in his tone

"Maybe." I said knowing I wasn't going to touch anywhere near my complicated family

"I'll see you tonight than, bye." he said

"Bye." I said and hung up

Releasing a breath of relief I placed the phone down and pushed it away afraid of the simple electronic. Peering up through my lashes I met Tess's excited gaze.

"Khloe has a date." she squealed happily

Attempting a smile I couldn't ignore the hammering of my heart in my chest as the thought settled in.

Holy crap I have a date with Wes tonight!

**********

As promised I updated before the New Year, I have a very busy week filled with family and friends so please don't harass me about updating. I understand waiting for an upload is infuriating but so is badgering me for an update, I don't want come off rude but I do have a life outside of writing especially since I update frequently as it is.

The next update will be after in the New Year, thank you all for reading and for those of you who respect my private life:)

To end with a good note happy New Year everyone!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Without You By Jeem

Teen Fiction

1K 25 10
This is where I'm supposed to introduce myself as the shy, nerdy girl. Then introduce the other protagonist of the story, who's a charismatic hot guy...
433K 6.9K 51
หšสš ๐—”๐—ป ๐—˜๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—˜๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ ๐—ฅ๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ ษžหš หšเญจเญงโ‹†๏ฝกหš โ‹† ๐—Ÿ๐—จ๐—ซ๐—จ๐—ฅ๐—ฌ ๐—•๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—–๐—ž was a n...
92.8K 2K 30
Jessica is a sweet university girl with a promising future but miserable luck in her love life. After her last breakup, she keeps looking for a guy w...
8.2K 120 14
Belle is a bratty 20 year old to a rich lawyer in Miami who only served A list celebrities. He was a sweet father who only wanted to give his daughte...