Finding Grace: The Guardian C...

By feydoc

Highest rank Vampire #1. Evan Whitman is a emergency trauma physician with a special gift. She has the abili... More

title page
Prologue
Chapter 1. Help*
Chapter 2. Why?*
Chapter 3. To Save a Life*
Chapter 4. Run*
Chapter 5. My Ride Home*
Chapter 6. It Might Kill Me*
Chapter 7. Haunted*
Chapter 8. Inner Demons*
Chapter 9. Lingering Echoes*
Chapter 10. Little Details*
Chapter 11. Friends?*
Chapter 12. Damned All Around*
Chapter 13. Just A Girl*
Chapter 14. I Will Fix You*
Chapter 15. Leave Your Baggage at the Door*
Chapter 16. Heaven Forbid*
Chapter 17. Gone*
Chapter 18. Blood On My Hands*
Chapter 19. Truth and Consequences*
Chapter 20. Innocence*
Chapter 21. Answers*
Chapter 22. Inner Turmoil*
Chapter 23. In the Name of Science*
Chapter 24. On Fire*
Chapter 25. Family Ties*
Chapter 26. The Truth is Hard to Swallow*
Chapter 27. Unexpected News*
Chapter 28. Tensions Rising*
Chapter 29. In the Afternoon*
Chapter 30. Trouble*
Chapter 31. Uninvited*
Chapter 32. Guardian Angel*
Chapter 33. Broken*
Chapter 34. PRN*
Chapter 35. Gives You Hell*
Chapter 36. Little Secrets*
Chapter 37. She Is...*
Chapter 38. With Teeth*
Chapter 39. Discovery*
Chapter 40. Welcome Home*
Chapter 41. Bring the Rain*
Chapter 42. Karma*
Chapter 43. Irresponsible*
Chapter 44. Never Alone
Chapter 45. Hurt*
Chapter 46. Chasing Zebras* (medical folks will understand zebras :)
Chapter 47. Sigh No More*
Chapter 48. Big News*
Chapter 49. Shelter You*
Chapter 49.5
Chapter 50. Home*
Chapter 51. Meet the Family*
Chapter 52. Responsibility*
Chapter 53. Miraculous*
Chapter 55.1
Chapter 55. Xavier*
Chapter 56. You and I*
Chapter 57. Me*
Chapter 58. Undisclosed Desires*
Chapter 59. Best Laid Plans*
Chapter 60. Intuition*
Chapter 61. Found Out*
Chapter 62. Sleepyhead*
Chapter 63. Help Me*
Chapter 64. Karma*
Chapter 65. Breathe*
Chapter 66. Escape*
Chapter 67. Labor*
Chapter 68. It Ends Tonight*
Chapter 69. Hello Daddy*
Chapter 70. All I Wanted*
Chapter 71. Hybrid*
Chapter 72. Mine*
Epilogue
Saving Grace: The Guardian Chronicles Book Two
Playlist for the inspiration for The Guardian
Synopsis
supplemental material
Chapter 2.
Hi! Here's some flowers for you

Chapter 54. New Developments*

34.1K 504 16
By feydoc

I've added to this chapter a bit of Jean and Hawk. It is in the latter third of the chapter, and if you are offended by homosexuality, please avoid it. I thought about adding another .5 chapter here, but thought that the information is important for the story that comes along with it.

Chapter 54. After the Storm by Mumford & Sons

Emil

My aversion to leading the Guardians grew as I inwardly fought my desire to run away with Evan and take her to a secret hideaway, where I knew I could keep her and our daughter safe. This was precisely why I had never sought a companion, knowing in my soul that I would not sacrifice one responsibility for the other. Struggling to accept the help of my brothers, I had yet to relinquish my reluctance to trust them.

Hawk drew my attention when he began speaking. "I know some of those loyal to Aristarchus and Romley. Good show, Aiden, killing that son of a bitch. Pierre and Veronica were with Romley when he slashed me. They came through while Xavier was fighting off the Newborns and protecting Hannah. I think that's why you didn't see them. They were more than happy to let those mindless zombies do their fighting. They didn't count on me coming in from behind. I didn't count on coming up against Romley. He was a scrappy git. Romley bragged about having Aristarchus and Benjamin on his side, mumbled some shit about setting a trap with Ari for you guys. I don't quite know what he was talking about."

"We found Aristarchus with his heart ripped out in the Council chambers. Conveniently, there was only one heart in the room lying near him. We put it back and while we were searching for other survivors. Unfortunately, he got away. The other bodies in the chamber belonged to human women they had misused terribly," Tourneau explained.

Hawk let off a string of curses that would embarrass any sailor, and continued, "Goddam, Jean, Emil. That is exactly what we've fought to prevent all these years. How did it come to this?"

"Hawk, we feel the same. Do you know anything else that might help us figure out the next step?" I said, not wanting to get off track.

"Yeah, shit. As I lay there bleeding, Romley bragged about getting inside information from Tourneau through his lover," Hawk said more as a question than a statement. He was looking to Jean for an explanation.

"Unfortunately, that part may be true. I thought I had found a partner in Rafael. He and Bong-Li had come here with me, so I could introduce them to Emil. I had no idea they were part of a larger plot to overthrow the Guardians. I don't know how I missed it. Rafael was very controlling, and I apparently fell prey to his wiles. Bong-Li never cared much for me, saw me as usurping her place with Rafael, or so I thought. I think it would be safe to say that Rafael was not as invested in the relationship as I was, at least not for the same reason," my friend admitted softly. He impressed me with his openness. He'd never been so forthcoming with his sexuality in front of other Guardians before. Then again, maybe he had not been so sure in the past.

Watching emotions flit across Hawk's face as he chose his next words, the feelings he held for Tourneau were thinly veiled. He ended up saying, "I wouldn't believe you would do anything purposely to harm innocents. I have to believe you were used as a pawn, though it surprises me too. You were always so cautious of other vampires."

"I know. I figured since I was on the other side of the world, my life here couldn't haunt me. How wrong I was," Jean answered ruefully.

"That was the past, Jean. Let's move forward and be glad we all survived," I said, wanting to get my friend's mind off his losses. "Hawk, do you know anything of Luther and Steele?"

"No. What about you guys, Malachi or Aiden? Did you have any plans to rendezvous with them?" Hawk asked as he went to stand next to Tourneau, who had moved off to the side, looking out the shoulder high windows down the wall from the sofa.

"Our only planned rendezvous was with Veronica. My guess is she was to lead Romley to the Nest. I wonder what happened between the attack at the Enclave and your place?" Malachi replied as he shook his head side to side.

"I killed Rafael," I answered simply. "I killed a key player and they had to regroup."

I could not take my eyes off Tourneau and Hawk as the burly redhead pulled my friend into a comforting embrace. I turned my attention away after a moment, when I was sure that Jean seemed to be in good hands. Drawing the others' attention to me, I said, "It seems our enemies are weaker than they thought they would be. Romley had already been proclaiming Jean and I dead, when they stormed through the cells. He jumped the gun, and when he realized Rafael wasn't going to join him, something had to change, don't you think?"

"I suppose," Malachi said.

"Well, I expect Bong-Li has returned to where ever it is they were hiding out, very likely Romley's estate, and has shared the news that Tourneau and I are still kicking. And that Romley is dead," I concluded.

"And we still have Luther and Steele at large," Malachi said. "I would have to say that at this point, we would have to assume they are traitors, unless we find proof to the contrary. What do you think Xavier? Aiden?"

"As much as I hate to think that of Steele, I have to agree with you," Aiden answered.

"Same with Luther. He was as reclusive as most of us, but I would not have thought him part of a conspiracy. Then again, I did not know the Brethren were involved either. I've done too good a job at keeping my nose down, it seems," Xavier admitted.

"I saw something on the news the day of the attack, Emil," Evan interjected. She pulled herself to her full height as she slipped her hand into mine. All eyes turned to Evan expectantly. I squeezed her hand gently in encouragement.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I didn't hear everything, because I was stunned to see Romley's face on the news, but they were talking about a grand opening of his new club in Laclede's Landing. It was supposed to happen this weekend. Even though he's gone, I'll bet the others will still proceed with the grand opening," she explained.

"This weekend? I'll bet that was how he planned to increase his numbers for his vampire army. Maybe he was just the front man. I have no idea how far above Romley this goes. If the Brethren are involved, I can only imagine they were the ringleaders, not followers. No matter what Romley boasted, I think he was just a pawn in the Brethren's plot," I said, thinking through all the details that I had gathered over the last few days.

"We need to crash the grand opening and see what we can find out, in my opinion," Xavier said.

I was apt to agree with him. If we went to see about the others tonight or the next, surely Evan would be fine. Her pregnancy could not advance so quickly that the next two days would put her in danger. 

"I agree," I stated. "We might be able to solve at least this part of the mystery of who is loyal and who has turned traitor by who shows up at the party. We are going to need to go in disguise, though. I don't want to risk us being found out before I'm ready for us to be revealed."

"That sounds like a plan, Emil," Malachi confirmed. "I think one of us should stay with Evan and Hannah. Hannah isn't a warrior and would only be a liability."

"Don't talk about me as if I'm not here! Maybe you should rethink what you just said. The grand opening is at a club. Wouldn't it be better if your cover included a couple, instead of a group of scary looking males? I can hold my own, ask Xavier!" Hannah exclaimed angrily.

"She did save my sorry hide," Xavier admitted. He smiled at her appreciatively and said, "She could probably be trained quickly to work with us."

"Thank you! Evan, do you ever get tired of the Neanderthal treatment around here?" Hannah asked.

"Honestly, I've been so beat up and bruised, or terrified much of the last several weeks, I'm thankful for a big strong man to protect me. Although I really do hate it when these guys assume they know the best about everything," Evan answered, eying me critically.

"You have to admit that you are on shaky ground, being a new vampire and a first time mother. I may know something you don't," I teased, cupping her backside and pulling her close to me.

"True, just don't forget that I have a brain in this head of mine, and I like to use it. Don't leave me here with nothing to do again. That was torture the other day. No offense Nathan, playing Sonic with you was fun," Evan said, smiling at the boy.

I had nearly forgotten him again in my disgruntled state. He had also proven himself to be a capable defender.

"Nathan, are you okay with me appointing you as one of Evan's guards?" I asked, hoping I would appeal to his protective side by asking this way, instead of triggering an adolescent pout by ordering him to stay behind like a child.

"Sure. I could handle that. Evan is cool to hang with," he answered, although I believe he knew my objective anyway by the way he eyed me.

Now, I only had to figure out which of my Guardians to leave behind. If I left Tourneau behind, it would appear that I think of him as a weak link. If I left Aiden behind, the others might think the same. Malachi had offered, but I greatly depended on his experience. In this situation, I felt that Xavier might actually be the weakest, having only had one meal since the battle had started and being so severely injured. Hawk was on the top of his game it seemed, after taking Evan's energy and healing. Walking along the length of the long rectangular room holding Evan's hand, I appreciated the others allowing me a moment to think without having to ask for it.

Turning back to my Guardians, I said, "Xavier, you will stay with Nathan and Evan when we go on our mission. Hannah is correct. We would be more convincing if we are a mixed group. I need Malachi's battle experience."

"Yes, sir," the two vampires replied simultaneously.

"Let's get to work finding out when this grand event is actually going down. While the rest of us do some data gathering, Hannah and Hawk need to get settled into their new living quarters. Jean, since you were such an immaculate host before, would you take them to the apartments on the other side of the lobby. One of them is Marie's, where she kept some things for if the weather got bad and she had to stay. It will probably suit Hannah well. Hannah, you might actually be able to find some clothes to change into. You and Marie are about the same size," I directed, relieved that I did not get any complaints from anyone.

"I would be delighted to do so Emil," Jean answered, leading the two vampires out of the music room.

"Where am I going to stay?" Nathan asked.

"With Evan and me, of course," I said, surprised. "We'll need to give you your own space. This could be your room, if you'd like. We can move our meetings to the living room. There is plenty of space in there."

"Really? This would be awesome! Jean said he would teach me violin and you can teach me guitar...this will be sweet!" he declared. I was thrilled he was so easily pleased.

"Lessons will have to wait, Nathan," I replied, hating to quash his enthusiasm.

"I know, I was just thinking," he said quietly.

"Hopefully not too long," I clarified. His smile was answer enough for me. I tousled his hair and pulled him into a one-arm hug. For Evan's benefit, I added, "Thanks for keeping an eye on my woman. I knew you were man enough to do it."

"Shut up Emil. He will just teach me everything I need to know about weapons and then I'll be able to take care of myself, so there," she said, stepping over to stand tall next to Nathan.

Looking at the two, I was astonished how the change had brought out an ageless quality, making Evan look a little younger, and making Nathan look older. There might be hope for him yet.

~~~Jean & Hawk~~~

Jean led Hawk and Hannah across the deserted lobby to the large door opposite Emil's apartment. He was acutely aware of eyes on his back, and he was certain they were not Hannah's. Unused to feeling uncomfortable in anyone's presence, Jean decided to find out more about the new female. He had heard a bit about her on his travels, but wanted her side of her story.

"Hannah, we haven't really had the opportunity to properly become acquainted with each other, given all the chaos these last few days. May I ask how you came to be in the Brethren's possession?" he asked.

"Your Guardian friend, Emil, brought me in several weeks ago. He found me alone in the woods, minding my own business. Apparently, he'd been sent by the Council on some false reports of me hunting where I shouldn't. I had the misfortune to run across Romley last year when I first got to the States from the Ukraine and mistook his generosity as kindness. You see, I am one of his earliest offspring. He made me when he traveled Eastern Europe, but left me when something better came along. I've managed to take care of myself most of the last two hundred years. Just my luck to run across him first off when I get to the States," Hannah explained.

"One of Romley's? Then do you know what is going on? Did he tell you anything?" Tourneau asked, eager for some enlightenment on how things had gone wrong so quickly.

"Don't you think I would have said something back there? I was in hiding because I disagreed with what he was doing. I'd run across some of the Newborns he'd created recently, the ones that act so odd. I was actually trying to follow one of them to see where they were kept when Isaac caught me. I played it like I was starving and destitute, so I could learn more. You know, you're the first one to actually listen to my story. I couldn't get a single member at the Enclave to talk to me. I guess I know why now," she concluded.

"But did you ever find out why the vampires he made are so odd, or what his plans were?" Tourneau asked again.

"I never found out the whole story. I just know that he had an accomplice who had some sort of supernatural power, and that Isaac felt like he would be able to control all of the Newborns' minds. He also thought they would be stronger," she answered, coming up to stand beside Tourneau where he stood in front of a door in the hallway off the lobby.

This door had a traditional lock on the door, and Jean tried it. The door swung open easily, as it was not locked. Inside was a feminine retreat that looked well lived in. He quickly got the impression that Emil's secretary may have spent more time here than she had let on.

"We'll have to get a better lock for you, so you can have your privacy, but do you think this will do?" Jean asked the blonde female, who had not followed him in.

"I suppose, until the human comes back. Maybe there is another place here. I don't want to just come in and take over," Hannah muttered, looking a bit disgruntled.

"We aren't keeping you here against your will. Emil is doing his best under the circumstances," Jean said defensively.

"I know, it's just someday I'd like to have a place of my own, with things to call my own. I've lived like a gypsy for so long." The yearning in Hannah's voice softened Jean slightly.

"Try to make due for now, we can figure something else out soon," he replied.

The blonde female reluctantly entered the small space and looked around. "I guess it'll do."

"Make yourself comfortable, and look for something suitable to wear tomorrow," Jean instructed, as he backed out of the apartment, nudging Hawk back as he did so.

Once the door was closed, Tourneau led the other male to the door at the end of the short hall. This door held a similar keypad as the others, and opened to the same numbers. This room was not finished as nicely as the others. It seemed it had been left as an afterthought. While there were furnishings, nothing had been decorated as the other apartments had. The room was a functional white on the walls, and still had thin, commercial carpeting on the floor.

"I'm sure we'll be able to get this finished to your liking soon enough, I hope you don't feel slighted," Tourneau told Hawk, as he let the other vampire walk by him into the space.

"This is fine, I don't need much. Don't really sleep, and hopefully I won't have to be here too long. I'm a bit like you and Emil. I've got my own place about an hour from here, I can go there when we get through this mess. Thanks though," Hawk said, taking a perfunctory tour of the rooms.

An awkward silence ensued as Hawk returned and stood face to face with Tourneau. Tourneau tried not to look into the golden hazel eyes of the male in front of him, thinking it was ridiculous to be noticing another so soon after the fiasco he'd barely escaped with Rafael. Averting his gaze from the mesmerizing eyes, he allowed them to roam around the room for a moment then was inexorably drawn back to Hawk. He admired how well Hawk's lower jaw had healed, how the scar he'd had from a past encounter with a silver blade was also gone. Roaming lower, Tourneau appreciated the broad muscular shoulders exposed by the white tank top that was Hawk's ever-present wardrobe staple above low-slung boot cut jeans. His ever-present black leather motorcycle jacket was still in Emil's Hummer.

Hawk shifted uncomfortably under the scrutiny. Clearing his throat, he shifted his feet restlessly. "What are you looking at?"

"Nothing. I mean, I'm looking at you, but I'm not looking at anything," Jean stuttered.

Hawk let out a low chuckle. He said, "I feel like a bug under a magnifying glass."

"I'm not...I was just noticing how well you've healed," Jean replied, wanting to be anywhere but alone with this male he was so aware of.

"I haven't even looked," Hawk said.

"You should. There's a mirror in the bathroom," Jean encouraged.

Shrugging, Hawk turned back and went into the small room between the living and bedrooms. Tourneau followed, eager to see Hawk's reaction. Hawk stood in front of the mirror, staring at his face, running his hand over his square jaw, turning side to side.

"I look the same as the last time I saw myself," he said flatly. "I only felt what had happened. I can't imagine what I looked like.

"It's probably best you didn't. It might have given you nightmares," Jean said, trying to offer support, but realizing too late that the words did not come out sounding like it. "I didn't mean it that way."

Meeting the golden gaze reflected in the mirror, Jean's gray eyes sparked silver. He placed a hand on Hawk's shoulder, noticing how the male tensed at the touch.

"Was I mistaken earlier? Did I not understand what you told Hannah, the looks you've been giving me all day?" Jean asked, starting to withdraw his hand from Hawk's firm skin.

Hawk quickly reached up with his left hand across his chest to capture Jean's hand and hold it in place. "No. You weren't mistaken. I've just never actually given in to these feelings before. If you hadn't noticed, I'd tried to overcompensate by being a man whore with the women."

Hawk's harsh laugh tugged at Jean's insides. With a wry laugh, he replied, "I might have noticed. I thought Hannah would be more to your liking."

"This whole disaster put many things in perspective for me. I thought I'd never see you again after you left; then when I might easily have been killed by Romley, or in the fire you and Emil set at the Enclave, I decided I was done pretending. I know it's probably too soon for you, but I'm not going to hide anymore. I want you." Hawk's answer came out raw and rushed, as if afraid if he didn't say it all, he wouldn't say anything.

Jean reached his other arm around Hawk's chest and pulled the shorter, stronger male back against him. "We both just need some time it sounds like. Time to heal and time to get to know each other."

Nodding, Hawk astonished Jean by turning around into a full embrace, holding tightly enough to be almost uncomfortable. Jean returned the hug, patting Hawk on the back with one hand. As Hawk drew back, Jean expected more awkwardness, remembering how hard it was to admit to others how he felt. He was surprised however when Hawk's mouth crashed into his and pressed into a passionate kiss. After a few moments, Jean closed his eyes and reveled in the pleasure, allowing himself to explore Hawk's cut body. When his hand came to rest on Hawk's ass, the embrace was broken suddenly.

Hawk looked embarrassed, and said, "One step at a time. I've only ever dreamt of this. I've not ever had another male's hands on me, or vice versa."

Ruefully smiling, Jean nodded his head, grasped Hawk by the nape of his neck and pulled him back in for another kiss. He let the other male go just as Hawk started to deepen the kiss.

"This isn't my first time, my friend. Don't push me. I might not stop," Jean warned. "We'd better gather Hannah and go back and find out what Emil is up to."

Jean turned and walked out of the apartment, leaving Hawk to adjust his jeans uncomfortably in the bathroom.

"Fuck," was all Jean heard from the bathroom as he went into the main hall.

~~~EMIL~~~

In my office, I checked the Internet for the date and time of the club opening. It was scheduled for the next night, Saturday. The opening events included a concert with a popular techno performer, an erotic dance troupe and of course, drink specials. Typical of Romley to serve the baser instincts of people. Armed with the information, I gathered with Malachi, Hawk and Aiden to plan surveillance, then with Tourneau and Hannah to discuss how we would blend in and not be spotted by the vampires that would invariably be in attendance.

Evan and Nathan were still in the music room, and I could hear her trying to pick out a tune on the piano. Nathan was plucking out a simple song on a guitar and the background noise strangely comforted me. For now Xavier was with our group, helping with strategy planning and offering up his advice. He was a strong strategist as well, and I highly valued his input.

Hannah had found some appropriate clothing for her to wear the following night, but the large males that would go could not fit into either my or Tourneau's clothing, so it was decided that they would go and buy suitable attire. I did not like having them leave the safety of my building, but knew we could not hole up here forever, and that they were all highly capable of taking care of themselves. Nathan also needed clothes. I had realized he'd been in the same shirt and jeans since he had come to us, so I asked Tourneau to take him to get some things as well. For that matter, all of the Guardians from the Enclave were without personal belongings, so I sent them all on a shopping excursion, pleased with my ability to get a few precious moments with Evan alone. I sent Hannah along, just to give her a sense of freedom. Their parting instructions were to feed and feed well in preparation for the upcoming fight.

As I piled the notes for the plans we had made to the side of my desk, Evan came to stand in the doorway. She leaned on the door frame casually and I felt her watching me as I finished picking up mail packages I had ignored for several days and put them in a basket on the credenza behind me.

"This is so crazy," Evan murmured.

"What part? You being a vampire? Or maybe us having a baby? No, wait, me suddenly being in charge of the Guardians?" I answered sarcastically.

"No. You just puttering around in your office like any John Doe off the street, when you ARE the leader of a notorious group of vampire enforcers, and the father of our baby. Something so simple seems out of place in the last few days of blood, war and destruction," she replied sincerely.

Coming around the corner of my desk, I sauntered over to where Evan was still propped against the door frame. As I stood in front of her, taking her all in, I couldn't help but laugh at her observation.

"You don't know how much I would rather just be a man, with no responsibilities other than to love you, Evan. I pray soon we can put this madness behind us and peace will return to us. I know you probably won't believe it, but I haven't seen this much action with the Guardians in decades. And nothing to this scale in several." I pulled her to me by her hips, pressing as close to her as her rounding belly would allow. Whispering into her ear, I said, "I've managed to send everyone away for awhile. Are you up to some alone time?"

Evan smiled seductively, leaning in close as she spoke, "You've sent the kids to the store, huh? What's the saying? While the cat's away, the mice will play?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.7K 1.5K 24
"Keith and I watched in awe and joy as the inexplicable happened. Nikki was alive! My mate was back! Then suddenly, those brown eyes I loved so much...
1.4M 44.5K 60
HIGHEST RANKING IN WEREWOLF : #43# 30/8/2016 I was enveloped in strong warm arms that lifted me off the ground 'a-Alpha?' a trembling voice started...
16.9M 593K 67
"Do you really want me, all of me? I'm not like other werewolves or vampires. I can't mark you, I can't fully shift into wolf form, I have a beast in...
1.8M 49.3K 31
[Highest ranking #16] "Mine" the guy in front of us lowly growled. His voice made me melt inside, but yet I gripped Jakes arm because I was kinda sca...