A Quarter Mile Away

By Claireaabell

Ranked #01 for Teen Fiction X4 *A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY!* WHS Story of the Month Winner: Teen Fiction The Fi... More

Coming soon!
Must read before you begin the story
A Quarter Mile Away - Soundtrack
Spotify?? Updated
Reviews
Prologue
1 - Because Of You
2 - Love Runs Out
3 - One Step At A Time
4 - Domino
5 - Photograph
6 - We Don't Have To Dance
7 - Unwritten
8 - Roads Untraveled
9 - The Sun Is Rising
10 - Firestarter
11 - Hymn For The Weekend
12 - Counting Stars
13 - Company
14 - Give Me Love
15 - The Heart Wants What It Wants
16 - Me And My Broken Heart
17 - Umbrella
18 - Jealous
19 - Cool Kids
Curiosity killed the cat - Updated
20 - That's My Girl
21 - Rockabye
22 - Crazy
23 - Treat You Better
Woohoo!!
24 - Turn Around
25 - This Is What You Came For
26 - Tunnel Vision
Holy Shiznit!!!
27 - Family Portrait
28 - Let Me Love You
29 - Untouched
30 - Left Outside Alone
31 - Confident
32 - Talking To The Moon
33 - No Air
34 - Dont Be So Hard On Yourself
35 - Love The Way You Lie - Part 1
36 - Love The Way You Lie - Part 2
37 - I Don't Wanna Live Forever
Epilogue
What now?
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter 2.0
Issues with chapters?
Full Speed Ahead
Im back!!!

38 - Do You Remember

186K 7.4K 2.2K
By Claireaabell

A/N: We are ranked #523 in Teen Fiction! Woohoo! Please help me spread the word about my book! Tell all your friends who you think will enjoy it!

* * *

Please listen to Do You Remember - Jarryd James for this chapter.

* * *

"One cookie and cream milkshake for Ma'Lady"

I reached out and wiggled my fingers in excitement as Nikki giggled before giving me the milkshake.

"You're a lifesaver Nikki"

"What are best friends for right?" She said as she playfully winked at me. I patted the side of my bed so she could lay down next to me. I wasn't surprised Nikki found out about the incident, apparently she was with Isaac when he had called me and heard the outburst between him and Noah. She explained to me that Jaxon had called Isaac asking if I was ignoring everyone's messages or just his. Isaac found it strange because I've always responded to messages hence why he rang me, the rest is history.

"So have you spoken with Jaxon?"

I let out a sigh as I fiddled with the straw of my milkshake, "I saw him yesterday, he was completely normal with me but we haven't spoken about US. I didn't really get to actually speak with him though"

"You didn't tell the group about me being in here did you?"

Nikki shook her head and smiled at me "Of course not, it's not my news to tell"

I saw her fidgeting with her milkshake and I knew she wanted to ask me something, "What's wrong Nikki?"

She let out a whimpered sigh as she turned to look at me with pure sadness "Please don't leave."

I was supposed to leave before Noah had found me, logically I should move because he obviously knows where I live but at the same time, I'm tired of running. I'm tired of being afraid of Noah, he uses my fear against me and I've had enough. Besides, I'm sure now that he's in custody I'd be much safer.

"I'm not going anywhere"

* * *

"What do you mean 'He's gone', how can he be gone!?" I screamed out in horror

Isaac shrugged guiltily, "I tried to stop him but he got the better of me. This is all my fault"

I shook my head in anger, "This is not your fault Isaac! Why haven't the cops been able to locate him?"

"He just vanished into thin air"

Noah was always good at disappearing without a trace, that's why I've always been so afraid of him. I lowered my head in defeat as I tried to think of my next move.

"What are you thinking?"

I looked up at Isaac as I tried to decide if my next move was a good idea or not, "I need to find a new place if I'm going to stay"

He stared in shock before his smile slowly started to appear on his face, "You're staying!? Thank God!"

"Stay with me!"

I creased my eyebrows in shock before shaking my head, "No, we can't do that to you and what happens when you bring Nikki over?"

"No, I meant, let's find a new place for the three of us. You, me and Alena"

It warmed my heart, I knew right then and there just how lucky I was to have Isaac in my life. I don't know how I would have survived without him, so I smiled in excitement before nodding. He laughed in excitement before hugging me, "I'm gonna start searching for some places"

So Isaac went off on his adventure to look for reasonable places that were within our budget, well, my budget, while I spoke with my landlord. I told her the truth about why I needed to move, I didn't feel safe there knowing Noah knew where I lived, luckily she understood. She always knew this wasn't permanent, that's why I wanted a month to month contract with her. What I didn't expect was for her to willingly give me my bond back even though I didn't give her enough notice.

I had no worries telling Alena about this news when she came to visit me, because she already saw Isaac as a brother. Besides when she found out that we were staying in this town, she was more than excited.

Now I needed to speak with Bianca and pray that I still had a job even though I kind of quit in my thank you letter I had sent her. I stared at my phone for a good ten minutes, nervous to call her. It was now or never, grabbing my phone I decided to just call her.

"Avery! Honey! I'm so glad you're okay!"

"I'm good. Thanks again for looking after Alena for me"

"Anytime honey! Now you rest up and when you're feeling better let me know so you can come back to work"

"I still have a job?!" I asked, shocked by the news

"Of course. Unless you're still leaving town which I hope you don't"

I let out a sigh of relief, "I'm staying right here. No more running. Thank you Bianca"

"I'm so proud of you! I'll see you soon"

* * *

The door to my room opened slowly, I was about to ask who it was until I saw Jaxon peep his head through, he smiled when he saw that I was already looking at him. He walked in and placed white roses on my bedside table before sitting at the end of the bed.

"Hi" I whispered.

He let out a sad sigh, "Hey"

I haven't had the chance to have a proper conversation with him, the worst part is I remember everything that night I was shot. I don't know whether to be happy or upset that he chose the worst time to tell me he loves me, but then again I wasn't any better myself.

"Truce?"

I watched and waited for him to respond, he let out a chuckle before nodding. He didn't attempt to move closer to me, hold my hand or even kiss me. He looked like he was having an internal battle with himself.

"Are you okay?"

He slightly nodded.

"Can you come closer please? Why are you so far away from me?"

He let out a sigh before getting up to move closer to me, I watched as he sat down, still facing me.

"So I've decided to stay and finally face the music" I stated. Pleading that he would get out of whatever funk he was in.

"That's good"

I let out a frustrated sigh as I slightly sat up to face him, grabbing his hand and holding it tightly.

"I want to face it with you. I wanna start over Jaxon, no more lies, secrets. Nothing! I wanna go full speed ahead with you!" I pleaded

He lifted my hand up to give it a soft kiss. He leaned over my body, placing his right palm on the bed before leaning in and kissing me softly on my lips. I let out a content sigh as we deepened the kiss, slowly running my fingers through his hair. When you're kissing someone, you can feel what kind of kiss it is, whether it's slow and meaningful, lovingly, lustful or..... a finally goodbye kiss. I could feel it in his lips, he was saying goodbye to me, just that thought made the silent tears slowly fall down my face as he slowly pulled away from me.

"I'm sorry, I can't do this" he whispered

"You mean us." I clarified

He nodded before lowering his head.

"You mean you won't do this!" I said through clenched teeth.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I tried to find the words.

"Why? We love each other don't we? Can't you just give me a chance?" I tried to remain calm but you could hear the begging in my voice. My heart was beating faster and faster as I waited for him to respond.

He got up from the bed before leaning over me and kissing me softly on my lips. There it was again, I could feel it, this was definitely goodbye kiss, it wasn't a reuniting one.

"I can't be with you. There's too much shit that's already happened"

I watched as he got up to walk to the door. "So you're just going to give up on us?" I forced the words out in-between sobs. He just turned to look at me once more before walking out the door. I couldn't believe the fact that after everything we've been through, he's giving up on us now, giving up on me.

I got what I deserved, I knew that. I was repeatedly lying to him, I never took the initiative and told him I was in danger, I never opened up to him. I'm the reason he's walked away. I'm not worth another chance.

I laid back down on my bed and allowed myself to cry, I needed to get it all out. I refused to have it bottled in. I don't know how long I cried for but I cried about everything. I cried about what Noah did to me, my financial situation, Jaxon, Drew and my dad.

I finally let it all out.

Noah was right, no-one else will love me because of the baggage I carry around with me.

* * *

The next day my surgeon came to check up on me to see how I was doing, all signs pointed up and he gave the authority for me to be discharged. He did warn me about the scars on my arm, they weren't going away but I still had them bandaged up, I refused to look at them. I haven't looked at them since I saw Noah walk up to me with the knife.

Isaac was meeting up with a real estate agent so he couldn't pick me up, I was more than happy to catch a taxi but when I was walking to the front, I didn't expect to see Drew standing there with Alena.

"Group hug!!!" Alena screamed out

I had to laugh at them as they walked up to me to give me a group hug, this was probably the most gentlest group hug I've ever received. It was quite funny to the eye, they had both jogged up to me before slowly wrapping their arms around me.

"Ready to go?"

I nodded as he took my hand to help me into the car.

"Let's go eat burgers!!" Alena screamed out from the backseat. Drew turned in his seat to smile at Alena, how about tomorrow we go, when Avery isn't so tired?"

She nodded in complete joy, "Sounds good!"

"Let's go home" with that said, I looked back one last time at the hospital where all my tears were made and left. From this day forward, I refused to cry anymore. Wellll I am definitely going to try my hardest not to cry.

It was time I lived my life for me, I wasn't going to let fear or secrets hold me back anymore.

It was time that the real Avery finally made an appearance. I was ready to embrace who I really was.

A fighter and a damn good racer.

* * *

Can we just take a moment for William Singe. Any fans here? I'm bloody obsessed with him!!!

If anyone likes to create banners or Book covers, PM me! I'd love to see what you could create for A Quarter Mile Away!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305K 9K 61
"I wouldn't mind watching you. Maybe we could tan together this summer." He suggested. "Without having tan lines." I could feel the smirk playing on...
310K 9.6K 29
COMPLETED, CURRENTLY EDITING/PARTIALLY REWRITING (please excuse the mess. Some of the plot is being changed so there might be a few areas that get co...
208K 4K 38
"baby stand up.." I heard my mom whisper as she pushes my hair out of my face. "You need to stop waiting for someone to rescue you." She sighs seeing...
1.9K 225 22
Avery Turner is meant for perfection. Perfection in this case, is very academic and not social or emotional. No one has to know that though. For ever...