Dragon Eyes

Od cradle_kid

"Just because something is considered a well accepted fact, doesn't necessarily make it true" Dragons are vil... Více

Chapter 1. The Great Mountain.
Chapter 2. The Woodsman Family.
Chapter 3. The Town.
Chapter 4. The Argument.
Chapter 5. Arrested.
Chapter 6. Trouble.
Chapter 7. The Dragon.
Chapter 8. The Dragon's Cave.
Chapter 9. Down the Mountain and Up Again.
Chapter 10. Names and Places
Chapter 11. Princess Collyn.
Chapter 12. A Kidnapping.
Chapter 13. Cave Life.
Chapter 14. Midnight Meeting.
Chapter 15. A Sudden Downpour.
Chapter 16. Royal Secrets.
Chapter 17. Faith and Plans.
Chapter 18. To Find Help.
Chapter 19. The Rescue Plan.
Chapter 20. Rescue.
Chapter 22. Confronted.
Chapter 23. Wrongs Righted.
Chapter 24. Goodbyes.

Chapter 21. Regroup.

703 67 7
Od cradle_kid

Chapter 21.

Regroup.

Caderyn flew to Eadberht's study and Lynwood slipped into the window. He was relieved to see Eadberht was sitting and waiting for him.

"I am glad you made it," Eadberht said in a breathless voice. "We only just arrived minutes ago. You can be sure, however, that the king will come here within the hour."

"What are we going to do?" Lynwood questioned. "Where is my father and the prince?"

A slight smile came to Eadberht's face. "I have a secret set of rooms in this castle. The men are all hiding there. I came here to wait for you and show you were to go. We must hurry, however, for you father is quite concerned."

Standing up, Eadbhert went to a cupboard and with some difficulty pushed it away. He tapped a bit on the floor, lifted a floorboard, then pulled a key from his pocket and after a bit of fiddling in the little hole in the floor the wall suddenly moved and proved to be a door to secret passage. Eadberht stepped inside and motioned for Lynwood to followed.

Once inside Eadberht shut the door and they were engulfed in total darkness. Lynwood grunted with annoyance at the fact that there was no torch to light the way.

"There are stairs just ahead of us," Eadberht warned. "So be careful." Together they carefully began descending the narrow stair case, holding on to the wall for some support. Down, down, down they went, nearly tripping a few times but managing to keep from falling over. Lynwood suddenly collided int Eadberht, not realizing the man had stopped.

Voice could be heard somewhere ahead of them.

"So what are we going to do now?" Someone was asking. "Eadberht just left us unexpectedly."

"I don't know what you are planning," Lynwood recognized his father's voice. "But I somehow have to find my son."

Eadberht let out a chuckle and Lynwood heard the snap of a door unlocking. Lynwood heard the door squeak open and they were in a room, lighted with a few torches. The escaped prisoners all sat together in the center of the room.

"Don't worry, Father," he called as he ran out of the dark stairway. "I'm right here."

Lyndon leapt to his feet in shock. "Where...where...where did you come from?" He sputtered.

"From Eadberht's study," Lynwood replied, "Caderyn dropped me off there."

"Who?"

"Caderyn," Eadberht kindly explained. "The dragon."

"The dragon?" Lyndon's eyes widened. "You mean the one who kidnapped him?"

"Oh he didn't kidnap me," Lynwood said. "He was just afraid that I might get hurt. He is very protective of me."

"You know that dragon?" Tristan lifted an eyebrow.

"Sure I do. Sofia and I have been staying with him ever since you were arrested father."

"You were what?" Lyndon wasn't sure if he was hearing correctly.

"I'll explain later," Lynwood stated, feeling very tired and not in the mood to go into all the details. Lyndon walked closer to his son and putting his hand on the boy's shoulder, gazed at him.

Lynwood had lost some weight, he had a tired look in his eyes, and his clothes were threadbare and dirty. It was obvious the boy had had it rough since the time of the arrest.

"What have I put you through?" Lyndon softly whispered.

Lynwood, despite being in public, put his arms around his father. "We have been fine, Father. Safe, and warm, and dry, and looked after by one of the most powerful creatures in the world. We were only worried about you, but you are safe."

Lyndon smiled and pressed the boy to his chest, trying hard not to cry. "I'm sorry I ever hit you."

"Ah," Lynwood laughed. "I deserved it."

"You spoke of my sister," Wilheard suddenly said. Lynwood turned from his father's embrace to gaze at the prince. Now that there was light, Lynwood could get a better view of the young man. He was pretty tall, and his clothes were rather musty from the dampness of the prison. Lynwood had to admit the prince had the bearing of a king. His hair was long and black and in a terrible knotted mess. His eyes were dark and in many ways he resembled Collyn; an older, manlier version of Collyn.

"Yes, Your Highness," Lynwood said with a small bow. "She is with my sister in the dragon's cave."

It was obviously not a satisfactory answer to the poor brother. His eyes widened with fear. "Is she really safe there?"

"Safer than any other place I could possibly put them. The cave it is higher than any man has ever climbed."

"And what about the threat the dragon might pose while you are gone?"

"With all due respect Your Highness, the dragon poses no threat to them at all. At the moment he is on the roof of the castle, though I do not expect he shall stay there long."

"What of other dragons?" Wilheard argued.

"There are no other dragons. At least in all the time we have been living there we never saw any."

Wilheard scowled. "So two girls alone in a cave somewhere in a mountain is your idea of safe?"

"Safer than two girls out in the woods exposed to the elements. Or two girls at the mercy of the King's guards. Where would have hidden them, Your Highness, if you had been in my situation?"

"Oh I would have killed the dragon once he had taken me to his cave, that way I would have felt safe."

"In other words you would have betrayed him?"

"Betraying a dragon isn't betrayal," Wilheard coldly pointed out. "It is simple eliminating the possibility of the dragon attacking you."

Lynwood shook his head and looked straight into Wilheard's eyes. "Dragons are not what we think they are. They are noble and honest creatures, it is just the constant attacks of us humans have made them hate us and as such they attack and plunder."

"How do you know that for a fact?"

"Because I have lived with a dragon for this past week. There is more, Your Highness, you owe this dragon your freedom. It if had not been for him you would not have gotten very far from the prison."

"Boys," Eadberht cut in. "We can discuss dragons later. There is a more serious task at hand. That of getting Wilheard on the throne."

"Oh, what is the hope, Lord Eadberht," Wilheard turned in despair. "We are but ten men and Uncle Farran has an entire army. We had better just find Collyn and flee the country."

"That is the coward's way out!" Lynwood snapped. "For a man who boasted of being brave enough to go kill dragons you have no true courage, Your Highness."

Lyndon's eyes shot up at the reaction of his son. Since when did Lynwood become so outspoken when in public?

Wilheard inhaled angrily at these words.

"And yes," Lynwood added. "That dragon got away. You shot him in the eyebrow and he flew off. Then, only a few weeks later, he returned to save your life."

Now Wilheard's eyes filled with shock. "That...that...are you...how?"

"I found the dragon, sire, wounded and treated him. He has been my friend ever since. He has put aside his hate to help you. We have all sacrificed to help you, and you in return only want to run off? Is that really the sort of man we are putting on the throne? Can you tell me you will be better than your Uncle."

Wilheard let out a smirk. "You have never even met my Uncle."

"I did not, but I have met you and since I don't know your uncle and I am not very impressed with what I have seen of you, I'm not sure who I prefer on the throne now."

"Boys!" Eadberht got in between the two of them. "I said this is no time for argument. We cannot be divided, we must stand as one."

"So what are you going to do, Lynwood, Dragon's Friend?"

"Caderyn and I are going to put you on the throne even if it is the last thing we do!" Lynwood retorted, looking up at Wilheard, his green eyes serious and determined. "Because although you have no hope, I have faith, and I pray it will not disappoint me. Now, Lord Eadberht, what is the plan?"

Lord Eadberht, glad they had returned to buisness, allowed his features to relax. "I suggest we all get a good night's sleep, and tomorrow we will discuss. The King will search my castle, but we will be safe as long as we remain here."

"Very well," Lynwood nodded. "Then you sleep here, I have to go. I'll see you in the morning." With those words he turned towards the door.

"Wait!" Three pairs of hands grabbed the boy's shoulders. Lynwood turned to see Lord Eadberht, his father, and Tristan all holding on to him.

"Where are you going?" Lyndon demanded. "You can't go out there. The king will be here with his soldiers any minute."

"I know," Lynwood replied. "Which is why I must hurry off. Caderyn will never leave without me, but we can't have him on the room when King Farran arrives."

"No!" Lyndon shook his head. "You are not going to expose yourself like that. You could get caught!"

"Father, I will be sleeping next to a dragon,"

"That is part of the reason I am worried"

Lynwood let out a soft smile and put his hand over his father's. "I shall be safe, Father, I know what I am doing. Please, trust me, I've made it this far." He brushed the hands off of him and departed, shutting the door behind him.

"I'll go lock the secret passage after him," Eadberht said. "The rest of you settle down. There is hardtack in the chests and water in the jugs."

"Did you notice something strange thing about Lynwood?" Tristan asked Lyndon as they went to find the food.

"Something strange?" Lyndon shook his head. "Everything about Lynwood is strange. It's like I don't even recognize my own son. Standing up to the prince in public. You know my boy, he runs from any sort of company and never talks to anyone if he can help it."

"That too," Tristan agreed. "But we both know that Lynwood always said that dragons were evil and had to be killed on sight, what is he doing protecting one then?"

Lyndon shrugged. He didn't have an answer to that question.

***

King Farran was livid!

"How could you manage to let them go?" He shouted at the terrified prison guards. "You fools! You complete and utter idiots! They just walked away from you without so much as a scratch! And Eadberht! Eadberht against me! I should have known! Like father like son...or should I say like son like father"

"It wouldn't have been like that sir if it wouldn't have been for the dragon," The Captain of the Guards stammered, looking at the floor to avoid the king's icy gaze. "He just appeared out of nowhere and attacked us."

"Out of nowhere? OUT OF NOWHERE!!!!"

"Yes, sire."

"That dragon!" King Farran thumped his fist on the table. "Where, where did he come from? And that boy, that boy who controls him, where did he find him? They've supposed to be extinct. They went extinct long, long ago!"

"Perhaps they have just been hiding?" One soldier dared to suggest.

"FOR FIVE HUNDRED YEARS????"

Everyone took a step back.

"How, how can my entire army be so careless." Farran kept on fuming. "Right from the start when they let the boy get away with the letter. NOW WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?????"

A soft cough sounded out and everyone bowed at the appearance of the queen in the throne room.

"You are all excused," Rohesia said in her smooth voice. "It has been a long night for us all. Captain, have a fresh set of troops search the castle of Lord Eadbhert and see if there is anything to be found."

"Yes, Your Majesty," the Captain said and with a deep bow all the soldiers departed.

"With all due respect, Dear Husband," Rohesia reproached. "You must learn to control your temper. All is not lost. Wilheard may have escaped with his rag tag set of plotters, but what can they hope to accomplish?"

Those words were the final straw. King Farran's face turned a deep purple and he whirled around to face his wife. "I'LL TELL YOU WHAT THEY CAN ACCOMPLISH!" He exploded. "Why they could sneak up into my palace at night and kill me! They could have their dragon attack our palace and with a few carefully planned moments take over the throne."

"Then our greatest threat is not Wilheard," Rohesia calmly replied, swishing her skirts and sitting down on her throne. "But rather the dragon, and that little boy who rides him. We must get rid of them."

"But how? HOW? Killing dragons isn't just something that can be easily done. So far none of my soldiers have succeeded. How do you plan to do it?"

Here Rohesia smiled. "You need look no furthur than your own son to answer that question."

Farran took a deep breath. Rohesia summoned a servant.

"Send for Prince Oliver immediately," she ordered.

Within fifteen minutes a sleepy, bedraggled Oliver stood before his mother and father.

"What is it now?" He groaned.

"Oliver," Rohesia purred. "Tell you father about how to kill a dragon. We have to get rid of one, you know."

"The one who is causing all this trouble?"

"The very same."

Oliver yawned and turned to King Farran.

"You don't know, Father?"

"Know what?" Farran growled.

"Of the dragon's soft spot?"

"Obviously not." Farran snapped. "If I knew we would'nt be having this conversation."

Oliver gave another yawn. "It is well known that every creature on this earth has a weak spot, and once you know what that weak spot is, you will know how to kill the creature. With the dragon, it is his eyes. You have to have a very good aim in order to get them, but once you have, the dragon is at your mercy."

"Why his eyes?"

"Because the dragon relies very much on his eyesight, he can see nearly ten times better than you can and that is why he is hard to aim at. They can see in the dark as well as in the light, their sharp eyesight makes it easy for them to determine what sort of man is aiming at them, what sort of weapon he has and what is the best course of action to take. However, if you have blinded the dragon in at least one eye, he loses part of his eyesight and becomes disoriented and lost. If you wait, he will pull himself back together, but if you can strike fast enough and hit his other eye then you have blinded the dragon and he is fully at your mercy. Once the dragon is blind, you must drive an arrow or a sword straight through his heart. That is the only way to kill him."

"So if I understand correctly," King Farran carefully stated. "The hard part is getting the dragon in the eye."

"Yes, for the dragon knows of his weak spot and is careful, besides, getting a dragon in the eye is not an easy task, one has to have a sharp eye and be very, very good at aiming. Poor Wilheard was quite a sorry shooter. I think it just might be the same dragon."

"There is no point speculating on that," Rohesia pointed out. "I don't care about that part. We just have to worry about getting the dragon this time, once and for all."

King Farran walked slowly back to his throne and slumped in it. "Blind the dragon, kill the dragon, kill the boy who rides him, kill Wilheard and the rest of his crew, find Collyn and kill her too and that is the end with them all.. You know what the worst part of this is? You have to do the hard part first."

"Ah, Farran," Rohesia shook her head. "It is always like that."

Farran glanced over at his wife. "And all because of a silly letter," he mumbled. Reaching into his pocket he pulled out the much hated white envelope and tossed it on the table. "How are we going to find them, my love?"

"Like any hunstman," Rohesia replied. "Lure them with a trap."

"What will we use as bait."

Rohesia let out a little giggle. "We will use what they want the most, my dear husband, we shall use you!"

Engrossed in their planning, neither of them saw Oliver secretly pocket the letter his father had thrown on the table and depart from the room.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

136K 6.9K 48
((A/N)) If you haven't read "Lycan King" you should definitely read it for a better understanding of "Lycan Blood." or you can just read this book an...
22.5K 484 47
life after voldemorts victory. What would you do , when the son of the most evil wizard ever setting foot on the wizardingworld has his eyes on you...
442 2 34
Prequel to the unfinished story, A Dragon's Adventure, this is how humans and wings coexist peacefully and how Lylian came to be. As a young dragone...
1.2K 107 31
"Long ago, there was a time when everything was filled with magic." My grandfather began, "Where you could feel it dancing around on the mid day bree...