Chapter 14. Midnight Meeting.

Chapter 14.

Midnight Meeting.

The sun was soon completely gone and the Northern Mountain Range was covered by a blanket of darkness. The moon began to make its journey across the sky and Lynwood decided it was time to go over to the broken bridge.

"You wait here," he told the dragon. "I'll come back soon."

Caderyn was obviously not happy with this idea. He knew the forest was a dangerous place at night, filled with creatures who would be sure to see Lynwood as supper. He gave a low growl and shook his head.

"I can't take you with me," Lynwood argued. "Elaine will be sure to have a fit, she'll die from fright. You wait here until I get back."

Caderyn gave Lynwood a frank look that seemed to say, "I am older and wiser than you, trust me."

Lynwood figured arguing with a dragon was not the smartest thing to do, so he climbed up and hoped Caderyn knew what he was doing. Caderyn flew back down the mountain until at last he descended and motioned for Lynwood to get off. Lynwood reconized the surroundings and figured they were pretty near the broken bridge.

"I'll be back as soon as I can," he told Caderyn. "But if you want to stick around so close don't move, you'll start bending the trees and Elaine will notice something is wrong."

The yellow/green eyes glinted in annoyance. After having lived on this earth for eighty seven years, Caderyn couldn't believe a human child was lecturing him on how to remain undected in the woods. Lynwood failed to notice Caderyn's less than grateful attitude towards his advice and made his way towards his meeting point. The night wind rustled through the threes and rocked the tall pines from side to side. Owls hooted from above him and in the distance Lynwod could hear the howling of wolves. He was suddenly very glad that Caderyn was not too far away, being out alone in the forest at night was extremely dangerous. At last he got to the edge of the woods were a small stream cut across the ground, dividing the forest from the main road. There was an old, broken, rotting bridge built across the stream, over which two planks had been added on. It was a sort of cheap attempt at mending the bridge without actually fixing it. Lynwood caught sight of Elaine standing in the shadows, holding something in her hand. He whistled softly to catch her attention. She jumped a little and looked around. Noticing Lynwood, she motioned for him to remain where he was and cautiously crossed the bridge to his side of the stream. She placed a bundle on the ground before turning to him.

"Keep your voice low," she told him. "It is still very unsafe. How are you and Sofia? Are you still living in the cave?"

"Yes ma'am," Lynwood replied.

"How is Sofia's ankle?"

"It is better, I think. Though if she walks on it or stands for too long it still hurts. I still make compress for her, using the stuff in the bottle that you gave me."

"I am glad to hear that. I'm afraid I have no good tidings for you, Lynwood. You and your sister will have to stay in the mountains for quite some time. There is no chance of you coming home in the near future."

"But what of Father and Tristan, is there any hope of them coming back?"

"I'm afraid not."

"Do you know why they were taken away?"

"Something to do with plotting against the king."

"Plotting against the king!" Lynwood gasped in horror. "But, but that is impossible! Father was nothing but a humble woodsman."

"I am afraid it is the truth," Elaine sadly shook her head. "I told Tristan so many times to stay out of politics, but he wouldn't listen. Neither would your father and now look at what it has gotten them into." Elaine wiped a tear from her eyes. "I suppose they found that letter, they knew your father had it."