House Of Cards

By uunreal

"'Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it.' So here I am, doin... More

1. "To what do I owe this pleasure, Lauren?"
2. "I'm still looking forward to hearing your tragically heartbreaking story."
3. "I think swamp water is a perfectly cheap alternative to tea."
4. "Lauren, your fans are waiting."
6. "Oh no, fuck no."
7. "I didnt mean it."
8. "Si, mami."
9.Champagne Supernova/No1 Party Anthem/Call It Fate, Call It Karma/Midnight Zone
10. Reverie
11. "Are you actually Lauren or are you here to kill me?"
12. "I find all of you cute."
13. "You should get that checked out, Lauren."
14. "Our little secret."
15. "We tried to hotbox the room, sorry."
16. "You deserve happiness."
17. "Would you date a student?"
18. "They don't know about us."
19. "Act on the temptation."
20. "You can't deny that something is there."
21."Anything can change its course."
22. "Nevermind blows me away."
23."Hows the honeymoon going?"
24. "Passion is the sexiest thing I could ever see."
25. "Hey, big head."
26. "So what's the plan, baby?"
27. "You're really hot when you use legal terms."
28. "Go fish."

5. "What's your favourite quote?"

11.3K 493 388
By uunreal

Don't forget, you're paying! ;)

Camila so graciously texted to remind me of our lunch plans and that I had lost our bet the previous time we went out. A couple of weeks ago, when we went out for coffee, Camila had bet that the waitress was hitting on me. Me, being my stubborn self, decided she definitely wasn't. I now owe Camila lunch.

"If I knew we would both be early, I wouldn't have texted you. But I'm glad to know you had no intention of replying." She teased, pointing down at my phone that was sticking out of my sweater pocket.

"I was going to answer once I got us a table, I wanted to make you sweat." I countered and she responded by rolling her eyes, a slight smirk visible at the end.

Camila followed me into the small café. Cafés had slowly kinda become our thing. Or at least I hope it has. It seems to have become our go-to. With Camila's busy schedule and my classes, cafés were an easy, convenient option; even if we had to wait until Camila had the period after lunch off to give us adequate time.

"Did you call her?" Camila asked as we scouted out a table.

"Who?" I asked, puzzled, making my way to a small table in the corner by a large window.

"The waitress from the bet you lost."

"Ha, ha, ha," I exaggerated. "No I didn't." In fact, I threw her number in the trash on the way out.

"Wasn't your type?" Camila asked, sliding into her seat. I took my place across from her.

"I wouldn't know, I didn't pay enough attention." I shrugged.

"You're with someone." Camila stated more than asked.

"No," I responded maybe a little too quickly. "I just wasn't paying attention to her."

Camila nodded in understanding, her confused face contradicted the action, though.

"I used to go café hoping in New Orleans." I revealed to her.

"I could see you doing that. Did you go with a specific person or was it spontaneous?" I ran my fingers through my hair.

"I used to go with my girlfriend at the time, if you could even call her that."

"Were you guys together for a long time or?" Camila asked. I could tell she was trying to figure out if she was overstepping in any way.

"We were never really together, it's a long story but we saw each other for about two years."

"Wow." Camila answered and all I could do was nod in agreement.

"I much prefer you, though. She lacked the sarcastic, witty comments that you're able to dish out so easily." I offered, trying to lighten the conversation.

"I can't help it; I'm hilarious." Camila responded, picking up her menu and sitting back in her seat. I subtly watched for a few moments before picking up my own menu. Everything she did was done so swiftly and with a degree of elegance, for a lack of better words. It was enthralling to see.

After a couple of minutes and both of us deciding on our meals, I was the first one to rekindle the conversation.

"What's your favourite quote?"

"If anyone else was asking, it would be a really random question but considering it's your, there's probably some philosophical, psychological reason for it."

"I don't know if I should be flattered or offended." I said.

"Go for flattered." She smiled. "I think mine would be 'This this above all; to thine own self be true.'."

"That's Shakespeare." I recognized the quote.

Camila nodded. "Do you know which play?"

"Hamlet."

"Yeah," She nodded once more. "Which is extremely ironic considering I'm an insanely insecure person."

"Why do you like it?"

"I guess I just agree that you need to put yourself and your own truths first in life. Even though I may not always do that, I think your happiness should be the primary thing to consider when you make decisions. I just think staying true to yourself acts as a foundation. Everything else is built after. If you spend your life doing things for other people, I really think it's going to be a long, submissive life."

Now, I didn't say anything right after but the small curve of the corner of my lips and my blatant staring may have said enough.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She said, avoiding my gaze.

"I just really like that answer. I'm pleasantly surprised." I explained.

"What, you thought I was going to say 'YOLO'?"

I laughed.

"No, I didn't know what you were going to say."

"What about you, what's your favourite quote?"

"It's Gandhi," I toyed with the ends of my napkin. "'Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it.'."

"Explain, and try to blow me away." We both laughed.

"I don't know if I have a really good explanation, you could go and build 10 schools in a developing country and it would help a ton of student but when you die is it really going to matter? What about when they die? In thousands of years when the earth is gone is it going to matter? No, it won't. But it's important because it'll matter now.  It'll matter for those kids for the time they're alive. It's so incredibly important that you do all of it because, even if it's a drop in the ocean, the ocean is solely made up of drops. It's about right now, not in ten or ten thousand years." I tried.

"So it's the little things that matter?"

"No," I paused. "I don't know." I corrected. "It's like if you go to Kenya or Nicaragua and wait to see the sunset, as if it's any more significant there than it is here. Sure, it's nice to look at and you can brag about having seen it after, but the next morning it'll be gone and it won't have meant a thing. We put significance to things that ultimately mean nothing in the long run but it also makes me question if significance is just a human construct. Is anything really important?"

Camila seemed confused and honestly, I was too.

"I don't have an answer," I continued. "I think that's why I like the quote, because it's inexplicable in a way and it challenges me. I can't figure it out and I love that. There's something so pleasing about not knowing. I like having to constantly question the truths, like you mentioned, in your life."

Camila nodded. "Even if you have those truths and are prioritizing them, you need to keep digging deeper. I think that's what you're doing and I really like that, it's commendable, admirable even."

"I didn't blow you away but-"

"No," Camila interrupted. "You did, I know I'm going to go home and it's going to eat me alive." She joked.

"Don't spend too much time on it." I warned, having learned from experience.

The conversation turned into light conversation that was pretty pleasant. We talked a little more about her job and the responsibilities she's actually has. Camila filled me in on what I missed in the last five years.

With how casual the conversation was, I kept wondering if it was weird for Camila to be out with me like this on such a platonic level. She still was my student teacher at one point. I mean, sure, I was crushing on her uber hard, but I was also treating her like a friend, as if the last five years were equivalent to a lifetime and she was never my superior.

The last thing I would want is for Camila to be going out with me like this out of pity or as thanks for coaching the softball team. As much as I'd like to think it was because of a genuine interest in me (platonic or not), that may not be the case.

"Camila, why are you here right now?" In hindsight, I could've been less forward with my question.

"I love free food." She swiped up the last piece of lemon meringue pie not purposely, but it definitely added emphasis.  Instead of laughing like I usually would, I chewed on my lip, a habit Camila had and I presumably picked up. (It's disgustingly domestic but I'm not particularity complaining.)

"Is it weird for you?"

"Lauren, I'm not following." She put down her fork and pushed her plate forward slightly. I pursed my lips.

"Is it weird you're hanging out with me when I'm an ex-student?" I rephrased to, hopefully, clarify.

"Lauren, I never taught you. I don't see you as a student. I'm not weirded out in any way, I'm hanging out with you because I enjoy your company. Maybe it's bad, but I honestly don't feel the age gap, I enjoy our time together."

I nodded slowly, silently deciding whether or not to believe her.

"Why, is it weird for you?" She asked.

"No, no, not at all. I just don't want to bother you." I explained, relatively shyly.

I didn't expect for the next scene to play out, though. Camila began laughing. Hard. I mean, throwing her head back in laughter as if I just told her about what happened to the Italian chef. (He pasta-way).

"I'm missing something." I stated.

"Lauren, for someone so smart, you're a freaking idiot." I raised my brows in genuine surprise. "You're not bothering me."

I smiled shyly and finished off my own piece of lemon meringue pie, the rest of the lunch begging relatively quiet with shy glances on my part. I wouldn't say I was embarrassed, but I was pretty close. I was definitely flattered though. Next thing I knew, it was time for her to head back to teach last period.

"Do you need a ride home or to school?" She offered as we reached her small, white Beetle. It was very apropos.

"I'm afraid that if I take any more rides from you, I'm going to have to start pitching in for gas." I joked.

"So you haven't noticed the bills gone from you wallet?" She kept a straight face for a total of five seconds before cracking. I followed soon after.

"I'm gonna walk home, actually. I'm not too far and it'll give me a chance to clear my head." I politely declined.

"Is there a lot going on up there?" She asked.

"The usual. Walks are therapeutic for me." I shrugged.

"Take me on a walk with you one day?"

I couldn't help the smile that appeared on my face.

"I'd like that." I agreed. "I just need a date and time."

"How about I let you know at softball?"

"Oh shit, first practice tonight. I forgot." I said, running my hand through my hair.

"Lo, not to rush you, but I really have to go." She said, pushing herself off her car.

"Yeah, Camz, since we've apparently moved onto nicknames, don't be late."

"I like that," Camila responded. "It's different than 'Mila'."

"'Lo' isn't that different than 'Laur', so I think I win." Camila rolled her eyes playfully.

"Always looking for ways to win at thing, huh?" Camila asked, opening her car door.

"You know it." I confirmed. "Drive safe."

I didn't expect it, but next thing I knew Camila lunged forward to hug me. It was a regular hug, her arms found my neck and stood on her toes for added height. I quickly brought her in, my arms around her waist, hands at the small of her back. It was short, next thing I knew she was getting in her car and I was still smelling vanilla.

"Later, Lauren!" She said, pulling out of the parking space.

Honestly, I probably looked like an idiot standing there scratching my head extremely confused with a stupid smile on my face, but at least it wasn't as stupid as I looked walking home with that same smile on.

The walk home was a little under fifteen minutes but offered me some time to replay the hug a handful of times.

I concluded that maybe Camila and I do naturally click and that's why we hang out. I also got more confirmation that she really doesn't think of me as a student. Finally, I decided that being friends with Camila would be really nice.

I reached my house quickly, having been consumed by my thoughts instead of being conscious of the time that had passed.

I made my way through the back door of my house, readjusting the earphone that fell out of my ear on the way in. The slow, soft music of a calm playlist I found by chance made me want to go lie down in my bed for an hour and continue to think.

As I made my way to my room, I began pulling my sweater off, leaving me in my tank top. The motion pull my ear phones out again, making me groan. The lack of music brought my attention to the sound of laughter seemingly coming from my room.

"What the fuck?" I mumbled to myself, having been under the impression no one was home.

I slowly opened my door to reveal Normani and my sister Taylor laying on my bed, mid-conversation.

"Oh, hey Lauren!" Taylor called out once she noticed me.

"Lauren!" Normani exclaimed.

"Uh, hey guys, any reason you're laying in my bed?"

"We were waiting for you." Normani responded then looked at Taylor before looking back at me.

"What's going on?" I asked slowly.

"Normani and I were just talking about how she used to always tell you what to do and how good she was at it." Taylor explained.

"Okay...?" I drew out the word.

"And that it'll be perfect because she got the teaching job at th-"

"YOU DID?!" I cut Taylor off, jumping on my best friend and squishing her in the process. "Mani, I'm so proud of you!" My voice was muffled and I was pretty sure she couldn't respond, being squished between the mattress and myself.

"She starts tomorrow, it's short notice but they wanted her to start as soon as possible, get to know the school and all that jazz." Taylor continued. "I'm sure Normani wants to tell you more. You know, if you let her breathe."

Taylor jerked her head towards Normani who was still being squished under me. I hadn't noticed before, thanks to the blinding excitement I was currently experiencing, that Normani was squirming.

"Sorry babes, I'm just so happy for you." I said, rolling off of her and onto the empty space beside her. Normani dramatically gasped for air, earning her a playful shove from me. "Tell me everything!"

"Well I got the call today. They have me teaching dance and drama, but I can help out with music too. I'll be working with Camila a lot, too."

"That means you'll be seeing me more, as well!" I realized, diverting my attention back to the task on hand instead of the girl that somehow kept finding her way into my mind. "Mani, I'm so proud of you. What did your mom say?"

"She freaked out and then said something about me owing her lunch or something now that I work." We both laughed at the very typical response.

"This is so exciting, the girls are going to absolutely adore you. Do you think you'll be in Dinah, Ally, Camila, and Ariana's squad?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows.

"Oh God," Normani laughed.

When we were in high school, we referee to the group of four as 'the squad'. The faculty was somehow cliquier and more high school-like than the student body was. We always joked around with The four teachers about hopefully being able to join 'the squad' once we graduated. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if by Normani's second day, they took her in as one of their own, especially considering how close Dinah and Normani were in high school. It was no secret Normani was Dinah's favourite.

"Who would've thought we'd both be back?"

"Not me." I responded, shaking my head. "Especially not coaching. I mean we both loved the school but I didn't think anything would happen after graduation."

"Speaking of, have you even seen Ms Grande?" Normani asked.

"I saw her in passing but I haven't had a full conversation with her, why?"

"You referred to her as Ariana so I just assumed you did. But then again, you referred to all the teachers by their first name in high school, just not to their faces. How has coaching been?"

"Pretty good, making cuts were hard but there is a lot of interest which is pretty different than when we were there. I have practice tonight, so I'm excited to properly start the season." I looked down at my watch. "Speaking of, I better get going."

"Do you want a ride? I have some things to drop off at the school?" Normani asked and I jumped at the oppertunity not to take the subway in rush hour.

I changed while Taylor, Normani, and I continued our discussion, continuing to express our excitement. Taylor wished me luck and gave Normani a tight squeeze before we were on our way. Normani really did act as a big sister to Taylor, especially when I left for New Orleans.

When I 'ran away' I really didn't want to leave Taylor or Normani behind but they ended up being collateral. They both found a connection to me within each other. Normani and Taylor were always close considering how Normani and I were attached at the hip for most of our lives, but the four years I was away for school ended up being incredibly good for their relationship. Now, like today, I can find them both in my house waiting for me to get home but not really waiting.

Normani and I spent the drive in relative silence. I think we were both genuinely happy for each other. I knew I was beyond proud of her starting this insanely new chapter in her life and I think she was proud of me for committing to something here in Florida. In all honesty, I think it provided her, my family, and the rest of my friends, some reassurance that I wouldn't pick up and leave. My commitment was something insanely serious, I didn't take it as a joke.

"I think it'll take an hour or so, I can wait and drive you home if you'd like." Normani offered, pulling up her parking break.

"Only if you finish then, I don't want you waiting for me." I said, grabbing my stuff from the backseat.

"You're cute when you're considerate." I rolled my eyes. "Have a good practice!"

I got out and walked onto the field, seriously surprised to see the girls already stretching. I walked over and thanked them for showing commitment to the team early on. Though they laughed, I was completely serious.

The girls sowed some serious athletic ability and they began looking more and more like a team with every drill. I wasn't too harsh on them today, I mostly wanted to get a feel for what they were like, what their work ethic was, areas that needed improvement. I let them scrimmage for the last half of the practice and ended up letting them out ten minutes early. Hopefully I wasn't abusing power I most likely didn't have.

They all dashed off, wanting to shower and get on with their afternoon. I walked back to the gym where I told Normani I would meet her. I didn't get a text that signified she was done and, with the team finishing early, I assumed I'd be waiting for her.

I walked into the gym by the back door and found Camila in the middle, dribbling a soccer ball between her legs.

"Do you ever go home?" I called out into the empty gym. She visibly jumped, obviously startled by my presence. 

"You're done early." She stated, passing me the ball. I set down my bag before trapping it.

"And you didn't answer my question." I teased, passing it back.

"I do, the soccer team finished their practice."

"So you let your team out early too, huh?" I received the ball once more.

"Pretty much. It was indoor conditioning so they were dead by the end of it and I was beyond bored." She explained, taking a few steps towards me.

"That explains why you didn't come outside and bug me today. I hate to admit it, but the girls were actually really good today which means I was bored, too." I passed the ball back to her but it went wide. She reached out and was able to stop it somehow. "I'm impressed."

"I told you," She said, bringing the ball back between her legs and then beginning to juggle it with her right foot. "After swimming, soccer is my sport." As if on cue, she lost control of the ball and it slowly came rolling toward me.

"You sure about that?" I teased, stopping it with the inside of my foot.

"Enough to bet you lunch."

I let out a throaty laugh before responding.

"You're playing with fire, Camila." I warned.

"Fine, I'll prove it. One on one, right here, right now." She said, rolling the sleeves of her sweater.

I sent the ball to her and followed my pass until I was standing in front of her. She tugged at the hair elastic on her wrist until it separated from her cloth, braided bracelet. It was light blue and looked like a friendship bracelets Normani and I used to be obsessed with making in Freshman year.

Then, Camila gathered her hair in a high, messy ponytail. I watched, completely enthralled as she bunched up her hair, exposing the back of her next and making her ever so sharp jawline even more visible. I was quickly brought back to reality when Camila put her hand in between us and I realized I could gawk at her later when it wasn't so obvious.

I shook her hand and we both narrowed our eyes at each other. It was super over-dramatic and we were both well aware of it, but it fed the competitiveness between us which, weirdly enough, fed the playfulness as well.

"We'll play half gym and you score by crossing the blue line." She pointed to the outer lines at the edge of the gym. "Loser buys the winner lunch and, of course, gets bragging rights which, in my opinion, is more valuable than lunch. However, I love a good slice of pizza."

"Game on." I smirked. "First to two wins."

Camila started immediately, catching me a little off guard. What caught me even more off guard was when Camila turned on the ball, completely deking me out. By the time I turned around, Camila was a good five steps ahead of me. By the time I started to move, she had just crossed the line.

"What the fuck?" I whispered to myself.

"We can stop now, Lauren." Camila joked, passing me the ball.

"I'm here to play soccer, not feed your ego, Camila." I reminded her. She chuckled.

I started with the ball this time and kept it simple. Obviously I didn't have the skill level that Camila did, so I started wide and slowly. Camila stayed in the middle, backing up at my pace. Then, she rushed me, kicking the ball away and at the wall. It bounced off the wall and rolled to the middle.

"Do we still play it or are we restarting?" I asked. Camila looked at the ball and then at me.

Almost simultaneously, we both started running but Camila, being on the outside, made it first. I was able to get right in front of her, close enough that she couldn't really move with the ball. We both kicked it at the same time and it managed to go up, reaching a height of my hip. Camila kicked it out and it rolled to the corner of the gym.

"Seriously?" She groaned as we both ran over.

"Aren't you a gym teacher?" I teased.

"Yeah, but I can still hate running." She countered.

I made it first and Camila was right behind me. My plan was to get it out of the corner but Camila had cornered me, herself. Even if I wanted to kick the ball out, Camila had a foot between my two feet, against the ball, pressing it against the wall and preventing any movement.

"You're kidding, right?" I asked.

"Nope." She popped the 'p'.

"How is this fair? There's no corners on a soccer field."

"I don't play fair, my ego, as you like to say, is too big." Nudging the ball a little with her foot, Camila rested a hand on the wall in front of me, over my shoulder.

"We're never going to move." I stated.

"And the game will have to finish and I'll be up by one."

"Is this really how you want to win, Camz?"

"I'd still sleep at night." She shrugged. With that, I bent down and picked up the ball, holding it with both hands and turning around. "You can't do that!"

"And I'm pretty sure you can't pin me in a corner."

"Trust me, that's not pinning." Camila responded. I managed to step around her so I was now facing her but my back was to the gym instead of the corner.

I laughed. "You're too funny, you look like a little kid." I said, motioning to her arms that were crossed over her chest.

She looked down at her folded arms and tried her best not to smile, but as she rolled her eyes, her cheeks bunched up in the corners, further proving my point as to how adorable she is.

"Gimme the ball." She said, lunching forward. I was quick enough to move it out of reach. "Laurennnnn," she drew out my name. "Please?"

I shook my head and she reached again. Now, I was seriously laughing and though Camila was determined, she was laughing along with me.

I was barely taller than Camila so when I held the ball above and Camila almost tipped it out of my hand, I realized it probably wasn't the best idea. Camila took a step closer and I held the ball behind my back, taking a step away from her.

"You're stressing me out, you're just prolonging your loss." She said, as-a-matter-of-factly.

"You're so cocky." I laughed. Camila then slid her arm between my arm and my torso, reached behind me, and tried to push the ball out of my hand. "Camila!"

I began squirming as I lost my grip of the ball, both of us blind with laughter.

"Lauren, give me the ball!" Camila got out between squeals and trying to catch her breath.

"No way! I'm not giving up that easily." I answered but just I took another step back, I lost my balance.

I stumbled back, bringing Camila, who's hands were still hitting at the ball, along with me. Camila was quick to grab at my waist and I completely disregarded the ball and grabbed onto Camila's forearms subconsciously in hopes of not falling. I regained my footing and stoop up, the sound of the ball bouncing away from us was relatively faint but more apparent once the laughter had died.

I looked down Camila's hands on my waist and my arms holding on to her. Before I could even think about how picturesque and movie-like his could've been, Camila ducked her head down.

Next thing I knew, her hand was on my jaw, gently guiding me to her lips before I even had a chance to process she was touching me. Though the motions were extremely calm, our lips crashed together. The kiss was slow yet sensual and Camila tasted sweeter than I could've even guessed.

The hand that wasn't still tracing my jaw was still at my waist and had bunched up the loose fabric of my shirt in the process. Camila bit down and tugged at my bottom lip gently, as if silently agreeing with me that neither of us were ready to pull apart.

AN:

Constructive (or non constructive) criticism is greatly appreciated!!

How we liking this so far? Are we happy they kissed??

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

240K 5.8K 14
*NEW COVER ART* A story about two best friends, searching for love as they spend their last summer together before they separate for college. Will th...
147K 3.7K 21
I'd kill for her. I wonder if she'd do the same. [g!p] Also at some point this turned into a Camren/you which I didn't plan. I didn't see it coming i...
936 69 4
I can feel every second pass through my arteries, my heart is a literal clock full of numbers and ticking needles, but it still doesn't seem to have...
190K 5.3K 11
*NEW COVER ART* "When I'm with you... I feel like I'm home..." 5 years ago, they all said their goodbyes and went their separate ways in New York Cit...