Cat Fight In The Kitchen-Watt...

By TigerLily7

This is all terrible writing advice, but we have fun. More

Cat Fight In The Kitchen-Wattpad Rant
Comments
The Werewolf Stories-Part 1: History
The Werewolf Stories-Part 2: Modern Literature
They're Doin' It
Names
Character Descriptions
Subtle Clues
Teen Pregnancy-The Happening
Hospital Scenes
Makeovers
The Monthly Visitor
One Direction Adopted Me!?!?!?!?
The "L" Word
The Human Body
Charities and Fundraisers
The Golden Boy
Make Me A Character
Virgins versus Sluts
How Not to Be Boring
How Not to be Boring (continued)
So Beautiful
Body Image
Continuation on Subtle Clues
The Male Best Friend and Gossip
Inside the Mind of a Man
Being Rude for the Hell of It
Writer's Block
Labels
Teen Pregnancy- Finding Out
ClichΓ© Conflicts
Glorifying Abuse
Long Term Effects of Abuse
You Saved Me
Romanticizing Sexual Assault
Life after Sexual Assault
Age Discrimination
A Downfall of Research
Sensitive Topics
Fast Paced Stories
The Male Best Friend Being Overprotective
Weird Personal Rituals
Fix You Plots
Bad Boys
Perfect Characters and Plots
Musicians
Writing a Male POV
Smut
Twenty Things
Gray Areas
Fangirls
She Was Asking for It
Living with a Bunch of Guys
FanFiction
Suicide
Things that Aren't Actually Romantic
Ten Common Misconceptions
No Offense But...
Unhealthy Relationships
Wattpad Parents
Male Best Friend Q&A (Part 1)
Male Best Friend Q&A (Part 2)
Things Writers Need to Stop Doing with their Female Characters
Bad Writing Advice
Things Writers should know about Trauma/Abuse Backstories
Top Three Worst Things about "Bad Boys"
Twists on Classic, Cliche Romance Moments
Fun Date Ideas for Romance Writers
Anorexia
Single Dads and Teenage Daughters
Top Five Things to know about Falling for the Best Friend
Tips for Writing Traumatic Backstories
Things to Stop Doing in FanFiction
Student/Teacher Stories
Things Writers Should Do with their Female Characters
Kidnapping/Stockholm Syndrome
Things to Stop Doing with Male Characters
Players
Where to Find Inspiration
The Tragedy of Love Triangles
Prodigies
Common Misconceptions about Male and Female Best Friends
PDA
Why I Hate Dialog in Dramatic/Traumatic Scenes
Real Issues for Teen Fiction (That Aren't Romance!)
Things that Happen in Books (But Not Real Life)
Mental Illness
Things Writers Should Do With Male Characters
What is a Strong Female Character?
Siblings
Bullies/Bullying
Point of View
Things that Aren't Actually Romantic (Part 2!)
Things Writers Claim Only Happen in Novels (But Are Wrong About)
Dystopian Stories
Things Writers Should Stop Doing
Fantasy
The Young CEO/Billionaire
Trigger Warnings
Writing Suspense
The Popular Crowd
Weak Characters and Character Weaknesses
Stupid Readers
The Great Big Character Depth Rant
Tomboys
Character Voice
Overused Plot Twists
Super Relatable Characters
Why Female Characters Suck
Horror Stories
Let's Get Physcial(ly Descriptive)
Wattpad vs Reality

Dialogue

710 26 38
By TigerLily7

Since I worked Christmas Eve my boss gave me two hours off this evening, so I thought I'd just write a fun little rant before I have to go back to work.

So let's talk about: Dialogue

Lately I've been reading some dialogue that's stiff.

When was the last time you said "I find him ostentatiously intrepid with his blazon and would be exultant to see him exude it elsewhere."

Sure, you can write descriptions like that, but when it comes to your characters actually saying it, think again.

If they're thirteen, they'd say something like "He's annoying the hell out of me. I wish he'd go away."

And this is seriously one of the easiest fixes when writing. If you have something for your character to say, say it out loud first.

Isn't it kind of hard to say "ostentatiously" or "exultant" without kind of stumbling over your own tongue?

So if it feels weird for you to say, don't have your character say it.

Make it natural.

Make sure it's something you would say. Or even something you've heard someone else say before.

And another thing is the dialect.

Now, I come from the southern USA and, as a former waitress in a tourist town, I've gotten to meet people from all over the place.

And because I live in the south, people just tell me I have an accent (and mostly it's people from the north that also think I should have missing teeth and be married to my brother, since people in the south don't go to school and just drink moonshine all day while shooting guns. Obviously.)

Do I have an accent? I'll admit that I have a tiny one.

I do say "y'all".  I tend to cut the "g" off the end of my words...a lot...

But I also have three bachelor degrees, so you tell me whose ignorant and uneducated.

But it gets me when characters move to new places way far from where they were raised and everyone talks the same as they do.

When I went to New York a guy carded me, asked me a bunch of stupid questions, and then asked where I was from. Of course I was really annoyed (it says RIGHT THERE on my driver's license), but I just angrily said "Arkansas".

And what did he say? "I know. I just love to hear you guys talk."

So I'll admit. I have a bit of an accent. But how come characters in these stories are only British? (I know there's an obvious reason, but I'm trying to avoid that topic...)

Although I do admit that I have a horrible habit of imitating noises and people. I've become really, really good at imitating literally any kind of accent (I can also bark like a Labrador, meow like a Siamese Cat, and make a variety of other noises...such as telephone ringing and microwave beeping, but that's beside the point.)

So, my point is, people can change their dialect or accent just a bit. But not all the time, all at once. For once I'd like to see some communication barriers. Those are funny.

My best friend works with guys from everywhere, but they all pinpoint his accent and tease him about it (and trust me, his is not bad at all). 

And did you know that people in different geographic locations have different words for the same thing? I'm talking like the "soda" and "pop" debate. Or the "dinner" and "supper" debate.

So be conscious of this.

There's a really cool dialect quiz from the New York Times, and if you click the external link then it'll take you to it. (Obviously it knew I was from the south.)

It's fun to read through the options and think "who calls it that?"

So take it. And tell me where it thinks you're from!

(Also, fun fact. You can train yourself to have a different accent and you can pretty much pull it off for your entire life. BUT, the way to tell a person's true, 100% original accent is to scare the absolute shit out of them. Their body will go into panic mode and revert back to their original accent. Fun psychology fact for you).

And, also, enjoy Joseph Birdsong's video "Sorta True Facts about Arkansas" off to the side.

Being an Arkansan myself I should have taken offense to that, but I think it's funny. It's a little hard to offend me, because I'm used to serving ignorant people that think they know more about the south than I do.

Anyway, have a great night! And hopefully you had a great Christmas too! Sorry for the short rant, but I gotta get back to work!

Love,

Addy!! XOXOXO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

365K 8.2K 138
When the world ends, it's small and you think youd never have to worry about anything else but keeping yourself alive. And that's the real struggle...
10.5K 472 40
What it says on the tin. Some ranting, some advice, some archaic reference, and a lot of cussing. My take on how I think fanfiction should be writte...
435 24 9
This story I am doing just for fun and so I can practice writing on my own to see how far I will go. I hope yall enjoy the story.
11.5K 149 29
If you like this book please write in comments. Love you all!