Play the Game ✔️

By VeroniqueLeNoir

"Come on! We want to get a good seat!" She smiled brightly. "Yeah, I'm coming--" She was entranced by the fl... More

New Kid In Town
Midnight Train
Dog Daze and Nights
You Can Do Magic
Dream a Little Dream of Me
As We Walked Along Together
Lawyers, Guns and Money
Lawyers, Guns and Money - Part Two
Déjà Vu
Tell Me When The Whistle Blows
Tell Me When The Whistle Blows - Part Two
Tell Me When the Whistle Blows - Part Three
Tell Me When the Whistle Blows - Part Four
Smackwater Jack
Us and Them
My Eyes Adored You
It's in His Kiss
Synchronicity I
Author's Note
Mixing It Up
I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night
Don't Do Me Like That
Don't Do Me Like That - Part Two
Jazzman
All the Young Dudes
All the Young Dudes - Part Two
Christmas Time Is Here
Christmas Time Is Here - Part Two
Hearts
Welcome To My Nightmare
Welcome To My Nightmare - Part Two
You Were Always On My Mind
You Were Always On My Mind - Part Two
Anticipation -Part Two
Feels Like the First Time
Vehicle
Vehicle - Part Two
Al Garimasu (There is Love)
Tumblin'
The Story in Your Eyes
The Story in Your Eyes -Part Two
Last Kind Words
Home Sweet Home
Home Sweet Home - Part Two
Play the Game
Having My Baby
Thank You for Being a Friend
Thank You for Being a Friend - Part Two
I'll be True to You
I'll be True to You - Part Two
I'll be True to You - Part Three
If You Could Read My Mind
Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting
Leaving on a Jet Plane
It's All I Can Do
I've Been Tricked

Anticipation

310 12 2
By VeroniqueLeNoir

Liesel was headed toward the kitchen to help her mother with supper when she looked on the floor in front of the fireplace and noticed a rather large envelope on the carpeted floor. It was addressed to her and when she read the return address and then saw the official red waxy seal of Hogwarts, she screamed. "IT'S HERE! IT'S FINALLY HERE!" She ran through the house toward the kitchen where her parents were sitting at the table. With shaking hands, she handed the large envelope to her father. "I can't," she said weakly. "You do it?"

Liesel handed her letter to her father then sat in her kitchen chair, pulling her legs up as tightly as she could manage. She closed her eyes as her father examined the handwriting. "Ahh...well, it's about time! Minnie wrote this," he said. "I can tell!"

"Okay," Liesel responded curtly.

He flipped the large envelope over in his hands several times. "This is a fairly large envelope. It's rather thick too. I wonder if they're sending your time table already?"

"DAD!"

John chuckled as Laurie arched her brow toward her husband. "John, you're being positively obtuse! Open the damned letter already!"

"Alright, alright!" John broke the seal and opened the envelope then withdrew several sheets of parchment. He leafed through them all and placed them face down on the table, as well as another small envelope. When Laurie attempted to pick them up, he tapped on her hand, causing her to release them instantly. She scowled and rolled her eyes as she clicked her tongue.

"Alright," he said eyeing his daughter over the parchment. "Drum roll please...in Transfiguration Miss Rhodes scored....." He looked at his child who by this time was rocking in her seat and chewing on her thumbnail. "An O!"

Liesel nodded her head and took a breath finally and exhaled with a heavy sigh. She swallowed hard.

"There is a handwritten remark here from Minnie. It reads, 'Miss Rhodes, thank you for all of your hard work this year. It's been a pleasure working with you. I do hope that you will consider assisting with tutoring again next year. All of your students passed with outstanding marks on the exams!'" He pulled the parchment from his hand and passed it across the table to her. Liesel placed it face down on the table.

"Don't you want to see it Darling," Laurie asked.

"I'll look at it later," she said weakly.

Laurie looked toward her husband sternly and mouthed, 'hurry up!'

John nodded. "In Potions, you received an O. Professor Slughorn writes, 'I have applied for a patent for your Non-pepper UP Potion on your behalf. We still have to come up with a fitting name. The paperwork should be arriving any day now. Look for my owl and well done! I am very proud of you! I do hope you consider Remedial potions again next year!' What's he talking about, Bobby?"

"I came up with a cold remedy that doesn't make your ear steam. It has some basic antibiotic properties, so it not only treats the symptoms, but the cold bug itself. I hope he put Reggie's name on the patent too!"

Her mother leaned over to wipe at the tear that was threatening to spill from her eye. "When did you do that, Darling? In remedial potions?"

"First day of fifth year potions class," she muttered.

John beamed. "You went in strong like I told you! Excellent!"

Liesel nodded and chewed on her lip.

"Divination, you got an E." Liesel nodded and rolled her eyes. "Do you want to take that next year Bobbie?

Liesel shook her head.

"Good," John replied. "Waste of time if you ask me."

"But it's fun," Laurie said. Both her husband and her daughter eyed her hard. "Well, I always thought it was," she grumbled.

"Moving on...History. Professor Binns is still teaching I see? You got an E. That's as good as an O in my opinion! Well done, Bobbie!" He looked up from the parchment and smiled. "Muggle studies, you got an O. Well, I should hope so!"

"Wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. They don't have a lot of modern stuff. Lots of antiques. Like a hand-cranked meat grinder! Who uses those?!"

"Butchers do, Darling," Laurie said.

"Yeah, but that's a specific profession! We don't own one! And we had to actually use it. There was like, actual math and physics involved!"

"We don't have one because we don't need it," her mother replied.

Liesel nodded her head and she exhaled hard. "Right, yeah. I guess?"

"Defense." John exhaled slowly as he nodded, scanning the parchment. He looked up at his daughter. "You got an O," he said and his face finally lit up and he laughed with glee as his eyes watered a bit. "Well done Sweetheart! Well done," he said and he sucked on his bottom lip and sniffled. "Sorry, I'm very proud of you for this," he said as he reached his hand out toward Liesel. She took her father's hand and he gave it a quick squeeze. "Moving on...Care of Magical Creatures, you received an O. There is a notation as well. 'Miss Rhodes, your level of empathy and kindness toward all of the animals, you learned about in my class, as well as the otherstudents and my staff was a genuine asset in my class this year. Thank you for all of your hard work!' I am not surprised by that at all," John said, smiling. Liesel nodded.

"I really liked that class," Liesel replied with a smile.

"I bet you did," Laurie said smiling as she took her daughter's hand in hers.

"Runes." He smiled. "Another O! Good, you'll need that for Defense and Charms. And speaking of Charms..."

Liesel drew in a deep breath and held it, as she stared at her father. She had worked hard and tirelessly for that class and her friends helped her get there, most notably, Remus and Lily.

"Bloody hell! Phil wrote a goddamned book here," he huffed. "Look, there's an additional page!"

"DADDY!"

"You got an O," he said finally and he and his wife looked on as their daughter screamed with joy and jumped out of her chair and then hopped around the room like a rabbit.

"OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD!" Tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Alright, settle down! Don't you want to hear the rest of your scores?"

"I don't CARE about the rest of it! I GOT A FLIPPIN' OHHHHHH!"

"Well, I care," Laurie said. "What did she get in her other studies?" She turned in her chair to watch her daughter as she danced around the kitchen, snapping her fingers like a crazy person, still singing at the top of her lungs.

"I got an ohhh-ohh! I got an ohhh-ohh!"

John leafed through the pages and smiled as he nodded. "She received Os in everything else. I believe we have an academic in the family, Love!"

"Well, we've always known that she is highly intelligent," Laurie replied as she giggled at her daughter. "If not absolutely off her rocker! Liesel...LIESEL! Calm yourself Darling!"

"I gotta tell Remus and Lily!" Liesel ran out of the kitchen to the living room and plopped herself on the sofa and reached for the telephone.

"Liesel," Laurie called out. "What food would you like to celebrate with?"

"I dunno," Liesel replied as she dialed Lily's home phone number and listened for the ringing tone. "Oh yeah, I know! Pizza and beer! Hello, yes...Hi! may I speak to Lily, please? Yes, this is Liesel Rhodes....Thank you..." She cleared her throat. "Hey, did you get your scores? You did? How did you do....Okay...right...uh huh! You'll never guess...I GOT AN OHHHH! IN CHARMS! Can you believe it! I couldn't have done it without your help, Lily! I'll be forever grateful...and just...just..." She squealed into the telephone and her parents could hear Lily squealing through the receiver as well. "Oh! Someone's coming through the floo...I'll ring you back!" She hung up the receiver and saw Remus standing in the door way and she became instantly quiet and reserved. She looked at his clothing. It was all brand new. New jeans, shoes, a new dress shirt and blazer. He had even managed to get his hair cut finally.

He approached her. "Did you get your scores yet?"

"Hi Remus! Nice to see you too!"

Remus' face turned bright red. "Sorry Bobbie. How are you doing?"

"I'm goooood..." she smiled,

Remus chucked. "Lovely. Right, now did you get your scores?"

Liesel nodded and she looked up into his eyes.

"And?" His face fell when she didn't respond immediately. "Oh god! PLEASE tell me that you got an O in Charms!"

She looked down at his feet and she stood up finally and took his hands in hers. She looked over toward her parents and then looked up into his green eyes. She breathed in deeply. "Well...?"

"Oh, Bobbie...I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. You were at such a disadvantage for far too long! Tell me that you at least got an E then? I mean, he couldn't have failed you! You were doing so well!"

She nodded and looked away for a split second. She looked again into his eyes and smiled. "I got an O," she said quietly.

He tilted his head and it was as if his entire body posed the question: "Sorry," he asked quietly.

She gripped his hands tightly and he watched as a mischievous grin play over her entire face. "I GOT AN O!" She hopped up and down in place and then wrapped her arms around the neck of a very stunned Remus, pulling him down so that she could kiss his cheek. Finally he stood up straight and released her hands. The look on his face was one of mock-disgust. He pointed his finger in her face.

"YOU'RE SUCH A BITCH!"

Her smile faded instantly and her eyes widened and she looked as if she would cry any moment,

He placed his hands on her hips and lowered his head to hers. "Well, since you didn't prank me a Christmas, I suppose we're even now, I reckon?"

"You're such a brat, Remus John Lupin," she said in a quiet voice.

Remus grinned. "I had two very good teachers over the past year."

"Two?"

He nodded. "Mmhm."

"Who?"

"Sirius and YOU!" He kissed her brow. "I'm very proud of you, you know," he added quietly.

"Bobbie," her father called out from the kitchen.

"Yeah?"

"Come here, please? There's something else..."

Liesel released Remus' hands and walked into the kitchen while her god brother followed. When John produced another envelope, Remus gasped quietly and his smile grew so, that he practically beamed.

John looked into his god son's eyes. "You want to do the honors?"

"Don't mind if I do." He turned to Liesel after having taken the small envelope from John. He withdrew the letter, careful not to spoil the surprise. He cleared his throat and began to read: "'Dear Miss Rhodes. After careful due consideration, the staff and faculty of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry have responded unanimously to award you the coveted badge of Hufflepuff's Seventh Year Prefect. Your academic studies, your services to your fellow students and staff as well as your loyalty, bravery and kindness make up for what we feel exemplifies the model student. Congratulations...With great affection, love always, Al, Minnie, Phil, Sluggy, et all.'" He looked her in her eyes and handed her the Hufflepuff prefect's badge. "Conga rats, Bobbie!"

John snatched the letter from Remus' hands and scanned the bottom of the page. He looked up toward the young man, and his brow arched high.

"Alright, I made up the last part of it," Remus chuckled, as he shrugged his shoulders. "Look, Sirius and James are having a to-do tonight, might even last the weekend, not certain yet. I'm actually supposed to pick you up and bring you over. Sirius is an absolute nervous wreck, he wants to know your scores so badly that he can taste it! We all received our scores today and we were hoping you did as well." He looked toward her parents. "Is that alright?"

John and Laurie looked toward each other. "I suppose it's alright," Laurie said stiffly as she looked away and busied herself with the collection of Liesel's reports. Once collected, she handed them to her daughter, her eyes misty with pride. "I'm so happy for you Sweetheart. You have worked so hard and it shows. All of these accolades speak volumes," she said.

"Mom, I don't have to go. It's just a party," Liesel replied. She looked up toward Remus. "We were going to have pizza and beer to celebrate," she offered.

"Oh. Um..."

"Go," John said. "Have fun with your friends. We can celebrate when you return home."

"Daddy, are you sure?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Go on...I imagine Sirius is chomping at the bit to see you!"

She offered up a conciliatory smile and nodded.

"Are you two back together again? I can't keep track!"

Liesel moved to respond to her father's query but stopped short. "You know what? I'm not even sure?"

Remus shook his head and shrugged his shoulders when her parents looked to him. "Don't ask me? Their dating status seems to change more often than most people change their clothes!"

Liesel rolled her eyes and then she gasped. "Oh my god!"

All three asked unanimously. "WHAT!"

"I have absolutely nothing to wear!" She made a silly face that caused them to groan as she took off for the third floor of their home where her room was. Within ten minutes, she had returned, dressed in jeans, a burgundy blouse, a cream-colored blazer and high-heeled boots. Her hair was pulled up into a messy up-do and she wore tiny gold-colored earrings in the shape of a Bobcat in the lobes of her ears.

"Well, I have to say that this has got to be new world record," John said.

"Oh. Ha. Ha. Daddy!" She kissed his cheek. "Mind if I stay over?"

Her parents looked to each other uncomfortably.

She shook her head. "It's okay...I don't have to."

John shook his head. "I'd rather you not try to apparate or floo while you're intoxicated, Bobby I know that there is going to be liquor there. All the good parties have abundant libation. You don't want to get splinched, do you?"

She scrunched her face and shook her head. "No, not particularly."

"Have fun then," he said. "But not too much fun!"

Remus nodded and kissed his godmother's cheek and shook his godfather's hand and smiled. Then he grabbed Liesel's hand and walked toward the floo.

"Remus," Laurie called out. Remus stopped short of the floo and looked toward her. "How did you do?"

"Os, I got straight Os," he replied smugly. "Top of our year, actually."

"Show off," Liesel grumbled and Remus chuckled as he grabbed a bit of floor powder and tossed it into the fireplace. "Sirius Black's residence," she said clearly. The two young adults stepped into the floo and were whisked away in a ball of green flames.

"Well, so much for pizza and beer," John said with disappointment in his voice.

____

When Remus and Liesel slid onto the floor of Sirius' living room, they were rushed by Sirius and James. "So, how did you do," Sirius asked her as he took her hands in his, pulling her up from the floor. Remus merely lay on the flat of his back, looking up at him.

"I did really well," she said. "How about you?"

"Never mind about me! Charms! What did you get in Charms?!"

"Well..."

"BOBBIE!"

"OHHHS, I GOT OHHS!"

Sirius' face lit up and he lifted her in his strong arms and spun her around as she squealed with delight. He finally lowered her to the floor and kissed her tenderly. "You worked hard for that score...I'm so very proud of you," he said quietly, his eyes searing into hers.

"Thank you," she said as she fiddled with the buttons on his dress shirt and smoothed out the lapel of his jacket. "I couldn't have done if without all your help." She looked toward James and Remus. "All of you. You all helped me," she added. "Hey, Lily's coming too, right?"

"I hope so," James said. "Apparently, Tuna gave her a hard time this afternoon. But we've an announcement to make when everyone arrives. So, she'll be here. Soon. I hope?"

"Oh?" Liesel looked up into his eyes.

He turned around. "So, you're the resident fashionista Queenie...tell me? How do I look?"

She looked James up and down and nodded. "You look nice James. Very...Sophisticated, quite dashing and debonair," she offered. "Hell, I'd date ya!"

"Oh yeah," James replied as he approached her and grinned at her.

She nodded, as she cast her glance to the side, waiting for some kind of reaction from Sirius, who managed to clear his throat and glided his tongue across his teeth and blink at the teasing pair slowly.

James nodded and smiled. "Excellent. That's what I was going for! Thanks!"

"So, what's going on, James," she asked.

"You'll all find out when Lily gets here," he replied grinning.

She looked into Sirius' eyes and he shook his head as he pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her, then they both looked toward the floor at Remus who was still on the floor, leaning up on his elbows; his feet were crossed at his ankles. "No idea," Remus said. "Oh and don't mind me, I'm just resting here. The carpeting is quite comfortable actually."

Sirius rolled his eyes and reached down to help his friend up as he grinned. "Sorry about that Moony."

"No worries Padfoot," Remus replied affectionately. "Were I you, I'd be all about the pretty girl as well!" He laughed quietly and joined James in the kitchen to unpack the food and drinks.

Liesel's cheeks burned a bright red. "Ya think he's gong to ask her to marry him," she asked the two young men. "Or maybe he already has!"

"No idea, but I wouldn't be at all surprised," Sirius said as he watched his best friend withdraw more bottles from the cardboard box and place them on the kitchen table as he whistled a catchy tune.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.5K 559 22
"You're not like him, that's why I want you! Please just listen! Ali you're special. You're kind, you're smart, you're beautiful-" "And you're a bul...
1.8K 98 23
"Oh, come on, it's fine. It's just a kiss," Sirius ceased. "No, it is not! You just told me you are in love with somebody else," she argued, "and...a...
183K 4K 21
"Bloody hell," whispers James. "I don't think I've ever seen that before." All I can do is stare blankly at him. "she was just so nice about it..." ...
287K 7.4K 22
❝ You know, Lupin, you really are quite handsome ❞ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ Trouble comes as double when you're a twin, treble when you're a twin from the House of Bl...