Guarded Hearts ✓

By simran_G

[COMPLETED] Violet just wanted to get through school as under the radar as possible with her best friends Jay... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17: Part 1
Chapter 17: Part 2
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue
ANNOUNCEMENT

Chapter 14

575 9 1
By simran_G

 A/N: Make sure to check out the song on the right. I've been kinda obsessed with it lately and listened to it loadss when I was writing this chapter ;P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 14

     I laughed and shook my head. Thrusting out my wrist for the bottle. Rose sighed and passed it to me; I promptly took a swig and placed the bottle back in the middle, between us.

     "What's the point in playing Truth if you refuse to answer any of the questions?" Rose said giggling and shaking her head.    

      I smiled sheepishly at her. "I can hold my liqueur. So this isn't much of a punishment for me."

      "Of course you can! It's...it's hard for you to get drunk on Earth, or get sick. Or even die!" She slurred with wide eyes. "See... I can though! You should see me when I'm drunk. I'm a mess."

     I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing. I nodded slowly at her words and sat up straighter against the backboard on her bed. Rose yawned and scooted back from her lying position until her head hung off the end of the bed.

     "Hey, Rose?" I called and she rose her head to look at me. "It's your turn."

     Her mouth widened as she shuffled back to her original position; cross-legged opposite me. I sat silently, thinking about how I would her the question that had been gnawing on me for days. I played with her pink lace pillow, not meeting her eyes. "Do you like Jayden? As more than a friend?"

     I saw her hand reach towards the bottle, before pausing and moving back to sit in her lap. I looked up at her, waiting for her answer. She met my eyes and slowly nodded; her eyes watering slightly. My lips parted in shock, to the fact that my suspicions were correct and to the fact that she chose to tell me the truth. She could have easily taken the bottle's way out.

     "I-I don't know why I like him...and-and I really don't want to feel this way. Please don't think I'm going to try to steal him away! That's the last thing I want to do. We're just old friends. It's probably just a crush." She said, grabbing onto my shoulders and kneeling up on the bed. "Just don't tell Alex. Please? After everything that happened between him and Jayden...I don't want him to hate me."

     My eyebrows furrowed and I copied her kneeling position. "What actually happened between Alex and Jayden?" I asked.

     She leaned in and whispered. "Well, you know that Alex and Jayden used to be best friends right?"

     Before I could respond, the door opened and Alex stood gaping at us with wide eyes. He took a few steps back and quickly covered his eyes with his palm. "God, this is so wrong on so many levels," he muttered loudly, before slipping away.

     I raised both eyebrows at the scene and turned back to face Rose with a confused expression. I looked down and noticed her hands still on my shoulders and our close proximity. I laughed and jumped off the bed; running after him. I saw the back of his head and quickly grabbed his shoulder, turning him around to face me. His shoulder warmed quickly under my touch. I quickly took back my hand, before that sparks would form again.

     "Don't worry. It wasn't what you thought." I said, smiling widely to stop myself from laughing.

     He cleared his throat and looked around. "I knew that."

     "Did you? Did you really?"

     "Shut it," he frowned. He suddenly turned to look at me with a glint in his eyes and a large smirk plastered on. "What are you doing here? I thought you didn't want anything to do with me? It hasn't even been a day yet. I knew you'd come running back. You just crave my company too damn much."

     "You're just too damn self-obsessed." I rolled my eyes. "Rose invited me over."

     "You could have easily said no. Admit it. You were just hoping you'd bump into me."

     I stared at him, quiet for a while. I guess, he was right on some level. "I-"

     "Lexxy?" A smooth voice interrupted from behind him. I almost laughed at the name, up until a pair of tan arms snaked around his waist.

     My eyes shot to Kathy's in shock, she smirked back at me and leaned in closer towards Alex. He didn't push her away. My hands balled into tight fists; my nails digging harshly through my palms. I turned to look at Alex with a mixture of disgust and utmost betrayal. He tried so hard to get me to break up with Jayden. I thought he wanted us to break-up because he somewhat cared about me. Like I do with him. No, it was only because of his 'duty' and that stupid connection we have with each other. Kathy looked up at me through mischievous blue eyes and began running her pointer finger, up and down his chest. He knew exactly what went down between the two of us. He knew how much it hurt me. He was there for the tears.

     I cleared my throat and met Alex's gaze. "I should go," I said emotionless. He didn't respond, nor did he show any indication that he cared; his face remained blank.

     I turned around and headed towards the door. "Wait! Hold on," Kathy's voice suddenly shouted.

     I glanced over my shoulder to see her plant a deep kiss on Alex's lips. I felt sick knowing that I had wished to kiss those very lips. I turned back around, when I heard loud steps coming in my direction. Before I had time to protest or even speak, Kathy enveloped me in a hug. It felt warm and familiar. Memories of bullies and past crushes came rushing back; her hugs always felt the same, no matter what issue. 

     "I told you I'd get him sooner of later," she whispered in my ear. I froze.

     She untangled from the hug and slyly smiled before walking back over to Alex. I shot him one last glance before walking swiftly out the door. I walked down the road, rapidly blinking my eyes to stop the tears escaping. I wouldn't cry. What is there to cry about anyway? We're not together or anything, I have Jayden. Oh....Jayden.

     I stuck my hand out and sighed when I looked at my watch, it was only half five. I decided to change my trek, towards the park instead. The thoughts of green grass, lined with an array of buttercups and daisies, shielded over by large oaks and descending orange tinged leaves compelled me to walk faster. The park was simple. The grass wasn't as greener and the flowers may not have been more extravagant as other parks, but my childhood memories overpowered it all. It had been almost a week since I'd last been to the park and I'd already missed it. It soothed me.

     The journey was relatively short after deciding to take a shortcut through an alleyway or two. I quickened my pace when I came into sight of the swings and subconsciously smiled at the memories I had received from the swing on the far left; which when I turned seven, had dubbed MY swing. Aaron had always thought the swings were stupid and had opted towards the slides instead. But I always found comfort in that one swing, in this one park. It felt familiar and that's all I've wanted. Familiarity, not change. I walked slowly towards the swing seat and turned it upside down. There, in  bright red letters was scrawled: 'Property of Violet Simmons'. I laughed to myself.

     "What are you laughing at?" A voice asked, interrupting my thoughts.

     I gasped and turned around. "Damien? What are you doing here?"

     He smiled and took a seat on the other swing seat. "I came here to think."

     I smiled back softly and sat down on 'my' seat. "Me too..."

     "What about?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

     I laughed slightly. "You first."

     He chuckled and folded his arms. "I was just thinking about my family. I never really knew them." I furrowed my eyebrows and he continued. "I was brought up in an orphanage...."

     "Oh....I didn't know. I'm sorry," I apologised.

     He shook his head and swung the chain on his seat in my direction. "You don't have to apologise. I didn't know them... Anyway, I think it's your turn now."

     I copied his actions and swung my seat until I was now facing him. "There was this guy...and well, he turned out to be exactly as I pegged him to be. A jerk."

     "I hate those." He mock frowned.

     I gaped and playfully punched his arm. "That's not funny!"

     He leaned towards me and grabbed onto one of the chains on my swing. His dark hair hung over his eyes, but I could feel his eyes gazing into mine. "It's about dinner time now. Why don't we grab something to eat? We can mope together..." He laughed slightly.

     I slowly stood up, feeling an aura of sudden awkwardness around him and his actions. He slowly let go of the chain and stood up too. "I've got a boyfriend, remember?"

     "We can still go out for dinner as friends, can't we?" he smiled.

     I smiled slightly. "As friends, sure. But I can't tonight." I paused and bit my lip. Debating what I would say. "My parents wanted us all to have a dinner together...it's pretty rare."

     "Oh..." he murmured, looking intently at the metal chain beside me.

     "Why don't you join us?" I asked him suddenly. He looked up at me with a mixture of surprise and confusion. It wasn't fair for him to spend dinner alone, especially after I had practically just bragged about having parents.

     "Why would you do that?"

     "Because my mum's pretty hard to deal with and guests usually slacken her up a bit." I laughed. He raised an eyebrow and I continued seriously, "I didn't want to blow you off for dinner. This was the only option I could think of."

     He nodded and smiled slightly. "Alright then."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry for the late chapter post. Excited about the next chapter?! Hope you like your special valentines day chapter post. I have an extremely sad life, which is why I actually had time to post this :L Team Jayden? Team Alex? Or Team Damiennnnn? Drop a comment if you want (:

VOTE.♥.COMMENT.♥.FAN

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 5.3K 33
a retelling of the tale of persephone and hades --- highest rankings - #1 in greek, god, greek mythology, hades, hecate, olympus --- ❝she wore silk d...
132 7 11
Eve Mallory doesn't know who she is. With mysterious scars on her back and tattoos along her arms, she is at a loss of what has happened in her past...
537K 18.8K 68
Journey to true love. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Excerpts: Not knowing what more to say, I give i...
414 20 15
In this society, everyone has a soulmate. And the way to find yours is just look. Along with a soulmate, everyone has a small tattoo on their cheek...