Nethermost Realm: Prisoner of...

By Meredithskye

(Harry Potter meets Hunger Games!) Book One Rian, a 17 year old boy from Earth, is transported to alternate m... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58

Chapter 14

168 13 1
By Meredithskye

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

14

After that terrible inquiry that Kyran had faced in front of the Matrizar and some of the other wizards, Rian at last began to relax. Those moments when Kyran had confessed to murder without any remorse had nearly undone them both. He just felt relieved that Kyran could explain the compulsion he was under from the necromancer Molan, as his magic-spawn.

Things settled down after that. Genesse arranged several tutors to be sent to teach Kyran—nothing earth-shattering (or was it Arlunn-shattering, in this case?)—just history, art and the law.

The one thing about Kyran was that he could be counted on to be interested in any tidbit of information, no matter how tedious or boring. He liked to sift through facts and find patterns or draw conclusions. Everything was like a big math equation to him. His disposition improved immensely once he felt that they weren't about to destroy him. And who could blame him?

Once again, Rian found himself with time on his hands as Kyran began to pore through the stack of books left to him. At Emmara's urging, he had promised to begin attending classes up at the college.

Something called the Challenge was starting soon. Emmara felt very urgent that he should get ready for it.

The following morning, Ehina met him and escorted him up to the college to begin his studies. They found Emmara in her office, a pleasant corner room with two large windows, a balcony and lots of light. With all the bookshelves, it felt like a small library with a table in the middle full of books and a desk in the corner full of stacks of paper.

She smiled. "Rian."

Ehina waited outside, his ever-present bodyguard.

Rian took the seat that Emmara offered and they sat down.

"I have looked over your test several times," she began, hesitantly, as though thinking of a way to word bad news.

"It's abysmal," said Rian, saving her the effort. He smiled weakly.

"It's worse than abysmal," she said grimly. "Grade school children all over Cathal know more than you do about ... everything."

"So, it's hopeless," he said.

She shook her head. "No, but ... typically the college doesn't accept any but the very best and most outstanding of mages. But you—we only agreed to this because—"

"I'm the Heir of the Seven Worlds of Cathal. I know."

"The Favored Heir of the Seven Worlds," she corrected. "Magical ability is usually genetic and your family has the strongest wizarding blood of all. You may be able to catch up, to a point, by the end of a year, before the Challenge grows too serious."

He nodded. He hadn't paid much attention to the details of this championship. It had held little interest to him. So many other issues took precedence.

"All right," he said. Anything to keep the Arlunni happy and avoid disrupting the hard won balance that they'd achieved since he and Kyran arrived.

She nodded. "Very well." She stood up and collected a stack of books, putting them in a shoulder book bag for him. "These will be your textbooks for now. They're very basic and I understand you're still struggling to learn how to read, so Devonn has agreed to help read to you for part of the day, if you wish it."

"Thanks," he said, feeling a little like an idiot for not being able to even read their language. He stood and she handed him the book bag.

"Good luck," she said. "I also expect you to attend our regular classes, even though they will be over your head for the most part. But you must get to know your other students who are in the Challenge."

"And you'll need to stay in the dorm with the other students."

"But what about Kyran?" asked Rian, upset.

"He'll be fine."

"But ..." he didn't finish the sentence. He wanted to say Kyran was having nightmares that might come from memories leftover by Molan, but he was afraid to let them know this, not when they seemed on the verge of accepting Kyran.

"We'll have someone with him night and day."

Rian couldn't think of a valid argument, so he stayed silent. He just hoped Kyran would be all right.

"You can visit him in the evening, after your classes."

"And in the morning," insisted Rian. "And I want to take him for a walk. You can't keep him cooped up all day in that tower!" He hurried to say before she could object.

She sighed.

"Very well, but only as far as the lake, and under guard."

He nodded. It was the most he could hope for.

She handed him a slip of paper that he could barely read. It looked like a schedule arranged by day and hour. "I plan to tutor you every morning in magic use for a few hours. I know it's inadequate but perhaps you can get some of the other students to practice with you."

He nodded. "Thanks.

A tall, blond student, perhaps in his mid-twenties appeared at the door.

"This is Arryk," said Emmara. "Heir to the throne of Ashilan. Arryk, this is Rian."

"I'm honored to meet you," said Arryk, bowing respectfully.

"Thank you," said Rian, nodding awkwardly. He was never sure how to act in these circumstances, and he was sure he was doing it wrong. No one ever corrected him, though.

"I've asked Arryk to show you where you can put your things and give you a tour."

"Thanks," said Rian.

"My pleasure," said Arryk. Rian followed the fellow student down the corridor and outside across a small square to a large oval domed building that looked on the outside a little like a football stadium.

"The word is that they've held up the Challenge partly for you," Arryk was saying as they walked. "But I hear that they hope to start this month sometime. I'm glad you're getting settled."

"Thanks," said Rian. He had no idea what anyone here knew of his situation.

Once inside, Rian followed Arryk through a long curving hall that went around the outside of the dome. Every now and then a door led to a small apartment on the outer side. They stopped in front of one section and went through a set of doors.

"This way," said Arryk. Rian followed him down a short, but wide, corridor. Soon, they opened another set of doors to enter what looked like a very expensive hotel suite. The decor was similar to the Palace on Chuness. The furniture was all hand made wood. The chairs and tables ornately carved. The first room was a dinning room, sitting area. From that, there were two or three bedrooms and another area that looked like a kitchen and, he hoped, a bath.

Rian looked around. "Are we roommates?" he asked.

"Roommates?" asked Arryk, confused, not sure if Rian meant that as a joke. "No, of course not. This is your apartment."

Rian frowned.

"You're displeased. Is it too small?"

"No," Rian shook his head. "I'm not sure what I'll need all this space for."

"Oh. I see. Do you need a hand moving in?"

"All I have are these books," said Rian. He set the book bag down on the table. "So, no."

"That's all you have?" asked Arryk, dubious, raising his eyebrows.

Rian shrugged.

"I'll take you to see the Arena. Follow me," said Arryk.

They left the apartment and went to the hall again to the next door that led inward towards the center. Inside was like a big gym with a dome over it—but not built for sports. "Here, we practice our magic spells," said Arryk. "It has a magical dampening field, in case of any drastic spell failures—to protect the rest of the city."

"Okay," said Rian, not feeling very reassured. He'd done a lot of gaming growing up and spell failures usually ended badly.

"So, I heard that you brought the magic-spawn with you," said Arryk, his eyes dancing with interest. "You should bring him to one of the lectures. No one's ever seen a real magic-spawn before."

"He's not an object to be studied," said Rian, angrily. "He's my brother."

"Yes," said Arryk. "But, he's not your real brother."

Rian just gave him the glare that he usually gave the other kids in school right before he jumped them and wrestled them to the ground to demand an apology out of them. Arryk's eyes went wide.

"Oh, I see," as though surprised that Rian could have feelings for Kyran. He paused, awkwardly. "I'm so sorry," said Arryk, leaving Rian wondering whether he was apologizing for his behavior or giving condolences to Rian for having a magic-spawn for a brother.

Now that they were in the Arena, a handful of other students noticed them and gathered around. Arryk made introductions. "This is my younger sister, Braejeunné, and my second." She was younger than Arryk, but older than Rian. Nearby was a beautiful girl with long dark hair, tinged with purple, maybe Rian's age. "This is Azure from Doona." Next to her was a boy who couldn't be more than 16. "This is her second, Barris. Don't let him get started on the history of spell components, you'll never hear the end of it."

Everyone laughed. Barris blushed a little.

"This is Sennae," he said of another attractive red-haired girl, maybe 20. "From Corisse, and her second Joby. He's also her brother." Joby was close in age, but younger.

"Shaz and Saemund are on Chuness, I think," said Arryk.

"I've met Shaz," said Rian coldly.

"Yes, you must have," said Arryk. "There are four more, but I don't see them here."

"We heard that you took out the necromancer, Molan," said Azure. "You have to tell us how you did it."

"It's a long story," said Rian, but he supposed he'd have to tell it sooner or later. Better to get it over with. "He attacked our hometown on Earth."

"What spells did he use?" asked Barris, excitedly.

Rian paused, thinking back. It was less than a week ago but things had changed so much since then. "There was one where a ghost made the air go cold, so cold, that our hands began to hurt. Then it hurled an ice storm down on us—"

"Oh, an Ice Wraith!" said Barris, with excitement.

"And, let me see. Another one where ghost rose from eight different gravestones to form one big singular being."

"You fought Molan in a graveyard?" asked Sennae, incredulous. "Are you mad? He's a necromancer!"

"Well, that's where he was," said Rian, annoyed. "The face kept shifting and changing as though the ghosts were fighting for control."

"Oh, and there was an illusion aspect to it too," said Barris.

"Yes," said Rian. "I saw my father."

"Dayle Edwin Corey?" asked Arryk.

"Yes," said Rian, always a little taken aback by the use of his father's full name. "So, I—"

"Suffered confusion," said Barris, "as to whose side you should fight on! I've read about that."

"Of course, there were the zombies and skeletons that he raised from the graveyard. And one big walking corpse."

"A Gray Shambler?" asked Barris.

"Well, a swarm of bees came out of his mouth," said Rian.

"Rotting Skrast!" said Barris.

"He bit me," said Rian.

"But, it's poisonous," said Barris.

"I felt terrible for hours," said Rian.

"But you fought on?" asked Sennae. "Wicked."

"Then, of course, there was my brother Kyran."

"The magic-spawn," said Arryk. At this, everyone grew silent.

"Yes. Of course, he forgot everything about who he was, while he was under Molan's power. He drew the life force out of people, so that Molan could do spells."

Everyone listened with rapt attention. "You saw it?" asked Azure.

"He did it to me, actually," said Rian. "When I got captured by Molan."

"Your own brother did that to you?" asked Braejeunné.

"He didn't know what he was doing—but yes. But, he drew out my life force, but not all of it. Molan didn't want to kill me. He just wanted to hurt me. He shot it back at me as some sort of lightening spell."

The group was somber. "It's kind of creepy, thinking that Molan's magic-spawn is right here living in the tower," said Braejeunné in a hushed voice.

"No, it isn't," said Rian, annoyed.

"What spells did you do on him?" asked Sennae. "How did you get him, in the end?"

"I didn't do any," said Rian. "I don't know any spells."

"You don't know any spells?" demanded Arryk.

"I'm from Earth. Magic doesn't work there, usually. So, no. That's why I'm here, to learn magic."

They all stared at him in disbelief.

Arryk laughed nervously. "You're joking, right? But—you're the Heir, the Favored Heir of the Seven Worlds."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"I thought you were joining the Challenge," said Azure.

Rian shook his head. "I don't know."

"You do know that it's a magical Challenge, right?" said Arryk. "Or will you just join as an observer?"

"I don't know. I'm just here for my brother, Kyran. I'll do whatever it takes," said Rian stubbornly. The others looked at him as if he was slightly mad.

+ - + - + - + - + - + -

Sign up for my newsletter, and get a free Meredith Skye novel! All formats available.

http://meredithskye.weebly.com/free-book.html

If you liked this chapter, encourage me to write more--please click "vote."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14 8 10
In a world where magic is hidden away, a boy named Quill Madison gets tangled up in an extraordinary adventure. After aiding the escape of an evil sp...
15.5K 2.7K 78
| 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐝 • 𝗔𝗺𝗯𝘆𝘀 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 𝗪𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿 | ONE RUN-AWAY PRINCE Prince Aster Jacques will one day rule the Q...
5.7K 711 81
MAGIC SPAWN. Urban fantasy. When a boy becomes a tool for an evil mage, his brother must fight them both. A ten year old boy stumbles into a cemetery...
3.2K 1.6K 23
When Rin imagined meeting her mate she did not expect their first meeting to be of him wounded and kneeling in her father's throne room slowly dying...