Nethermost Realm: Prisoner of...

Meredithskye tarafından

(Harry Potter meets Hunger Games!) Book One Rian, a 17 year old boy from Earth, is transported to alternate m... Daha Fazla

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58

Chapter 13

142 11 0
Meredithskye tarafından

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

13

The evening after the test, Kyran felt great. Once again, he felt hopeful. He would go to school; the Arlunni would train him alongside Rian. And Kyran was good at learning. He felt he'd done very well on the test.

When Rian got back from his test, he said it hadn't gone terribly. It would take a lot of study. But, they had time--didn't they?

Almost--almost he forgot the dreams. Then it was time for sleep and he felt a panic begin inside him. He wanted to stay up, but Rian had insisted he sleep.

"Shall I call the healer to spell you to sleep?" He asked at last. That silenced Kyran and he went to bed. He lay there a long time without falling asleep but he could only hold it back so long.

Again Kyran dreamed of the cave, and the dark warriors and the fire-pits. But now something was wrong--his head throbbed in continual pain and he felt a hatred for everything. He needed blood for a powerful spell. From a cage, he selected a child not much older than 10 years old ... and somehow, he felt he knew this child. Without remorse, he helped kill him to take the blood—all of it. He was overwhelmed at the feeling of delight it gave him.

* * * * * *

In the morning, Kyran woke exhausted and disturbed. A lot of the dream was lost but he remembered some of it. He needed to find a way to end the nightmares. He steadied himself and went to join Rian for breakfast. Rian had already showered and dressed.

"I start my classes today," Rian said, sounding a little excited.

Kyran listened politely while Rian talked on and on about the school and how hard his studies would be. It was important to listen politely to conversations. And nod occasionally. He had learned this much on Earth.

Later, Emmara came with Ehina. A man came with her, another guard.

Ehina spoke to Kyran. "This is Lask, one of tower guards. He'll stay with you while Rian is at the college."

The short, dark-haired man said nothing, neither did Kyran. They only exchanged a glance. Kyran felt that the man was no more happy than he was with the situation.

"Will you be all right?" asked Rian.

Kyran nodded. "Yes," he said, but he wasn't sure.

But Rian was happy and went on his way.

The guard stood inside by the door, not looking very comfortable.

Kyran wondered when his teachers would arrive. An hour or two went by before the door opened. It was Genesse's sister, Ysla, and Jiss.

Kyran went over to greet them. "Are you going to be my teacher?" he asked Ysla.

"I'm afraid not," she said solemnly. Immediately, he knew there was some kind of trouble. "We need to take you to see Genesse."

He took a few steps back. "No, I don't have to go without Rian," he said, folding his arms stubbornly. He could feel their fear and anger in the air. What did they want?

"She only wants to ask you some questions."

Kyran shook his head. "Not without Rian."

Ysla and Jiss exchanged a glance. "We will go get Rian. He'll be there."

"You promise?"

"Yes."

Finally, Kyran acquiesced and went with them. Maybe he just wanted to get out of the tower. He was beginning to feel quite bored staying in there all the time. He really wanted to be able to take his classes up at the college with Rian.

He was taken to the large audience chamber that they had first met the Matrizar. The meeting felt very official. Sadine, Genesse's other sister, was there as well, along with several court wizards. These were men, dressed in elaborate gowns. He remembered that they had been there the first time Genesse had tried to question Kyran.

He felt a sense of panic. "Where is Rian?" he demanded of Jiss.

"He's coming."

They didn't have to wait long. Genesse entered, followed by Rian. Genesse always wore a beautiful long, dress. This one was no exception. It was a shiny, deep purple, that looked like something from a Shakespeare play.

Rian looked pale and worried. "Just answer the questions. It will be all right." Kyran knew he was lying.

Another inquiry? Kyran tried to stay calm. He wondered if he'd done something wrong.

Genesse stood up on the platform near her throne. Kyran stood in front of it, at the center of attention.

"I have a few more questions to ask you," said Genesse.

Kyran said nothing.

"I need to more about your time as Molan's magic-spawn. Tell me, why did you become Molan's magic-spawn?"

Standing on the side of the room, Rian took a step forward, impatiently. "He--"

"No--" Genesse cut him off. "Let him answer."

"Molan had my mother," said Kyran, thinking back to Halloween night. "He said he would harm her if I refused."

The Matrizar waited patiently. So, Kyran continued. "And he said that I would be very powerful; that it was what I was made for."

Genesse nodded, but Rian eyes went wide with worry. Maybe it was the wrong answer. "So, he promised you power--and you wanted that?"

Kyran nodded. "Doesn't everyone?"

"True," agreed Genesse. "So, you let him bond with you?"

"Yes," said Kyran. He looked over at Rian again. He looked tense, but it was hard to tell what he was thinking.

"And from then on, you obeyed all orders that Molan gave you?"

"Yes."

"Including murder?" asked the Matrizar.

Kyran hesitated. "Yes." Rian flinched a little at this.

"And did you feel any remorse at the things that you did? I will know if you are lying," she said.

Kyran thought back carefully. He believed that she would know if he was lying. Best not to attempt it. "No," he said, at last. This caused a small stir from the small crowd in the room that watched.

The Matrizar looked very solemn. "Were you compelled to help him do these things?"

Kyran thought back. He wasn't sure. "A magic-spawn must obey."

She nodded. "Did you obey willingly, or did you try to resist?"

He stared at her. "I did it willingly." Rian looked away and Kyran thought that perhaps he was angry. He felt terrible. "But, I'm sorry," said Kyran. "I didn't want to hurt anyone."

"Then why did you?" Genesse asked coldly.

"Because ..." he began, but it was so hard to explain.

"I've heard enough," said one of the wizards in disgust. "What more do we need to know?" The man's thoughts were black, they held condemnation and a vision of Kyran's destruction.

"No!" cried Kyran. "You don't understand!"

"What don't we understand?" demanded Genesse patiently.

"When I agreed with Molan, that he could make me his magic-spawn, he said that he had to erase everything that was human in me."

A chill went through the room.

"You let him erase everything that made you human?" asked Genesse, incredulous.

"I didn't want to let him," said Kyran. He was trembling now, remembering it. "But he had my Mom, and he said he would kill her if I refused. So I let him enter my mind and he took it over and ... erased me. But I didn't want him to erase everything, so I hid what I could in a corner of my mind."

He took a deep breath. He didn't like talking about it. It upset him.

Genesse studied him. "So, while you were his magic-spawn, could you see what was happening--were you aware?"

"Some. Yes. But ... I had forgotten my name and who I was. I forgot about Rian and about our house. I even forgot about my Mom," his voice broke. "All I knew was Molan, his mind, his memories. They filled me. I felt exactly how he felt; and I thought like he thought. And he had no regrets at all."

The silence stretched on as everyone considered this. "How did you break free? You resisted him somehow?"

Kyran nodded. "I knew I'd forgotten something. I tried hard to remember what it was. Then, he said he was going to kill my Mom, after he promised not to. Then I remembered."

"And that's when you resisted him--to save her?"

"Yes."

The room relaxed a little; some of the anger dissipated.

"So, looking back on it now, was it right or wrong to have killed those people?" asked Genesse.

"Killing people is wrong," said Kyran quickly. Though he still had some questions about that.

"So when you were the magic-spawn—were you good or evil?" she asked sternly.

This was the question that he dreaded. It was the one thing that Genesse had sought to condemn him with. Overwhelmed, Kyran slid to his knees. "I was evil," he said, trembling. "And now, you're going to kill me."

The room was absolutely still.

"Should I?" asked the Matrizar.

"Please, give me another chance," said Kyran, in a small voice.

Genesse came down the few steps of the pedestal and looked Kyran over, considering the request. To Rian, she said, "I see now why you defend him." To Kyran she said. "Kyran, you know the difference between good and evil, don't you?"

"Yes," he said, hopeful again.

"Then we will spare you. We will teach you our laws and you will obey them. Will you do that?"

"I will obey the law," said Kyran.

She nodded. "Good."

"Can I still have classes?" asked Kyran.

She laughed a little. "Yes."

Kyran got up. The meeting was over and the others were dispersing. Rian came over, smiling. "You did good," he said. "I'm proud of you."

+ - + - + - + - + - + -

Thanks for reading this chapter!

If you liked this chapter, encourage me to write more--please click "vote."

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

519 69 12
What does a kid from Britain who lives in Kenya, a girl who hates history, and a mysterious temple in Greece have in common? Nothing much, except the...
6.4K 1.4K 109
| 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐝 | RUTHLESS POLITICS Aster Jacques' predecessor is dead, his capital ruined, and his people struggling...
714 48 38
"Everyone loves a good fantasy, but my life was turned upside down by one." What would you do if you had the ability to control the air? How about if...
3.2K 306 65
"So, you rode Azymondias? The Dragon King?" My dad asked, surprised. "Yup." "And you were the only one to acquire one of his scales?" "Yup." "But...