FLASHING LIGHTS | ONE DIRECTI...

By icareabunch

*Previously «British Girls Take Over America»* Maeve Sullivan, a headstrong 19-year-old with a distinctly Iri... More

Author's Note
I. Walking a Tightrope
III. Clash of Titans
I'M NOT BRITISH! I'M IRISH! -Chapter 4
Holy Shiz... -Chapter 5
How to walk in high heels and baby sisters -Chapter 6
One Direction, suspicions and... hugs? -Chapter 7
Panties were dropping, heads were flipping! -Chapter 8
Dinner, Potatos and Crazy Mofos- Chapter 9
THUN THUN THUN! Dinner time! And... my lucky strike?-Chapter 10
I'm sorry *Not a chapter* READ PLEASE! IMPORTANT
Drama everywhere and Mean Girls - Chapter 11
Overly attached parents and big surprises! -Chapter 12 (i think)
Shiz... What are you doing here? -Chapter 13
Oh my god... I hate you Tania -Chapter 14
Thank god! It was a dream! - Chapter 15
Wow... i missed Ireland... -Chapter 16
I hope you don't mind *PLEASE READ IT! IT'S VERY IMPORTANT*
Hello! It's Mr. Peacock speaking! Who's this? -Chapter 17
30 shots, 1 BIG hangover - Chapter 18
Interviews and too much pressure -Chapter 19
Paparazzi and phonecalls -Chapter 20
Arctic Monkeys and bestfriends -Chapter 21
Getting jealous and sugarplums -Chapter 22
I'm confused... i'm sorry *not a chapter*
Writing love songs and getting bummed -Chapter 23
192 What's your emergency? - Chapter 24
Oh blow me down - Chapter 25
Time goes by so fast - Chapter 26
Cigarettes & Margeritas - Chapter 27
New Album & Christmas Plans - Chapter 28
Do you wanna say that louder, you twat? -Chapter 29
a/n: Hope u don't mind
But if we're gonna do anything - Chapter 30
help a/n
New Years - Chapter 31

II. Notes of Deception

967 31 15
By icareabunch

The stale aeroplane air tasted like recycled dreams as Maeve slumped in her seat, her nose buried in a suspicious dog-eared paperback titled "The Art of Deception." Beside her, Olivia, a human glitter explosion with a phone case that seemed to play every One Direction song on repeat, excitedly scrolling through photos of the band. Across the aisle sat Nadia, a quiet observer with an air of cynicism that clung to her like a well-worn leather jacket.

The descent into LAX was a blur of flickering airport lights, and Maeve's stomach churning with a cocktail of excitement and apprehension. This wasn't just a trip to LA but a plunge into a world she'd carefully constructed boundaries around. One Direction wasn't just a band to her; they were friends, confidantes, a secret tucked away in a dusty corner of her childhood attic. Now, she was about to be thrown into a house filled with supposedly their biggest fans, forced to pretend to be one of them. The irony was sharper than the flimsy plastic aeroplane cutlery.

As the plane touched down with a shudder, Olivia cheered, clapping her hands with the enthusiasm of a toddler at Disneyland. As stoic as one could be, Nadia offered a dry "Finally." Maeve forced a smile, her stomach twisting into a knot.

Disembarking, they were ushered towards a waiting car, a sleek black monstrosity that screamed "rockstar treatment" a little too loudly for Maeve's liking. A woman with a tightly coiffed ponytail and a clipboard that gleamed under the harsh fluorescent lights introduced herself as Tiffany, their "talent coordinator" for the show's duration. Her smile seemed a little too practised, a little too eager.

The drive to the beach house was a blur of palm trees, billboards advertising the latest Hollywood blockbusters, and Olivia's incessant commentary on potential filming locations for the upcoming reality show. Every rustle of leaves, every flash of a car's headlights, sent her into a frenzy of speculation. Nadia, meanwhile, plugged in her earphones, creating a world of her own filled with the rhythmic thrum of bass and the gravelly voice of some indie singer Maeve had never heard of. Maeve stared out the window, a strange mixture of melancholy and morbid curiosity washing over her.

The beach house, perched precariously on a cliff overlooking a churning ocean that mirrored the turmoil in her stomach, was everything reality show contestants could dream of or have nightmares about, depending on their perspective. An infinity pool shimmered under the California sun, a sprawling patio beckoned with plush seating designed explicitly for gossip sessions, and the intoxicating scent of freshly baked cookies wafted from an open kitchen that promised late-night fridge raids and whispered secrets.

Inside, the air thrummed with nervous energy. Two other girls, a fiery redhead named Riley with a tongue that could pierce steel and a shy brunette named Sarah, who looked like she'd rather be curled up with a good book than living in a fishbowl reality show, were already sprawled on a plush sofa, their faces a mask of either excitement or fear. Introductions were a whirlwind of awkward smiles, forced small talk, and the ever-present buzz of cameramen hovering around like hungry mosquitos.

It wasn't until Riley, with the enthusiasm of a puppy chasing its tail, asked about everyone's favourite band member that the air crackled with a different kind of tension. Maeve's mind went blank. "Uh," she stammered, caught off guard. "I... I like all of them equally?" It was a blatant lie but the safest option under the circumstances. Nadia snorted, a single word escaping her lips like a well-aimed dagger: "Liar." Maeve's cheeks burned with shame. Was it that obvious? Oblivious to the undercurrent of tension, Riley launched into a passionate defence of Niall Horan, her voice rising an octave with each sentence, showering him with praise for his quirky charm and dazzling smile.

Just then, the door swung open, revealing Tiffany and a man with a weary smile and eyes that held the glint of a seasoned reality TV show producer. Tiffany announced this was Derek, the show's mastermind, the puppet master pulling the strings that would control their every move for the foreseeable future. He launched into a spiel that felt more like a carefully rehearsed monologue than a genuine welcome, detailing the competition, the challenges, the manufactured drama, and, of course, the grand prize: a chance to accompany One Direction on their Where We Are Tour, a dream come true for any Directioner. The girls erupted into screams, each vying for their moment in the spotlight. Maeve, however, remained silent. The prize, a dream come true for millions, felt like a gilded cage to her. It wasn't the prospect of fame or fortune that bothered her; it was the constant scrutiny, the inauthenticity, the exposure - she left once because of the pressures of being a woman around such adored men. 

Later, Tiffany reappeared as Maeve unpacked her meagre belongings in a seafoam green bedroom that overlooked the vast expanse of the Pacific Ocean. Her smile, once practised and insincere, was now laced with a hint of something else – suspicion. "Maeve," she began, her voice low, starkly contrasting to Derek's booming pronouncements. We know you're not a true fan." Maeve's heart hammered against her ribs like a hummingbird trapped in a cage. "What? No, that's not—" Tiffany held up a hand, silencing her. "Don't worry. You're exactly what we need. The outsider, the underdog, the voice of reason amidst the chaos. Think of yourself as the audience surrogate." Maeve stared at her, speechless. Was this a setup? A trap? "Look," Tiffany continued, hinting at something like understanding flickering in her gaze, "we won't expect you to be a screaming fangirl. Just be yourself. And maybe you'll learn to appreciate them after all." Maeve swallowed, a knot forming in her throat.

Being herself meant keeping her secret safe, navigating a minefield of emotions, and potentially confronting a past she'd buried deep. This competition had just become a lot more complicated.

The following day, bleary-eyed and fueled by coffee that tasted suspiciously like burnt toast, the five girls were ushered into a brightly lit living room. Cameras buzzed, and crew members scurried about, their movements a well-oiled machine. Derek, the ever-present producer, stood at the centre of the room, a mischievous glint in his eyes that promised chaos and entertainment.

"Alright, ladies," he boomed, his voice amplified by a microphone clipped to his lapel, "welcome to the first challenge: 'Directioner or Delusional?'"

A collective groan rippled through the room. Maeve, ever the sceptic, raised an eyebrow. This whole thing felt... contrived. But a glance at the cameraman hovering nearby reminded her of the cameras, the competition, and the carefully constructed image she needed to maintain.

As it turned out, the challenge was a pop quiz on One Direction trivia. Questions ranged from the mundane (what was the name of their debut single?) to the obscure (what colour socks did Harry wear during their first X Factor performance?). Olivia, predictably, aced it, her answers fueled by a caffeine-induced hyperdrive and a memory bank overflowing with trivia. On the other hand, Nadia remained stubbornly aloof, her score reflecting her disinterest in the manufactured pop phenomenon.

Maeve found herself hovering in the middle. Years of stolen glances and whispered conversations with Niall gave her an edge, but her carefully constructed facade of a "casual fan" kept her from excelling. The real surprise came from Sarah, the shy brunette. With a quiet intensity that belied her demeanour, she answered question after question, her knowledge as vast as unexpected.

As the dust settled, Olivia emerged the victor, her prize a One Direction "goodie bag" overflowing with t-shirts, posters, and light-up sneakers resembling a disco ball in slow motion. Maeve landed in a respectable third, relieved to have avoided last place and the potential humiliation that came with it.

The rest of the day was a blur of activities—vocal coaching (where Maeve's singing ability was ruthlessly exposed), dance lessons (which only reinforced her two left feet), and a social media challenge that had them create elaborate Vines showcasing their "love" for One Direction. The day ended with a pizza party, a moment of reprieve from the constant competition and manufactured drama.

By nightfall, Maeve was exhausted. Her head throbbed with the relentless music, her muscles ached from the dance session, and her voice was hoarse from the forced enthusiasm. Yet, a strange sense of camaraderie had begun to bloom among the girls. Olivia's bubbly energy was infectious, Nadia's dry wit offered a welcome dose of reality, Riley's fiery spirit was impossible to ignore, and Sarah's quiet intelligence intrigued Maeve.

A comfortable silence settled over the room as they huddled around a bowl of popcorn, watching a rerun of the X Factor episode that launched One Direction's career. On the screen, a younger, nervous Niall stood before the judges, his voice cracking as he sang. Maeve felt a pang of something akin to pride. It was a stark contrast to the polished pop star he was today. A flicker of his signature cheeky grin flashed across the screen, a silent reminder of the boy she knew, the friend she confided in. A lump formed in her throat, threatening to spill her secret into the open.

Suddenly, Sarah let out a choked sob, tears glistening in her eyes. She reached for the tissue box on the coffee table, her voice thick with emotion. "I can't believe how young they were," she whispered, echoing Maeve's unspoken sentiment.

At that moment, a connection sparked between them. It wasn't just about the music or the fame; it was about the journey, the shared experience of witnessing these boys grow from wide-eyed teenagers into global superstars.

For the first time that day, Maeve's secret felt less like a burden and more like a shared history, a bond that transcended the manufactured drama of reality TV.

As the movie's credits started to roll, Maeve glanced at the other girls in the room. Olivia was sound asleep, her face smothered with a One Direction face mask. Nadia had her nose buried in a book, with a subtle smile on her lips. On the other hand, Riley was deep in concentration, sketching something in her notebook. Despite all the competition jitters, Maeve was feeling a little bit better. The thought of navigating this crazy new world, keeping her secret close to her heart, and making unexpected friendships brought a spark of hope within her. The future may be uncertain, but like the flickering light of the TV screen, she was ready to shine.

Original chapter published December 24, 2013

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.8K 1.1K 28
One Direction. The biggest boyband right now. There debut album has just dropped, and the tour starts in a few months. But what happens when a girl...
49.6K 716 23
Grace was just a normal girl, had a job at her Aunt's Pub, loved spending time with her best friend, and was a happy-go-lucky kind of girl. But she h...
1.1M 20.3K 51
*note: they aren't famous in this story & it's fiction so the facts are not true ok just saying lol* Harry Styles, 19 year old school heartthrob, is...
786K 16.6K 78
Jade Collins is a 19 years old teenager. She has just completed her degree for Media Makeup at the College of Fashion, in London. Just as she is done...