Meet Me at Dawn

By JustOnEmOrEgRl

One handsome rogue, one headstrong miss, and one compromising night. Exiled from polite society, and forever... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
A little note...
Chapter Eighteen (partial)
Chapter Eighteen, continued
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Three (partial)
Chapter Twenty-three (continued)
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty-two

4.9K 196 15
By JustOnEmOrEgRl

Yay! New chapter. Hope y'all like it. Sorry it's been so long—this past semester has been a little rough, so I'm hoping to finish this off before I start again next month. Happy holidays to you all!

He cleared his throat several times before I surmised that he would not leave before I acknowledged his presence. I squared my shoulders and plastered a nonchalant look upon my face before turning to brave whatever it was he had to say to me.

"My lord," I greeted coolly. He nodded in response, ignoring the elicited stares from the gossip mongers surrounding the refreshment table. They waited, eager to hear whatever it was he had to say to such an unimportant member of the party.

"Miss Kathryn," he began, and around us I heard collective gasps and the immediate hushed tones of whispering. "Please allow me to escort you to Lady Allenwyk, as she wishes your presence," he finished. I thought for a moment to simply deny the request, however, I concluded it would not be wise to anger her. I acquiesced and replaced my glass on the table before taking his proffered arm. As he escorted me across the room, I was quite aware of the blatant glares aimed at my person from every marriageable young lady at the party as well as their mommas, who grumbled amongst themselves. It was not as if they had a thing to be jealous of, for he was merely completing a task set forth upon him by his mother.

In fact, it was not as if he had asked my hand for a dance. So why was it then that they all stared after me enviously? I truly did not even wish to be in his presence at the moment, and would have gladly given any one of them my coveted position upon Sutherland's arm. I was only slightly relieved when we arrived at our destination, where he none too quickly deposited me in the care of his mother.

"That is not how I told the maid to dress your coiffure," she said without preamble. I cringed inwardly at her bird-like glower, but knew that I could not have her berate the maid for something so trite.

 "My lady, it was my fault that she did not follow your instructions. You see, I was so very late in dressing that she did not have adequate time to arrange my hair lest I should be late to the ball." She appeared to accept that explanation, however not before instructing me on proper decorum in the timing of dressing, readying for balls, and the like. I listened to her words without much heed, for I truly believed that she spoke for the sake of merely hearing her own voice.

 After a few moments of standing, rather disenchanted by the company I currently held, I moved to excuse myself. In spite of my quiet and unassuming attempt, I was stalled by the arrival of another guest to our party. I faced away from the newcomer, but froze in place as she spoke to Lady Allenwyk.

 "Fanny, dear, where is that bumpkin of a ward you so complained about earlier. I cannot seem to spot her anywhere on this blasted crowded ballroom."

 Dear Lord! Could it be? I remained rooted in place, the nagging claws of fear scratching their way to the surface. I suddenly found it difficult to breathe despite my lack of a corset. I clenched and unclenched the gloved hands at my sides, knowing there would be crescent-shaped marks decorating my palms by the end of this night.

 "Georgianna!" the viscountess exclaimed, "Watch your tongue. The chit is right here before your eyes." Seeing that I had not yet turned for the introduction, she shifted her attention to me. "Kathryn, this is the Countess of Wilmington. Lady Wilmington, may I present my ward, Miss Kathryn."

 I remained facing away from my grandmother, knowing that she, of all people, would at once recognize me. However before I knew it, Lady Allenwyk had made her way to my side and led me straight to the countess, to my own kin. As I finally raised my eyes to meet hers, I met with a look of recognition, which immediately transformed into a look of utter shock.

 "Kit?" she said weakly. I silently pleaded for her not to make a scene while she continued to stare at me in disbelief. I managed to glance sideways to gauge Lady Allenwyk's reaction to my grandmother's state of surprise. She appeared absolutely bewildered by my grandmother's utterance, her mouth opening and closing as if she was at a loss of words. I watched as my grandmother's face became wan and pale, and I dearly hoped she would not swoon. Quickly, I took her hand in mine, if only to silently reassure her that I was truly there and she was not imagining my presence.

 The myriad of guests nearby hushed their conversations, and the music went silent, as each pair of eyes turned toward the countess. "Perhaps we should take you outside for some air. It is quite hot in here, is it not?" I offered, not waiting for her to answer, and simply led her out the French doors leading to the terrace. It was possibly the only opportunity for me to explain to her what I could before the entire party would gather around.

 I led her as quickly as I could out to the terrace and down the steps leading to the gardens. Hoping that we would not encounter any lovers' trysts upon the way, I pulled her along until we reached a stone bench beneath the trees. By this time, it appeared that she had somewhat regained her composure. Before I could even think of how to begin to explain my situation she spoke, and quite forcefully for a woman of her age. "Why in the devil is Fanny calling you a bumpkin?"

 My mouth opened to answer, but immediately snapped shut as I saw the glare she pinned on me. I felt the wave of embarrassment wash over me, and knew that she would stop nothing short of scolding me as if I were a small child. "What in the devil are you about child?" she demanded.

 "Grandmama," I began in a pleading voice. As I spoke, I heard voices approach nearer, and hoped that they would not come upon us. "There is not enough time to explain now. Please, Grandmama, I will tell you everything later, but for now, we must act as if we do not know each other. It will be for best." She looked at me warily, disappointment edging its way into her gaze.

 The source of the voices came upon us all too quickly as I did not have time to say more. "Lady Wilmington is anything amiss?" asked the man at the head of the group.

 "Ah, yes, yes. Everything is quite all right. Leave it to a country rustic to know the benefits of a breath of fresh air after standing all night in a crowded ballroom," she quipped, leading to hushed chuckles amongst the group. I smiled sheepishly as she left my side and began to walk back to the house.

 I could not approach my grandmother once more as she was in constant attendance with a group of dowager matrons who clucked about her, worried that I might have spoiled her mood with my presence. I stood awkwardly and silently at the edge of the ballroom, watching the members of the ton comfortably take their place among each other. It was then that I realized that no matter how much I had changed, I never truly belonged in their social circles due my unconventional mindset. It seemed that tonight I was not the only one who did not feel part of the party, for many of the nouveau riche Americans were turned down when they approached conversation with the haughty lords and ladies.

 Sutherland, however, did not seem to be unapproachable as the others. He stood amongst a group of what seemed to be American entrepreneurs discussing business of some sort. I watched him as he spoke, gauging his reactions to their boisterous laughs at their own quips. All at once, while I observed him, he turned his gaze upon me. I could not read his expression, but I felt my face flush at the intensity of his stare. I nodded and turned away, hoping that he would not take my inquisitive scrutiny as a silent askance for his company. Lest he think I was in want of companionship, I hastily walked over to stand near a large potted plant of some sort against the gleaming rosewood panels.

 As I reached my destination, I sought to conceal myself behind the plant, effectively shielding myself from any unwanted attention. Unfortunately, I had not noticed that Sutherland left the group of Americans to follow me. "Are you lurking about to avoid my mother or me?"

 I jumped at the question, emitting a small gasp as he approached me from behind. "Neither, my lord. I merely wanted to quietly collect my thoughts." I turned to look at him coolly, in my best attempt to appear unfazed by his close proximity. He looked over me to gaze upon the party, absent-mindedly clasping his hands behind his back.

 "If making a match is on your mind, I am sure my mother would arrange for your introduction to some American businessman," he told me, not bothering to look at me whilst he spoke.

 "It is not," I scoffed. I opened my mouth to say more, but paused as an idea came to me. "Though, I must say that being around these American businessmen, as you call them, has made me remember some things."

 It was his turn to look bewildered. "Pray, what is your meaning?"

 "I believe I remember how I came to be a stable boy." I paused, watching him bestow me with his full attention. "I believe I traveled here to attend a cousin's wedding, and while finding my way around the docks I was robbed by some lowly sailor. I could not locate my cousin's whereabouts and thus had to find a way to obtain money to pay my passage back."

 Sutherland pinned me with a questioning stare, as if he was wondering if I could concoct such a fantastical story. I stared back at him, daring him to doubt me, meanwhile hoping he did not. "If you would be so kind, my lord, I would like to go back. If you could give me enough for passage, I promise to repay you." He was the first to look away.

 He remained silent, his gaze unwavering, as I shifted on my feet, feeling the full weight of his scrutiny. The prolonged interminable quiet led me to believe that he had nothing to say to me. Breathing a heavy sigh, I turned to walk away from him, only to see my grandmother's impassioned glare.

 I froze mid-step, inwardly cringing at the thought of the scene that would soon ensue.

 "My gratitude for returning my granddaughter to me, Lord Sutherland," she said with an eerily calm voice. "Your mother tells me that you have been hiding her away in your home for quite some time now."

 Sutherland bowed silently while glaring at me with a side-glance. "My lady—," he began.

 "I do not want to hear your reasons. You will receive the reward from my steward once the two of you are wed," she interrupted, with an air of authority, which one would not dare to broach.

 By this time, all of the dancing couples had ceased their steps, and those in conversation silenced their words, all staring at the scene before them. This would surely be the topic of the gossipmongers for days to come, likely the most important on dit of the Season. I glanced frantically between my grandmother and Sutherland, waiting for him to refute the forced marriage as he did before.

 When he did not, I took it upon myself to defy my grandmother's wishes. "Grandmama, I could not possibly marry Lord Sutherland. Not only did he follow proper decorum by having Lady Allenwyk chaperone, but he is betrothed to another," I attempted to explain calmly. I looked to Sutherland pleadingly, willing him to voice his reassurances to my grandmother, knowing that he was not one to be forced into marriage, no matter the situation.

 She waved her hand in dismissal, "Posh, we will discuss the details and the date at a later time." She paused as she turned away, "Sutherland, just because I have allowed this engagement does not give you leave to behave improperly. Do not forget yourself." Sutherland said nothing as she made her way across the floor, exiting the ballroom, presumably to retire to her chambers.

 Blood pounded in my ears as I struggled to contain my frustration. Why did he not say anything? Why did he agree to this farcical engagement? How could he have changed so drastically from the lord I knew years ago? Lost in my own thoughts, I belatedly noticed Abigail storming off, leaving in her wake hushed tones resembling the spread of gossip. It then dawned upon me as to why he would agree to such an arrangement.

 The promised reward that Reggie spoke of at the dinner party.

 Was he in need of funds so desperately that he would marry someone he previously rejected?

 I pulled myself from my thoughts to ask him that exact question. Why else would he be so willing to proceed? However, as I regained a sense of my surroundings, I realized that not only had the room returned to its raucous of gaiety and music, but Sutherland had walked away and was nowhere to be seen from my vantage point. It appeared that I was no longer the center point of the night's entertainment. I heard none-too disguised whispers of Abigail's outburst and the way she stormed off in a huff as I proceeded to make my way through the masses. Though I despised gossip, hearing it about her did not make me feel badly.

 As I reached the doors, I took one last glance about the room, searching for a sight of Sutherland yet did not see any sign of him. Concluding that he had already withdrawn from the ball, I followed suit, hoping that on the morrow I would have the opportunity to persuade him to cry off from this engagement that neither of us wanted.      

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 82 17
Crista Vanderbelt known as "Rain" has fallen from the sky. a young man named Harlem rescues Rain, bringing her to a hospital. She escapes from the ho...
6.7M 234K 66
After being cheated on and abandoned, Alpha Dimitri refuses to ever love another woman again. His daughters, Sara and Sage watch as its consequences...
126K 5K 62
"Who are you?" She said looking at him. "Where have you gotten me?" she crawled back on the bed, looking around the peculiar room. She saw him movin...
221K 8K 29
"....I feel it deep within, Its just beneath the skin, I must confesses that I Feel like a monster. " - lyrics t...