I'm Dreaming of a Black Chris...

By DanielWhyteIII

More

I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11

Episode 6

36 1 0
By DanielWhyteIII

Chapter 16

Rev. Nichols did not waste any time in carrying out his plan.

“Deacon Klipspringer, it’s been a while, but what’s been going on?”

“Not much, Rev. Nichols. I’m just trying to enjoy my early retirement. Sometimes I’m tempted to go back to work.”

“Well, I have a little job for you,” Rev. Nichols said. He shared with Tucker Klipspringer the things that had been going on at his house.

“So, what do you want me to do?” Tucker asked.

“I just want you to survey the place and find out who’s trespassing on my property and shake them up a little.”

Tucker Klipspringer laughed. He was a retired police officer with a degree in criminal justice and a former deacon of First Baptist Church.

“Once you find out who it is, I can take it from there,” Rev. Nichols told him, after which he shared the situation between Cassandra and Grant Barnett. “I don’t think it’s him because he’s away in Florida and I’ve already spoken with his father about them staying away from here. But you can start by keeping an eye on the Barnetts. The father is Rev. Barnett of Mt. Shiloh Baptist. He owns the soul food restaurant across town.”

“I got you,” Tucker said.

After about a week, Tucker reported back to Rev. Nichols. “I can assure you, the Barnetts are not involved. They lead a quiet life — go to the restaurant, go home, go to church, go home, go to the store — you know, everyday stuff. We’ll be watching your house more closely now.”

“Okay, Tucker. Keep me abreast.”

____________

Jake Seymour received a package from Grant for Grant Lee. As previously discussed, Jake was to remove the outer wrapping with the name and address of the receiver as well as the sender and drop the package off with discretion.

He dropped it off at about 2:30 the next morning. Unknown to Jake, Tucker Klipspringer was parked at the end of the street keeping an eye on the Nichols’ household. All he saw was a tall figure with a coat and hat on.

Early that morning when Cassandra was leaving to take Grant Lee to the sitter so she could attend classes, she noticed the package which she dropped inside the door.

“Mom, there’s an unmarked package. I’m leaving it inside the door, I have to go.”

“I’ll get it,” Natalie said walking out of the kitchen.

Natalie opened up the package. It contained six little boy outfits. No doubt these are for Grant Lee. But who could have sent them? she thought. Grant’s not around. Surely Cassandra’s not seeing someone else.

She showed her husband the contents of the package and voiced her thoughts to him.

“It would be best to ask her than to be here guessing and assuming things that might not be true,” her husband told her.

Whatever it is, she thought as she took the package up to the attic after re-taping down the opened side, these will be safe up here.

When Cassandra returned home, she denied seeing anyone stating that she was not interested in having a relationship with anyone but Grant.

____________

Tucker Klipspringer hired a friend, Jimmy Adair, to keep an eye on the house during the daytime. “Someone comes at different times throughout the week and places something in the mail or on the porch,” Jimmy reported to him.

“Can you make out who it is?”

“Kind of hard to tell. Whoever it is has a cap pulled down over his forehead, with a coat on and his car windows are tinted. It looks like a dark skinned person.”

Tucker reported this to Rev. Nichols. “I want you to get him as soon as you can. We have to find out who it is and why he’s doing what he’s doing, because Cassandra has no idea who it is,” Benjamin Nichols told Tucker.

“These letters they have dropped off are typed and signed ‘a friend’,” Natalie said to her husband after retrieving some unmarked mail from the mailbox over a week’s time. “They are definitely for Cassandra.”

Natalie showed Cassandra a couple of the letters, but Cassandra insisted she did not know who it was, but she later told Prudence, “I am thinking that somehow Grant may be using a different strategy to stay in touch with me. I can’t say for sure, though. There’s no return address or name.”

During Wednesday night prayer meeting, while the Nichols’ family was away at church, Jake dropped off a medium-sized box. His shoe lace had become untied as he hurried back to his car. Opening up the driver’s side, he rested his foot on the seat and bended over to tie his lace. A car pulled up behind him with its headlights on high beam.

“Hey, you!” someone shouted getting out of the car.

Jake jumped into his car and quickly took off with the other car following close behind. Darting in and out of traffic he cut across the railroad tracks to the other side of town where he turned his car lights off, but still drove on. Knowing the neighborhood like the back of his hand, he soon lost his pursuer.

“That was close,” Jake sighed. “I’ve got to be more careful.”

Natalie took the box to her room. “It’s probably some more cosmetics,” she told Cassandra and Prudence on her way up the stairs.

“Just as I thought,” Natalie said to her husband as she took some toys out the box. “More stuff for Grant Lee.”

Before Benjamin could answer, the phone rang.

“Hello, Nichols’ residence.”

“Hello, Ben, this is Tucker. Got something for you. My partner, Jimmy, chased someone away from your house tonight over to the black side of town, so whoever it is, he’s from over there.”

“Thanks, Tucker. Great work. I’m going to try and stay up some nights in case the culprit comes by again.”

On Thursday night, Rev. Nichols stayed up in his office waiting. He heard the front gate creak open. He glanced discreetly through the curtains to see a figure come up the front steps, quickly loosen the lightbulb to put the light out, then do what he had to do. Rev. Nichols phoned Tucker who was waiting inside the garage. Tucker called Jimmy who was laying low in his car a few houses up from the Nichols’ residence.

Rev. Nichols quickly left his study to look out the small window above the front door. Through the window, he saw a man’s dark face in the moonlight. He was trying to stick a letter in the screen door which was locked.

Tucker quietly came through the side door of the garage. Once he reached the front steps, he flicked his flashlight on and shone it directly into Jake’s face. Jake was caught off guard, but he quickly recovered and was about to dart down the steps, but saw Tucker on the middle step, blocking his path.

“Don’t move, or you’re dead,” Tucker said.

Jake took a step back, and grabbing the iron rail on the side of the steps, he swung his feet over the rail to land in the flower bed. Tucker seemingly reading his mind stepped to the side of the steps behind the rail. Jake kicked at him as he landed in the flowerbed and sent Tucker flying backwards towards the ground. Jake then jumped over him and made a run for his car. Tucker pulled a gun and rolling over onto his knees, fired a shot which shattered one of the side windows of Jake’s car.

Jimmy backed up and turned his car across the road, blocking Jake from driving off, but Jake jumped into his car, put the car in reverse, then sped forward onto the sidewalk knocking down a part of Mrs. Casabelle’s wooden fence. He sped off down the road. Jimmy took off after him. Tucker followed in his car which was parked across the street. “We’ve got to get him, Jimmy. Anything goes,” he said over his cellphone.

“Sure, I got him.”

Just as Jake crossed the tracks, a shot rang out, shattering his rear window and grazing him on the right side of his neck. He yelled as he placed his hand up to his neck.

He swerved his car to the right, then to the left to shake Jimmy off. He took his eyes off the road for a split second to glance over his shoulders when he hit a huge ditch. His attempts to drive out failed.

By the time Jake struggled out the driver’s side, Jimmy had caught up with him and grabbed him from the shadows and threw him to the ground.

“I’ll teach you not to trespass on private property,” Jimmy said slamming his fist into Jake’s jaw. “You stay on your side of the tracks where you belong, boy.”

Jake fought back as hard as he could but collapsed to the ground as a blow to the head knocked him unconscious.

Chapter 17

Early Friday morning before the Nichols household started to stir, Tucker Klipspringer left a message on Rev. Nichols’ cell: “Don’t worry, Rev. We got him on the other side. You shouldn’t have anymore problems.”

“Did you shake him up a little?” Rev. Nichols asked Tucker when he returned his call later that day.

“More than a little. But don’t you worry. He won’t be bothering you all anymore.”

Rev. Nichols knew exactly what Tucker meant so he did not ask any more questions.

“Thanks, Tucker. I owe you one.”

____________

Rev. Barnett sat in his office at the restaurant to listen to the evening news and to rest his feet awhile. A special news flash came on:

The body of a young black man was found hanging from a noose in the woods behind the Pembrooke Apartments about ten minutes ago. The two teenagers who found the body said they were headed for the creek to swim when they saw it. The police searched the body for any identification and found the name Jake Seymour written on a piece of paper with the letter ‘X’ written under it. The police said it could be anything from foul play, drug related, or suicide. One officer said the style of the noose fits the one they teach military students how to make. The death is still under investigation.

Rev. Barnett sat up in his chair. Jake Seymour. “Hey, Athaliah,” he said after calling his wife up on the phone. “Turn to the local news channel. Keep watching. There’s a news piece about Jake Seymour’s body found hanging in the woods behind Pembrooke Apartments. Listen and see if it’s Jake from the church. Call his parents and see if they have heard from him lately.”

Athaliah returned his call after about five minutes. “The Seymours have not heard from Jake since Thursday evening, but they’ll give us a call as soon as they hear something. I’ll listen in on the news.”

Jake Seymour’s death seems to be foul play, police are saying. Seymour had a busted lip, swollen jaw, and swelling on the back of his head. He was hit on the back of the head with a hard instrument. The police also noticed a bullet wound on his neck. Stay tuned for further updates.

The Seymours called Rev. Barnett. “We’ll be going down to the police station to identify the body.”

Rev. Barnett waited anxiously to receive a phone call from them. He thought about what a good person Jake had been. Jake went to high school with Grant, and was a faithful member of Mt. Shiloh. He was a young man who could be depended on and had a promising future before him. Whatever caused his death is a mystery to me.

The Seymours placed a call to Rev. Barnett expressing their worst fears. “The body is Jake’s, Rev. Barnett,” Mrs. Seymour sobbed. “Like we told the police we have no doubt his death has nothing to do with drugs, and it is definitely not suicide. That boy had Jesus written all over him.”

Rev. Barnett wasted no time calling Grant. Grant could not believe it. “No, not Jake Seymour! He was on the road to success,” he told his dad. By the time they hung up the phone, Grant had no doubt Jake’s death had something to do with the secret visits he was making for him to Cassandra’s house. He shuddered at the thought that that could have been his sister, Carolyn, or even his mother, or possibly his father. After all, Rev. Nichols did say he would sue them for trespassing if they came on his property.

Guilt immediately overtook him. Jake is dead because of me. This thought ate at him throughout the next week leading up to the funeral.

Jake’s death was a shocker to Cassandra as she listened to the news on Friday. “Jake Seymour went to school with us,” she shared with her parents and Prudence. “I wonder what happened.”

Rev. Nichols knew exactly what happened even though Tucker did not fill him in on the details when he told him ‘we got him on the other side.’ That meant it was a colored person who was trespassing. Cassandra’s reaction also confirmed she had no knowledge of what had been taking place. To smother his overwhelming guilt he gave Cassandra permission to attend the funeral when she expressed a desire to do so. “I may even attend myself,” he told her.

“This is a tragic situation,” Rev. Barnett said as he preached at Jake’s homegoing service. “The loss of a life at such a young age. Jake had the world before him. For those of you who may be wondering where Jake is right now, for those of you who may be wondering what happens after death, let me tell you. Jake is in Heaven right now. I have no doubt about that because I had the privilege of leading Jake to the Lord myself. What happens after death? You go to one of two places: Heaven or Hell. To go to Hell, you do not have to do anything; just continue living as you are, ignoring God and doing your thing.

“To go to Heaven, you must believe on Jesus Christ; you must call upon the name of the Lord. As Jesus says in John 3:15, ‘Whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.’ Jesus goes on to say, ‘for God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.’ Simply believe, folks.”

What was a homegoing for Jake was a homecoming for others as many accepted the invitation to give their life to Jesus Christ. Cassandra and Prudence also rededicated their lives to Christ.

The day following the funeral, Grant gave his father a call. Immediately, he broke into tears. “Dad, I have a confession to make,” he cried. “I could have made it to Jake’s funeral, but I chose not to. I just could not face him or Mr. and Mrs. Seymour, and neither could I face you.”

“What are you talking about, Grant?”

“Dad, I feel responsible for Jake’s death. In fact, I know I had something to do with it.”

Rev. Barnett waited for his son to continue.

“After the conversation we had where you told me not to have anymore contact with Cassandra and just to pray about it and leave it in God’s hands, well, I did pray about it, but I did not leave it in God’s hands. I called Jake up and basically hired him to drop off letters and packages for Cassandra at the Nichols’ house. I told him to do it secretly. He did it as a friend, not expecting anything for it. Dad, I’m so sorry for disobeying you. Dad, please forgive me.” Grant’s voice cracked under the guilt he had been carrying all week. His father listened to him crying for a few minutes.

Rev. Barnett did not know what to say. He prayed silently for wisdom.

“You know, Grant,” he began softly, “I’ve never known you to be an outright disobedient child, but as I’ve shared with you in private as well as from the pulpit, when you reach a certain age, your disobedience is between you and God. I believe God has dealt with you harshly for disobeying Him by allowing Jake’s death. What you did smacks of selfishness; you wanted what you wanted right now. You were not willing to wait, and a lot of life as a Christian is waiting — waiting on God, waiting until God gives the go-ahead or puts His stamp of approval on something you’re involved in.”

“Yes, Dad,” Grant agreed meekly.

“I appreciate your coming clean, and I forgive you, son. I know God has forgiven you. Just don’t do something like this again.”

“I won’t, Dad.”

“Now, understand that even though God has forgiven you and I have forgiven you, there are still consequences for disobedience. As to what that may be, I can’t say for sure. But whatever it is, God will let you know. Anyway, we’ll let the police handle the situation right now until God leads us otherwise. Okay?”

Chapter 18

Natalie felt in her spirit that Grant Barnett had something to do with Jake dropping off the gifts and letters, but she kept her thoughts to herself. Two days after the funeral, she went up to the attic where she had hidden all correspondence from Grant to Cassandra over the past two years. She copied down Grant’s mailing address. This letter to Grant should put a stop to everything, she thought as she sat before her typewriter to type the letter. Short and to the point, she reminded herself.

Dear Grant Barnett,

I hope this letter finds you doing well. Cassandra and Grant Lee are doing great. We heard about the death of your friend, Jake. Our condolences to you.

I am writing this letter at this time to inform you that Cassandra will be getting married soon. She tried to get in touch with you but was unable to. Now that I have found your address, I will pass it on to her. You should be hearing from her soon. Being that you had ceased keeping in touch with Cassandra, we felt you shunned your responsibility to her and to your son, so we told Cassandra that it would be best for her to go on with her life rather than waste her best years hoping for something that will never happen.

I am sure you will be happy to know that she will be marrying someone who is mature, responsible, disciplined, and hard working, and who will be and already is a great father to Grant Lee during these critical years when he needs his father in his life. With her getting married, there is no need for you to try to keep in touch with her anymore, even for Grant Lee’s sake. As I stated, her husband will be a great father to Grant Lee whom he already loves and adores. I wish you all the best.

Mrs. Nichols

Natalie sealed and sent the letter registered mail.

Grant was very hurt after he read the letter. He felt now more than ever that Jake lost his life for nothing. How could Cassandra do him like that, when both had promised to remain true to each other, and if either of them were unable to, they would let the other know? He angrily pulled his ring off his finger and, after turning it around for several seconds, tossed it on his bed. So much for that, he thought.

____________

The days turned into weeks, the weeks into months, and the months into years. Before anyone really thought about the years, twelve of them had passed.

Cassandra spent another year living with her parents. She accepted her father’s offer of a position at his bank. When Grant Lee was three going on four, and after Prudence had returned home to California, Cassandra moved out to live on her own — not too far from her parents’ home. She got tired of their — especially her mother’s — constant scrutiny. She tried to keep up with Grant by stopping by the restaurant every now and then for some soul-food, which Grant Lee loved as well. Every once in a while she visited Mt. Shiloh. She did not tell Grant Lee who his real father was fearing that Grant would not stay true to his word.

Grant Lee grew to be mature beyond his years. He was a loveable child. Football became his passion and he looked more and more like his father each day.

Rev. and Mrs. Barnett always had a kind and encouraging word for Cassandra whenever they saw her. Her inquiries about Grant grew less and less as the years went by. She had just decided to remain true to her promise to him, trusting God for the final outcome. But even though she had good intentions, unable to stand up against her mother’s prodding anymore, she consented to marrying Paul Nielson, a member of First Baptist Church. Although her heart was not one hundred percent with it, she forced herself into thinking Grant Lee needed a father after fourteen years of not having one. But, even at that she always kept hope alive that Grant would return — hopefully before she and Paul would be married.

Rev. Benjamin Nichols felt guilt rise up in him every now and then, as the thought of his part in Jake Seymour’s death still plagued him. He still was not sure what exactly happened the night of his death, and would never know as Tucker Klipspringer had died of a sudden heart attack a couple of months afterwards. As for Jimmy, he had no idea who he was.

Natalie Nichols, at every turn, tried to talk Cassandra into marrying and not waiting for Grant. “You’re pining away and wasting your young life. He’s not staying true to his word, just like I tried to tell you.” She introduced Cassandra to just about every possible suitor there was in the church, inviting them over for dinner on the Sundays Cassandra and Grant Lee would come by.

While in his last year of college, to his great delight, Grant Barnett won the Heisman Trophy. Once he left Miami, he played for the Denver Broncos, leading the team to the division championship in his first two seasons before being drafted to play for the Oakland Raiders. He was still with the Raiders when he received the disturbing phone call from his father four days before Christmas Day which he felt for sure would be another bleak holiday.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 729 25
𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭. "𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞. 𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝...
691K 25.5K 27
𝘪𝘥𝘬 𝘸𝘩𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘱𝘢𝘥 𝘥𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘪𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯