The Trickster's Bride

By SamanthaHenderson742

Rani, a young Scandinavian girl, has spent most of her life in Midgard. But one day, she is kidnapped and whi... More

Chapter One: Freyja
Chapter Two: Rani
Chapter Three: Loki
Chapter Four: Freyja
Chapter Five: Rani
Chapter Six: Rani
Chapter Seven: Loki
Chapter Eight: Rani
Chapter Nine: Njord
Chapter Eleven: Loki
Chapter Twelve: Loki
Chapter Thirteen: Rani
Chapter Fourteen: Rani
Chapter Fifteen: Frigga
Chapter Sixteen: Loki
Chapter Seventeen: Rani
Chapter Eighteen: Loki
Chapter Nineteen: Rani
Chapter Twenty: Loki
Chapter Twenty One: Freyja
Chapter Twenty-Two: Rani
Chapter Twenty Three: Loki
Chapter Twenty-Four: Rani
Chapter Twenty-Five: Loki
Chapter Twenty-Six: Skadi
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Rani
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Frigga
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Rani
Chapter Thirty: Rani
Chapter Thirty-One: Sif
Chapter Thirty-Two: Rani
Chapter Thirty-Three: Loki
Chapter Thirty-Four: Rani
Chapter Thirty-Five: Loki
Chapter Thirty-Six: Rani
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Frigga
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Skadi
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Skadi
Chapter Forty: Rani
Chapter Forty-One: Skadi
Chapter Forty-Two: Rani
Chapter Forty-Three: Loki
Chapter Forty-Four: Rani
Chapter Forty-Five: Epilogue

Chapter Ten: Frigga

1.4K 65 3
By SamanthaHenderson742

Freyr notified me once Rani had met with their father. Little did she know, their reunion had been a trial of sorts. For when we are forced into a situation that tests our emotions, our true selves come to light.

And as I was told, Rani performed beautifully, even in the face of her oldest enemy, Skadi.

I was quite impressed. I had seen many things in my numerous years as Queen of Asgard. Very little shocked me any more. But this girl had done just that. I knew from the start she was good-natured, but she was much more than that.

I still stood by my decision. She would be perfectfor Loki. Freyja had been the one to consult the stars, but I knew we were heading in the right direction to save my son.

Of course, I had intended on having Rani meet her mother, as well. Unfortunately, Kara and the other Valkyries had been extraordinarily busy recently, since Midgard was currently overwhelmed with warfare on all fronts. And with Freyja spending the past few years attending to Rani's training, the Valkyries took up the slack. But soon, Freyja could return to the battlefields to pick her Chosen, and perhaps then Kara and Rani could meet.

Soon, Rani's coronation as a true Goddess was on the horizon. As was customary, we invited her to stay with us in Asgard until the ceremony. I traveled to Fanndis myself to escort my future daughter-in-law.

Rani was already packing when I arrived. She didn't have very much, just a few gowns and books. It all fit neatly in a little carved trunk. Freyja and Freyr were very sad to see her go. It seems that the children of Njord had grown quite fond of each other. I hated to tear them apart. But, of course, this was not forever. They were free to visit at any time. They would be attending Rani's coronation and wedding. But change was coming to their little family, and eventually they would all be far too busy to see one another as often as they liked. Such had happened with my sons, when they went about their ways. It came with the territory of being an Aesir.

After the rounds of embraces and goodbyes, Rani and I took our leave. We clambered into my fine white carriage, drawn by two large cheetahs. There were faster ways to move about Asgard, but I preferred the pleasant journey the old-fashioned way. I enjoyed the leisurely drive along the Bifrost.

Rani watched Fanndis disappear as we rode up the hill. There was a poignant sadness in her eyes. Perhaps a bit of conversation would ease her mind.

"I hear you had a lovely visit from Njord," I said.

She turned to me with a grin. Definitely her father's smile. "Oh yes," she said, "it was wonderful. We all got along just fine. Besides Skadi of course. But I cannot really hold a grudge. She must have been very uncomfortable."

Where some ladies might have spoken thus in false concern, I could feel that Rani was genuine. I was extremely pleased with this young girl. Perhaps her time in Midgard was the best thing that could have happened for her. She was very, as they say, down to earth.

"I simply cannot believe all these years have flown by," I sighed, resting my chin in my palm. "I feel that only last week we welcomed you back to Asgard. And here, you have adapted to your environment beautifully."

Rani blushed soft pink, lowering her jade eyes humbly. "Thank you, Lady Frigga," she said in her alto voice. "I have enjoyed it very much. I do sometimes long for my family in Midgard, but I know they are doing well."

"Freyja has kept you in touch with them?' I asked curiously.

"She has kept me up to date," Rani said, "and they are very happy. They are thriving. Someday, I shall visit them." A bright, beaming smile lit up Rani's face. I marveled again at the sweetness of her young heart.

I was about to inquire about Midgard, when a vision came to me. This is my blessing, and my curse. I see the future, good and bad, but I am bound to never share others' fates. In this vision, I was heartbroken and feeling lost. I was kneeling upon a cold stone floor, with bloody bandages around me. My vision was dim, but I saw bars. I was flooded with hopelessness.

When I came to, Rani was shaking me, her eyes wide with fear. "Lady Frigga, are you alright? Should I stop the carriage?"

I blinked furiously, attempting to regain my bearings. In my vision, I had been Rani. I was certain of it. What troubles awaited her?

"I'm quite alright," I assured her. "I was just feeling a bit faint."

"Are you hungry? Thirsty? Is the sun bothering you?" Rani was still concerned.

I shook my head. I didn't want to tell her of my visions, they would only drive her mad with anticipation. This was why I never shared what I Saw. The burden was mine to bear.

"Perhaps I'm hungry. Reach behind you, for the basket. There should be something in there." I let Rani give me a sweet roll and flask of wine, despite the fact that my stomach was churning. I nibbled at the food, regaining my strength. My mind was racing now, furiously trying to make sense of my vision.

"I do apologize for worrying you," I said, smiling. "It seems I had gone without eating too long. I do that sometimes, I get so busy." She smiled back weakly, obviously not convinced.

So I cleared my throat, forcing myself to straighten up. "As I was saying before I... swooned," I said with a chuckle, "I'm sure your foster parents would love to attend your wedding. If you'd like them to be there, I'm sure I could speak to Odin and arrange something."

Rani's eyes filled with joy, and I knew I had led her right where I needed her. But then, she pursed her lips in thought. "That is a wonderful gesture, Lady Frigga, and I thank you for it," she said, "but I think it would be better off if they stayed in Midgard. Please forgive me for my honesty, but I'm not sure they would understand my betrothal. I fear Loki is not exactly... venerated in Midgard."

She had led the conversation right where I wanted to go. I had been hoping to have this conversation with her sooner rather than later. "I understand," I said with a dramatic sigh. "There are many who see my beloved son in a light he does not rightly deserve."

The girl leaned forward a bit, curious now. I doubted she'd been told much about her future husband. "Please, what do you mean?" Rani urged, eyes glossy with curiosity.

"My Loki has always been a unique individual," I said, love warming my words. "He's wildly intelligent, nearly too smart for his own good. And he's always been a little mischievous." I could tell Rani was spellbound. I knew she was nervous about her wedding, but I could sense a part of her hoped for love and happiness. I hoped for that, too. Not all marriages had love. Look at Njord and Skadi!

"However," I went on," most people simply see Loki as untrustworthy and tricky. They do not see the motivation behind his actions.”

Rani was enthralled, anxiously waiting for me to continue. "You see," I explained, "each child is different. Our oldest, Thor, is much like his father. Tyr is a man's man, with war and women on his mind. Bragi is our wise and eloquent artist, who charms everyone he meets. And my dear twins...” here I trailed off sadly, feeling the loss of my two late sons. Rani patted my hand sympathetically. She had heard the story of my twin boys, who were both killed in acts of vengeance and jealousy. “Well, my twins were a handful, but they were carefree and passionate. Odin gets along so well with Thor and Tyr. He has a good relationship with Bragi, and he loved the twins' antics. Bless Odin's heart, he does try his best in all that he does. But sometimes there are things even outside the AllFather's wisdom. Loki is one of those things.

"Loki is our adopted son, and half Jotunn at that. Since he learned of his true parentage, he has struggled to find his place. Is he an Asgardian or Jotunn? Where does he fit in the Aesir? What he has yet to realize is that the choice is his to make."

"Well why hasn't he realized it yet?" breathed Rani. She was a problem-solver, always looking for the solution. I smiled at her, for she was already taking her place in my heart.

"Loki tends to not think very highly of himself. He puts up a good front, yes, but he cannot fool his mother. So he acts out, because of the hurt in his heart. He feels he is second best to his brothers, that Odin cares naught for him, that he is undeserving of love because he is Jotunn."

Now Rani's eyes were full of sadness, for this poor man so lost within himself. Now she would hopefully understand my son's strange ways. Perhaps she knew his sorrow. She had been exiled to Midgard, and now she was struggling to find her place here. And unlike others, she would not judge him unfairly.

"He does not listen to you when you tell him this?" she asked. Freyr was right; this girl was smart as a whip.

I shook my head. "He believes I only say these things because I am his mother, and I do not see him for what he truly is. He doesn't realize that I do. But he needs someone else, someone from the outside, to convince him so. That is why I chose you, Rani. You are brilliant, kind, and honest. Above all others, I believe you have the best chance to not only understand the God of Mischief, but to save him as well."

Each word I said was from my heart. Rani knew that much, and she let her mission sink in. I had planted the seed, now she would help it to grow.

I just hoped that Loki's many storms would not kill the sapling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 46 20
Sigyn and Loki were madly in love , but Odin and his own interests forced Loki to marry skadi , a frost giant as well , but what they didn't know , w...
106K 4.8K 22
The internationally bestselling, upper YA Fantasy series. Featured in USA Today. Kristia Tostenson prefers Earl Grey to Grey Goose and book clubs to...
317K 21.1K 42
A tale told between two points of view, spaced between vast oceans of time. Within the depths of her psyche, Ava James grapples with a label that has...
2K 268 22
A dual pov narrative from both main characters-Loki and Annalise. If you enjoy slow burn, immersive stories, that will make you have all the feels, f...