Love, Anonymous (COMPLETED)

By ANNwithnoE

In an alternate universe, Maine Mendoza fails to make it as a talent in Eat Bulaga, and pursues her other dre... More

Prologue : Destiny Calls
Chapter One - Passenger by Chance
Chapter Two - Splitscreen Chemistry
Chapter Three - Chance Encounter
Chapter Four - Weather Beaten
Chapter Five - Sweet Surrender
Chapter Six - Gaining Momentum
Chapter Seven - Meet the Parents
Chapter Eight - Inner Conflict
Chapter Nine -The Gentleman of Verona
Chapter 10 - Arrivederci
Chapter Eleven - Reality Bites
Chapter Twelve - The Pessimistic Optimist
Chapter Thirteen - Reluctant Celebrity
Chapter Fourteen - Bit by Bit
Chapter Fifteen - Paradigm Shift
Chapter Sixteen - Serendipity
Chapter Seventeen - Destiny Claimed
Chapter Eighteen - Career Milestone
Chapter Nineteen - Uncertainties
Chapter Twenty - Secrets
Chapter Twenty One - Miggy's Story
Chapter Twenty Two - Agitation
Chapter Twenty Three - Patring's Request
Chapter Twenty Four - The Package
Chapter Twenty Five - Stalemate
Chapter Twenty Six - The Solution
Chapter Twenty Seven - Tying Loose Ends
Chapter Twenty Eight - Full Circle
Chapter Twenty Nine - Plot Twist
Chapter Thirty - I Do
Chapter Thirty One - Harot Night
Chapter Thirty Two - In Sickness and In Health
Chapter Thirty Three - Realizations
Chapter Thirty Four - Wanting
Chapter Thirty Five - Miscommunication
Chapter Thirty Six - Eye to Eye
Chapter Thirty Seven - In A Heartbeat
Chapter Thirty Eight - Starvation
Chapter Thirty Nine - Cravings
Chapter Forty - Intermission
Chapter Forty One - Waiting
Chapter Forty Three - The Homecoming
EPILOGUE

Chapter Forty Two - Aftermath

7.8K 386 15
By ANNwithnoE

Photo Credit: I lost the link of the website I got the pic from. Please note that this is not my photo and do not claim any rights to it.

Hello mga ka-neyshun. I'm sorry for not updating sooner, my fangirling was rudely interrupted by reality. I got so busy with work and turnovers before I transfer to my new job, kaya short update lang muna guys, but it contains what you need to know about Maine and the twins.

So here it is, my dears, read on. Hope this chapter merits your comments. Looking forward to hear from you as usual :)

6:00 AM, July 16, 2018

Alden was breathless by the time he reached the suite. Dr. Reyes was there discussing with Nanay, while Coleen, Nico and Dean listened.

"Richard, good morning. "

"Good morning doc, kumusta na mag-iina ko?

"Richard, the c-section went along smoothly, stable naman ang vital signs ni Maine. She is still being monitored in the recovery room but will be taken here in two hours maybe. We just want to be sure that she is ok."

"Salamat naman po doc, kumusta po yung kambal?"

"Richard, as you know 31 weeks pa lang sila. For a normal birthing kasi, dapat at least 36 weeks for the baby to be considered fully developed. We anticipated that Maine would be delivering prematurely, that's why we gave her steroids to speed up development of the twins' lungs. Sa ngayon, naka-incubator sila, my colleague, Dr. Sembrano is monitoring their progress. I suggest you talk to Dr. Sembrano for a more detailed report on the twins. Nasa nursery si Dr. Sembrano, you can buzz him there and request to see your babies."

"Doc, kahit opinion mo lang, ano ba sa tingin mo lagay ng mga anak ko?"

"Richard, offhand I'd say that we need to monitor them muna. Basta premature, close monitoring talaga kailangan. I cannot give you an accurate prognosis but if it's any consolation, babies have been born here at only 28 weeks and yet, they survive."

After Dr. Reyes left, Alden tried to calm himself by talking to his in-laws and his family. They agreed to hold a prayer vigil for the twins, but were thankful that Maine was out of danger. He wanted to wait till Maine was in the room before he went to see the twins and their pediatrician, but he needed to know how the twins were doing.

"Dad, pwede mo ba kong samahan? Medyo kinakabahan ako humarap sa pedia nung kambal eh."

"Tibayan mo loob mo anak, lalo na ngayon na tatay ka na. Halika, alamin na natin kung anong lagay ng kambal mo."

They agreed with Maine's parents that they would see the twins while Maine's parents would wait in the suite in anticipation of Maine's release from the recovery room.

Alden and his dad reached the wing where the nursery was located. The viewing area was closed since it was still early in the morning. He heard faint sounds of a baby crying, a sound that tugged at his heartstrings. Weeks before this moment, he and Maine were attending Lamaze birthing sessions, because Maine wanted to give birth the natural way. They were all psyched for it despite Dr. Reyes' warning that there was a likelihood that Maine would be giving birth prematurely, and it would have to be a quick birthing to avoid getting the babies under stress.

He would have wanted to be there during Maine's giving birth, to see Athena and Siegfried when they first open their eyes and cry, to hold them in his arms, to have a family picture together with Maine and the twins. But things didn't happen as planned.

Alden pressed the buzzer at the nursery and informed the attending nurse that Dr. Sembrano was expecting him. In a short while, a tall, slim doctor with graying hair on his temples came out to shake Alden's hand.

"Hi Alden, I've been monitoring the twins for the past two hours now. They're underweight, which is understandable since they were delivered premature. Their lungs aren't fully developed yet, we're also monitoring them for possible complications. It's important for them to stay in a sterile environment to avoid infection. For now, they can't be breastfed yet, but will get nourishment from drip feeding."

"So I won't be able to hold them yet, doc?"

"Sorry Alden but for now, let's play it safe. We can't expose them too much yet, not right now. Maybe after a week."

"A week? Doc, does that mean we can't bring them home with us when we leave in a few days?"

"Like I said, we're still observing them. For now they seem to be holding up fine. I'll give you a better prognosis after the blood test results come back."

"Can I at least see them, doc? Kahit through the viewing room lang po?"

"Of course you can. Just wait a few minutes, I'll ask the head nurse to bring them to the viewing room on the right.

Alden looked worriedly at his dad, who tapped his shoulder to assure him things would be ok. After a few minutes, the white blinds were raised to reveal an incubator cot, which contained both babies. They were both bare-chested, wearing the yellow baby bonnets they brought and disposable diapers. Based on the tags, the one on the left was Athena, Siegfried was on the right. Athena was smaller, with a red birthmark on her tummy. Siegfried was slightly bigger, had Alden's nose and chin. Both took after his skin color, the shape of his face, his nose and mouth.

Alden's heart constricted at the sight of the twins. They looked so small, so defenseless, like little angels sleeping peacefully. He ached to hold them close, to smell them, caress their little hands and feet. He wanted them to feel the presence of their parents, to assure them that the strange world they are now in is not scary for as long as he and Maine were here to protect them. Overcome with emotion, he looked at his dad who was teary-eyed like him. To ease the pain of not being able to hold them, he joked with his dad.

"Dad, lolo ka na."

They hugged and cried, glad that the twins were ok, although not totally out of the woods. With his arm around Alden's shoulder, his dad peered at the twins, marveling at their resemblance to Alden.

"Kamukhang kamukha mo sila anak."

"Naku huwag niyo po sabihin kay Maine yan, baka magtampo yun." Alden started taking photos of the twins with his phone.

"Huwag kamo siya mag-alala, habang lumalaki sila, mag iiba pa itsura nila. Tignan mo ikaw, diba ang laki ng pinagbago mo?" Alden laughed at his dad, remembering his awkward adolescent years.

"Buti na lang dad, nag-iba. Kung hindi, wala sigurong Maine sa buhay ko ngayon kasi di ako papasang artista."

-----

Maine was already in the suite when they went back. She wasn't talking much, she looked exhausted and disoriented, a probable result of the anesthesia. Alden approached her to kiss her forehead and sat beside her, holding her hand.

"Hindi masyadong makakapagsalita si Maine, Richard," explained Nanay. "Bawal siya magsalita kasi mababanat ang tahi ng tiyan niya."

"Nakita mo ba yung kambal? Kumusta sila? Maine asked weakly. She looked so pale and tired, Alden felt guilty that he could not absorb some of her pain.

"Ok naman sila, babe. Wag ka na magworry, properly monitored naman sila."

"Kelan ako pwedeng mag breastfeed?"

"Babe, di ka pa fully recovered. Dapat magpalakas ka muna, saka natin sila pupuntahan pag kaya mo na."

"Hindi ko sila mapupuntahan ngayon?"

"Babe, ni hindi ka pa nga makabangon eh. Wag ka na muna magsalita. Rest ka na muna."

Reluctantly, Maine shut her eyes to get some rest. Alden held on to her hand, wondering how long he can keep the truth from her, that the twins were not totally out of the woods and Maine would not be breastfeeding them for quite a while.

He silently prayed that no further complications would come about for the babies, that soon, he and Maine would get to hold them in their arms, healthy and out of danger.

A/N:

By the way, are any of you attending the ADNFest on October 16? If you are, please be sure to visit the ADNFest Writer's Booth. Some of the AMACon3 writers will be there (me included), and we can't wait to meet you! This will be a cool and fun event, guys, hope to sere you there.

We will also be releasing "Creative Collabs," a compilation of AMACon/Wattpad writers' profiles and quotes from our works, a must-have souvenir from the ADNFest. Here's what the book cover looks like:

In case you'd like to order, please check out this link: 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdIxjGVssbQqt5BJ8D4iviWHlx8o9cgypMHjh-Sxsxkl-tJwA/viewform?c=0&w=1

Thank you for your continuing support, my dears. Would love to meet each and every one of you :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 5.5K 97
Two opposite worlds come together. How will they establish harmony after their initial encounter was unfavorable? Would you be open to befriending so...
458K 14.4K 34
[THIS STORY IS A WATTYS 2020 WINNER UNDER ROMANCE CATEGORY!] Totoong tomboy nga ba si Mikaela Saavedra? O dala lang ito ng trauma sa mga lalaki dulot...
216K 5.8K 61
"Loving you is worth waiting for " Para sa mga patuloy na UMAASA at NAGPAPAASA! Hanggang kailan mo nga ba kayang maghintay? Kapag ba pagod ka na, sus...
142K 6.3K 75
| C O M P L E T E D | Sabi nila.. Pag mahal mo gagawin mo ang lahat . Ibibigay mo kung ano ang dapat.. Para lang sa ikasasaya niya Handa ka bang ma...