Desolate Me

By SCCourtney

Make It Work. That’s what Cassandra South is trying to do. But making her life work turns out to be harder th... More

Desolate Me
Some Touch
Not Meant For Me
What Makes You Stay?
Breathe No More
Moving Target
Breathe In, Breathe Out
Till The Dealer Gave Me You
Broken Inside With Sparkles
Plan Come Together
Overuse I Love You
My Quiet Heart
Cold Water
I'm Awake Now
My Ship Is Sinking
Leave Me Out With The Waste
Time To Fly
Forever And Almost Always
Forgiveness Is The Giving
Simultaneous Release
Someone Like You
Don't You Remember?
Fly Out Of My Head
Neon Signs Unwarned
An Taibhse Oighir
On The Right Path
Read All About It
Reality That Was
Carnival Ride

All Those Pretty Lights

6K 148 12
By SCCourtney

A/N: Alright. I'll post the same warning I did over on Miss Lit. There is some suggestive content in this chapter. So if you're just now able to see a PG-13 movie without a parent or guardian present, you should stop reading at a certain point. You'll be able to tell when it's going to get steamy because they literally say something to indicate it's going in that direction. 

~ * ~

“You’re home early.”

The ghost stood out in the drive and he didn’t look very surprised to see us.

“School sucks. I think I’m going to drop out.”

“Oh. Ok. I made cookies.”

“They better be chocolate chip or I swear I’ll banish you from the kitchen.”

He held up his hands in mock surrender.

“Peanut butter chocolate chip. I had a feeling you were going to have a bad day.”

“You don’t know the half of it.”

I led the way into the house, taking a deep breath as I passed through the kitchen. I loved the smell of baking cookies. My mother used to fill the house with that smell whenever she “got the feeling” I had a bad day. Apparently my ghost had a few tricks up his sleeves after all.

“I’m going to change. Try not to fight while I’m gone.”

“Can’t promise you anything. He can’t hear me so there would be no fun in it.”

“Hasn’t stopped you two before.”

I jogged upstairs and to my room. It was just how I left it. Not that I was expecting anything else. Alma came to tidy up and start the laundry for me on Thursdays. I grabbed a change of clothes and headed to the bathroom. I changed into a purple boat neck top and a black school girl skirt.

I yelped when I got to my room and stood frozen in the doorway of my bathroom. The room was freezing, I could see my breath in front of me. I didn’t move, afraid that if I did he would notice. And what was with him showing up during the day? Why was I thinking about that right then?

I breathed out slowly.

He looked up me so fast, the whole movement was a blur.

“Cassie…”

“Go away,” I said carefully.

“Family…”

He was sitting at the end of my bed, a picture of my father and I by the front door in his hands. Peter took the picture, bought me the frame…

The perfect representation of my family.

“We were going to be a family…”

Blood dripped out the corner of his mouth and onto the glass. The dot discolored my father’s face.

“We’ll never…”

He was up in a flash, his hand gripping the door frame behind me.

“Your mother…is here…with me…”

I shook my head. “No…”

The equivalent of a ghost snarl came out of him. He moved to grip my throat but my ghost slammed into him, throwing him away from me.

They disappeared through the floor and Darken came over, gripping both sides of my face.

“Are you alright?”

I nodded and let out a breath. I gripped both of his arms and stared into his eyes, breathing in and out, deep breaths.

“I’m ok.”

“You sure?”

I nodded again and hugged him. “This day just won’t end, will it?”

“Well,” his voice shook a little, “at least he didn’t leave bruises this time. That’s always a plus.”

“I think you’re getting more American, Darken.”

“Не возможный. Это хорошо все же.” (Not possible. This is good nevertheless.)

“Yeah. That’s what I thought.” I pulled back and looked at him. He had a funny expression on his face. “You ok?”

“Я в порядке.” (I’m fine.)

“English, Darken.”

“I’m fine.” He took a step back. “Perhaps we should go find my brother.”

I heard a crash from downstairs and I shot out of the room and downstairs. I followed the noise to the kitchen where my ghost and my uncle were going at it. They would shift from being transparent, to gone, to completely solid.

“I sort of…need your…help…Earth Girl.”

Erik tipped him to the side and then slammed his transparent fist into my uncle’s face.

“What do you want me to do?”

The sound of my voice caught my uncle’s attention. His head snapped to the side to look at me.

“Cassie…help me…”

“Just…blast him into next week!”

“I don’t…”

My uncle ducked under my ghost’s arm and marched in my direction. Darken stepped forward and held his hand out, a sheet of ice formed in front of us. Normally, that would work but since both my uncle and my ghost were shifting forms, he walked straight through it and lunged in my direction.

Peter’s amulet flared hot and repelled him back just as he tried to grab for my throat. I’d totally forgotten about the necklace since it hadn’t worked upstairs. That was not a good sign but since it was working now…

“Why don’t you just…LEAVE ME ALONE?!”

A strong wind blew through the house, my uncle’s hair fluttering in the wind.

“Family…FAMILY!”

An even stronger wind then what I’d conjured up blew in my direction and I stumbled back, throwing my hands up to cover my face.

FAMILY!!!

The one word boomed through the house and I looked up just in time to see him race forward only to disappear when the amulet flared again.

I stood there huffing for air, my hands still thrown up in front of my face. I couldn’t believe this was happening and I couldn’t quite catch my breath.

“Cass…” Darken said softly. “Are you…?”

My hands balled into fists and I pulled them down. I was just…so angry about so much. It built on the inside of me and I closed my eyes, feeling the magic outburst coming.

“Um…you might want to take a step back, brother.”

“Cass…” I felt cold hands grip the top of my arms, “calm down.”

“I can’t…”

“Yes, you can…” His hands flexed on my arms. “Control, that’s what you’ve been training for.”

I could feel my bones vibrating and my heart was pounding.

“Earth Girl…you’re turning me solid.”

I couldn’t stop it now though. I’d never been able to stop it once it started.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

“Do something!” my ghost yelled at his brother.

“Что я должен делать?” (What should I do?)

“Я не знаю! Просто что-то сделать! Сейчас!” (I don’t know! Just do something! Now!)

Darken’s hands slid up my arms and cupped my face. I could feel his lips hovering over mine but before he could close the small amount of distance, my hands slapped his chest just like they had with Bren.

The energy rippled out as my eyes opened. But Darken stood firm, his eyes locking with mine. The dishes rattled in the cabinets, the doors on the fridge and oven banged open and closed, the curtains Alma made flapped in the nonexistent breeze. At some point I could’ve sworn the earth trembled underneath me and the house.

“That’s enough.”

I blinked and everything stopped rattling and making noise. I looked over at the back door and Drake Paramore stood there, looking more upset then I’d ever seen anyone.

He walked in and slammed the door closed, making me jump. He strolled in like he owned the place but stopped next to my ghost.

“Well…” He raised an eyebrow as he looked him over. “You are certainly solid.” He looked back at me. “I’ll make this quick since I know you’re about to pass out.”

“I’m…not going to pass out.”

“Shut up you stupid girl.”

“Uncle,” my ghost protested.

He ignored him. “There is a reason why you are supposed to learn control of your powers. Obviously that’s not happening and something needs to change. When you wake up, we’ll talk.”

I let out the breath I’d been holding and glared at him.

“You are not welcome in my house.”

A light breeze went through the room but it didn’t even muss his hair.

“You couldn’t push me out whether you wanted to or not. These little episodes of yours are over. Your mother should’ve called me long before she did. You’re acting like a spoiled, selfish child.”

“Why does it even matter? What hap—happens to me shouldn’t matter…to you.”

He took my chin gently but firmly and tilted up my head.

“You are meant for bigger things than solidifying ghosts and dealing out last wishes. Your mother knew that, I know that. Now it’s time that you realize it too.”

“There is nothing special about me.”

“Lines were crossed when your parents decided to mate. Thus producing you. Unfortunately, you are dealing with the consequences, as are we all. Edik, взять ее к себе в комнату, прежде чем она падает в обморок.” (Take her to her room before she faints.)

“Я могу взять ее,” Darken said. (I can take her.)

“Нет, Edik сделает это.” (No. Edik will do it.)

“You know what? I’ll take myself.”

They all looked at me with surprise.

“Yeah, I got some of that. I’ve been studying up on my Russian. The internet is full of fun stuff. Not to mention Gwen who helps.”

I turned on my heel and walked out of the room. They burst into rapid Russian behind me, none of it I caught. Stupid bilingual buttfaces. About halfway down my hallway, I got dizzy. I leaned against the wall, pressing my forehead against the cool paint. The world was spinning like mad and I really wanted off the ride. I closed my eyes and banged my forehead gently against the wall.

“Erik!”

For once, instead of him poofing in, he had to run. I’d slid down the wall by the time he got there, my legs drawn up to my chest, my ankles covering everything that needed to be covered, and my forehead on my knees.

“Cass…”

“My head is spinning.” I looked up at him. “This never happened before. I don’t understand what’s going on.”

He brushed the cascade of my hair back, his eyes looking over my face.

“It’s just a power drain. You’re like a battery now. If you expel like you just did, it’ll take a while for it all to come back.”

“I just…I don’t understand why this is happening to me.” I reached up and gripped his wrist. “Can’t I just go back to being normal?”

“Afraid not, Earth Girl. You’re stuck the way you are. I’m sorry.”

I nodded and tried to fight off passing out.

“Can you call Peter?”

“Earth Girl…”

“Please?” I looked him in the eyes. “You three are suffocating. Please, just call him.”

“Alright but first, we should get you upstairs…”

“I don’t want to go…” I squeezed my eyes closed to fight off another bout of dizziness. “I think I’ll just stay here for a little while.”

“Ok…”

“Just…call him. Promise me.”

He sat down next to me, pulling me over so I was resting against his chest. It was the weirdest damn thing because there was no heartbeat and no breath. But he was here and he was solid and he was warm…ish.

“You’re like…a weird, dead vampire.”

He did the manly version of a giggle. “How’s that?”

“You’re dead which would naturally suggest that you have no body heat since your heart isn’t beating to pump blood to warm your body. But yet you are warm with no heart beat and no breath…”

“I think you’re delirious.”

“That’s a definite possibility, mo dlúthchara.”

“What does that mean?”

“Féadfaidh tú a bheith bocht i misfortune. Saibhir i blessings. Mall a dhéanamh naimhde, mear a cairde a dhéanamh. Ach saibhir nó lag, tapa nó mall. Bealtaine a fhios agat rud ar bith ach sonas. Ón lá seo amach. Tá tú mo chara is fearr, Erik. Agus ní ba mhaith liom a athrú gur le haghaidh an domhain.” (May you be poor in misfortune. Rich in blessings. Slow to make enemies, quick to make friends. But rich or poor, quick or slow. May you know nothing but happiness. From this day forward. You’re my best friend, Erik. And I wouldn’t change it for the world.)

Then I passed out.

“Cass…Cass…Cass…”

Whoever was saying my name did it as a whisper. I was drifting happily in the gray, dreaming about leprechauns and gold when I heard it. But it wasn’t enough for me to wake up completely yet.

“Cass…I love you…wake up.”

I groaned and opened one eye. A dark chocolate eye shined at me. I smiled and closed my open one again, snuggling closer to him.

“Come on, sleepy head,” he whispered. “Wake up and talk to me.”

“No.” I kissed the skin my face was laying on. “Still sleepy.”

“But you have to tell me what happened.”

“Ask the ghost.” I yawned. “I’m sure he’ll tell you…all about it.”

“He won’t come out of his attic.”

“What about Darken and his uncle?”

“They’re downstairs but they won’t say anything either. Actually, they went outside after I got here so we’re alone…except for the ghost of course. They might have left…I don’t know.”

I opened my eyes and looked up at him, my nose skimming his neck.

“Really?”

He looked down at me and nodded. “Yup.”

“Mmm.” I inched up and kissed him. “You know…if we’re quiet…”

He smiled and kissed me, the energy in the room heating up. I thought for a moment about morning breath but he caught my attention again as his hand slid under my t-shirt. I moved closer to him as his hand moved around my side and to my back.

“Wait,” he whispered. “Tell me what happened.”

“My uncle showed up. Things sort of spiraled and I had a power outburst. My ghost turned solid for a good amount of time and I drained.” I kissed him again, making it basic. “Simple really.”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Why did you leave school early?”

I paused, opening both of my eyes. “Peter…come on. We’re alone, in my bed for the first time since I moved in here. Can we put off talking about that for just…”

“Come on, Cass. It’s a simple enough question. Tell me why you left and then we can go back to…”

“You don’t want to know the answer. I can tell you that right now.”

“Actually I do.” The humor and love drained from his face, that easy going way about him just gone. “You left with Darken. People saw you leave and they said…”

I sat up and looked down at him. “I thought all that mattered was you and me. Since when do you care or even listen to what everyone else says?”

He sat up, a weird sort of anger radiating out of him.

“Since my supposed girlfriend is seen leaving the music building, which just happens to be a make out place by the way, with a guy who just tried to kiss her the night before.”

“Is that really what you think of me? That I’d let you kiss me in front of the whole school, your teammates, and then slink off to make out with Darken Paramore?”

He just continued to look at me like it was the obvious and only truth.

“Did nothing I say earlier register with you? Do you not know me at all?”

He stood up and looked down at me, the browns churning and telling me that’s what he really thought. He had no doubt that’s what happened and nothing I said would change his mind.

“Peter, come on, you know me better than that.”

“Do I, Cass? I thought I did but…”

“I don’t—I don’t understand what’s going on. For the hundredth time there is nothing going on between me and Darken. There’s nothing going on between me and anyone else. It’s just you…”

“And how can I be sure of that?”

“You can trust me. Why are you acting like you’re the one who’s been cheated on? You’re the one who kissed Amber…”

His eyes lit up with anger. “Don’t even go there.”

“Why are you picking a fight with me?”

“I’m not. You’re the one who mentioned Ami…”

My eyes narrowed. “Did something happen after I left?” I looked at the clock and it said six. I looked back at him, reading his cues loud and clear. I sighed and looked up. “What happened this time? Did she…”

“Nothing. Ok. We just talked. She saw you leave with Darken, she came to tell me and…”

“Wait…” I held out a hand. “You’re telling me your source of me looking cozy with Darken is…Amber? Seriously?”

“Well it’s not like she was lying.”

“The girl trashed my car. Did you forget about that? Do you need to see it again to refresh your memory? She’s the reason I had to get a ride with Darken…”

“Yeah, after school. Not towards the end of lunch.”

“Peter…” I walked over and tried to take his hands but he gave me that look that told me if I touched him this fight would go nuclear. “I’d had enough of school, ok? With what Amber implied and then the way she walked away, not to mention the way you watched her ass swish from side to side…” I sighed and threw my hands in the air. “What do you want me to say? The whole thing was just…crap and I got tired of dealing with it.” Tears welled in my eyes. “I was in the music building to play the piano, you know that thing I do that you haven’t even bothered to stop and listen to?”

“Cass…”

“I miss my home. I miss my mother. I miss…everything about the life I used to have because for one there was no Amber Frost who twists everything I do. I don’t want to live in an empty house where there’s no noise and no love. But I’m doing it because you’re here. If you don’t believe that then…fine. Go.” I went over to my door and opened it. I stared at him, hoping to god he wouldn’t walk out. The anger in him went away and regret filled back in.

“I’m sorry, Cass.” He walked over to me and took my hands like I tried to do before. “I’m sorry I brought it up, ok? Let’s just…not fight.”

“You’re the one that…”

He cupped my face and brushed a kiss across my lips. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. I just…worry about all these—guys around you. Does that make sense?”

“Peter,” I looked up at him, “I love you. They don’t come close to you, any of them.”

He nodded and kissed my forehead, his lips pressed hard against my skin.

“I know.”

“Then please, stop being paranoid. Stop freaking out.” I tipped his face down so he was looking at me. “Trust me. Please?”

“I trust you. I swear. It’s them I don’t trust.”

“A Ghrá, nothing is going to happen. Ok?”

He smiled, his hands pressing against my sides.

“What did you say?”

“Peter…”

“That…Gaelic thing, not the other stuff.”

I smiled. “It’s a term of endearment.”

“What does it mean?”

“My love.”

His smile turned into a grin. “A Ghrá.”

I giggled and shook my head. “No. Pronounce it like ‘ah hraw’.”

He tried a few times to say it but it just didn’t work. He sounded like he was hacking a loogie most of the time, not very attractive. I pushed him down on the bed and straddled his lap.

“Can we get back to what we were doing before you picked a fight with me?”

He nodded and kissed me. His hands went under my t-shirt only to wrap around me, pressing me against him. He fell back slowly and I laid flat on top of him.

“Peter?”

“Hmm?”

I pulled back so I was just a breath away. I opened my eyes and looked down at him. I stared down, looking over his golden hair, his brown eyes with red specks, the small dimples his smile was making as he waited for me to say whatever it was. He was just…perfect.

“Cass…”

“I think…” I sighed. “I think…”

He rolled me over so I was now the one looking up at him. His eyes searched my face for what I was trying to say but unable to get out.

He kissed me instead and for the first time I kept my eyes open for a brief second. The look on his face was one of complete bliss, happiness with closed eyes. I smiled and closed my eyes, kissing him back.

Unlike the one night in the treehouse, his hands stayed perfectly tame. The only problem was I didn’t want them to. So I took his hand and placed it where I wanted it to be, which just happened to be up my shirt and on an important part of my anatomy on my upper torso. He trembled and pulled back slightly, my hand still on top of his.

“Cass…”

“Peter…I’m ready. I’m tired of waiting.”

His eyes got a little wide and his hand flipped over, taking a hold of mine, pulling it so it was over top of my head.

“Cass, what are you…” he stopped asking his question when he saw the determined look on my face. He asked another one instead. “Are you sure?”

I swallowed and nodded. “I’m sure.”

He kissed me hesitantly, his eyes staying open and looking into mine. We closed them at the same time and our kisses grew fevered. While his one hand stayed clasped in mine, the other explored the skin of my stomach and then slowly inched lower like he was expecting me to change my mind any second now.

I’d forgotten I was in a skirt until he pulled it up so the whole thing was wrapped around my waist.

He stopped kissing me and I opened my eyes, finding he was looking down at me.

“You sure?”

I nodded, my whole body shaking in anticipation of what could possibly happen next.

“They say it hurts less if…”

“If what?”

He swallowed, his eyes moving to my lips for a second before looking back at me. He didn’t really answer my question. Instead he kissed me and did what some girls talked about in the locker room.

My eyes squeezed shut and I gripped his hand.

“Am I hurting you?” He brushed a kiss across my lips.

Actually, he wasn’t hurting me at all. It actually felt…

I didn’t have to answer since the next sound I made told him everything he wanted to know. This was going better than I thought it would mostly because I always imagined the worst possible scenario. It was safe to say Peter knew what he was doing…

Until someone knocked on the door and both of us froze.

“It’s time for dinner, Cassandra.”

Peter moved away from me but laid face down on the bed next to me. I could feel his pulse beating quickly across the palm of my hand.

I breathed out and answered. “Ok. I’ll be right down.”

After I heard Drake go back downstairs I rolled so I was pressed up against Peter’s side, his hand pulling down my skirt and then wrapping around me, pulling me even closer.

He turned his face and looked at me, his eyes still full of lust.

“Are you ok?”

I nodded and put a hand on his face. “I’m fine.”

He kissed me softly. “I love you and you don’t…”

I put my pointer finger over his lips. “Shh.”

He opened his eyes and looked at me. We stared at each other for a while until smiles slowly crept over both of our faces. He laughed quietly and rolled to his side, sliding me across my comforter so I was pressed up against him from my knees to my chest.

“I wish we didn’t have separate plans tonight.”

“I know.” I kissed him. “What about tomorrow night?”

“Your Dad gets back. We’re going to have to put this off for another week at least.”

“Unless we find somewhere else.”

He smiled. “I thought it was the guy’s thing to push.”

“I’m not pushing. I just…” I sighed and opened my eyes all the way. “I just…”

“I know,” he whispered.

“Tá tú mo ghrá. Is breá liom tú. Is é mo chroí laistigh tú. I gcónaí.” (You are my love. I love you. My heart is within you. Always/forever.”

He grinned. “You know, the whole bilingual thing is sexy as hell.”

I laughed. “That’s good to know.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52 8 8
A perfect getaway in a secluded location... Seems perfect, doesn't it? Seems like paradise, right? Seems like... Everyone... Will be okay... Or maybe...
41K 720 49
[EDITING] For him, the whole world was on fire except her. And he didn't let a single flame touch her. For her, she herself was on fire. And she pr...
100K 4.5K 56
BOOK ONE Featured 3x on official: Wattpad Fantasy, Young Adult Fantasy and Wattpad Dark Fantasy reading list Camille did not know what blood was cour...
96 3 21
Cassandra MacGarrett isn't social, not anymore. She has friends she can count on one hand and her twin brother. Her life is simple nowadays: school...