My Ship Is Sinking

“Here’s a question,” my ghost said. “Why do they keep redoing these films over and over?”

We just got back from the City, my new purchases stashed away, bowl of popcorn situated next to me, and the newest attempt at Jane Eyre playing on the television.

Apparently he didn’t like the classics.

“It’s a new take, Erik. There’s nothing wrong with it.”

“Please. There’s no passion, no love. How is the audience supposed to believe that these two love each other?”

“Back then, showing how you felt wasn’t a good thing. If you were overly emotional…”

“But still. How are we supposed to believe that Mr. Rochester really loves Jane? It just…pops out of the blue.”

“He has his ways.”

I rolled to my back and watched the TV upside down.

“Like?”

“Brief words. A look. They weren’t allowed to touch each other so it was all in the way they looked at each other. It’s a lost art now. We live in a time where touching is allowed and there’s no mystery because of it.”

He chuckled. “You sound sad about that. Then again you always sound sad nowadays.”

“Hey.” I tossed a kernel at his head. Since he was sort of solid, it bounced of his temple. He turned his gray eyes on me and smiled. “I did good this weekend, thank you very much.”

He sighed and laid down next to me, moving the bowl of popcorn to the floor. “Do you really want to move to the city?”

“Beats being here and watching those two parade around the way they do. I would much rather be somewhere I can’t see them. Or hear about them or anything else concerning them.”

“Cassie! Door!”

I rolled over on my bed and looked out my open doorway.

“Who is it?”

“Darken.”

Darken? I looked at my ghost but he just shrugged. He wasn’t happy with his brother when I told him he was acting like I didn’t exist. I got up and poked my head out, looking down the steps. Sure enough, Russian Boy stood by the door. Huh.

I jogged down the stairs and my father walked to the kitchen, giving me a look that clearly said ‘be nice’. This was interesting.

“So…the popular Russian boy finally pays me a visit.” Both my smile and tone were cold. “To what do I owe this…honor?”

“Magic training.”

He couldn’t be serious. I stared at him, waiting for him to smile and tell me he was joking. But he didn’t, his eyes stayed ice cold and his mouth remained pressed in a line. I rolled my eyes and walked to the door, opening it.

“Your brother is doing just fine. There’s no need for you.”

“Cass…”

“You can go. I don’t have time for people who drop me like a bad habit.”

“That is not what happened.”

“Oh really? Rumor is you are spending quality time with Alicia Whitmore. You know, during the time you were supposed to be helping me. I am clearly not a priority so…just go.”

“Cass…”

“I don’t need your help. I don’t need anyone’s help. Tell your uncle that your brother is teaching me just fine. Everything is in order. He should be proud.”