Assassin's Creed: Chronos (Ez...

By TMWolf

(note: Story cover has been updated May 2023 :) New chapter covers will be added slowly too) Catherine Wolfe... More

Prologue
Act I - 01 The Call
02 - Many Meetings I
03 - Many Meetings II
04 - Florence Tarantella
05 - Name of the Game
06 - Disparate Youth
07 - A Small Measure of Peace
08 - Talk
09 - Little Wonders
10 - Home In Florence
11 - Death and All His Friends
12 - The Days We Care About
13 - Blinding
Act II - 14 Bravado
15 - Twisted Logic
16 - Fix You
17 - Dog Days Are Over
18 - This Too Shall Pass
19 - Big Girls Don't Cry
20 - Home
21 - We Build Then We Break
22 - Tomorrow Will Be Kinder
23 - The Middle
24 - A Life So Changed
25 - The Hardest Part
26 - Secrets
27 - Mother & Father
28 - Ends of the Earth
29 - Iron
30 - Southern Sun
31 - One Week
32 - I Will Be There
33 - Waiting Game
34 - Heads Will Roll
35 - Flightless Bird, American Mouth
36 - All Summer Long
37 - The Preacher
38 - The Take Over, The Breaks Over
39 - Hopeless Wanderer
40 - All the Small Things
41 - Another One Bites the Dust
42 - The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
43 - Better Days I
44 - Better Days II
45 - Chase of the Highway
46 - Warm Water
47 - All You Never Say
47 - A Message
49 - Four Walls
50 - Weights & Measure
51 - Bless the Broken Road
52 - Bless the Broken Road II
Act III - 54 How Far We've Come
55 - The King And All of His Men
56 - Shadowplay I
57 - Shadowplay II
58 - Ain't No Rest For the Wicked
59 - Young Blood I
60 - Young Blood II
61 - Young Blood III
62 - The Sun's Gone Dim and the Sky's Turned Black
63 - Headlong Into the Abyss
64 - The Ruler, The Killer
65 - The Hours
66 - Epilogue -o- Nascence
Sequel

53 - Bless the Broken Road III

2.8K 80 54
By TMWolf

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
And others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know it's true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
Yeah

April 5, 1481

Monteriggioni, Italy

Catherine almost couldn't recall a time she had felt more relief seeing the sight of the city as they rounded the bend. But then she remembered it was only a few days ago when they'd arrived in Forlì and she'd felt the same relief there, too. Still, home was now in sight, looking glorious with the sun setting behind it, and she was more than elated from her spot in front of Ezio. Normally, she'd ride her own horse, but he'd insisted, and she honestly didn't mind. She was plenty tired from the journey, although thankfully only the normal kind—she had fully recovered from her ordeal now beyond feeling like she'd lost a bit of strength and endurance. Being back home meant she could regain it, though, and she knew Mario would know just how to help her do it.

"I can smell Annetta's cooking already," Ezio sighed, briefly tightening his arm around her waist, which brought her closer to his chest.

She tilted her head to look up at him, grinning, "Now, now; no need to insult Fontina even if you're safe from your spoon of wrath."

"Fontina is a wonderful cook—but you and I both agree Annetta is better. You can't deny that."

"...True. Hurry the horse then. I want to finally be home and eat a hot dinner. That, and we need to see if you're an uncle."

"Indeed we do. Hold on," the young man smirked as he tightened his hold on her waist yet again just before urging his horse into a canter. Their second horse followed in suit, and they covered the remaining distance in a matter of minutes. They were greeted by the stable hand, who was both surprised and glad to see them. His assistants took their horses while he professed his happiness at their return, and something about the others going to be even happier. The two didn't doubt it, and so hurried through the gate where the family's insignia set on a flag against the Assassin sigil flowed strongly in the wind.

Their sojourn through the cobbled streets of the city was filled with even more surprised faces, but all were glad to see them, too. Many called out, waving and professing their gratitude. Some even offered goods and treats or special services, but all were declined politely. They had to head to the Villa after all, and not just to eat, although their stomachs were rumbling quite loudly. Thankfully that was a fairly short walk, and although their fellow mercenaries wanted to stop them for a reunion, they slipped through their grips with promises to spar soon, and continued up the final flight of stairs.

The Villa was as beautiful as ever, and Catherine was all too happy to breathe in deeply as they stepped into the marbled front halls. Ezio chuckled as they set their things down in the front entry way for one of the servants to take. The redhead happily rolled her shoulders and stretched, free of the burden, and stood in the center of the main place to take a look at things. There wasn't truly much to note, though; it was just as they had left it, which was fine by her. It was home, and it was good to be able to come to back to a steady place. Although, she supposed it was changed a little.

"What?" Ezio asked when he looked up and caught her smiling at him.

"So... are you going to stay in my room, or me yours?" she inquired

He laughed as he folded his arms, "That is a good question... hmm... I'd have to say mine."

"But—all that climbing."

"My room is bigger, and my bed better. Besides, I enjoy the thought of you all to myself in that tower," he purred as he came over, a lustful look in his eye. They were finally home—he didn't need to hold back.

"Ezio!" a familiar voice exclaimed, and the young man was stopped dead in his tracks. For good reason, of course, for from the top of the stairs his little sister came racing down. That, of course, was a surprise since she hadn't run much at all since she had gotten pregnant. The reason for the change was immediately apparent as she came to the final landing: Claudia was, decidedly, less pregnant. She still held some baby fat, but she was definitely free of her child and she raced right into her brother's arm, squeezing tight. He was all too happy to swing her around, laughing right along with her, and kiss her cheek.

"Little Claudia! Oh, it is so good to see you! And look at you—you had a child! Tell me, was it a boy or girl? I have to know!" he exclaimed, eyes bright and glowing.

Claudia laughed, "It was a boy, and we decided to name him after Father. Little Giovanni, we call him. You are an uncle, Ezio!"

The young man's eyes softened at once, "Giovanni... it's perfect. Mother must have been so happy..."

"She was. She began to cry when we said the name, but they were happy tears. Oh! Oh, you must see him—but quietly! Ottavio got him to bed not long ago, and he is sleeping, too. He has been doing most of the care while I caught up on some of the cities expenses. He is a good father, Ezio—just as I told you... but goodness our son is an Auditore for sure! He is so rambunctious and only two weeks old! I was barely able to get away to tend to things! All he does is eat and eat and cry and soil himself! He is so veracious! Just like Mother said you were when you were a baby! Federico, too!"

"Was he now? Explains a lot," Catherine mused, brow raised wryly, but she was trying so hard not to grin. She did anyways, and Ezio flashed a quick glare to his sister that was just as quickly replaced with a beaming smile.

"I would love to see him Claudia—as would Catherine, whom you should say hello to as well."

"I was going to, yes, thank-you. I simply thought you would enjoy the good news," the young woman huffed before turning to the redhead and embracing her just as tightly.

"Don't worry—I thoroughly enjoyed learning that Ezio has been a naughty boy all his life," Catherine snickered as she pulled back from the young woman.

"Oh, indeed. But now, please, come; I wish for you to see Giovanni as well. You are as much a part of our family, and I would not have you miss out on seeing your nephew."

"I'd love to, Claudia, thank-you... and congratulations! You really do make a great mother."

The young woman flushed as she smiled and even giggled a little before turning to Ezio to take his hand and then Catherine's. She tugged them towards the stairs, and they followed dutifully.

"Have you two eaten, by the way?" she inquired, to which they answered they hadn't. "Supper was some time ago, but there should be some left over. Afterwards you must tell me of your travels to Venezia! I always wanted to go. Oh, and you will need to speak to Mario. We had no idea you would be returning so soon, so he—well, all of us, really—will wish to know what brought you back."

"We got into some trouble," Catherine chuckled, causing the young woman to pause at the top of the stairs. She gave them both a look, and then shook her head with a sigh.

"I should have known. Catherine I can forgive some, and imagine the trouble only happened because you got carried away, Brother."

"Actually... it was my fault this time—Ezio was out of service when it went down," the redhead grinned a little sheepishly, but she had to stifle a laugh when the young woman balked.

"God help us all!" Claudia guffawed, shaking her head as she continued down the hall. "And here I thought my brother could never corrupt you!"

"Yes, thank-you, baby sister, I am right here," Ezio snorted, although he was rather amused by it all.

"You know I am right. But now hush—we are almost there, and I do not want to wake him. He will throw a terrible tantrum when wide awake," Claudia sighed, shaking her head as they entered the final hallway to her room. They rounded the corner and came to a closed door where she turned the knob as carefully and quietly as she could. A darkened room was revealed to them, a large, empty bed in the center, and to the right of it the familiar figure of Ottavio sitting next to a crib. He was slumped over in the chair, disheveled and looking exhausted. In the construct next to him was their son, sleeping far more soundly. Claudia brought them next to the two, careful to not wake the father. Catherine and Ezio looked down at the babe, whom had a slightly pale face, not yet touched by the sun, but a full head of dark hair, and round, red cheeks. He was a decent-sized child, and would undoubtedly be a terror once he got to running around.

Being that the father was exhausted and needed his sleep, Claudia urged them out after only a little while, and sighed happily as she closed the door.

"Ah... he is so good to him... I could not ask for a better husband. He loves him so much, too. All the other men tease him about it!" she chuckled softly, shaking her head. "I really should get him to bed... I need to take over again."

"Well, we can find the kitchen on our own, and talk can wait. To be honest, I'm starting to feel tired. We may just eat and talk later. We, ah... have a lot to talk about," Ezio chuckled back, glancing to Catherine.

The redhead met his gaze, "Indeed we do."

She glanced back at Claudia after a moment, and a shit-eating grin immediately appeared on her face when she saw the confused looks the young woman gave them. Her eyes were narrowed, nose scrunched, and lips turned downward ever so slightly in her stern bewilderment. Her brother saw it, too, and the very same grin consumed him as well.

"What... kind of things?" his sister pressed, glaring at him suspiciously.

"Oh, you, know. Just... things," he replied at a purr, waggling his brow just before he took Catherine's chin into his hands and placed a sloppy kiss on her lips. It wasn't very long, and he looked to his sister, whose mouth had promptly dropped and eyebrows lifted to her hairline.

"I—wha—when!?" she exclaimed a little too loudly, causing her to look back at her door with alarm, and then to them once more where she repeated with a loud whisper, "You are... together?"

Catherine snickered, "Yes. We are. But don't go telling everyone just yet. We... well, we want to tell them ourselves."

"What!? How do you expect me to just keep quiet!? We have all been waiting years for you two to finally confess!" the woman hissed, throwing her hands up.

The redhead was the one to raise her brows this time, "You've all been waiting years?"

"Yes, you idiots! We all saw it, but you were both too foolish, but ah! Finally!" Claudia beamed, but then promptly jabbed a finger at her brother. "Have you made an honest woman of her yet? Proposed?"

"Wha—Claudia!"

Ezio snickered, "No, I have not yet, Sister. Catherine wishes to... take it slow. I've not commissioned a wedding band yet, anyways."

"I think you have both waited long enough," Claudia sniffed, folding her arms over her chest. "Also, Ottavio has a bet riding on a proposal. I would ask you do your best to help him make good on it."

"Oh my Gooooooooooood," Catherine groaned, shoving her face into her hands.

Ezio's grin got worse, "I shall do my best."

"Well, I see you began the reunion without me," a familiar voice chuckled, and all three heads turned to find Mario making his way down the hallway towards them. He was dressed down, though still carried his sword, and there was elation across his features as he came and embraced them both warmly. He beamed brightly as he regarded them from a step back. "I admit I am surprised you returned so soon, but I am glad it seems Venezia treated you well."

"Indeed it did, and there is much to talk about," the young man mused, sharing a look with Catherine.

Claudia sighed softly, "I will take that as my leave then. I must get my husband into the actual bed, after all. Uncle, be sure they get something to eat before you talk, though. I doubt they have had a proper, hot meal in a while. And do not keep them too late."

"As you command," Mario laughed lightly, and then gestured for Catherine and Ezio to follow while his niece slipped back into her room. When he got curious looks from the two, he laughed again. "Your sister is quite the commander, my dear boy—especially now she has had a child. There is a touch of mother hen to her now; especially with her husband. I can hardly get him out for training."

"...Maybe we should have stayed back in Venezia," the redhead mused, earning a chuckle from her commander.

"No, it is good you are back. I was actually rather worried when I got your letter, Ezio. You did not write much, but I am glad to see you are both intact... you are intact, yes?" the older man inquired, pausing at the stairs to give them a look. The two exchanged glances before Catherine met the commander's gaze.

"Now we are... sort of. Well, Ezio is."

"...We should head to my study then. Come. I had food prepared and sent there the moment I heard you were back."

"Thank-you," Ezio nodded, and they followed him into the room. Sure enough, food was waiting, and they happily gobbled up about half of it before they gave the Commander their attention once more. He watched them expectantly, and it was Catherine whom sighed, stepped forward, pulled out the Clock from her pocket, and set it on the desk. Mario looked to it, eyes widened ever-so-slightly, and flicked his gaze between her and Ezio.

She nodded, "He knows—about everything."

"So you decided to tell him."

"I, ah, sort of had to. It... well, I learned something new about it."

"'Something new'?" he inquired, eyes narrowing.

Ezio stepped forward, face set sternly, "It causes her pain—great harm even. Its power is too great. Too dangerous."

"But I still can't get rid of it—it won't let me. You know that bit... but, yes... when I used it about a week or two ago, I did so more than I ever had before, and... well, I think I almost died. Maybe. I don't think it would let me get to that point, but I was in bad shape. It took me days before I could walk or run, and even now I feel like I get tired faster, and when Ezio and I had a sparring match on the way here... I, ah... did not do as well."

"...I see," Mario rumbled, looking away with his brows scrunched as he rubbed his chin. He was not happy, that was evident, but like them, he knew there was not much that could be done. So he let out a deep, heavy breath of air. He fixed his gaze on them, "So you have returned to recover then?"

"That is one reason, but," Ezio began, gesturing to the redhead, "mostly it is because of her efforts with her Clock. She had to use it to prevent a massacre of the Thieves' Guild in Venezia and myself, but it also created a massive stir. The guards have been searching for her—for both of us, actually, but mostly her. The leader of the Thieves, Antonio, asked we leave for our own safety, and to help calm things down."

"A wise move... so you met a guild in Venezia—you made allies?" he mused, and they both nodded. "That is good... Excellent work, both of you. I had a suspicion there would be some there, but without confirmation... well, I did not want to give you false hope. I am glad you found aid—I am sure you have come to realize you need it there."

"Definitely," Catherine replied, silently burying her curiosity. While she didn't think Mario was lying, she wasn't sure he was telling the entire truth about the guilds. She couldn't believe he wouldn't have said something even if it was to prevent false hope. That wasn't like him. She would respect his choice, though, and wait until things became clearer. "We struck an alliance the first day we were there, actually. Antonio wants us to help rebuild his Guild and weaken Emilio at the same time. We still don't know all who else is working with the Templar, but we're bound to find out as we go. Unfortunately... Antonio thinks it will be years before we can touch Emilio. His control is too strong in the district, but the plan is to slowly release it and help the people—to turn them to our cause."

"That is often how things must be in our war. It is not one that happens quickly like the ones you hear go on between monarchies. It sometimes takes even generations, but your work will come to fruition so long as you hold fast," Mario spoke, and they knew it to be true.

"I would rather we end him sooner, though... but it is what it must be," Ezio added with a slight sigh. "We're not sure how long until it's safe to return, but Antonio will send word once he needs our help again. Until then... we will be home."

"Well, I am always glad to have you both back. I am sorry you suffered, little one, but you will have no need to use the artifact here," the Commander smiled, reaching out to touch the redhead's shoulder warmly.

She grasped his hand, "Thank-you. I know I'm safe here... and now I can really work on regaining my strength. I'm not sure how long it will take, though..."

"We'll get you there, don't worry. I'll be there to help the whole way," Ezio smiled, coming over and wrapping an arm around her waist, and then placed a kiss on her brow. She smiled back, leaning into his touch, and then returned her attention to Mario, whose eyes were wider than she'd seen them in a long while. The young man noticed, too, and he grinned like a fox. "Ah, right. We forgot to tell you the other news..."

"We, ah... we're a, y'know, couple," the redhead chuckled a bit sheepishly, and then laughed when Mario's face lit up.

"Ah! That is wonderful! It is about damn time, boy!" the older man snapped, jabbing a finger at the young man, whom stepped back with his arms raised in surrender. "I was ready to clobber you both for being so foolish about it!"

"Wait—you, too? What, has everyone been hoping we'd gotten together by now?" Catherine exclaimed, flabbergasted.

Mario gave her a look, "Of course! Who do you think has been letting them keep on with their little bet?"

"Wha—Mario! Are you kidding me!?" she groaned, slapping her hands to her face.

"So... how many men are losing coin?" Ezio smirked, and earned a smack to his belly that made him laugh.

"About half—we forced them to when everyone else kept betting you would become a couple. It seems, Nephew, you convinced many when you scared that one rookie shitless when he mentioned he was going to try and court Catherine."

"Ezio!"

The young man shrugged, "What? I couldn't just let him waltz in and try to steal you from me!"

"Oh my God, you're such a jealous man-child, why do I love you?"

"You know exactly why, and come now—do you really think any of the others compare? You think they would be better?" he smirked, folding his arms over his chest. The redhead huffed, setting her hands on her hips, and giving him a slight glare. It faltered, though, and became a smirk as she snorted haughtily.

"Actually, Giotto wasn't too bad. Had a nice build; rugged face; made good jokes. Matteo was a charmer—quite skilled, too. Maybe Piero, or even Leonello were both good choices. Oh, and—."

"Catherine, for God's sake, please stop giving him names of my men to kill," Mario rasped, rolling his eyes. The redhead looked to her Commander innocently, although she knew full well Ezio was becoming rather riled up. She could see it in the way his shoulders tensed and how his lip twitched ever-so-slightly. Oh, God, she was going to have fun with his jealousy.

"Oh, don't you worry, dear. You know you're the only one for me," she winked with a playful laugh, which only made the young man make a huffy grunt-like sound. The redhead snickered as she turned to the older man. "So I take it that means we have your blessing... and the entirety of the city's?"

"Well, you have mine, and all of the family's I don't doubt along with the men... but I am sure many will also be disappointed to have lost a chance. But worry not for them. Rather, you should be concerned of the Madam Auditore's opinion. You know you need her approval, Ezio," Mario mused rather wryly, scratching at his beard.

The young man shrugged, waving off the concern, "Mother will approve. She adores Catherine."

"Perhaps... but she is your mother, and you should get her blessing regardless. If not for your courting, then for marriage."

"Okay, what—why does everyone jump to marriage so fast? We've only been courting for like two weeks."

"She acts like she'd say no if I asked right now," Ezio smirked, bringing a flush to the redhead's face. "But I am being good to her and waiting. You are right, though, Uncle. I will need to speak to Mother of this—to give the good news."

"Tomorrow, though," Catherine groaned, rubbing her face. "All of this talking is making me tired and we rode a loooooong way. I'm ready to sleep for a whole day again."

"See? She cannot even handle a simple ride. She's become lazy it seems," the young man mused with mock-exasperation, but could not hold back his laugh when his love sent him a seething glare.

"I do not doubt you must both be weary, actually, and I would recommend we leave more discussion of things to come for tomorrow. I will not require you to start training right away, and let you both settle back in, but we may need help: we have begun construction on new buildings outside the city. More homes."

"More expansion?" Catherine inquired, to which Mario nodded.

"Indeed, but, again, we can discuss it tomorrow. For now, both of you go and rest," he went on, then paused before suddenly grinning wryly. "Shall I have the men send both of your things to Ezio's room then?"

While Catherine flushed, the young man laughed, "Indeed! And feel free to have her room made into a guest one. She will not be using it anymore."

"Considering how I'm about to kick this jerk's ass, I'd suggest you leave it be. Depending on if I like his bed better, he may be sleeping in my room alone some nights," the redhead hissed, but accepted the young man's arm around her waist.

Mario chuckled, shaking his head, "Ah, young love. I knew it once briefly. But, enough with you two. Take your food with you, and sleep. Again, it is good to have you both home and well. And do not worry, little one. We will make you strong again, and then stronger still

The redhead nodded, smiling gently, "Thank-you, Mario. We'll see you in the morning."

With a similar bid good night from her companion, a quick return of her Clock to her pocket, and gathering their plates of food, the two lovers ventured their way back upstairs and into the young man's humble abode. It was more lavish than she recalled, and a great deal had been added in terms of furniture and decorations. Most were variations of red and gold to match his house colors, and there was even a crest combined with the Assassin sigil hanging over the bed. Desks, tables, a dresser, and even a mannequin for his gear had been installed. It was there the young man placed his things as he undressed, while she set hers on a chair. It felt good to be rid of it all, and she was even happier to finish the last bits of her meal and flop down onto his bed. She vaguely noted the mattress had been changed, and the sheets were nicer than she remembered. Of course, she forgot all about it the minute the owner of said bed pulled her into his arms and gave her a deep, searing kiss.

"Mmm... you taste like the soup," she snickered.

"As do you... at least on your lips. I'm rather curious as to how the rest of you tastes, though. I have been forced to endure with only watching my food these agonizing weeks. No more, though," Ezio rumbled huskily, his beard brushing against her cheek as he brought his lips to her collar, nipping lightly. Her heart raced as she gasped at the shivers it gave her, fingers clenching at his shirt. He ended up sighing, though, and left only a kiss as he flopped down next to her. "Tomorrow, that is. I admit I'm actually exhausted, too."

"Ha! And you called me out on it," Catherine barked before pouting in the next moment. "Don't tease me like that, though. You get me all excited for nothing."

"You love it, and don't worry—I will make good on my threats tomorrow, regardless if Uncle needs help or not. You certainly will not be leaving this bed."

"Such a naughty boy," she giggled, turning to face him.

He smirked, "The worst. Now, off with that shirt."

"Such a needy boy, too. Don't forget to take yours off, either," she grumbled, but did as he asked—not that she would have said no, anyways; she liked feeling their bare chests together. He happiy heeded her command, too, and he did not waste a second gathering her in his arms. She was all too eager to settle her head against him, relishing in the comfort of his body and the bed, which was infinitely better than the ground, and even the one in Venezia. Oh, yes, they would sleep well tonight, for there would be very little of it tomorrow.

-O-

April 6, 1481

Monteriggioni, Italy

Catherine didn't know why she thought things would go smoothly. Honestly, she should have known better. Things never did like to work out perfectly in her love life, and while Ezio was definitely still her lover, it seemed fate wanted to waylay any effort to finally do more than just kiss and touch. She'd had a lovely preview of what was to come on the road home when he'd played around with his hands, but now she wanted the whole deal, but dammit all if she wasn't apparently going to have to work for it.

By that, of course, she meant going through some morning exercise while Ezio was pulled away to work with Claudia on some negotiations and then physical work out in the construction area—and also, Catherine suspected, to talk about certain matters that had been hinted at yesterday. She did a quick run around the city and was pleased to find she didn't collapse or lose a lung because of it. From there she did attack maneuvers, and while that did leave her huffing and puffing for air, she still managed. It was a letdown, though, and she cursed the artifact hidden in her pocket. She was getting stronger, however, as her spars with Ezio on the way home had left her worse off. It was a reminder of what using the power of a god did, though—the punishment for it—and she made sure to keep it in her mind at all times. She would have to work hard not to use it, although she also had to remember she was still here in this time. Her work was not yet done. She still had to save Ezio from something, and she didn't know what, which meant she still had to use the Clock at some point.

Until then, though—and until her next training session later in the day, she took her time walking the streets of her home—also, in part, to avoid Claudia who probably wanted to interrogate her like her brother. Not much had changed at all, which was nice. Oh, there were certainly more people and the buildings and foliage looked better and ever, but it was home like she remembered it from the day she had come. Everyone knew her still, and she still knew most everyone, although there were plenty of new visitors. There were definitely more of those than she remembered, which was good for the city. It meant more coin and popularity to spread around, which brought more coin. So it was nice to see.

She wasn't traveling just for sight-seeing, however. Rather, she had a purpose—one she actually meant to keep on the down-low. As such, she took to the roof tops once she was done looking around, and hopped from building to building. It was easy enough to get the lavish structure, nestled snugly in the corner left of the entrance gate. The pleasant scents hit her nose long before she reached it, and so was inundated by the smell of lavender as she slipped into the roof entrance—the same one she knew Ezio had loved to use. It brought her into a small, but quaint room that was filled with various items. It was just the attic, so she made for the entrance, which was just an easy-to-lift slab of wood. From there she slipped down into the main area, and she had to admit the place was actually rather stunning. She'd never been inside The Carnal Rose, but she could see why it was so famous—for more than just the women, anyways. Ghita took good care of it.

Speaking of, she spotted the Madame clad in her red and gold on the bottom level. Catherine leaned over the railing, noting all the other scantily clad courtesans spread around, some entertaining men, and others lounging about. She could hear sounds of ecstasy here and there, and for once they didn't make her uneasy. That wasn't to say she was a little uncomfortable, but mostly for her reason for coming here. Said reason had her regard the women, note how they worked the men like they were nothing; how they made them swoon and gush and yearn. She didn't want to admit it, but she was a little jealous. She didn't know how to do all that. Oh, Ezio yearned and wanted her, but she didn't know how to work a man like the ladies did. She was a greenhorn at it all, and realized how awkward she would be doing things. Hell, she had nearly been a nervous wreck in Venezia when she'd taken just a little initiative, and even then he'd taken over quickly enough.

'Well, time to try and change things,' Catherine sighed softly, and made a quick whistle—one Ghita would know. Sure enough, the woman's gaze turned upwards in an inconspicuous way befitting a Madame, and after a moment, she spotted the redheaded young woman. She raised a curious brow, but adhered to the young woman's gesture to come up. With grace and smoothness only an expert would have, the Madame strolled upstairs past all the customers and ladies—she paused briefly to speak to one of the girls; possibly a second-in-command, so to speak, whom went downstairs afterwards—and came to stand beside Catherine.

"Not much has been able to surprise me these days, but imagine mine when I saw a certain young lady in here of all places," Ghita hummed, a teasing smile upon her face as she leaned on the railing with the redhead.

"Yes, well... I...ah... needed some advice," she replied, and the Madame raised a brow.

"From me?"

"Yes, from you," Catherine chuckled, albeit sheepishly. "It's, um... well... a little... personal. Or rather... intimate is the better word."

Ghita stood up, "Aaah. I see... come—there is a room we might speak."

"Thank-you," the redhead replied, and promptly followed the Madame down the hall and through a door hidden behind a curtain. It was a small, lavish study lined with shelves of book and decorated with plenty of paintings and other lavish items. Ghita settled herself down upon a lounging chair and ushered Catherine to sit at the other end. In front of them was a table, upon which some biscuits had been set. The Madame offered, but the redhead politely refused, giving the woman time to regard her for a few moments.

"So. You wished to discuss something... intimate? I take it you mean about Ezio."

Catherine flushed, "Jesus Christ, does everyone know yet?"

"Not everyone," Ghita chuckled. "Just those who are good at finding out information. My ladies will be sorely disappointed once they learn, though. He was one of their favorite patrons."

"Thank-you for that."

"What? It is only the truth, although he has not visited much in the last year—hardly ever at all. He has been quite smitten with you for some time, my dear. Anyways, you wished to ask something of me?"

"I changed my mind, give me the damn biscuits," Catherine groaned, taking about three of them, and then sighing deeply. "It's intimate because... well, I... I want... do right... by him."

"How so?"

"Well, we haven't... made love yet," she rumbled, and groaned at the surprised look she was given. "Not for any particular reason—just... we haven't gotten to. We... well, he... did some touching and plenty of kissing, but... not more. Yet."

"You are worried you will not be able to?"

"Er—ah, no. No, he meant to this morning. We almost did, actually, but he was called away."

"So what troubles you, then?"

"I'm just... I'm worried," Catherine sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. When Ghita said nothing, she glanced at the woman, and sighed a second time. "I'm worried about not... measuring up. Or what not. I don't want to disappoint him."

Of all the reactions, laughter was not what the redhead expected. It was what she got, though, and her blush increased by an infinite amount as Ghita stifled it to a giggle.

"My apologies, Catherine. I am not making fun of you. I promise, I am not. It is just... of all the things to worry about, and it is disappointing him? Surely, you jest?" she inquired with amusement, but when the redhead didn't reply, she sobered. "Ah. You do not. Catherine, you could not disappoint him if you tried."

"Ghita... I've never been with someone. Ezio's the first guy I've kissed. I've never been intimate. I've never... I don't know what to do."

"And is this an issue for you? For him? Has he expressed displeasure?"

"Well, no, but... I just... I wanna do right by him. I want to make sure he's happy, too."

"So how do you hope to fix this, mm?"

"I... well, I was hoping to know what... umm... it's... well, Ezio always liked coming here... so, I mean... the women... they know how to make the men happy. So I thought, maybe..."

"You hoped to see if they could share this knowledge?" Ghita mused, to which Catherine nodded. The Madame hummed thoughtfully as she tapped her lip. Her eyes rested on the redhead for a long while before she reached for a biscuit and took a quick bite. When she swallowed, she returned her gaze to her visitor. "Catherine, what my ladies do for these men... it is not for their happiness. It is for distraction—and for business. We take their coin in exchange for distracting them from the pain and agony of their world; to give them a false sense of security; to make them feel good. We do not make them feel happy. We do not elevate them from their position or take them away from their misery. Ultimately they return to it, but we are always here to provide them distraction whenever they please—so long as they have the coin.

She smiled when the redhead stared back in confusion, "You wish to make Ezio happy? Then you need not to do anything but be as you are. Is he not happy with you already? Has he shown displeasure? Unhappiness?"

"He—I... er... no. He's... we've been very happy. He's only been unhappy we keep getting blocked from being intimate."

"Then you need not worry."

"But—I want... I...want... I want to be able to... please him, too. He knows how to pleasure me, but I don't know about him..."

"Ah, I see. You wish to return the favor, mm?" Ghita mused, brow raised wryly.

"I... yeah, I guess. He... I kinda took the initiative one time, and I think he liked it a lot... but it took a lot of courage for me to do it, and I'm worried if I don't... y'know, do my own part..."

"My dear, you worry far too much," the Madame chuckled, shaking her head and finishing the last of her biscuit. "If Ezio loves you—truly loves you, then he will never be disappointed or unhappy with you. And should you truly feel you two have some... issue with this... then simply speak to him. You see, part of the reason my ladies are so successful and men return here often, is because we learn about them. We talk to them. My ladies find what troubles their clients, and they learn what they seek to satisfy their desires. Some want to simply fuck; some wish to make love; some wish to be pleasured; some wish to give pleasure; some wish to only talk. Men with all sorts of needs come, and we learn them by talking to them. As for what this means for you... my lesson is this: ask Ezio what he wants. Do not assume he will tell you, and do not assume he will be fine with any and everything. Ask him what he wishes, and he will tell you. If you are uncertain you can comply, then ask him to be patient, and ask him to help teach you. He will be able to show you exactly what he likes and wants. Likewise, you will find he will do the same for you. Such is the way to true intimacy—to full ecstasy. Do you understand?"

Catherine was quiet, not answering at first. Her mind raced, taking in the woman's words. It wasn't what she had hoped or thought she would hear. No, she'd thought she might be given some tips on how to make Ezio feel good—how to give good blow or hand jobs or something, but this was something else. This was better, actually. Much better. It was what she needed to hear.

Breathing in deeply, she looked to the Madame, "Yes... I think I do. I... thank-you, Ghita. I, uh... I think I feel better now. I'm still gunna be nervous, but... y'know."

"Just ask him. Trust me, my dear. Ezio will be good to you. Any man willing to withstand the call of my ladies for the woman he pines for is not one to abandon her so easily. You have nothing to fear."

"That... yeah, that's true," Catherine chuckled, shaking her head. "I'm just nervous—this will be my first time."

"All girls are nervous of their first. Do not worry, though; Ezio will take care of you. There is a reason he is a favorite."

"I... I feel like I should be mad at that, but I'm also relieved at the same time?" the young woman mused, brow scrunched up to show her conflict. Ghita laughed as she stood and waltzed over to a cabinet. From its doors she removed a satchel that had a lingering scent of cinnamon. It was very pleasing, and the Madame handed it over to the redhead.

"Here. Back when Ezio came often, he always enjoyed this scent the most. You know how to use it?"

"Yeah. I've burned an incense before. Thank-you—again, Ghita. I really owe you."

"More than you know. My ladies will be so upset knowing he won't look their way anymore," the Madame chuckled, to which Catherine grinned sheepishly. "Now, go on. Worry not, and may you have a pleasurable night, my dear."

The redhead flushed again, but she noted she wasn't as nervous as she had been before. The Madame had given her just the right advice, and so she kept the cinnamon incense close as she bid Ghita farewell, and left the same way she had come. She wasted no time in returning to the Villa, and would have slipped right up into his room to start preparing—it was almost evening—but she stopped when she noticed a familiar figure in the gallery. The woman wore a dress of gold with red adornments, and her hair was loose in threads of gold. She was walking slowly, admiring the painting, and even adjusting them as she needed. Such was the duty of Maria Auditore in the Villa, and she no doubt had Leonardo's painting already set up for view for the visitors that occasionally came by.

She looked like she was doing well. She had been for some time—ever since she had started to talk again and with Annetta's return. Her face had filled out, although now she had some wrinkles she hadn't before. Yet, they hardly detracted from her radiance or noble air. Her smile gave away the kindness she carried, though, as did her gentle eyes—of which flicked in Catherine's direction, causing her to jump slightly. The Lady's smile widened and she motioned for the redhead to come over. The redhead's cheeks matched her hair as she quickly padded to the woman's side, and was bade to look at the painting before them—the Birth of Venus.

"Beautiful, no?" Maria hummed, giving a glance to Catherine, whom nodded.

"Definitely. I've always liked this one. Well, I like a lot of them, actually. You've done wonders in here," she replied, looking around.

"Thanks to you, my dear, and to my children. This is as much your and theirs work as it is mine," she chuckled and began to walk. Catherine followed, of course, and listened keenly as the woman went on. "You have done a great deal of good, in fact—especially with my family. You helped them when I could not, and I owe you much for that. You have helped my son most of all, and I have not missed your effect upon him. He has grown a great deal—become so strong and proud. I see his father in him, and the greatness of the Auditore's in him as well. You make him a better man."

"I... I mean... I just... I try to do the right thing, and encourage him, too."

"You make him better all the same, and it is only fitting he has finally seen it himself," Maria smiled knowingly, and the redhead stared dumbly. The older woman laughed and turned to face the young woman. "Catherine, I mean to say I approve of your court ship. You do not need to play fool with me; I am very aware of your affections for one another. Ezio has often spoke of you in council with me. He did not confess, no, but he spoke highly of you, and I know love when I see it. It is not unlike the love I had with Giovanni. It is perhaps stronger even, as you support him as I could not my husband."

"You shouldn't belittle what you did—Giovanni would not have been as strong as he was without you."

"Indeed. Just as Ezio would not, and so you have my blessing completely and wholly. I only ask you continue as you are and do not change. And, of course, make one another happy. Do what Giovanni and I could not," the Lady Auditore spoke softly, a sad look coming across her face as she reached out and took Catherine's hands in hers. The redhead returned the hold with a gentle squeeze and an even gentler smile in kind.

"I promise—we will. Always. And, thank-you, my Lady. It means everything you approve."

"Of course, my dear. Just, do me a kindness and do not take too long to grant me another grandchild, mm?" she inquired, and laughed with delight as the redhead's widening eyes.

"Geez—I swear I'm going to die from embarrassment before we even get married!" she groaned, shaking her head. "Please show some mercy on me?"

"I will... consider it. Now, go on. I have taken enough of your time, my dear," Maria chuckled, placing a kiss upon Catherine's brow and then turning away. The redhead sighed, mostly with relief. Yet again her worries were abated, and she felt even surer of herself now. Well, at least unless the older woman suddenly smirked. "Oh, and a word of warning: you may wish to keep an eye out for my daughter. Ezio apparently did not divulge enough about your new relations, and she is determined to find the answer."

"Oh good Lord... I may as well just get it over with since she's going to find out at some point today, whether she strangles Ezio or me or both of us," Catherine chuckled, shaking her head.

"Either way, good luck, my dear."

'I'm going to need it,' the redhead silently mused before turning around and leaving the woman to her gallery.

Now that left only one thing, and with nothing—or hopefully nothing—left to stop her, she finally made her way to the stairs to Ezio's room. A quick venture up and she was within the rather large abode, which was still empty. That was a relief, actually; it gave her time to prep the gift from Ghita—and also to steel herself for what was to come tonight. She had various concerns about it still, but she pushed them back as she kept herself busy with things. It would still be a few hours before supper, so she did what she could: reading; writing; drawing; eating a little early; anything to pass the time. She even used Claudia, whom finally found her, and a rather long, arduous talk was had with the young woman. Thankfully, that conversation ended well enough and the young woman was quite pleased of their union—or at least eventual one. Indeed, Claudia was very happy to know Catherine would become her sister—officially—at some point, and only urged her to make sure to keep her "fool of a brother" in line. Catherine promised—with a laugh—and that was, somehow, all that came of that.

From there things remained relatively quiet with the food done, and she kept herself busy with her tumultuous thoughts and doodling here and there. That is, until she heard a set of boots coming to the stairway. Her breath hitched, and despite everything she had been told, her heart still raced fast with excitement and worry. She waited with anxiousness for Ezio to haul himself up from the entrance, smile at the sight of her, pause as he sniffed the air suddenly, and raised a brow as he came over.

"Is that... cinnamon?" he inquired as he wrapped his arms around her.

She chuckled, heart still racing, "Yeah, it is. Thought it would be nice."

"It's wonderful," he purred before stealing a kiss. He parted to begin taking off his belt, boots, and weapons he always carried. "Have you eaten yet? I went ahead—I was starving after all the work today."

"I ate a little early, so I'm good. Are you... tired?" she asked tentatively, and flushed when he gave her an odd look. He grinned wryly, though as he returned to her side and cupped her cheek in his hands.

"A little, but I will always have time and energy for you. Besides... as I recall... we were... interrupted this morning," he growled softly, stealing kiss after kiss between words while his hands roved.

"Indeed we were," Catherine giggled as she turned slightly, and, her fears dwindling some, nudged him back. His legs hit the edge of the bed, causing him to fall onto it. He laughed, but then grew quiet as he watched her reach up and undo her ribbon, letting her hair fall out and dangle over her shoulders. He leaned up, eyes roving her as she came closer and was the one to cup the side of his face now. He had to tip his chin for her to easily reach his lips, brushing them together. For a split moment, even as his hands moved along her sides while she nestled between his legs, her insecurities returned. He must have noticed, for the ministrations with his fingers paused and he regarded her carefully.

"What is it?" he asked softly.

"I, ah... um..." she began, struggling to remember what she had gone to the Madame for. She breathed in deeply, though, and forced herself to calm down and think on things. It came back to her somehow, and she pushed her forehead against his. "I just... I want to... make you happy."

"Catherine, don't be silly—you already do," he laughed lightly, running a hand along her back, and although her shirt was between his palm and her flesh, she still shuddered at his touch.

"No, I know. I mean like... I want to physically make you happy. I want to do what you do to me—make me feel that way. I... I don't know how to, though. And don't tell me you don't need me to. I want to. I want to do right by you, like you do me," she replied, and he was quiet for a long while as she finished. Her heartbeat jumped to an insane level during the wait, worried she had done something wrong. However, her anxiety turned to surprise when he suddenly grasped her rump to pull her to him, thighs pressed against his. She gasped when he rolled them, pinning her beneath him, and he kissed her deeply and with such passion her breath was practically stolen from her lungs. She could only stare, wide-eyed when he pulled back but an inch.

"You are, without doubt, the most beautiful and wonderful and amazing woman I have ever had the joy of meeting and ever loved... and I could never nor would I ever love another more than I do you right now," he rumbled, and her chest swelled. He kissed her again as he let his hands wander once more, groping and massaging her body in such a way that sparks shot through each and every spot he touched. "You said not to say so, but I will: you don't need to do anything for me, Catherine. You are exactly what I want, and you make me happy physically. I promise you that. But, I know you are a damned stubborn creature, and so I will gladly tell you what you can do for me—one day. But tonight I am going to finally make good on my promise and make you scream in pleasure. That will make me happy tonight. So tell me—are you at ease now?"

"I, ah... y-yeah," she somehow managed to squeak out, and an almost feral look came over him—or was that lust? Both? She wasn't really sure anymore, but she was more than willing to find out.

"Good. Because I am at my limit right now," he groaned, and, sure enough, he kissed her even harder. She returned it, of course, and her hands mimicked his own; searching and feeling every inch of his skin. Their clothes were in the way, though, and he must have thought the same thing, because just as she started to undo his buttons, he essentially ripped hers to expose her bare flesh to him. He did not waste time exploring, and every inch he found sent shocks of fiery pleasure through her. She quivered and shuddered and gasped and moaned, and he responded in kind, growing more relentless and wild at every sound she made. It was almost too much, and she hated the fact she shook as his touch and tongue ventured further down. He had not gone that far before, and his senses were wholly in tune with hers—enough to where he slowed until he paused entirely and returned to her lips, kissing them gently this time. He met her gaze, searching them. When he did not find his answer himself, he spoke.

"Catherine, do you want this right now—truly? I don't mind if you do not. I will not take you if you don't feel you're ready. I want this badly, yes, but I won't force you. You have to want it, too, but I will wait if I must," he said gently, reaching up to cup her cheek. She swallowed roughly, mind racing as fast as the heart in her chest.

Was she not ready? Was that why she had shivered? Was it hesitance? Certainly, this was something new, and something she had only dreamed about but never thought could come to be. It was only natural to be nervous. There was no need to be, though, was there? No, she loved this man atop her; making her feel as she never had before. This was the man who loved her; adored her; wanted her to be happy. Everything he did from this moment on was solely for her pleasure, and he would never hurt her. Never.

Her courage returned, and she hooked an arm under his to grasp at his back, and reached with her other hand to grasp at his locks to pull him to her and kiss him hard. He returned it at once and pressed as close as he could. When she pulled away, he still waited; ever patient; ever perfect in all ways to her.

"I want you, Ezio. I trust you. I love you. I'm yours, and I want this," she told him, and he waited only a moment before he gave her a searing kiss.

No more was said, and with nothing more to hold them back, they, at last, gave into their passions.

-O-

Catherine let out a soft, pleasurable sigh as she woke in the middle of the night, the candles and incense having long since gone out, leaving the room nearly pitch black. She could still make out the firm, warm body next to her, though, sleeping just as soundly as she had. It was to be expected after a rather long bout of love-making. It had, undoubtedly, been the best, infinite moments of her life, and she felt her body quiver with excitement and anticipation at the thought of his touch and his tongue and his—well, cock.

She grinned stupidly as she turned towards him, giving him a quick kiss as she nestled back down. He stirred, making a groan-like sound as he stretched out and opened his eyes. He looked at her blearily at first, but then smiled and reached up to tangle his fingers in her hair so he could pull her close for a deep kiss. His hand then traveled down to her side, going back and forth over her hips; effectively nudging the sheets away to expose her fully to him again. His eyes moved with his hand, a pleased rumble coming from his chest.

She chuckled, "Sounds like someone is ready for round two."

"I think you mean four... and I'm always ready for more of you... but are you?" he mused, although he cheekily reached over and groped her rear. It got a brief laugh before she bit her lip thoughtfully, eyes flicking down to where his manhood was hiding under the sheet.

"Hmm... maybe... in a little bit... I'm... er... actually a little sore now that I think about it," she grumbled, finally noticing she did, in fact, feel raw between her legs.

"Ah—forgive me. I may have been overzealous," Ezio snickered as he slipped his hands to the inside of her thighs, rubbing gently. Even in the dark, she knew he was waggling his brow. "Shall I help make it feel better?"

Catherine perked a brow, "Pretty sure what you're thinking will make it better will only make me unable to walk tomorrow morning."

"How is it you know me so well, my love?" he purred, but relented and instead brought his arm around her waist and pulled her atop him. He rubbed along her back while she stretched and rest her head on his chest. "You are alright, though? I did try to be gentle..."

"Ezio, I'm fine, don't worry. Just... new to it... and we just need to get me used to it. Should be easy enough, right?"

A lustful glimmer appeared in his dark irises, "Indeed. But you should rest for now. There will be much more to come later."

"Sounds like a plan," Catherine smiled as she grew quiet, just looking into his eyes. She leaned up a moment later, reaching up with one hand to cup his cheek and rub her thumb along his scruff. God, she loved this man. Her chest was swollen with the feeling, and she knew, without doubt, she could never love another like this.

"What is it?" Ezio chuckled suddenly, brushing his own hand along her cheek and playing with locks of her hair.

"It's just... I love you... and I guess... I can't believe this is real. It is real, isn't it?" she inquired softly, earning another chuckle before he sat up, too. He kissed her deeply and left a trail along her neck, though stopped at her collar.

"I assure you, it's very real. You're mine, and I'm yours... and that will not change so long as I draw breath. You've ruined me, my love, and if I must make it even more clear, then I'll have to ask you to forgive me, because I'm going to put a ring onto your finger whether you like it or not."

"Ezio," Catherine huffed.

He smirked, "I don't see why you're hesitant, kitty-'Cat."

"It's just... I don't want to... move too fast, I guess."

"Hmm... well, I would give you something then—to ward off any... others," he rumbled, eyes roving her body.

She laughed, "You mean to make it so I can't tease you? Can't make you jealous?"

"Exactly. Now what to give you..."

"How about..." the redhead mused, her own eyes roving his firm form and landing on the two ornaments on his chest. He noticed and picked up the one with his sigil on it, but she shook her head. "No; that one is yours—always. It's your proof of being a good man, and I want you to wear it. Even during sex."

An amused grin crossed face, "I got too excited when I saw you naked before me, but if you insist... So you want... this one? My old one?"

"Yeah," she smiled, touching at the black string with white pendants. "It's the one you've always had—and I like it."

"Say no more," Ezio replied as he reached behind his neck, undid the tie, and had it around her neck a second later. He leaned back to admire it, able to see it in the dark as she touched at it tenderly. He let out a slow breath, "It's beautiful on you."

"And now you can relax—no one would dare flirt with me once they see this on my neck," she giggled, and then giggled some more when he wrapped his arms tight around her and nipped her neck.

"As it should be—you are all mine, kitty-'Cat," he purred into her neck before leaving a tender kiss to make up for his roughness.

"The same goes for you," she grinned, and then laughed lightly. "You know, it's funny; I always thought things would change a lot when this happened. But... it's... well, it's not very different at all."

"And why should it be? All that's different is that we're no longer hiding from one another. Did you... hope something would change?"

She tilted her head, "Hmm... not really. I love you as you are... but... I guess this does change things a little for us. I mean... we're lovers now."

"I suppose it is changed a little, but it only means I will not let you deny me anymore. I will steal all the kisses I want, and I will make you lust for this always."

"Jesus Christ, you're terrible!" the redhead laughed, shaking her head. "I'll have to find a way to get back at you then. Find new ways to tease you..."

"Believe you me, you are a tease all by yourself, kitty-'Cat, and if this is all the change that's to come... then I welcome it."

"Same here. I'm more than happy to keep learning what you have to teach," she winked as she slid off his belly to lay against his side.

"Good, because I'm about to give you another lesson," he smirked, suddenly rolling so he was on top. He hiked one of her legs over his hip as he kissed her hard, leaving her half-laughing, half-breathless.

"Remember—I am a little sore still," she giggled, running her fingers through his hair.

"Don't worry; I'll be gentle," he growled huskily, and there was nothing more to be said as he kissed her again, and started her on the path to ecstasy once more.

And all the while, if she had any doubts about things between them—about what might change—they were abated. No matter what happened or what came their way or whatever machinations the Templars threw at them, she knew so long as she had Ezio by her side, then it would be alright.

And now I'm just rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

That God blessed the broken road
Ooh, ooh
That led me straight to you

------------

Act II

End

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

315K 13K 83
⚠️*MAJOR TRIGGER WARNING*⚠️ ⚠️*KINDLY READ ONLY IF YOU'RE AN ADULT. THERE IS A LOT OF SEXUAL CONTENT, VIOLENCE, INAPPROPRIATE SCENES AND FOUL LANGUAG...
81.1K 3.4K 32
Ezio Auditore da Firenze; a Florentine Nobleman turned assassin after the death of his father and two brothers. A seducer of women, playful, possessi...
535 29 19
His cockiness was going too much, I'll have to destroy his perfectly made face later. "We'll be just partners in this mission. Nothing more." He smir...
122K 2.1K 43
🚧 UNDER CONSTRUCTION 🚧 〤In editing process, first book, revamping in progress〤 ❝ 𝐿𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝑀𝒶𝒹𝑒 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒟𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓇 𝐼𝓃 𝒴𝑜𝓊 𝐿𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝐿𝒾𝓀...