Predator

By Sophiep1995

[Book Two, Sequel to Prey] Jessica is now part of Shield, All of them have something in common, a burning hat... More

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15

Part 1

1.1K 38 2
By Sophiep1995

A/N: So, I'll just put this out there, this book is not going to be linked to the original TV show as I want to take it somewhere else (I won't say anything to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't watched it yet) So the ending to the TV Show is not in this, doesn't exist anymore. So if you're reading something and you're like 'Hey, but isn't she in...isn't she supposed to...' Most likely yes but in this story no.

The names Hunter, Jessica Hunter. Well, now that I'm an agent I have to act like one? Surely? Shield have trusted me, trained me, Daisy- being my supervising officer has taught me a lot and now they're even taking me out on missions. I never thought that I'd be an agent. I even got trained to use a gun! A bloody gun!

"You're pulling that face again" Lance sighed as I broke out of my thought bubble. "I swear, if you start doing roly poly's with your gun again I might have to shoot you myself" He seemed agitated, probably jealous because of my attitude towards all of this. I was excited, I felt welcomed and powerful.

"It does look cool though" I smiled and he rolled his eyes walking off. Even Daisy told me some stories that when she first had held of a gun, she started making bang noises. I'm not the only weird one?

I didn't even have my gun on me, even though I wish I did. I didn't need it for the missions they were sending me on. They were sending me out on fact finding missions which yes, is dull but it's better than being cooped up at Shield.

At the beginning it wasn't like this though, I was a mess. I couldn't believe how I was so easily manipulated by the man everyone hated. Daisy hasn't just been my SO though, she's been my friend, helping me emotionally and physically. She made me realise that it wasn't my fault, that I shouldn't blame myself as he's very clever and he can get to anyone. She told me more about when Ward was with Shield and how he had everyone fooled. I believed in myself again, I believed that I had no choice but to fall into his trap but I moved on. I'm happy now.

"Jess, I need you to ask that witness over there some questions" Daisy instructed me and I nodded. There was a strange fog going round some parts of Seattle. Apparently it has been making people go crazy for a short period of time. The only reason we got involved is because it wasn't like a normal fog, it was dark grey, it came as small bursts of cloud travelling too fast towards people. Basically, it wasn't normal. We had to figure out what was going on and how to stop it. Some people have committed suicide over it, others have been living in joy laughing non stop.

I made my way over to the lady who was curled up in the corner, shaking ever so slightly. She was affected by the fog and reacted badly to it.

"Hello?" I whispered, trying not to frighten her. I slowly knelt down and she peaked through her hands at me. "My names Jessica, I'm here to help you but I need to understand what's happened" I explained and she nodded slightly, her eyes were puffy and red as if she had been crying for hours non stop.

"It's pure evil" She whimpered, uncurling slightly. "I was walking home from work when I saw a man coming towards me. He wouldn't stop smiling at me...He wouldn't stop-"

"It's okay" I whispered, reaching out slowly and gently taking her hand.

"You won't believe me" She shook her head frantically and I raised an eyebrow slightly. "You'll think I'm insane"

"I've heard a lot of things in my lifetime. You won't surprise me" I assured her, waiting for her to continue.

"Well, the man suddenly vanished" She sniffed softly and wiped her eyes, "Then I see a fog surround me, smothering me. I wanted to run, scream and call for help but I was paralyzed. Then the fog disappeared again and it was like my worst fear came to life" She burst out in tears again and even though I wanted to comfort her, I had to focus on the mission. I had to get her to explain everything so we could figure out what this fog was and how to stop it before it could claim anyone else.

"What do you mean?"

"I-It was like a hallucination. It was like I was on a drug and was having a bad trip! It must have lasted for about ten minutes but for me it was a lifetime. I had my family...My dead family circle me. T-They looked horrible, all their bones were broken and they had blood dripping from them. But it stopped. It was like I blinked and they had disappeared but I suddenly felt weak" She looked at me confused and all I could do was give her the same confused look back. "As soon as the hallucinations stopped, my legs gave up on me and I fell to the floor. Next thing I know I have you coming up to me. I still feel weird"

"Thank you. I'll make sure you get treated" I whispered. "Whatever that fog was, it's gone" I assured her, lying to her to try and make her feel a little better but I doubt she believed me. She just nodded and let go of my hand as I made my way back to Daisy. She seemed to be on her tablet, watching something. When I peeked I saw CCTV footage of a man who suddenly turned into fog.

"Inhuman" Daisy whispered. The only one I've met that I know of is Daisy. She told me about her powers and even demonstrated them. She could make things vibrate, including people to the point of crushing their bones. Obviously, she didn't show me that. She never wants to do that.

"The lady told me that the fog made her hallucinate her worst fear" I explained and Daisy looked at me confused.

"Then why are some people laughing after the effects?"

"Well, she also told me that it was like she was on a drug. Kind of like LSD where you have a trip. Now, you either have a good trip or a bad trip. Maybe it affects people like that?" Her eyes widened as she put the tablet away.

"Hunter! We have to go back to Coulson!" Lance came running over nodding.

"I'm guessing inhuman by the look you're giving me" Lance sighed as Daisy nodded. "I'll drive" We all walked to the car, hopping in as Lance drove off.

"A power to make people trip?" I shook my head laughing a little. "I definitely prefer yours, Daisy" I tried making a joke out of it but everyone was too concentrated on finding this inhuman and fixing the problem.

***
After a long journey back to Shield, we all went straight to Coulsons office to report everything we found.

"It was like the effects of a drug" I explained to Coulson and he nodded at me pulling up a video on a projector screen.

"This fog has been drawing media attention to it. People have been praising it for giving them joy and laughter. Worshipping it"

"And the ones who don't experience the high?" Daisy asked.

"They remain quiet, hidden" He pressed play to reveal a group of people cheering on the fog, wanting it to come back. It was like a group of believers were asking for their God.

"Are they addicted to the fog?" I spoke up, looking at Coulson.

"We're not sure. People can be addicted to the euphoria feeling"

"I suppose people will do anything to get happiness...If it is like a drug then surely we have a fog like drug dealer going around?" I asked and Coulson made an unsure face.

"He's not profiting from this. He can keep people distracted whilst he goes after something else yet it seems like he's walking the streets, using his power to get a reaction? Publicity maybe?"

"Or its all new to him. Maybe he's trying to control it, make sure people feel the high instead of the low. Maybe he wants to be good but he's trying to understand it" Daisy spoke up making everyone turn to her. She could be right. Even though people were happy about this fog, the few who hit the low were the ones to suffer. They were scared, depressed and killing themselves. If this inhuman was trying to do the right thing he needed Daisy to help.

"So we need to capture him, help him control it" I sighed, knowing that I'd have to sit this one out.

"Yes. We need to be careful though. We want to talk to him, convince him that the best place for him is at Shield" Coulson stepped forward. "Which is why I'm sending Daisy, Jessica and Hunter"

"What?" Me and Lance chimed in unison. I was shocked, surprised Coulson would send me out on the field. Lance was probably pissed, didn't think I could handle it.

"I trust her and I trust you two to protect her" I swear I could almost do a fist pump. I wanted to rub it in Lance's face but he'd probably flip out.

"Her first actual mission and you send her out to an inhuman" Lance was definitely annoyed. 

"I can do it, Daisy's an inhuman so she can protect us if anything goes wrong" I shrugged and he shot me a death glare.

"Give her a chance" Daisy smiled at Lance, teasing and pouting at him like a kid. He waved her off and then stormed off. I laughed at Daisy as she shrugged at me. "It'll be nice to have you out there with us" 

"I can't wait"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.2K 254 11
Princess Skye has been raised to hate pirates. But what happens when she finds out a secret about her past when she is kidnapped by the most ruthless...
4.4K 75 9
¡READ DEAR MRS ROSE BEFORE THIS! This is just the alternative ending to this story and doesn't contain the beginning portion of the story. What happ...
106K 2.8K 30
[ B o o k 2 ] ❝ Promise me you will stand by me, not matter how hard the situation that we are in is. ❞ He said to me. ❝Always. ❞ I told him...
155K 8K 28
*Book Two in the "Deal Maker" series* Joanna definitely hasn't and doesn't have the perfect life. After being clean and sober for over a year, being...