MELODY (Book 1) ✓

By most_bay

I pledge myself to you, my love, My life is no longer my own, My afterlife is unknown, If I'm fortunate, If I... More

Epigraph
chapter 1 (Fired)
chapter 2 ( Some Hope)
chapter 3 (Stroll In Manhattan)
chapter 4 (The Café)
chapter 5 (Superman)
chapter 6 (First Sight)
chapter 7 (The Shelter)
chapter 8 (Wretch)
Chapter 9 (Investigation)
Chapter 10 (Addiction)
Chapter 11 (Weekend)
Chapter 12 (Books)
chapter 13 ( Sheep Meadow)
Chapter 14 ( Panic)
Chapter 15 (Akram)
Chapter 15 pt.2 (Akram)
chapter 16 (Spitting Cobra)
chapter 17 (Without A Trace)
chapter 18 (Return)
Chapter 19 pt1 (Friendly Dinner)
Chapter 19 pt2 (Friendly Dinner)
chapter 20 (Tuesday)
Chapter 21 (Serpentine Invasion)
chapter 22 (Reward)
Chapter 23 (Getting Ready)
Chapter 24 (The Movies) pt.1
Chapter 24 pt.2 ( The Movies)
chapter 24 (The Movies) pt.3
Chapter 25 (SMS)
Chapter 26 (Red-letter)
Chapter 27 (Heavy Birthday)
Chapter 28 (Threat)
Chapter 29 (Need For A change)
Chapter 30 (Breathing Spell)
Chapter 32 (Hanging By A Thread)
Chapter 33 pt.1 ( The Last Straw)
Chapter 33 pt.2 (The Last Straw)
Chapter 33 pt.3 (The Last Straw)
Thank You Note!
Chapter 34 (Taken)
Chapter 35 (Respite)
Chapter 36 (Distraction)
Chapter 37 (Shopping Trip)
A/N (Reader's Love)
Chapter 38 (Coming Clean)
Chapter 38 (Coming Clean) pt.2
Chapter 39 (Confessions)
Chapter 40 (Fears)
Chapter 41 ( The Police )
Interview With Akram!!!
Chapter 42 (Wounded)
Chapter 43 (Phone Call)
Dear Readers 😊
Chapter 44 (Unexpected Visitor)
A/N (Readers Love #2)
Chapter 45 (Chase)
Chapter 46 (At Home)
Chapter 47 (Conclusion)
Bonus Chapter!! *coming soon*
Epilogue (Declaration)
A Christmas Special!!!
*Just Making Sure*
Rewritten version #1

chapter 31 (Bad Luck)

547 95 526
By most_bay

Adamant bad luck.

My leg began to shake while Akram was ordering the ice-cream from the waitress; Krissy - my shelter mate and Vivian's hound dog. I wrung my hands, squeezing the soft toy and curled forward to hide my face. I was hoping she didn't notice, but it was hard to tell. I didn't dare to peek or even move. My breath was shallow from the shock and the super speed of my heart.

I shouldn't be surprised because that was me; the queen of the damned. Nothing ever ended well for me because, well, I existed. I used to feel like Cinderella when I'd been with Akram. Time was never enough. The fact is, I was much worse. Ella was so darn lucky compared to me. She had until midnight and she didn't have a cursed past haunting her every waking moment. Not that I didn't deserve it. Maybe I was too hopeful, wondering if I'd ever be granted a chance to compensate for my mistakes, but clearly I was wrong.

Krissy! And she works here of all places? What are the odds?!

Frap! Was she eavesdropping? Is that why she came in right after Akram wanted to order?

Akram's gentle voice brought me back from my trance. "Melody, what's wrong?"

Kriss was gone and, to my embarrassment, I was aware that I'd hunched my back and almost curled into a ball on my seat. I straightened up, drawing a long breath of the scented air into my lungs. I didn't want to panic but I couldn't risk it. I also couldn't risk being humiliated when our server returned.

I gulped. "I... Erm! I'm sorry. I'm not feeling well."

Akram's face was alarmed. He leaned closer, scanning my face. "Are you Okay? Anything I can do? "

"No, thanks. I really have to go."

"Mel, you look sick. Maybe I should take you to the hospital." His brows furrowed.

"No!" I exclaimed and sprung up, frantically collecting my purse and holding Oh - the stuffed alien boov - under my arm. The mention of a hospital made things worse. My hands trembled and I was sure Akram noticed how my face could look as white as bleached wax. "That's how I normally look. My friend says I look like a zombie but I think... I think I'm just homely, so, uh, it's actually just... who I am." I prattled on like a drunk squeaky toy, waving my hand aimlessly.

What the hell am I saying?!

Akram stood up, his face blank. He was probably reconsidering the decision of wanting to know me. I was acting like a bipolar mental case.

"What did I do?" Akram asked. His forehead creased, a worried look in his clear eyes.

"Nothing! You're perfect. I just... have to go now." I shoved my hair behind my ear, my eyes going back and forth. Kriss might return any minute.

I was scared and a bit lightheaded too, so I guess I wasn't lying when I'd told him I wasn't feeling well. There were droplets of sweat forming on my hairline. I had to leave. Now!

Akram dropped a couple of bills on the shiny tray, snatched his backpack and circled around the table to catch up with me while I rushed to get away. I didn't remember the way to the exit. In my thoughtless rush I stubbed my foot and almost tripped over a flower pot before Akram grabbed my arm and prevented my fall.

"This way." Akram anchored his arm around my elbow, leading me to the mosaic archway we'd come from.

"Thanks," I mumbled and my face brushed the top of his arm. His fresh fragrance calmed my nerves for a moment. Akram smelled like a manly blend of citrus and spice. It made me want to give in to his touch and lean my head on him. Of course, I resisted and pushed myself away. This wasn't a good time for whimsical stupidity.

"You're not homely."

"Hmm?" I let out a long breath as the elevator doors slid shut.

"You're not homely. Just thought you should know."

My chest tightened a little when Akram broke his grasp on my arm and took a step farther.

I folded my arms around my squishy Boov. "You don't have to say that just to please me."

"I'm not." Akram's tone was strong and confident, yet, I couldn't meet his eyes. I was making a fool out of myself again.

"Sorry. I- I'm not good with compliments." I stared at my feet, strangling the fuzzy toy and feeling the tremors of the moving elevator pulling us a long way down.

There was an awkward moment of silence again. I turned my head slowly to peek at Akram. His eyebrows were knitted together, his lips pursed. Something was bothering him. If my guess was correct, I was the reason for his aggravation.

A minute later, Akram's frown relaxed. He sighed, raking his hair with his fingers. "I don't know why you say these things, but you're much more than what you give yourself credit for."

Guilt devoured me to hear his trusting words. I pressed my lips, briefly squeezing my eyes shut. He didn't know I was much worse than he could imagine. Much worse than just a cowardly liar.

"I wish you weren't so nice to me, " I murmured against the head of my furry friend. It had already become my stress reliever.

Akram muttered something in what I guessed was Arabic and his hands sailed to brush the sides of his head. I just hoped he wasn't cursing me. "What did you just say?"

He sighed deeply. "I was praying for mercy."

I narrowed my eyes. "Why?"

"Because we all need it." Akram bared a tight smile before the elevator hit the ground floor and stopped. "You're not going to let me walk you home, are you?"

"I'm sorry. I can't." I shook my head. He clearly noticed my intended purpose. "I'll just take the sub."

"Please, let me walk with you. Only as far as you say." Akram stood on the sidewalk, holding his hands up in a plea, the same irresistible look in his eyes.

Contemplating the offer, I glanced at his face, biting the tip of my thumb. A fleeting thought of Akram following me to the shelter passed in my head and made me shudder.

"Don't worry. I'm not going to stalk you. I'm not that creepy." Akram nodded, giving me a reassuring smile.

He can read my mind? RIP Edward Cullen.

"Alright." I gave a faint smile in return and hurried to stride away from the building before I faced any more unwanted surprises.

"Hey, stop running." Akram strode to catch up with me. "I can tell you're not a good runner."

There was something in Akram's playful tone that made my speeding heart decelerate. He had this simple way of shifting my mood and making me feel at ease without even trying.

"Sorry. I'm sort of a stumblebum." I slowed down so that I wouldn't trip on air again and accepted his outstretched hand. His hand was now, literally, my lifeline.

So is his smile. And his voice. And his cinnamon eyes. And I should really stop being so needy before I turn him off forever.

"So, how was your summer?" I decided to be the one to start the conversation as we walked down the sidewalk towards Times Square.

Hoping he would keep his word and not follow me, the plan was to say 'goodbye' two blocks away from the shelter. Somehow, I knew he was trustworthy enough and it was probably the first time I felt this way about someone I barely knew. But he was Akram, not just someone. Being him was enough for me.

Akram sighed and gave me a sideways look, the corner of his eyes crinkled. "It was... the longest summer in my life. I really, really missed New York City."

"Really? I wouldn't miss it if I were you."

"Hey, it's not that bad."

"How can you say that? You were assaulted here a couple of months ago." I chewed the inside of my lip and winced.

It was my fault and still is. I'm so sorry.

"It could've happened anywhere." He shrugged.

I frowned, shaking my head. "No. I think it's more likely to happen here."

"I don't think we should blame a specific place. Criminals exist everywhere."

"Honestly, I blame this city for what it does to people. The pollution and the massive concrete and lack of oxygen kinda turned people into mutant freaks," I ranted, surprising myself.

I heard Akram chuckle. "I'm glad you survived mutation."

"Oh, Did I?" I tilted my head to glimpse an amused grin planted on his face.

"Won't you miss Central Park? The bright streets at night? The café? "

"Um! I guess I will. A little." My lips curved. I had some nice moments - memories with Akram too - in those places, so yeah. "So you're not going back again?"

"Not until winter break."

"Did you really come back for me?"

Akram stopped walking and turned to gape at me with a jocular glare. "I swear, I'm not going to answer that."

I blushed. "Sorry."

"No. I'm sorry," Akram said.

"What for?"

"Not being clear enough. "

"You are. It's just hard to... explain."

It actually goes right over my head.

"Don't worry. I understand." He nodded once, smiled and continued walking.

"Understand what?"

"That I still need to earn your trust."

His serious tone brought the birds of silence to hover around us. My head hung low as we sauntered quietly, getting closer and closer towards the abominable grey building in which I lived.

Akram had no idea at this moment that, despite all of my fears, I almost trusted him more than I trusted myself. But even though I knew I needed to tell him the truth and relieve myself of this burden, I couldn't gather the confidence to do it and risk losing him forever. It wasn't about trusting him any more. It was about keeping him around.

And that's how my selfishness won the battle against my conscience.

"That's my stop." I halted, turned slowly and lifted my gaze to him.

"You mean my stop."

"I'm sorry."

"You shouldn't be. It's your privacy."

"Thank you. For everything. "

"My pleasure." Akram cradled my hand, pulled it up and pecked it softly. Chills ran down my spine and my stomach gamboled for a brief moment. Reflexively, I retrieved my hand, letting it slip off the warmth of his touch. The warmth that seemed to spread to my face instead.

"I'll... see you tomorrow?" I asked.

Being skeptic again. I couldn't help it. I was tearing myself away from him when all I wanted was to stay. But I had to leave. My miserable life was waiting two streets away, taking up the hatchet against me.

"Every day."

With those two perfectly hopeful words, I found the strength to walk away.

***

Five minutes later, at Hope House shelter - which was a painfully ironic name - I learned that I had to return to my gloomy dorm room. Vivian was a no-show , but now there was a new roommate. Just like that, Tina was replaced by Lynda. A high school student who also ran away from home, said the night shift counselor downstairs when I'd been told that I had to go back to my room.

I tried to sound as friendly as I could when I stepped tentatively to greet her. "Hi. I'm Melody."

"Hey. I'm Lynda."

This time, my mind prodded me to be a Ms. Buttinsky before history repeated itself. I needed to shake off my awkwardness and do this. "Nice meeting you, Lynda. Um! Have you met our roommate? Vivian?"

"No. I just came here today. Why?" Lynda shrugged. She crossed her legs on her bed, Tina's bed, in gray sweats, faded black tank and thick rectangular glasses, raising cautious eyebrows at me.

"Ok. Well, I just had to tell you, uh, be careful. "

Lynda gawked, her chestnut eyes suspicious behind the lenses, a clear sign of wanting to stay as far away from me as possible, which was fine by me if she just listened.

"What's that about?" Lynda crossed her arms, twisting her lips into a wary half-grimace.

I fidgeted around trying to find a way to get my point across. I lowered my voice in an attempt to make it more convincing. "Please, stay away from Vivian. She's not a good influence. Don't listen to her. People get hurt when they do." I inhaled sharply and I realized I was shaking. " I may even get hurt if anyone knew that I told you this. Please, just don't let her get to you too."

Lynda's eyes Almost bulged out of their sockets and stuck to the glass of her spectacles. She stared at me for a long moment, seemingly speechless. I waited for my words to sink in, hoping for a reassuring response. She seemed like a nice girl and I didn't want to frighten her, but she had to know before it was too late. I couldn't bear the guilt of losing another Tina.

"Okay!" Lynda nodded fast, adjusting her glasses. "I'll keep that in mind."

I exhaled in relief. "Thank you!"

Now I had to shower one way or another. It had been a long day.

After a brief, paranoid-ish late shower, I went back to bed. Lynda was fast asleep which made my heart go out to her. She must've gone through a lot to end up here.

For the first time, I had a bed mate. Oh, the Boov. He was soft and cuddly in my arms, giving me a hint of the unprecedented comfort that his grantor poured over me every time we'd met. I didn't want to dwell on this night's hideous surprise. In fact, I couldn't even figure out if Krissy had seen me, or what the consequences were if she had. The one thing I was certain of, she would never pass the opportunity to blow the whistle on my activities. Vivian would know that Akram was back and that we went out together. Then What? I wasn't sure. But I was scared. Vivian was unpredictable. Moving out of this place was now an urgent necessity.

Bringing the furry Boov to my nose, I inhaled a coffee - scented breath and the bad thoughts diminished. This purple guy must've stayed in Akram's backpack for a while to smell so nice.

It was past ten o'clock now, the sound of Lynda's steady breathing continued, making me a teeny bit envious of how easily she dozed off. I didn't think that I could sleep just yet. My hand slid to grab my cellphone, checking out my messages. The phone had been on silent mode since I'd gone to work this morning.

My jaw dropped to find eight new text messages. Akram's name brought a grin to my face when it appeared on top of the list.

《 Hope ur feeling better now. Sleep well. I'll c u tomorrow. 》

The next row of texts belonged to "Ash the Panache."

《 Omg!!! He missed you didn't he?》

《Where did he take you????》

《 WHAT ARE YOU DOING RN????》

《Did he give u something for ur BD?》

《 Your phone is off, isn't it? :/ 》

《 ok. Tell me everything tomorrow!!!!》

Last but not least, there was one single text that made my heart shudder and sink into a pool of suffocating, overpowering terror.

It was short. The sender unknown. The number was private, which made it even more frightening. And as I read the words, my eyes grew wider than the ocean and my mouth dried like an autumn leaf.

If those words were true, I'd certainly be doomed.

****

Hello lovelies

Missed you so much. I hope you feel the same and find this update satisfying.

Please VOTE and COMMENT if you like this chapter. And consider TAGGING a friend who might like the story.

Questions:

* do you think Krissy noticed Melody?

*any thoughts about Lynda?

*what do you thing the scary Text was about?

*please help me edit by pointing out the errors .

Thank you so much for stopping by.. love you !♥♥

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

328K 4.5K 14
DISCLAIMER!! i wrote this in like 2020 and i hate it, but too lazy to redo it and people will hate me if i delete it SO don't judge me if you find it...
633 28 23
"You really do love annoying me, don't you?" I grin. He smiles. "Perhaps," He replies blissfully, wrapping his fingers around his coffee cup. ~ Abb...
868 18 26
WARNING: MENTION OF MURDER, SEX, MATURE LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE, CRIME, CHEATING, TALK OF SELF HARM, UNDERAGE DRINKING AND DRUG ABUSE. TROPES: FRIENDS TO...
400 6 30
Melody has had to grow up quickly. With the death of her father, her mother has become an alcoholic and her brother a wandering stray that only comes...