Buying Love

By tufano79

Edward Masen, twenty-eight, is the most popular escort working for Esme Platt at Buying Love, Inc. He's the b... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter 92
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Epilogue

Chapter Sixty-Five

788 43 5
By tufano79

Okay, so we're going to embark on a journey. A darker journey, one that will be around a different kind of Edward, a snarky, bossy Bella and a new Esme. It will be a drabble-ish type fic. The chapters will be between 1000 to 2000 words. Updates will come on Mondays and Fridays with teasers on Tuesdays and Saturdays on my blog. The link for the blog will be on my profile. The story is planned, but not pre-written.

Chapter Sixty-Five

EPOV

"Bella, please!" I sobbed, pressing my hands harder on her chest, trying to stop the bleeding. Chief Black ran in with Emmett, holding a med kit. "She just passed out. We have to save her!" Her pale skin was turning a sickly grey. She was losing too much blood.

"Son, you need to step back," Chief Black said softly. "We'll take care of your girl." He slid his hand under my hand and kept the pressure on it while Emmett cut open Bella's shirt. I fell back, leaning against the cot my mom was resting on, tears running down my cheeks as my reason for living lay bleeding out on the floor of this God-forsaken cabin.

"My sweet boy, don't cry," Mom whispered, her fingers running through my hair. "She is an angel and will be alright."

"How do you know?" I asked, turning to look at her. "Mom, she saved me. Saved us."

"That's why she'll be okay," Mom said, cupping my cheek. Her eyes were bright and clear; just like I'd remembered as a child before my father's death. "It's always darkest before dawn, my sweet child. I'm sorry that I was gone for so long."

"Mom?" I questioned, blinking at her. She looked like the woman that I remembered growing up. She smiled crookedly, reaching for me and enveloping me into an awkward hug. I clung to her, apologizing for my stupidity. She didn't say anything, just held me as I lost it all.

"Edward, we've got to go," Carlisle said. I turned and looked up at him. Behind him, Sam and Agent Dean were standing with a gurney chair for my mom. "Bella needs immediate surgery. We're driving back to the station and then taking the helicopter to Port Angeles."

I got up from the floor and helped my mom into the gurney chair. She looked at me, gripping my hand as we walked back through the thick underbrush to the waiting SUVs. Rose was in the ambulance with Bella as the paramedics locked her into place. "Go with her, Edward," Mom said, pushing me toward the ambulance. "I'll be fine with ..."

"No, I'm staying with you," I said stubbornly.

"Still so stubborn, just like your father," Mom chuckled. "Are we going to Port Angeles, too?" She looked at Agent Dean and Carlisle.

"We should get you checked out, too, Mrs. Masen," Carlisle said softly. "But, Agent Dean, Agent Williamson and Detective McCarty need to interrogate Esme, after she's received medical attention."

"Then, we'll be together soon, Edward. I'm certain that this nice man – what's your name?" she asked Carlisle.

"Carlisle Cullen," Carlisle replied, awkwardly shaking my mom's hand.

"Anyway, I'm certain that Carlisle can get me to Port Angeles," Mom smiled. Carlisle nodded, giving her a wink.

I kissed her cheek and ran to the ambulance. Rose gave me a snide look, but softened when she saw the blood on my clothes. She got up, giving me room to sit next to Bella. She was still deathly pale. Her mouth was concealed by a tube inside her mouth and her clothes were torn open. Her bruised and battered body was covered by a sheet, but I could see blood seeping through the thin white fabric. The doors closed to the ambulance and we rode down the mountain, to the curving highway below. Carefully but swiftly, we arrived at the police department.

"Only one can go with us in the helicopter," said the paramedic. "Which one?"

"Go, Edward," Rose said. "I need to call her father. Besides, I don't want another ride in an overgrown eggbeater." She hugged me and I got out of the ambulance. Scrambling into the medivac helicopter, we took off and flew for twenty minutes to Port Angeles, landing behind the Olympic Medical Center. A set of doctors and nurses were waiting for us, swooping in and taking Bella from the helicopter. I followed them as quickly as I could, hearing words that my heart lurch and that I didn't understand. The only thing I knew was that it was bad. Very, very bad.

Pneumothorax.

Re-inflate the lung.

Pulmonary distress.

Aortic dissection.

Blood loss.

Surgery.

Spinal injury.

Inside of the hospital, one of the doctors approached me. She was petite, but fierce. "Are you next of kin for Isabella?"

"Not really," I responded. "We're dating ..."

"As far as we're concerned, you're her husband," the doctor said, giving me a knowing look. I nodded, catching up with her assumption. "Her condition is extremely critical. We have to run some tests, but from the paramedics' description, the bullet pierced her lung and deflated it. In addition to that, we are fearful that it may be close to her heart, namely her aorta. We need to perform surgery to remove the bullet and assess her injuries. We are also concerned that the bullet went through her body, landing near her spinal cord, causing paralysis. She's not showing any response to anything below her waist. We ran some preliminary, rudimentary tests and there's no indication that the signals from her feet and legs are reaching her brain."

"Oh, God," I whispered.

"Do you give us permission to perform the surgery?" she asked.

"Do anything you have to do to make her better," I pleaded. "I can't lose her. I can't."

"We will do everything in our power," she said, hugging me briefly. "You will need to fill out some intake forms. Just go through these doors. Ellie, our charge nurse, will talk you through them." I nodded stiffly, walking the opposite direction as the doctor. Ellie was an older woman, plump and sweet. She handed me a stack of forms and I filled them out as best I could, leaving just the insurance information blank since I didn't have access to it. Rose, however, did have the information on her phone and was about ten minutes away with Carlisle and my mom, according to a phone call that Ellie received from the reception desk.

Ellie walked back with a pair of scrubs and a pair of shoes. "Here, son. You should get out of those soiled clothes. You can use a shower in the doctor's lounge," she said kindly.

"I can't really shower. I have some pretty significant scarring and injuries on my back," I whispered. "I have a lot of stitches back there. My doctor said I can't get them wet."

Ellie pursed her lips. "Good thing I'm a nurse. I'll fix you right up. After you shower," she quipped. "You look shattered and a warm shower will help calm your nerves."

"Okay. Thank you," I said, giving her a nervous, but thankful smile. She led me into the doctor's lounge. I stripped out of my clothes, stepping underneath the hot spray. I hissed as the water hit my back, but soon felt my body relax. I scrubbed my body and washed my hair, feeling human and more centered. Dressing in the scrubs, I poked my head out of the doctor's lounge. Ellie came inside with her supplies and attended to my injuries.

"What happened?" she asked, working quickly. She used a combination of stitches and surgical glue to help minimize the scarring.

"It's a long story," I sighed. "But, I was essentially held against my will and tortured for a long, long time by a woman who ... " I blew out a breath. "I was a human trafficking victim. Esme Platt, she essentially owned me and used me and my mother's illness. If I didn't abide by her rules and do what I was told, this was the result. Either by her hand or by the hands of her more evil clients."

"Wait a minute! I saw that story on the news," Ellie breathed. "It's a huge story, both nationally and locally. I'm so sorry." She continued to fix my stitches. "And the woman you were with, the one that's in surgery, she's your wife?"

I nodded, my stomach churning. Your fault, Edward. Bella is in here because it's your fault. "We met through the escort service," I said, giving her a grimace. My voice cracked and tears brimmed my eyes. "She truly saw me and not the façade I wore. She's more than that. She's everything. And for some strange reason, she loves me. Though, after today, I wouldn't be surprised if she hated me. I'm the reason she's in here."

"It's not your fault," Ellie said sternly, patting my shoulder. "Stand up. I want to wrap you." I nodded and she wrapped my body in gauze, taping it to my torso. I pulled on the scrub top, shivering since I was still so cold. Ellie walked in front of me, looking at me over her glasses. "She saw something in you that drew her in. I don't know you from Adam, but I can sense that you have a good heart, strong soul. She loves you for you. Just like you love her because she's her. You know?" Ellie handed me a pair of socks. "I'm going to wrestle up a hoodie or something for you. You're still shivering. It gets cold in here. As soon as I know something about your wife, I'll come find you." Ellie walked out of the lounge, giving me a few moments to gather my thoughts.

I tugged on the socks, pulling my knees up to my chest. Resting my chin on them, I let the tears fall. "Please don't take her away," I whispered. "Neither of them." With a sigh, I heaved my body off the bench in the lounge and walked into the waiting room. Carlisle, Rose and my mom were waiting for me. My mom was in some fresh clothes and was standing with Carlisle's assistance. Jutting out my chin, I walked over to my family to weather this new storm.

But, I wasn't alone.

Never again, would I be alone.

A/N: Edward's made some huge strides. Now, with Elizabeth, did she truly have Alzheimer's? Or was it the shock of losing her husband? We'll address that, probably in the next chapter. Also, what will happen to Bella?

This is where I put the change to the story, where I deviated from the original storyline I'd planned. Edward was supposed to be shot, but I figured I'd change it. Bella was there for him, being his rock. Now, it's his turn to be there for him. Both of them healing together.

And whatever will happen to Esme?

Leave me some!

7

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

282K 7K 57
~ REGULAR UPDATES ~ Y/n Swan has always had trouble controlling her anger so much so she often made stupid reckless decisions that resulted in her of...
100K 2.4K 30
Edward Cullen is the heir-apparent to the most infamous crime families in Chicago. He was notorious for his time with his enemies, his many dates and...
30.5K 552 20
Set in Eclipse Isla Rose Swan is Bella's twin sister, their fraternal twins. Isla decides it is time to go to visit Bella and dad. When she gets the...
62.5M 2.5K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...