The Future Before Me

By writesage

"This is why I love you." He smiled, his eyes staring down at me. I felt my cheeks heat up. "I thou... More

- 01 -
-02-
-04-
-05-
- 06 -
- 07 -
- 08 -
-09-

-03-

854 31 8
By writesage

CHAPTER THREE

The fun didn't last long.

I killed the engine. Grabbing my phone and side bag I got out.

Taking my key out from my back pocket, I stepped up to my door. Just when I was about to unlock it, the door opened revealing my dad with his lips pressed into a straight line and his eyebrows pulled together. I felt my throat instantly dry and my heart pound in my chest as I stepped in, closing the door behind me. I slipped out of my flats and looked up.

I gulped knowing something was going to go down when I saw my sister sitting on the stairs and my mom standing by the railing. Deciding to keep my head down I began to head to the stairs only to be stopped.

"Harmony," my dad called, "want to explain where you were?"

I placed my foot down and slowly turned to face him. "I was with my friends at Wonderland. It's the second last day before school starts so we decided to spend time together," I said in a monotone voice. My head was bent down and my eyes stared down at my bare feet.

A hand grabbed my chin and pushed it up. I immediately smacked his hand away. I glared at him as he spoke, "So you think you can head out without my permission now don't you? Since you're going to grade 12, you think you can do anything you want?"

I stepped away from him, my hand holding onto my neck, my eyes wide in pain. "I asked mom and she said-"

"I don't care what she says!" he screamed as he raised his hand. Like an idiot I stood there with my head slightly up and my cheeks stained with tears. I couldn't do anything except to listen to his harsh words. "Since you're in high school you think you can do anything? You're the reason why I'm sick and watch when the day comes and I will die because of you."

My eyes were locked on my feet as I felt the tears streaming down. The anger from my dad was like fire and I felt fear in me rising as I stepped back. I kept my lips pressed together, but I still tasted the salt in my tears. After a few seconds of glaring, he punched the wall beside my head before marching up the stairs. He disappeared behind his room door, slamming it behind him.

I whimpered as my mom and sister helped me up. My sister's eyes full of anger as she cursed at him under her breath and making threats about kicking him out of here. Even though she was four years younger than me, she had the bravery to stand up against my dad that I didn't have. Maybe that's why he picked on me the most rather than Rowena. I reacted to his harsh comments in a miserable way whereas Rowe spat back insults.

"Here you go sweetie." Ma carefully helped me onto the sofa and Rowe sat in front of me.

Ma gave me a tissue which I used to wipe my tears and blow my nose. The silence was deafening and it was worse than my dad's words. It felt as if everything and everyone was mocking me which I couldn't handle. I stood up.

"Where are you going?" Rowe asked as I placed the ice pack on the kitchen table.

"I'll be on the roof. I want to be alone right now," I mumbled as I made my way down the hallway and up the stairs slowly.

Closing my room door, I stripped down and changed into my sweats and tank top. I couldn't stand the weight of my hair up so I left it out.

I grabbed my dark grey blanket from my comfy bean bag couch and wrapped it around me. I walked over to my window and quickly got onto the table in front of it. I pulled the net of the window off and threw it on my bed before pushing the glass of my window open.

The cool breeze hit my face and I sighed in reply as I crawled out of my window. Sitting on the roof of my house wasn't scary as it seemed to be. When I was about ten years old I had read a book that had the protagonist sitting on his roof whenever he felt emotional. Ever since then I came and sat on the roof with my blanket wrapped around me.

Closing my eyes felt like a nightmare with the scenes repeating itself, so I kept them wide open. I felt myself warming up when I heard a knock. Turning my head, I let out the breath I was holding and forced a smile.

Standing behind my open window was Jasper in black pyjama pants and a black v-neck. His hair was tousled and his glasses were perched on his nose awkwardly as he smiled back.

"May I join you?" he asked, his body leaning against the frame of my window.

I nodded without uttering a word and watched him climb onto my table before crawling out. As he approached me I looked away, wiping the tear stains from my cheek. I unwrapped myself from the blanket and threw it over both of our legs.

We sat in silence, staring up at the stars. After a few minutes, I couldn't handle the silence so I turned my head to face Jasper.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, interrupting him from his thoughts.

Jasper continued to watch the stars as he replied with a shrug. "Honestly, I have no idea. I couldn't sleep so I decided to come out and walk around, but I stopped when I saw you on the roof. I couldn't see properly since it was dark, but something told me you were upset so I came over after telling my mom."

I bit my lip and averted my eyes from him when he turned his head to look at me. Instead I kept them locked with the leaves on the tree.

"My mom let you in?" I asked and got a nod for an answer, so I continued. "You didn't have to come you know, but at the same time I'm grateful that you did. You've known me for what? Four days? Five? And look at you, trusting me enough to sit next to me in the middle of the night and let me talk to you."

Jasper didn't reply, instead he watched me as I continued. "This is the thing about humans. There are a lot of humans out in the world and we'll not meet every single one of them, but we do know that there is another person just like us. It's funny how some people are so discriminative towards others because of their race and culture, but they do not understand that even if a person is the same race as you, their personality may be different."

I looked over at Jasper who smiled softly and nodded for me to continue.

I sighed. "Sometimes I just wish that people knew that no matter what you do to change a person it won't work hundred percent. For an example... my dad," I stated, "he has an ego the size of the entire world. He's been raised with three sisters and two brothers; who are older than him, but the way his mind was raised made him believe that he was superior than others. This type of behaviour is something that is developed since he was young and now he's a 50 year old man."

"What are you trying to say about this?"

"I'm trying to say that once someone is grown it is hard to grab the main attitude from them and throw it away because it is now part of their personality. My family members always tell me to go talk to him and try to get him out of it, but they don't understand that it is his personality and no person could change that."

Jasper shook his head as he turned his body toward me. "You wouldn't know that. Your dad may be complicated, but there is always a way of changing someone."

This time it was my turn to shake my head. "Let me rephrase what I meant. There may be a possible way to change a person, but when the person is capable of understanding the community, everything they do and say is part of their personality. Like for an example, I am a rebellious child and you are a sweet, understanding child. One day I decide to do something bad – as in what a 10 year old will do – and when I get caught, my parents will sit me down and tell me that this is the bad pathway. I will listen to every word they say, but I won't take it to heart at all."

Jasper nodded slowly. "And what about me?"

"If you were to do the same thing and got told that this is the bad way, you'll realize what you've done is a mistake and will be careful with everything you do. This adds to your personality and what I've done adds to mine. Maybe one day I do change, but the rebellious attitude will never leave and I will make a mistake once again."

As soon as I was done speaking I looked at Jasper who had his head turned away from me. "I do get it now and I believe that what you're saying connects back to the problem that happened?"

I nodded. "My dad knows my personality and how I'm more softer and sensitive than my sister, but he still tends to be hurtful. I'm not saying that all of his advices are bad because some are right and I try to follow them, but for those stupidest comments he makes gets me angry. I can't do anything about it. It's not something I'm going to hide from anyone cause I know a lot of kids have misunderstandings with their parents. I've spoken to my dad every time we had a fight and he says he understands, but guess what? It happens all over again."

"I understand," he replied with a small smile, running his hand through his hair.

I let out a breath and leaned back on my hands to look at the sky. "You should go back before it gets too late."

Jasper chuckled softly. "I'll see you tomorrow then."

I nodded and watched him go back to my window, but he turned back around and said, "You know I'm just right next door if you want to clear your mind."

"Thank you."

He waved to me one last time before heading out of my room. I looked back up at the stars with a tiny smile. 

_____

A/N: Hi there loves! This chapter is dedicated to @thereader_16 for being an awesome friend in real life. Hayden is sort of based off of her in a way like her personality wise and her love for books.

This chapter is longer than I expected it to be actually! And for those Canadians, I'm from Canada as well!

So tell me what your favourite part was or like your favourite line from this chapter. I'd love some feedback so hit me with them, but don't be harsh.

Favourite song of the day: Wet by It's All in Vain

Hopefully you like liked this chapter! Leave a comment about what you think :)

Love you guys,

Sage

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 30.8K 57
He's smirking down at me as he says, "Um, you're in my seat." I laugh and say, "You realize that is the most cliche thing you could possibly say?" ...
274K 11.5K 49
" But the dare is so easy, all you gotta do is pass the chocolate." " Through a kiss! " College life is already hard but Cale's friends had decided t...
252K 10.7K 54
Sick of her toxic relationship and her empty life in her hometown, Riley decides to take a chance in the city. A new beginning, a new life. A new lov...
234K 13.7K 38
"So, let me get this straight. You stomped all over his paperwork?" She started. "Not intentionally, but yes," I confirmed it. "Threw a drink in hi...