When I return - A Red Queen AU

By thatoldbanana

Just when Mare and Cal think that they just about have the perfect life, Cal is sent to war to fight the neve... More

Alternate universe setting
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
-Special fanfic-
-Special Fanfic 2-
[A/N] So King's Cage was released almost a week ago...

Chapter 1

2K 36 21
By thatoldbanana

I rock in my seat anxiously, awaiting my turn in the Queenstrial, a competition where every High house sends in their eldest daughters to fight for the hand of either of the Princes. But I know better: It's a battle for Strength and Power, the same quote we said just a day ago, when a brutal Red terrorist group, proud enough to name themselves the 'Scarlet Guard', attacked West Archeon.

My name is called by the ring master and I step into the Arena. He is a silence from the House of Arven (signified by the white stripes marked on his clothes), ensuring that none of the girls starts attacking each other for a chance on the throne. I feel my shoe crunch against the white sand under my feet as I walk to the centre of the Arena. I feel the weight of everyone's stares and I hear my family's roar behind me. I look up to the Royal observatory to see Prince Maven sitting on his father's right while Cal sits on his left.

I had met Cal the other day and was enchanted by his kindness when I saw him generously give money to the Lower Houses, the Houses that could not compete with the stronger houses and was thus deemed insignificant to our society. How I would love to win his hand in marriage. Then, the sudden fear of embarrassing myself in front of the Royal Family kicks me in the gut and I silently wince at the thought.

"Mare, House of Barrows."

The crowd hushes at the sound of my father's voice. He is the General of the Iron Legion, a veteran that has earned respect from all silvers by leading his troops to victory against invading Lakelanders without losing a single soldier. His title has put a heavy weight on my shoulders, pressuring me and my siblings to do the same, not that any of us could do the same.

"Electro."

I feel the lightning rush to my fingertips and I call upon a lightning storm from the clear dark sky. The clouds thunder and lightning flashes above, sending the crowds into awe.

My family has been known to have the most abilities: I am an Electro, a human battery. My elder brother Shade is a Jumper, with the ability to teleport at will. Gisa is a Bender of Time, allowing her to slow down or speed up time. She probably already went to the future to skip the previous trials to watch mine. Bree is a Constructor that allows him to create any object that he desires and Tramy is a Spacer, allowing him to manipulate the gravity around him while Father is a Whisper and Mom is a Shadow. We are well known amongst the silvers for our diversity and range of abilities, powers that no one has seen before.

Looking into the heavens, I point at the ground a few feet away from me and lightning strikes down obediently, letting it leave a burnt patch of sand on the ground. The crowds clap, impressed by my ability that demonstrates Strength and Power. But I'm not finished. I was just warming up, letting the crowd and the Royal Family see a glimpse of my power. With the electricity in my hands, I strike my lightning at a nearby tree, letting the people watch as it appears in a bundle of ashes within seconds. I smile at my deed. That felt good. Then, I suck all the electricity out from all the electronics in the Arena, sending the whole crowd into darkness as the lights flicker off. And without any hesitation, I release all of the power into the sky, creating a beautiful light show in the clouds above. The Arena remains silent and only after I bow do they applause.

"That is enough for today." The King's voice booms across the Arena. Everyone is thrown into confusion: Did the King call off the rest of the Queenstrial? "We have all made a unanimous decision, and we shall deliver the news tomorrow morning. Thank you." We all obey, all quickly exit the Arena. As my family and I leave, I can't help but grin to myself. 󠄀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.2K 954 35
A FEATURED @FANTASY STORY ❝NO ONE IS BORN EVIL, JUST LIKE NO ONE IS BORN ALONE. THEY BECOME THAT WAY THROUGH CHOICE AND CIRCUMSTANCE. I'M SO AFRAID O...
35.6K 1K 40
Red Queen Fanfiction Takes place after King's Cage, my version of War Storm "Then we take them over," I say hesitating before finishing my thought...
2.9K 96 8
Welcome back! This holiday season, Nat takes a trip back to the Barrows' domesticated life out on Long Island at their suburban house. Mare and Cal a...
34.3K 1.1K 49
A dark, bitter laugh escapes my throat. Lover. As if Maven and I have ever approached love. Loneliness. Desperation. Sorrow. A void filled with...