The Nobodies * Original Versi...

By AmberLeeH13

{Completed} Sylvie lives in the woods. She takes care of a pack of wolves and they protect her. that's the de... More

Preface *Edited
Chapter One *Edited
Chapter Two *Edited
Chapter Three *Edited
Chapter Four *Edited
Chapter Five *Edited
Chapter Seven *Edited
Chapter Eight *Edited
Chapter Nine {Seth's POV} *Edited
Chapter Ten *Edited
Chapter Eleven *Edited
Chapter Twelve *Edited
Chapter Thirteen. *Edited
Chapter Fourteen *Edited
Chapter Fifteen {Seth POV} *Edited
Chapter Sixteen *Edited
Chapter Seventeen *Edited
Chapter Eighteen *Edited
Chapter Nineteen {Seth's POV} *Edited
Chapter Twenty *Edited
Chapter Twenty-One *Edited
Chapter Twenty-Two {Seth's POV} *Edited
Epilogue *Edited

Chapter Six *Edited

17K 875 81
By AmberLeeH13

  © Amber Kalkes 2014

*Song Of The Chapter: "All I Need" By Radiohead

Newman---------}

Chapter Six: I Know What Boys Like…Okay Maybe I Have No Clue.  

Seth and I were exiting my house when he stopped walking to stare at my truck. His face was incredulous at best. One perfect brow raised, arms crossed on his broad hard chest, lips in a thin line, questioning and borderline amused green eyes regarding the object before them.

“What?” I sighed, feeling my shoulders sag in annoyance.

“You drive this?”

I straightened my back. “Don’t knock, Penny. She is a champion among vehicles.”

“Penny?”

“Yeah.” I shrugged, shuffling my feet. “She’s like a penny. No body wants her but she brings me luck because I found her. Besides the rust is the color of copper.”

Seth chuckled shaking his head. “You really are adorable you know that?”

I felt heat rushing to my cheeks.

“Come on.” He sighed yanking open Penny’s passenger side door. “Let’s get this ridiculous meeting over and done.”

I smiled and climbed into the driver’s seat. Seth suddenly started referring to the semi-date as a “meeting”. I think it made him feel better. You know who would want his or her soul mate going on a date with someone else? Well, surely not Seth. Nope, he was pretty possessive but cared enough to give me the option of a male friend. Not that I needed one really. It was more about proving a point.

As Penny roared to life I saw Seth tense at her power. Yeah, he was surprised. Good, served him right for doubting my baby. The song “Rebel, Rebel” by David Bowie came on the radio, yes I listen to the classics, and I began doing my toned down version of my car dancing. I even began singing along, but quietly. I certainly did not want to scare Seth off with my impromptu American Idol audition. Nah, he had more embarrassing habits of mine to suffer through first.

I risked a glance over at Seth as I was doing this slow rolling over my shoulders, which was a key move of my car dances to see him smiling at me. His eyes were soft as they looked at me and that was when I saw it, adoration. It was clear in his expression. Sure, so was amusement and a glimmer of lust but it was the love there that caught my attention. Immediately I looked back to the road with a small smile on my face. Did he already care about me that much?

“What are you thinking?” he asked me out of the blue.

I shrugged, “About how David Bowie and Joan Jett would have had the best looking baby this side of the Mason Dixon.”

Seth chuckled and I felt my stomach twirl. God, I loved his laugh. It was deep and sexy. Like black velvet on the eardrums.

“Okay, I don’t buy that even If I do agree.”  He smirked.

I glanced at him for a second. “I was thinking about how the most expressive part of you is your eyes. I mean you can see everything in them.”

“Really, now?” he was clearly amused. “Now that I do buy.”

“Good because that was honestly what I was thinking.”

He chuckled again and I squeezed my legs together for some reason. Everything about Seth just screamed sex. Yet, I was completely inexperienced I was not ignorant to the sexual appeal of Seth. Honestly, everything about him said he was a prime piece of man. All those Romance novels did not go to waste!

And he is all ours. My brain whispered in awe.

Damn right he is.

“By the way…” I started gauging his reaction. “How did you heal so fast from the bear? I mean you were about to pass out one minute and then like ten minutes later it’s like it didn’t happen.”

Seth just shrugged and grinned. “That’s the best part about being a Lycanthrope. I can heal super fast. It’s the wolf’s way of protecting itself. It needs my human body to be healthy for it to be able to flourish. It’s survival.”

“And this wolf is what? Like another personality?” I ventured.

Seth swayed is head considering my theory. “Sort of. It’s kind of like a more feral part of my brain in a way. It tells me what I should or shouldn’t do but it’s way more present in my mind. Like I can visually see my wolf self in my mind and can have a conversation with him. He’s a very aggressive kind of guy.”

I whistled lowly. When Seth gave me an odd look I explained.

“This is the most I have ever heard you talk.” I grinned.

He smiled back. “Guess you make me chatty.”

When we finally entered town I started to feel a little disappointed. I like having this time with Seth. He was talkative and charming. Before he was broody and intense. This Seth I could roll with in conversation without feeling like an emotionally stunted child. Not that I wasn’t I just don’t like feeling that way.

I parked Penny by Annie’s flower shop again. I figured I could pick that weeks flower delivery while I was down. Usually Annie brought them up herself every Monday. But it was Friday and I figured why not just get them now.  Anyway, Seth immediately tensed as soon as I was parked and I turned to look at him with what could be read as concern etching my face.

“Seth, we can go back.” I offered suddenly feeling very guilty.

He shook his beautiful head. “You wanted this and as your mate I must do as you need. I want you to be happy, Sylvie, and if friends, though a male one, makes you happy then I can suck it up for you.”

I smiled fondly at his kindness.

“But don’t make this a regular thing, okay?” he added.

That made me giggle at his grumpy attitude. I kind of liked a jealous Seth. A jealous Seth is a caring Seth and I’m just too selfish to not enjoy something as entertaining as that.

“So where will you be, Mr. Jealous pants?” I said still giggling lightly.

He smiled fondly but his answer was evasive. “Around.”

I shrugged. “Whatever. It should only be for an hour at the most anyway.”

He let out a slow breath in what looked like relief. “Good, I didn’t know I would have been able to handle you gone for much longer then that. Even if you are friends, a male is a male and my wolf is trying really hard to come out and rip his throat out.”

I blinked at the violent image. “Well then I’ll try to make It as short as possible.”

Seth’s smile was small. “Good choice.”

So with that bit of encouragement I exited my bouncing rusty baby girl, Penny. Seth did the same and I glanced at him to see a sad longing on his face as he gazed back at me. The feeling of guilt and sadness hit me all too suddenly causing me to bit my lip, in nerves. Wow, I guess I really am a bitch.

“Don’t feel to bad about it, sweetheart.” Seth said with a sad smile.

Sweetheart! He called me sweetheart! Honestly I felt like I just won the lottery. Which was on a whole other level of pathetic. A male had never called me by a pet name before let alone a man who is my soul mate. Then I got distracted trying to figure out how old Seth is when his voice broke into my thoughts.

“Sylvie, you don’t want to be late.”

I shook off my thoughts and muttered. “First he doesn’t want me to go. Now, he can’t wait to get rid of me.”

Seth’s chuckles followed me as I began walking away from Penny and him. Tegan’s Tags was only about a block away so it only took about five minutes at most before the aqua colored store came into view. By the large display window stood Ethan. His blonde hair was still messy in a boyish way that was charming. He was dressed in a blue and white plaid button up and dark yet faded blue jeans. He looked so nervous standing there I almost laughed out loud at the adorableness.

Apparently I made some kind of noise because his chocolate eyes swept to mine in a moment and a wide smile spread across his face. Then his eyes traveled down my outfit and darkened slightly. Normally I would be ecstatic that someone would see me in that way but it kind of just made me sick to my stomach. I figured it was because he wasn’t Seth. Looking him over again I came to the conculsion quickly that yes, that was the problem.

“Hey, Sylvie.” He called while waving and half jogging towards me.

I forced a smile. “Hey there, Ethan.”

“Wow.” He grinned looking me over again. “You look great.”

“Thanks. Uh, you do too.”

Ethan’s grin turned into a smirk. “Don’t spoil me with the compliments now.”

“Oh, I won’t.” I said with an eye roll. “So where to?”

“Well I think we should eat. Personally I’m starved and you look famished.”

I looked down at myself and frowned. “Do I?”

“It was a joke, Sylvie.” Ethan chuckled, but it wasn’t as low as Seth’s. “Come on let’s go get some food.”

I nodded and then froze when Ethan grabbed my hand. His hand was comfortable but again, it wasn’t exciting. It felt almost like an empty gesture. Like it wasn’t even happening because I had felt what a Seth’s hand felt like on my skin. Like fire.

When we reached the small diner I squirmed my hand from Ethan’s as quickly as I could. He gave me a questioning look but didn’t say anything. A peppy waitress about Ethan’s age greeted us at a podium. Her smile faltered a bit when she saw me with Ethan but she fixed it quickly. The name on her nametag said her name was Brittney.

“Hello, I’m Brittney, how many today?” she chirped, oh good so the nametag didn't lie.

“Two.” Ethan smiled holding up two fingers. “Booth, please.”

Brittney gave another fake smile and lead up into the seating area. I noticed with amusement that she seemed to be overly swaying her hips. Her thick blonde hair, which was tied back in ponytail, that swayed when she walked like a pendulum in a grandfather clock. Back and forth and back and forth. I was almost hypnotized. Finally we stopped at a green-seated booth with a large shiny rectangular table.

“This okay?” she asked Ethan, not acknowledging me.

Ethan nodded. “Perfect. Thanks Brittney.”

Her blue eyes lit up when Ethan said her name. It was almost hilarious to watch then I wondered if I looked as foolish around Seth? Did I look that desperate for his attention? God, I hoped not. I could feel my face burning at the thought as I slid into the seat across from Ethan.

Ethan smiled at me like an eager puppy for a long minute before turning to his menu. His brows were furrowed as he read and I smiled at the cuteness on his face. Seth or no Seth I had to admit, Ethan was a cutie.

“So what do you want?”

I glanced at the menu then shrugged. ”I feel an urge to devour the unborn offspring of animals related to a long forgotten dinosaur.”

Ethan laughed at that. “You could have just said some scrambled eggs.”

I shrugged smiling. “Yes but what would be the fun in that?”

Ethan shook his head with a smile on his face as he turned back to the menu. My eyes began scanning the crowd in the diner nervously. My mind began wandering to the question of where Seth was. He said he’d be “Around” but I had no idea what the hell that meant. Taking from my limited knowledge I doubted he wouldn’t be lurking around somewhere close by. My god-like soul mate was apparently a bit of a stalker.

“You seem deep in thought.” Ethan commented.

Snapping my attention to him I chewed on my thumbnail. “Nah. Just looking around. You know people don’t like me around here.”

He nodded slowly. “Yeah, but I don’t get why. You seem pretty harmless to me.”

“Oh yeah?” I smiled wickedly. “You’d be surprised.”

He cocked an eyebrow but I could barely see it since it shot up into his hair.

“Though I’ll admit your full of surprises I doubt you’d hurt a fly.”

“Believe what you will, Ethan Glenn, but I don’t agree nor disagree with you statement.” I added a dismissive wave for emphasis.

“Hey Glenn!” someone shouted and I turned towards the sound to see Newman and his two goons making their way towards us.

I rolled my eyes to cover the fear brewing in my stomach. I was so dead. First of all Newman, the burly lowlife, hated me. His Adonis like goons were no exception and I was pretty sure if it came down to it Ethan wouldn’t betray his friends for little old me. Not that expected anything less. Ethan was sweet but like most people he wasn’t above peer pressure. Again, not that I blamed him.

“Whoa!” Newman said with wide brown eyes as they scanned me. “The freak can clean up real nice. Maybe, I should have fucked you instead, huh, darling?”

“Your not my type.” I grumbled.

Newman laughed but it was edgy. “Oh, baby, I'm sure I could have you purring for me in no time."

I glared at Ethan who was looking between us looking completely lost. So much for him turning into any knight in shining armor. Oh well, I mentally sighed; I guess I’d have to get myself out of this one.

Unfortunately that was made more difficult when Newman and his friends began sliding into the booth with us. Newman sat beside me, throwing his arm over my shoulder while his other two pals sat beside Ethan. Now I was really glaring at Ethan. I would have literally paid a sniper to shoot me right then.

“So, sweet cheeks.” Newman began. “What has you out and about with our Ethan?”

“None of your business.”  I snapped.

Newman made an tsk noise and leaned closer to me. “That’s where you are very much wrong, sweet cheeks, you see Its my job to know everything. Like, for example, I know where you live. I know your middle name. I even know your birthdate. I know because I have to know it.”

“And why would that be?” I said, trying to still sound bitchy but probably failing.

“Because, my little squirrel, I own this town.”

I snorted. “How impressive, Newman, really.”

“I suggest you keep your tongue behind your teeth, Bitch.” The blonde haired blue-eyed asshole spat at me. “You don’t know who your speaking to.”

“Then enlighten me, you Nazi looking fuck.” I spat back.

He looked shocked for a second before his scowl came back. The brown haired blue-eyed guy actually laughed a little which kind of surprised me. He always seemed so eternally bored.

Newman tapped my shoulder drawing my attention back to him. “His name is David,” he said pointing to the one I just snapped at. “And the other one is Bryce.”

“Charmed.” I said with a sickly sweet smile.

“And your Sylvie Marie Marcum.” Newman informed me. “Daughter of Rose Anne Marcum and Granddaughter of Lorelei Hannah Marcum. You also own the only bit of land that I don’t. Tell me, how are the wolves in those parts?”

“Fine.” I gritted out.

Newman’s bushy eyebrow quirked up. “Oh really? I heard they were having some pack issues. Something about a missing Beta and a crazy Alpha but that’s just rumors, right boys?”

They all murmured in agreement. I looked at Ethan who seemed a bit shell shocked about something Newman said. Of course I couldn’t pin point it because Newman just couldn’t shut up for five fucking seconds.

“Also, I heard---“

I cut Newman off. “You heard? You heard? What are you fucking gossiping old woman? How about you just spit out whatever the fuck your point is because I don’t have time for your bullshit!”

Newman’s arm tensed on my shoulder in rage. He was clearly pissed but I did hear Bryce’s choked laughter from across the table. Apparently he found me amusing.

“Watch yourself, little girl, or I may do something you’ll regret.” Newman warned in a low and deadly voice. “David was right. You have no clue who you’re speaking to.”

“Yeah but I do.” A deep soothing voice said from beside the booth.

I looked up to see a very pissed looking Seth glaring at Newman. And oh my lord was he delicious. He had apparently changed his clothes. He was wearing a warm looking white long sleeved shirt, pushed up to his elbows, jeans that hung low on his hips, and brown boots. His hair was still messy but it only made him look better. If the giant oaf beside me hadn’t been there I was fairly sure I would have jumped him. But I was most surprised by how turned on I was by the over whelming need to protect burning in his fiery green eyes. Yum.

“Well, well.” Newman drawled lazily, scooping me closer to his body. “Look, Sylvie, we got us a visitor from your neck of the woods. Sylvie, my little squirrel, this is Seth West.”

“Yeah no shit, Sherlock.” I huffed trying to get him off me.

Newman’s brown eyes snapped to my face in surprise. “So, you know?”

“What? About the fact I have wolf-people crawling all over my land? Yeah, I‘m afraid you got beaten to that punch on that one, dickhead.” I snapped

“Release her now.” Seth demanded in a tone I hadn’t heard before.

Newman flinched slightly but didn’t move his arm. “Or what, Mutt?”

Seth’s eyes began to darken at the threat as he leaned forward to hiss lowly, “Or I’ll rip your god damn head off and toss it across this diner. I doubt your Daddy would risk war with my pack without knowing about our numbers. And I promise you. You. Will. Lose.”

I felt Newman begin to tremble. I was really close to laughing out loud but Seth shot me a warning look. Instead I bit my cheek and lowered my head. Come on! This was hilarious! Big ole Newman shaking in his boots all because of my Seth? Unless I was missing something big.

“Now release her.” Seth ordered.

Newman’s arm fell from my shoulder as he slid out of the booth. His body was still shaking though his face stayed placid as he rose to his full height. He was a little taller and wider then Seth but he looked clumsy. Seth on the other hand was built like a weapon of mass destruction. Sleek and deadly under a mask of beauty.

Seth offered me his hand, his eyes never leaving Newman’s as I rose to stand beside him. His arm wrapped protectively around my waist as his eyes fell to the other guys. My eyes went straight to Ethan. He was pale and his eyes were bulging out of his skull as he looked between Seth and I. Well, so much for being friends.

Seth turned me so I was facing away from the table before turning back to Newman with hatred leaking from his words as he spat them.

“Touch my mate again and I won’t hesitate next time to kill you.”

And with that we walked out of the diner. As we walked I was pretty positive I was going to be in deep shit. But at the time all I could do was enjoy the tingle of Seth’s body holding mine. The calm before the storm. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

736K 21.9K 83
Sylvie, 16, sees colours, where other people only hear words or feel emotions. She knows she has to keep this a secret - as people disappear to insti...
1.9M 95K 78
(𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞🔞) Three mates. One destiny. A world on the brink of destruction. At 27, Riley thought she knew who she w...
488 82 30
Spoilers for sure. Go read an earlier book if you haven't already: Four months have passed since Conor found a blood head on his bed and things are...
5.8M 176K 38
NEW EDITION. REVISION IN PROGRESS *amateur writing. Not everyone's cup of tea.* "She turned her pain into power, her visions into victory." "Behind e...