The Master Finale | manxman |...

By JosslynWho

Book Four of The Master Collection Master Jasper has been with his wife Darcy for a decade now, and although... More

Welcome to 'The Master Finale'
Prologue
I - Renewed Conflict
II - Not Yet Rosebuds
III - The Aspirations of a Chaotic Mind
IV - Whispers in the Night
V - Bloody Demands
VI - Love Again, my Love
VII - For the First Time
VIII - Never Let Me Go
IX - Shameless
X - The Man Named Broderick Thorne
XI - Remember This Face
XII - Rosebuds
XIII - From One to Another
XIV - Broadening the Family
XV - Namesake
XVI - The Will of a Father
XVIII - No More Fears, No More Tears
XIX - It All Comes Back Around
XX - Mad Love
XXI - Roses
Epilogue
MASTER COLLECTION NEWS!

XVII - Heart of my Heart

4.3K 291 85
By JosslynWho

Eloise Daloris Lancechester.

Jasper Elijah Lancechester.

Those were the names Darcy had decided upon when giving her and Jasper's children a title, and he'd been more than accepting of them. It was the next day following the birth of the fraternal twins, and even with the lack of sleep on her part due to double breast feedings, Lady Darcy was more than happy to merely have her babies out in the world now. Being a cold one at that, and one she hadn't much faith in, being accompanied by all those she loved dearly made it a mildly better place.

At least on their lands, here in their own little world.

She'd written to her parents first thing in the morning, sure to let them know of the arrival now that the wait was over.

In her arms she held her beautiful little boy, baby Jasper, nurturing him as a mother should while her husband stood across the room with Eloise in his arms. The Master was lulling the girl to sleep with whispered words of affection and paternal promises. Darcy knew of the guilt Jasper was feeling as he held his daughter, for she too had felt it for a split second upon her announcement, and even now she was ashamed for experiencing the slimmest bit of dissatisfaction.

"Jasper, darling," Darcy called to him. "She won't get any sleep if you keep talking to her like that. Why don't you lie her down in the bassinet for the time being?"

"She must know," the Master said, speaking now so the Lady could hear him. "My treasured girl must know I love her just the same."

"And she will, just as baby Jasper will feel the identical love both his parents have for him and his dear sister." When the infant unlatched from her nipple after his feeding, Darcy held him properly and closed the front of her gown. "Come sit, sweet husband."

Listening to his wife, Jasper neared the couch and sat down. They were in the dayroom and the midafternoon light shone in through the massive window behind them. There was a small, empty bassinet before them, and when he touched the soft hand of Eloise, he said, "I wish Broderick was here. Is it selfish of me to have encouraged him to see his family, and now all I wish is for him to return?"

Darcy smiled at the Master, "Not at all. You love him," she said. "It has been quite some time since you two were last separated, so you are not yet used to having him so far for so long. I'm sure he won't be much longer." About to say something more, Darcy lit up when she saw her footman walk by the doorway of the dayroom. "Mister Wade Eynesbury, just the handsome face I wanted to see."

Wade stopped immediately and turned to his Lady and Lordship. He smiled for the recently grown family. "My Lady?"

"Wade, would you be the loveliest man you are and take a trip into the city? You see, Jasper and I were expecting just one wee baby, and here we have been blessed with two. Travel to purchase an extra bassinet, and while you are there, pick up the essentials to build another crib for the nursery. I quite loved the one you put together before."

"At once, my Lady," he said, and he turned to leave.

"Wade, dear?"

"Yes?"

"Be crucially honest with me. Do you enjoy working here?"

Without delay, Wade nodded, "Oh, yes, my Lady. We lowly servants do not talk much, but if there is anything I can say about everyone, it is that we appreciate this household very much. The pay is wonderful, of course, but the environment is far more pleasant than any other manor we all have ever worked for. Since Alexander and I came from the same previous nobleman, this is a nice change of pace."

"Well, then," Darcy smiled pleasantly to the footman, "Jasper and I are happy to have you here for as long as you and Alexander wish to stay. Carry on."

When the footman was gone now to take a trip into the city, Jasper placed Eloise lightly into the available bassinet and sat back down again. "What was the meaning of that?" he asked. "I am sure you made him blush for a moment."

Keeping her voice down, Darcy softly rocked baby Jasper in her arms. "Oh, believe me, husband," she said, "Wade Eynesbury would only ever blush in embarrassment towards me. You see, during my entire pregnancy, I had been assessing everyone who works here, and I have to say my suspicions were concluded when I spied a certain Mister Wade whispering sweet nothings into the ear of one Alexander Harp. I have only been keeping an eye open in case I had to weed out anyone I did not want around our children, yet I happened upon an adoring affair taking place within our very walls."

"Wade and Alexander?" the Master nodded, "Interesting."

"Indeed," Darcy then smiled to herself, sitting back on the couch after setting baby Jasper down beside her on his back. The baby boy was asleep after having been fed, and she rubbed his small stomach as he snoozed. "Witnessing their little whispers reminded me of Juliette and I from years back. I remember I would sneak a kiss from her while mother and father had their backs turned, demand her away in upset until I'd join her minutes later in my chamber. Now, although I feel we still mustn't expose the truth of this manor, something in me feels as though the servers already know."

"Honestly," Jasper said, crossing his arms as he watched Eloise sleep, "I feel the same. Given you and I do not share a room, and that is quite known to those who tend to us in the morning, I wonder if they question where Broderick and Juliette bed themselves."

"Just as Wade said before," Darcy shrugged, "Perhaps the payment keeps their lips sealed and minds from wondering too much."

Curious, Jasper thought for a moment, "Do you think, as the parents of our children, do you think they will turn out like...us?"

"If by 'us' you mean, will Eloise be attracted to women, and will baby Jasper be attracted to men? I couldn't be sure. Neither of my parents are like us, and I can only rightly assume neither was your father or mother. So, perhaps it is not something that can pass much like the color of my hair or eyes, but perhaps it is something that could follow the family. I don't believe we could ever know for sure until they are grown."

"Understandable," Jasper said.

A moment later a quick scurrying could be heard getting closer to the dayroom and Ava appeared. She was wearing a black and white dress with her red hair pinned up, a few strays hung in her face and she lit up upon seeing the napping babies. "Oh, my," she voiced quietly, "Darcy, you had two babies in your belly? Impressive!"

Jasper laughed at the remark, "Good morning, Ava. Did you receive your breakfast?"

"Yes," the little girl crept closer to the bassinet, keeping her tone at a whisper so as not to disturb the slumbering infants. "I had it in my bedroom this morning. I quite enjoyed breakfast in bed. Jasper, what are their names?"

"She is Eloise," he said, gesturing to his daughter.

"And he is Jasper," Darcy removed her hand from her son's tummy. "You're like an elder sister, Ava."

The young girl neared the bassinet where Eloise slept, smiling happily down at the infant. "They are so adorable. I know we are not of relation, but I will be the best elder sister I can be."

Jasper smiled and took a seat beside his wife, "Come here, Ava, darling."

The young girl went to him without delay, and once she was before the blond nobleman, he said, "I do not want you to ever feel discouraged now that the babies have arrived. I know sometimes it can be difficult to not feel overshadowed, but you are as much a part of this family as they are. Darcy and I love you very much. You understand that, don't you?"

The smile on Ava's lips dropped a bit, but the look in her emerald eyes was replaced with the true feeling of admiration. "I understand," she nodded, hugging her arms around Jasper's neck. "I miss my mother and father dearly, but I know they would be happy knowing I'm here and safe with you all. Thank you for accepting me into your family, Jasper. I now know why my brother loved you so."

Feeling his throat tauten a bit, Jasper touched a hand to Ava's back, but he didn't want his emotions to falter under the pressure. When the young girl released him, he stood and took her hand. "Come along, now. Since Broderick is gone for the time being, someone must continue to conduct your studies."

Ava took the master's hand as they walked, "When is he coming back? He'll see the babies soon, too, won't he?"

"Certainly," Jasper nodded, missing Broderick all over again. "Once he comes back from Islesbury he'll see Eloise and baby Jasper."

***

It was an odd sensation waking up in his old home. As a place he thought he'd never step foot in ever again, the feeling was something he should have expected. While he lay there in the bed of a guest room, Broderick stared up at the ceiling above him. He pondered over how Jasper and the Ladies were doing over in Banemount, and the longer he thought of the blond nobleman he called 'love', the more he wanted to be beside him again.

This visit home in Islesbury was supposed to be temporary, and while it wasn't going to last forever, and he knew he should make the most of it for his mother's sake, the yearning to return to Jasper's side was upon him. It'd been three days since they were together, and though that was not such a long time, to be separated from the one he felt so deeply for wasn't so simple.

With the empty space in the bed beside him, he touched a hand to the vacant pillow and sat up. In an attempt not to think too much on his solitude, Broderick got up and dressed in black trousers, a dark ginger shirt with a black vest, and a coat with his boots. He left his curly hair down to his shoulders instead of tying it back, and then fixed a long tie around his neck and left the guest room.

"Broderick," he heard Oscar from over his shoulder, and when he turned, the man was making his way from his chamber dressed as well. With a top hat, Oscar smiled and gestured for his brother to follow him. "You slept well, I hope?"

"Just fine," Broderick said, "Thank you."

"Good, perhaps you would not mind having a private word with me, then?"

There was a certain tone to Oscar's voice that Broderick picked up on right away. He'd been away from his brother for more than a decade, but he could still hear the tone Oscar used to take up with him when he was younger, the one coupled with passive aggressive agitation.

Following anyway, Broderick was taken downstairs and into his father's old office. It looked much like it had back then, but he noticed the desk was different, and it didn't appear as worked in as it had when he was around. When he was inside, Oscar closed the door behind him, leaving them separated from anything going on out in the manor.

"Please, have a seat, brother."

Already sensing what was coming, Broderick remained standing, and watched as Oscar rounded the desk and took a seat in the large, red cushioned chair behind it. "I take it mother has divulged father's Will to you? Am I correct?"

Broderick said nothing.

"To think a middle born could be granted such an award. If anything, I deserve the lot of the inheritance. I believe even Johanna deserved more than what she got." Oscar sat back, linking his hands together in his lap. "While she and I were out fulfilling father's desire for us to marry, you were just a disappointment sheltered in this damned manor. I don't know why father granted you half of everything, but it is completely ridiculous. It goes against—."

"Father's Will is father's Will," Broderick said, his voice even and untouched by anger. "I couldn't care less if I were included in the Will or not. I did not come back to seek reward. I only came to quell mother's possible worry for me. You can be upset all you like, but nothing can change what has been written."

"You say you care not for father's Will?" Oscar sat forward, "Then relinquish your right to it. Grant me your earnings and we'll leave it at that."

"I will do no such thing."

"You have lived life as a common man. You were content with it. Why must you keep the £50,000.00? Associated with Jasper Lancechester as you are, I'm sure you have not lived in filth, have you?"

"No, I have not," Broderick said, still maintaining composure as his brother fumed. "But my association with Jasper Lancechester has nothing to do with my own capabilities to take care of myself. You can be upset about the outcome of father's Will, but I won't give it up for your jealousy and contempt toward me."

"Jealousy?" Oscar's tone rose a bit, and at this point, anyone walking by the office in the hall would be able to hear him. "You have to have grown quite arrogant to think I would be jealous of you. I was the first born son to the Thorne family, therefore, it was my right to collect the majority of the inheritance. Father only granted you such because you made him feel guilty when you abandoned this place."

"Or perhaps he realized it was I who held our name together. While you were out coaxing yourself into a marriage, while father pushed Johanna into marriage, and he and mother spent their time fooling about, I was here making sure the respect placed upon our name was not destroyed. If it was not for my workings as father's voice back then, he would have sold all our land, and lost the business our great-grandfather started in Royal Thorne. Not even Ronald Lancechester would dare associate himself with us if it was not for me." The incensed crease in Broderick's brow downed, and he took a step closer to the desk dividing him and his brother. "It does my heart good to know father finally realized you were not so deserving."

"You shit," Oscar spat, "Get out of my manor. Go back to Banemount to live in your hovel."

"Unfortunately," Broderick smirked then, "You are wrong there as well, brother. Father left this place to me, but don't worry, I won't take it from you. Mother needs a place to stay, after all, and I wouldn't want your sons to be discouraged."

Oscar stepped around the desk as if to near Broderick, but he stopped when the door to the office opened.

Beautiful as ever in a light peach dress stood Johanna. Her wavy black hair was down far past her shoulders, and she was a grown woman now in her mid-thirties. Immediately recognizing her younger brother, she lit up in excitement and rushed for him.

"Broderick!" she exclaimed, squeezing him with an embrace that was far stronger than he was expecting from a woman. "Mother sent for me that you'd returned. You're so handsome, now!"

"Now, is all?" Broderick embraced his sister and let go when she stepped back. "Surely I did not look too bad back then."

"Oh, I only joke," she kissed his cheeks. "How wonderful it is to finally see you again. Oscar here must have been sulking over the Will, yes? He truly never shuts up about it." When she looked back at Oscar, he glared down at the floor like a punished child. "Come, Broderick, I have family I would love to introduce you to. We can leave brother here in all his tears. Honestly, Oscar, can you not ever be happy for once?"

When he turned out of the room with Johanna holding onto his arm, Broderick couldn't help smiling to her. Though she'd been paraded around when she was younger, there was never a moment when Johanna was not happy to be around her family. Those years ago, she'd loved him and Jamie dearly, and he'd never cease to appreciate the effort she put into showing it.

"I'm sure you recall Nicholas Johnson?" she said, walking beside Broderick. "Well, I'll have you know I did not marry that man from long ago. After you had gone, Broderick, for good reason father's heart opened up a lot more, and he said I could enter a marriage on my own terms. Nicholas was such an arse, so I shooed him away and found me a man who genuinely loves me. I will be quite honest, father was not all too pleased with the choice, but allowed me to fall in love nonetheless."

"Tell me about him."

"He is but three years younger than myself, and he was raised in an orphanage in Jenisburge. You know the tiny village outside of Islesbury?" Broderick's heart stopped for an instant, recognizing that orphanage as being the same one Neville was raised in. "He does not like to talk about his past, but I do not force him to, so there is not much I can tell you about in that department. We met when I was out ribbon shopping. The wind became so rough that day and my hat blew away. I watched him chase after it through the streets." Johanna's cheeks blushed as she recollected on the day she'd met her current husband at the age of twenty-three back then. "Oh, I thought him the sweetest boy in all of England."

"I am glad you are content, Jo," Broderick said.

"I am," she nodded, "And I am glad father allowed me what he did in his Will. It may not seem right from how things are naturally run, but I am glad to be the one who provides the life my family has."

Broderick and Johanna stepped outside then, and beyond the terrace was a rather handsome family. Firstly, he was introduced to Ivan Birdy. Knowing what his background consisted of when Broderick shook the man's hand, a great respect for him embedded itself into him. He was not a very big man in stature, quite thin but tall, and he had a head full of darkish blond hair. His faded green eyes told a story Broderick could never know the entire deal of, but he was happy to see someone from a place like that damned orphanage was enjoying a free life.

After Ivan came three stunning children, two older girls and a young boy, each of them aged ten, eight, and three years old. Broderick was overtaken by Johanna's family as he chatted with them all, and suddenly he found himself thinking about life with Jasper after the birth of he and Darcy's baby. Children were such a blessing to have when they were desired, and to be a mother or father, he could only imagine it as being one of the greatest things in the world. Broderick himself never pondered on having some of his own, knew he never would, especially given his lack of means to be with a woman. But he greatly looked forward to being involved with Jasper and his family.

For the remainder of the day, Broderick got on well with his nieces and nephews, getting to know all of them and caught up with everyone who was dear to his heart. However, once evening began to come around to mark the fourth night away from the Lancechester manor, he felt himself grow more desperate than ever. He missed Jasper so very much and wanted to go back home.

To his real home.

When supper had concluded, Broderick said goodbye to his sister and her family, promising to see them again sometime, and that he would not stay away like he had before. Alone with his mother now, he took Blythe with him to the old music room. He remembered one of the most heart wrenching moments in his life had taken place there, where little Jamie had passed in his arms one night so long ago.

Helping Blythe into a chair beside a cello, Broderick took his mother's hand and knelt down before her. "It has been so nice coming back to see you all," he said, encouraging a smile on her face. "But, mother, I believe it is time I go once more. I swear to you my being gone will not remain so permanent. I will come visit you again."

"You promise to come back for your mother? Perhaps on Christmas, that would be wonderful."

"Christmas it is, then."

"Before you go, Broderick," Blythe placed her other hand atop her son's, her touch tender and mild. "Thank you for letting me see you again. I prayed an awful lot when you first went that I would see you just once more. I love all of my children sincerely, and I know if your father were still with us, he would want you to know how much he appreciated you as his son."

"I understand now," Broderick nodded, "Rest assured I have felt the love lacked from years prior. I love you, mother."

Blythe stood and kissed her son's cheek, and once Broderick had everything he needed, including the means to collect whatever earnings from his father's Will, he piled everything onto the buggy he'd traveled with and was off.

Before leaving the city entirely, he left flowers at the family mausoleum, a bouquet for both his brother and father.

It'd taken around the same amount of time getting from Islesbury to Banemount. The two-day journey only caused his dire need to be with Jasper to grow stronger, and once the established manor was in his prospects, he finally felt a sense of tranquility waterfall over him.

With it being mid-afternoon around this time, there was still a blanket of thick gray clouds in the sky. Rain was nearing, thunder sounding in the faded distance, but it would be upon Banemount in due time. After storing the horse and buggy away with the coachman, Broderick made his way around to the front of the manor and was allowed inside.

"Welcome back, Lord Thorne," Alexander gestured him inside, "I hope you enjoyed your time away."

Broderick furrowed his brow at the servant, "You have been informed of my true identity?"

"Oh, forgive me," Alexander lowered his head. "Wade told me you said your name was not Mr. Timothy Creel, but Broderick Thorne."

"You are all right and Wade is correct," Broderick touched a hand to the servant's shoulder, causing the young man's brown skin to warm as well as his cheeks. "Is Jasper and everyone in?"

"Yes, Master Jasper is currently in the library."

With that, Broderick went up the left side of the twin staircase and down the corridor. As he drew nearer to the library, the faster his heart began to beat. He couldn't say where the rapid pound was coming from, but his authentic thrill to be with his love again surely caused most of it. Turning into the library then, he spotted Jasper inside all by himself.

The beautiful lord was dressed in dark blue trouser shorts, and a light buttoned shirt tucked at his waist, long black, buckled stockings that reached up his slim thighs, and short heeled shoes were on his feet. He was perched on a ladder, having pushed a book back into the designated slot he'd gotten it from. As he skimmed the spines of others in front of him, Broderick entered the library, his heart having calmed a bit now that Jasper was before him.

He cleared his throat then, and the noise brought on by him alerted his love's attention. Jasper craned his neck to look around, gasping and smiling immediately upon laying eyes on the other man.

"Broderick!" he exclaimed in eagerness, rushing down the ladder.

"Careful," the dark-haired man lent a hand, and once Jasper's feet touched the floor, the blond lord couldn't help himself and sprung into Broderick's arms. "It was nice being with my family again," he said, "But I could not wait to be back here with you. You, your love, your presence, I missed it so."

Jasper took the sweet words spoken to him and kissed Broderick, alleviated now that he could feel this man against his body, his lips, and he couldn't get enough of it. When he stole his tongue, the Master's breath mingled with Broderick's and it shook. "Every morning I wished you safe travel, every morning I thought of having you beside me again. I missed you so as well."

Broderick touched his hand through Jasper's beautiful and shining locks. "I am here now, love. You have me."

Needing to feel the other man once more, the Master embezzled a second kiss, and then attempted to calm himself. "Come," he pulled Broderick along to the library entry, "You must see the babies."

"Babies?" the dark-haired man stopped, "More than one?"

Jasper nodded proudly, "We have a son and a daughter. Come see them!"

Following the excitement in Jasper, they went up to the nursery on the third floor. The door was open when they entered and it was decorated with all white furnishings, the walls papered in olive green and white, identical cribs near one another positioned below two tall curtained windows.

The nursemaid was seated inside the room looking after the sleeping infants, fabric and a sewing needle in her possession when they entered. Upon seeing the Master and Broderick, she stepped out when she was commanded to do so. Closing the door behind her, Jasper took the other man's hand and led him to the cribs. "They are beautiful, aren't they?"

Looking upon the babies, Broderick felt a smile come to him. "They are. Congratulations. Their names?"

"This is my Eloise, and she also carries my mother's name," Jasper placed a hand on the rail of the right crib, "And we've named our son after myself and Elijah."

"Beautiful, Jasper. You have a beautiful family."

The Master wrapped his arm with Broderick's, clinging to him as he rested his head on the man's shoulder. "You are part of this family, too, my love. Always will be."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

377K 17.7K 51
Ash is a fashion model, not by choice but the desire of his projecting mother. People think he's too cocky for his own good, judging him based on wha...
232K 8.7K 7
His Cowboy Temptation [ManxMan] When Maximilian Sterling returns to his family ranch after eight years of absence he can't wait to get back to the ci...
236K 12.3K 24
Book Two of The Master Collection Quinn and Oliver have been best mates since birth. They are both the sons of wealthy aristocrats, innocent to the w...
430K 20.8K 29
BOYS' LOVE- second book to Strangely Comforting Jasper and Xander have finally made their relationship official. ...Only to each other. Jasper's best...