Assassin's Creed: Chronos (Ez...

By TMWolf

(note: Story cover has been updated May 2023 :) New chapter covers will be added slowly too) Catherine Wolfe... More

Prologue
Act I - 01 The Call
02 - Many Meetings I
03 - Many Meetings II
04 - Florence Tarantella
05 - Name of the Game
06 - Disparate Youth
07 - A Small Measure of Peace
08 - Talk
09 - Little Wonders
10 - Home In Florence
11 - Death and All His Friends
12 - The Days We Care About
13 - Blinding
Act II - 14 Bravado
15 - Twisted Logic
16 - Fix You
17 - Dog Days Are Over
18 - This Too Shall Pass
19 - Big Girls Don't Cry
20 - Home
21 - We Build Then We Break
22 - Tomorrow Will Be Kinder
23 - The Middle
24 - A Life So Changed
25 - The Hardest Part
26 - Secrets
27 - Mother & Father
28 - Ends of the Earth
29 - Iron
30 - Southern Sun
31 - One Week
32 - I Will Be There
33 - Waiting Game
34 - Heads Will Roll
35 - Flightless Bird, American Mouth
36 - All Summer Long
37 - The Preacher
38 - The Take Over, The Breaks Over
39 - Hopeless Wanderer
40 - All the Small Things
41 - Another One Bites the Dust
42 - The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
43 - Better Days I
44 - Better Days II
45 - Chase of the Highway
46 - Warm Water
47 - All You Never Say
47 - A Message
49 - Four Walls
50 - Weights & Measure
51 - Bless the Broken Road
53 - Bless the Broken Road III
Act III - 54 How Far We've Come
55 - The King And All of His Men
56 - Shadowplay I
57 - Shadowplay II
58 - Ain't No Rest For the Wicked
59 - Young Blood I
60 - Young Blood II
61 - Young Blood III
62 - The Sun's Gone Dim and the Sky's Turned Black
63 - Headlong Into the Abyss
64 - The Ruler, The Killer
65 - The Hours
66 - Epilogue -o- Nascence
Sequel

52 - Bless the Broken Road II

2.9K 77 55
By TMWolf

This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
Yes it did

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

March 21, 1481

Venice, Italy

"Shit!"

Catherine's eyes shot open at the curse, which had made an attempts\ to be quiet, but the one who uttered it jerked beneath her. It was dark, but she could just barely make out Ezio sucking on his index finger, his expression reflecting pain. Her gaze flicked to the night stand, where she expected he might have put out a candle-it was dark after all-but she couldn't even make out the lingering glow of the flame. She did, however, notice a familiar object beside the candle.

Her clock.

Her heart raced a little and she instinctively clutched at the young man's shirt. She had an idea what he had tried to do, and, knowing the one reason why the artifact would burn him, she had a feeling she was right.

"Oh-did I wake you?" the young man inquired softly, arm wrapped around her waist tugging her a bit closer. "Sorry, kitty-'Cat. Go back to sleep. You need your rest."

Catherine made a hum of acknowledge and settled her head on his chest, but sleep she did not come. No, guilt had invaded her heart and mind, and it consumed her. She knew why Ezio had tried to take the Clock; he meant to keep it from her-to keep her safe, but he couldn't. It wouldn't let him. She could feel his grip tighten a bit more, and an exasperated breath of air left him. He was frustrated. She knew him too well to not know when he was. The redhead sighed as she closed her eyes, hating she was causing him this pain.

"I'm sorry."

"What? For what?"

"You can't keep the Clock from me... it... it has a special... mechanism. It will always find its way back to me, no matter what anyone does," she explained, again clenching her hands. "I'm sorry-I... I know it's hard for you, and I don't... I don't mean to... but... please don't be angry..."

"No, no, no, I'm not angry," Ezio replied quickly, kissing her brow gently and using his other hand to cup her cheek. "It's not your fault. I just... to know I can't protect the one I love... there is nothing more infuriating..."

"I know... but... but we will find a way to keep it from hurting me again," she told him, leaning into his touch.

"Indeed... and I suppose the artifact is not all bad-it did bring you to me," he chuckled.

She chuckled back, "That it did... and thank God for that. Although... I do wish you could have met my Mom and family, too. I think you would have found my time fun, although confusing for a while."

"I would have loved to meet them as well, and it wouldn't be fun without a little confusion."

"God, I'd love to see you freak out over cars and planes and trying to figure out phones and TV's," the redhead snickered, turning to lay her arm on his chest and settle her head on her limbs.

"I have no idea what you mean by any of those things," he grinned in reply, reaching up to stroke her hair. "But I would be happy to learn them-all that really matters is that we're together."

"Since when are you such a romantic?"

"I've always been a romantic-you just refused to believe it. I'm also an amazing lover," he purred, suddenly reaching down and pulling her further up. He ran his hands along her back until he could grope her rear. Catherine giggled as she braced her arms on either side of his head, forehead pressed to his.

"Still as cheeky as ever. Although, I admit," she hummed, gazed falling a bit shyly, "I, ah... I'm a little... nervous."

"Nervous? About making love? You mean to tell me, you'd charge head on into a group of guards and be willing to sacrifice your life... but you're nervous about the pleasure a man can bring a woman?" he mused, brow waggling.

She huffed, pouting some, "I know how to fight... I... well, again, you're the first guy I've kissed. I don't... I'm just scared I'll... disappoint."

"Catherine, you worry too much. You needn't-I have much I can teach you, and I am more than eager to do so. There's always something so enticing about a woman who is pure and untouched. Oh, yes, I will take great pleasure in ravaging you," he growled huskily as he leaned forward to mouth at her neck slightly. Excited shocks went through her at once, and she gasped in anticipation. He stopped there, though, and chuckled before stealing a quick kiss. "See? You're more eager than you think."

"Such a tease... damn I wish I had more energy already," the redhead huffed, practically flopping down on him. She hated admitted holding herself up like that was somewhat exhausting, but it wasn't entirely unexpected.

"As do I... but I waited years to kiss you-I can wait a few days more to finally taste you," he purred, squeezing her rump lightly so as to get a small squeak from her that turned his grin cheeky.

"You're terrible," she snickered.

He kissed her, "You wouldn't have it any other way."

"Hmm... your right. I wouldn't. It is why I love you."

"And that's it?"

"Oh, no, there's more... but I'll tell you later."

"And you call me a tease... but that's only one of the many things I love about you."

"What? Love me just for being a tease?"

"No, no, there's more-'but I'll tell you later'," Ezio winked, and Catherine laughed with delight. She paused a moment later, though, just watching him; smiling; admiring; loving. His hand came up to stroke her hair, the very same look in his eyes. Her chest swelled as she leaned into his touch, adoring every moment of it and everything about him.

So this-this was love.

It was all she had hoped for, and with more yet to come.

She couldn't wait.

"Good night, Ezio," she chuckled, leaning up to kiss him once more before settling her head on his chest.

"Rest easy, my kitty-Cat," he murmured softly in reply, hands coming to rest on her lower back as he, too, settled down.

-O-

March 22, 1481

Venice, Italy

"So, how do you feel, my dear?" Fontina inquired, the older woman gently maneuvering the younger as she inspected her mobility. Catherine stood upright-at last-and let the woman do as need be as she hummed thoughtfully.

"Better. A little weak still, but a lot better," she replied after a moment. It was true; while still not back to her full self, she was a thousand times better after another day of rest and eating. She didn't feel as weighed down or sluggish, and she'd been able to walk around the room, although Ezio had remained close-just in case. Even now he remained on the bed, watching carefully, and ready to spring out to steady her if need be while Fontina did her inspection. Any external injuries had healed well, as had her lover's, as she'd come to find when he happily took off his shirt earlier. Internal wounds, she couldn't be sure of, although she hadn't felt anything besides fatigue, nor had she coughed up blood, so she could only assume she had none of those. Hopefully.

"Well, that's good then. You need to get up and about to keep getting better-your body will forget how to move otherwise," the older woman mused, nodding with satisfaction, and then regarded the young woman. "We'll see about having you start walking around outside. Fresh air will do you good. Not far today-just to your limit, but you'll need to go every day until you can at least run some."

"Yeesh, what's the hurry?" the redhead chuckled, but the humor was quickly lost when she noticed the older woman's demeanor suddenly change. She glanced back at Ezio, and there was a similar look-one that told her something had gone on while she was out.

Fontina sighed softly, "Antonio believes it's best you two left the city-just for a little while. A month or two at most. Your saving us caused quite a commotion. The guard are doubling their efforts to find you two-especially you, my dear. Thankfully no one got too good a look at you, but all the same, you need to leave to let the commotion die down. Unfortunately, you won't get too far if you can't even make it to the docks."

"I... see... well, I guess we did want a vacation, right?" the redhead chuckled, glancing back at her man, whom grinned in reply. She turned back to her caretaker, "Well, I'm eager to get back into running shape, either way."

"Good. Then let's get you cleaned up and into fresh clothes. Out with you, young man."

Ezio leaned back impishly, "Whatever for?"

"Because she is in need of privacy to change and bathe."

"But I am her lover-is it not only natural I gaze upon and admire her form?"

"'Lover', not husband, boy. Now out!"

"Maybe next time," Catherine chuckled, winking a bit playfully, although her cheeks were a little red at the thought of him looking at her bare naked. That was probably silly because they were lovers, like he said-or would be. Not to mention she trusted him, but she was still nervous about it. She would open up to him soon, though. She wanted to. No doubt he'd just have to kiss her and mouth at her neck and her clothes would practically take themselves off.

Ezio smirked as he came over, stealing a kiss and replying huskily, "I look forward to it."

Her flush deepened, but unlike before she smiled. Her heart raced, but not from embarrassment or even fear, but rather joy. Knowing he wanted her so badly and to know it was from love made all the difference. She practically felt like an entirely new person.

"Well, looks like I'll be winning some coins then," Fontina mused suddenly, pulling the redhead from her stupor. The older woman laughed as she gestured for Catherine to undress. "Oh, yes-Rosa got a runnin' bet going on how long it would take you two foolish children to finally confess to one another. I knew it wouldn't take long."

This time, the redhead's flush was from embarrassment. God, had it been that obvious to everyone? She decided not to think on it as she undid her shirt, only briefly wincing at the soreness in stretching her limbs so much. It was still better than not being able to stand at all, so she kept up with it until she had rid herself of her clothes-it was then she realized how icky they had gotten-and happily took the new garbs Fontina provided for her. They were simple attire, though not tattered like most of the thieves wore. It was a common man's shirt and trousers, and then a hat, too. They all fit well enough. A little baggy, but not too badly.

"This should do. The guards aren't looking for a thief as luck would have it. Now, you still need to take it easy, but make sure you go as much as you can out there. I'll be here when you get back to give you another look and feed you a warm meal. About time we filled that belly of yours proper," the older woman smiled, patting Catherine's stomach, and then headed for the door. The redhead settled back on the bed to start putting on her boots while Ezio sauntered back in. He smiled softly, although there looked like relief in his expression, too-no doubt that she had managed to get so far already, and that she would get farther still. She was certainly relieved about that, too.

"I'll change as well and then we can depart," the young man grinned, making his way over to a dresser where another stack of clothes were. Catherine fussed over her boots, making a hum of acknowledgment. She got the first one on before she spoke up.

"Do you have anything particular pla-," she began, looking up at him, but paused as her tongue became rather tied at the sight of Ezio slipping his loose undershirt from his shoulders. It revealed a wonderful display of what she could only call perfectly sculpted back muscles that rippled beneath his tanned skin with the movement. She couldn't help staring, nor blushing when he glanced back, having noticed her pause. She looked away shyly, and immediately wondered why. This was what couples did-saw each other shirtless. Right?

She glanced up again, and found him still watching. She stared longer than she should have, eyes flicking all over his perfect form. She remembered herself a moment later and quickly looked away yet again, cheeks and ears turning a brighter shade of red. They grew fiery hot when she heard him chuckle. It worsened as he came closer, boots scuffing against the floor. Next thing she knew, his pants were in her line of sight, and once she lifted her head, she found his bare chest in front of her. She couldn't help inhaling a little, heart racing. Oh, she'd seen it before-when he teased her-but this was different. This was purposeful. It wasn't a tease-not like before, anyways. This was normal for a couple. This was what she was supposed to see. It wasn't wrong. The notion caused her to be torn between excitement and nervousness.

"You do not need to be shy, kitty-Cat. This is all yours-do as you wish with it," Ezio rumbled, holding out his arms, and not-so-blatantly flexing just about everything. She met his gaze, noting he had a cheeky look about him, but then down to his chest and abdomen. God, she wanted nothing more than to feel every inch of it. She had for a long, long time. She bit her lip in her indecision, but even then her hand lifted-almost on its own. "Don't hesitate; feel as much as you like."

Catherine met his gaze briefly yet again, and then let her hand close the distance. She reminded herself she'd touched it before, albeit with a shirt on, but it was the same. Except, it definitely wasn't, and she knew it even as she kept silently saying otherwise. She enjoyed it, though. He was hard; firm; a little warm. She felt him flex again; felt the muscles shift and tense against her touch. She wanted to feel it all. She wanted to know every inch and fiber, so she let her fingertips roam. They inspected each row of his abs, slowly working up to his pectorals. She hardly noticed how he leaned forward, arms coming to settle on either side of her. His forehead pressed against hers as she moved up and out, massaging his shoulders. The definition never faltered as she moved further still, but then returned to his collar. She ended up at his neck where her fingers tangled with his hair. She tilted her chin, lips close to his.

"To your liking, my love?" he half-purred, half-rumbled.

She swallowed with only a bit of difficulty as she felt her mind getting a little fuzzy, "Uh-huh."

"I would have it no less... and soon enough..," he began, brushing his lips past hers before moving to her chin. His stubble tickled her while his mouth teased her tingling skin on the way down to her collar. He growled softly, hot breath sending a shiver down her spine, "I'll return the favor..."

He gave her a quick, searing kiss before pulling away, brows waggling, and leaving her heart racing a million miles an hour. She pouted moments later, realizing he had been teasing her-badly. She threw a half-glare, half-pout at him, which he turned in time to see, and burst out laughing.

"You will not be pouting when I return the favor, kitty-Cat."

"I-," she started, but then paused, thinking. "...Okay, yeah, no I probably won't. You hot, cheeky bastard."

"I'll take that as a compliment," he snickered, and left her be long enough to compose herself while he dressed. Once done, he was polite as could be as he came over and held out his hand and arm for her. She happily took it, and entwined her limb with his, both for the fun of it, and because she did need it some. Her legs weren't quite as strong as she liked, so walking could be tricky at times, but she was, at the very least, able to make it to the main area. There Leonardo and Fontina were waiting, and the artist brightened immensely as he came over to embrace her.

"You look so much better, my friend!" he smiled softly, holding her hands in his. "I would accompany you, but both Fontina and Ezio say it is less, ah, conspicuous if I do not. But rest assured I will do everything I can to help!"

"Leo, you're fine. You got me help and you're letting me stay here. You're honestly doing way too much," Catherine chuckled, although the artist waved off her reply.

"Nonesense! You are my dearest friend! I am only repaying a small part of all the kindness you have shown me!"

Ezio chuckled, "And you have no need to do so-although we do appreciate it. However, if you must continue to help... Catherine will need a full meal when we return... and a change of sheets would be in order. Perhaps some medicine as well...?"

"Fontina and I can certainly see to that. You two have fun now! You have much to time to catch up on, after all," the artist chuckled, an oddly mischievous look about him.

"Indeed we do. Shall we, Catherine?" her "escort" inquired, motioning with his head to the door. She followed his gaze, and in her pause she tightened her hold on his arm some. She was a little afraid-or rather, worried. She wasn't positive her legs could carry her, but she knew Ezio would be there. He'd help her if she fell.

She couldn't help smiling, the thought of such a thing filling her with warmth.

"Yeah, let's go."

The young man spared her a final smile, and then he led her out through the doors. The humid air and bright sun hit her a little rough, but Ezio waited as long as she needed to adjust her eyes and take in a deep breath. A cool breeze came moments later, and they continued on.

She was shakier than she thought she'd be, but instead of getting worse, her legs got better as they continued on. She still kept her grip on her companion, and he went slow as they walked. It was nice, and she let her head rest on his shoulder at some point as they walked. He was all too happy to let her do so, and place gentle kisses on her brow. It was a kind of bliss she had never known, and was eager to hold on to. Even if it was just a small walk through the alleyways to side and back roads to avoid the crowd, it was the best walk she'd ever been on. It was quieter than she expected, but she found that was okay. She relished in the silence between them, and realized words weren't needed. They had already said what they needed-more would eventually come, of course, but for now things were content-so only his presence was needed. The firm, stalwart wall that was his body supporting her when she needed; the occasional tender show of affection; the loving way he entwined their fingers as they went.

It was so much more than she had dreamed, and she hoped it would never end.

Sadly, her legs did not agree, and eventually she did have to rest, but even that did not deter their serenity. No, Ezio was glad to hold her close, letting her recover against him. They spoke a little then; mostly him inquiring how she felt and her replying just that she was a little tired, and how her feet already felt a little sore, but she was fine overall. It was disheartening to know how weak she'd been made, but she suspected it wouldn't take long to be back to full health. Ezio thought and said the same, assuring her she would be fine. For once, she believed him.

"Any better yet?" he inquired after another few moments of silence. Catherine hummed as she looked down at her feet, tapping the tip of her boots together rather lazily.

"Yeah. I can make it back, anyways. I'll probably be pretty sore tomorrow, but that's good-it means I really worked the weak muscles."

"Not to worry," he chuckled, kissing her cheek as he stood up and held his hand out for her. "If need be, I will gladly carry you."

"That's rather tempting, actually... but I need to walk as much as I can," she chuckled back, taking his hand and easing up slowly. Again, she entwined their arms and fingers, and they walked once more. She sighed happily as they went, head on his shoulders again. "Not gonna lie... this... this has been nice. I know we've walked together before, so it's probably weird to think it, but... it's a lot better than those times."

"That's because now we're not second guessing how the other really feels," the young man smirked.

She laughed, "Yeah-that's probably it. It was a pain in the ass trying to figure it out, but I'm glad I didn't give up. I was tempted a lot. I thought things would end up like they always did when I started to feel anything for anyone... but not this time."

"I'm glad as well," he hummed softly, leaning his head against her briefly. After a pause, he called out to her, "If... if you would... What did happen with the others? What did they do to seal your heart so tightly?"

She sighed deeply, "It's not so much what they did... mostly it was my own fault. You remember the boy I mentioned-the one I was in love with?"

His grip tightened a little as he nodded, "I do."

"Well, like I said... I fell in love and I realize now it was stupid to do so. He never liked me beyond as a sister, and even then we eventually drifted apart. It... hurt a lot, though. I felt stupid for falling for him, and then... I tried to have others like me. I tried flirting, but no one ever seemed interested. They either had girlfriends-er, sorry; they already had lovers, or didn't see me that way. It made it hard to think anyone wanted me, and I couldn't help thinking the same whenever you would flirt with the others-even if it was to make me jealous after some point."

Ezio was quiet for a little while, still having them walk slowly along the alleyways. He paused, though, as they came near the exit of one. He untwined their limbs, but only so he could wrap his arms around her waist, looping his fingers to keep her closer. She braced her hands against his chest, looking up at him. He pressed his forehead to hers, a gentle smile on his face.

"Frankly, I'm glad they never took interest. I'm glad no others from here have either-albeit partly my own doing," he smirked slightly, and laughed when she raised a questioning brow. "You honestly think no men were interested in you? Catherine, you forced me to persuade many others to forsake that interest."

"Oh my God."

"Now, now-is that such a bad thing now that I have you?" he grinned impishly, and she couldn't help but laugh. His grin only widened as he kissed her cheek. "See? I am certainly glad I did. You are mine, and I will not lose you to anyone or anything."

"You mean it? You won't somehow fall out of love with me?" she inquired somewhat seriously, although she smiled as she reached up to settle her hands on his shoulders.

He wrapped his arms a little tighter around her, "Never. I told you-I can't look at other women the same. None match up to you, and I won't let any other man have your heart. You are mine and mine alone, as I am yours and only yours."

"And here I thought you couldn't be romantic," Catherine chuckled softly, running her fingers through his hair.

"I told you-you never believed me," Ezio snickered right back, pressing his forehead to hers again. He brushed his lips against hers as well, making her giggle some.

"Your beard is getting rough."

He perked a brow, "Shall I remove it?"

"Hmm," she paused, brushing her cheek against it a bit more before she grinned. "Nope. I love it."

She kissed him deeply then, and he was all too happy to return the affection. He was even happier to give plenty more as he stepped forward some, pushing Catherine into the near wall. He was careful, of course, but still could not resist pressing himself against her as he made each lip lock deeper. She gave in, of course, putty in his embrace, and he took advantage of her compliance. His mouth ventured, and she sounded off with agreement, making soft sounds of pleasure as he teased her neck like before. Her body arched against his, fingers tightening around his hair, and her skin tingled wherever he let his tongue touch. Her virgin flesh was eager for his skilled touch, but again it was denied as he pulled back-grinning like the Devil himself.

"You make it so hard to resist taking you right here and now," he rumbled, and she was half-tempted to tell him to just do it. He kissed her gently on the mouth this time. "But that would be rather indecent, wouldn't it?"

"I-er... well, yes, it would," she chuckled as he pulled back, but kept close while he held up his arm for her to take. She did so, and they began to walk again. "It'd be a little uncomfortable, too. A brick wall isn't exactly where I imagined having sex for the first time."

"Then where would you like it?"

She flushed a little, "Um, well... y'know... the bed...?"

He laughed, "No need to be so timid about it. We'll make it so. Frankly, I prefer the bed, too-much more comfortable and so many different ways to make use of it!"

"I did...," Catherine began, mumbling as her cheeks reddened a bit more.

"Hmm? What are you mumbling?"

"I, uh... wanted... to... try... stuff... too."

"Oh? Like what? I will be happy to oblige."

"Y'know... all... of them?" she practically squeaked, eyes flicking from the street to him. The young man paused a moment, and then laughed once again-loudly this time. Her flush grew worse, and a fierce pout came over her face. She pulled her arm from his and folded it over her chest in a huff, which only made him laugh more. He stole a kiss despite her sour look, and cupped her chin in his hands.

"I know I keep saying it, but you really are going to ruin me."

"Pssh, says the one who won't be unable to walk the next morning."

"Who said anything about leaving the bed?"

"I have to eventually leave."

"Then fear not-I will carry you."

"So you can parade me around and show off what you did?" she mused, brow raised.

He smirked, "Oh, no need for that. They'll all know I ravaged you by then."

She opened her mouth to question it, but realization came quickly, and again her cheeks grew hot and red. Her pout returned, and Ezio laughed some more while he stole a second kiss.

"Know I tease only because I love you," he smiled and held out his arm for her. She gave him an ultimately harmless, playful glare, but it faded away. In its place was her own smile as she entwined their limbs and slipped her fingers between his just as they had before.

"I love you, too."

He gestured to the path ahead, "Let's get you back then, and get you something to eat."

"Sounds good to me. Lead the way," she replied, leaning her head on his shoulder, and lead away he did.

-O-

March 24, 1481

Venice, Italy

Catherine sighed with relief as she flopped onto the bed, her body a little tired, but not nearly as bad as it had been a few days ago. Two days of eating full meals, drinking plenty of fluid, and daily exercise had done wonders to her endurance and strength, and she practically felt back to normal. She wasn't fully there, though, and she was tempted to say she was ready to fall asleep right where she was. She wasn't quite there yet, however, and so she stretched lazily, slipping a foot up to kick off one boot, and then manage to shuck off the other. Not far from her, Ezio took up sitting in a chair as he did much the same.

She looked over at him, and smiled. It had been a good day today. Not only had she been able to walk hours on end without needing his aid, she had gotten to race him a little-climbed a wall even. It was harder than she'd like, and she had to sit and rest for a good while before they could make it back to Leonardo's, but it was a vast improvement. She dared to say she would be back to normal in another day or two, which was a relief. She could tell her lover was getting a bit restless staying here, even if it was to help her, but it was for a reason-the aching desire each held for one another. Oh, it was all too obvious what he wanted, and she wanted it just as badly, but he was being careful-gentle. He didn't want to push her too hard and tire her out or even accidentally hurt her, but she knew he was pushing himself to the limit for waiting.

She sometimes wished he would just ignore it.

She knew better, though, and thanked him silently for it. Besides, it gave them more time to do more-so "couple" thing-like the "dates" they'd been going on. Their little walks around the city. She would be lying if she said she didn't love them and each day her heart swelled with joy when they would hold hands or he would wrap his arm around her as they walked. He would even buy her little trinkets-such as the flower in her hair. She smiled at the memory as she sat up and reached for it; gently touching at the white petal. She'd never felt such happiness before, and she hoped it would always be like this-even after they took the next time.

"How do you feel?" Ezio inquired, pulling her from her thoughts.

She looked to him, grinning, "Not bad, actually. I think I'm mostly healed up."

"That's good," he grinned back. "You should be fine for the trip tomorrow then."

"Yeah; and since we'll be on the boat, I'll have more time to recover," she nodded, glancing over to the letter on the nightstand. Fontina had delivered it this morning; a note from Antonio how he'd arranged travel for them out of the city and back home. It was for their own safety, but the only boat available was tomorrow or again in a week, to be decided based on how she felt. With her good to go, they decided to leave tomorrow afternoon. She was honestly happy to hear it-she missed home, and she knew it would do them both good. Not only that, they could finally go see Claudia. They hadn't yet received news of a baby, but it was certain the babe had been born by then. Not to mention they had to share their own good news about finally becoming a couple. Ottavio had a bet to win, after all.

"We should sleep soon then-so you're rested. Shall I leave...?" he inquired, motioning to the door; ever trying to be polite. The last few times Fontina had been here, so he had to get out or face her wrath. Catherine's first instinct was to say yes, but she stopped before she spoke. She bit her lip briefly, considering for a moment, but then shook her head.

"No, you can stay. Just don't look," she chuckled with a wink as she stood up and moved to the dresser where her night shirt and trousers were. She glanced over as she undid the buttons of her vest and noted he was looking, but turned away with a snicker. She smiled in kind, and continued on, although the thought of him watching anyways lingered. To her surprise, she found she actually wanted him to stare. The more she pondered on it, the more she realized she'd wanted that for a while, and that it was alright for him to look now-they were a couple after all. Why shouldn't he stare? Why should she be embarrassed? She was his and he was hers, and she'd seen him mostly naked plenty of times. There was nothing wrong.

The notions sparked an idea-one that made her heart race. It made her cheeks flush, and she paused in undressing. She had removed her vest by now, and only her undershirt remained, partially undone. She looked to the mirror; looked to herself. Her mind conjured all sorts of images, and she couldn't help staring at Ezio's reflection in it, too; his back turned to her. She clutched at the fabric, conflicted for a moment, but unable to deny a yearning growing in her. Her abdomen throbbed and tightened with a want she had kept unsatisfied for so long. Perhaps now was finally time to give it some satisfaction.

Catherine exhaled, and didn't realize she'd even been holding her breath. Her resolve didn't waver, though, and she turned to look at the young man. His hair had been loosened after the day's activities, and she could see his shirt was loose, too-half-way undone already no doubt. She swallowed, still a little uncertain, but she moved her legs anyways. She came to stand before him, and there was some satisfaction in seeing his surprise. His eyes flicked downward, taking her in, and then he met her gaze. He said nothing; didn't move. She realized he was letting her decide-letting her choose what to do. Or was he just as curious as to what she was doing? She didn't know if she could answer if he asked, but she moved again, settling herself onto his lap; one hand on his chest; the other on his cheek, rubbing her thumb along his thickening beard. He remained quiet, watching her intently as she did the same. This time she knew for sure he was letting her decide, and her heart raced a little quicker. She twittered between running away and moving forward, so unsure and uncertain and new to everything, yet eager and willing and wanting. In the end, she brought her hands down to his and pulled them to her sides. He didn't need instruction to know to grasp her hips gently, thumb massaging her covered skin.

She looked into his eyes, the dark irises still watching her carefully as he said nothing still. He was waiting for her. Waiting for confirmation. A simple "okay" could have sufficed, but silence lingered and its place, her hands moved to her blouse. She worked the bindings until the last was free and parted, though not completely. Still, her middle and part of her breast was exposed, and she was both nervous and excited, doubly so now. He must have sensed it, because his hands moved slowly from her hips-gingerly making their way up underneath the white fabric. She practically shivered, and breathing suddenly felt difficult. His touch sparked fire on her skin, yet she loved the burn. It was invigorating and the heat flooded everywhere. She wondered if he could feel it, but his eyes were focused on her body now. Yet, she swore she could still see the hunger. She was certain she could feel it in his loins.

His hands ventured inwards, and she must have gasped, because he paused. His eyes flashed to hers, and she blushed shyly. Her gaze dropped, but he stopped any shame with a kiss, deep and loving. It made something burst. Her fingers moved from his shoulders to around his neck, tightening through the loose locks of hair. He responded at once, hands skirting around to press into her back and push her chest to his, deepening the kiss. Many more followed, and then his hands roved along her spine, leaving lingering burn after burn while his mouth left its own scalding marks along her skin and neck. She gasped again, but this time it only seemed to egg him on and his lips moved to her collar, nipping at the tender flesh while a hand ventured to her breast. A sound she'd never made escaped her, and it made him groan in response.

His hands suddenly moved to grasp her rear, but before she could question it, he was standing, and cool air touched her exposed nape only for a second before she felt the soft fabric of sheets on it. Then his mouth was on her again, more passionate and hungry while his hands lifted her leg to his hips and then returned to her sides and chest. They were roaming her skin, as if learning each and every inch of it, while his mouth did the same to hers, and she loved every moment of it. His body pressed into hers, and she could feel he was hard-for her, she realized. She wasn't entirely sure what she felt for it, but the thought excited her and made her own throbbing worse. Made her make more of those sounds-moans, she suddenly knew-and they were needy now.

His hands grasped her shirt, practically ready to rip it off, and a part of her hoped he did. Yet, a second passed, and still it was not gone. His mouth had moved to her neck again, but it paused it in its ministrations. A deep groan came from him, but not like the one from before. No; this was not one of lust, but restraint. Her heart raced with all kinds of questions and worries as he brought his forehead to rest against hers, hands now gently rubbing her sides.

"Gods you are the most fucking beautiful thing I've ever seen...," he rumbled, the strain in his voice palpable. She couldn't hope helping he would stop. The lingering "but" kept her silent, though, watching him; yearning for him. "But you need to be rested for the damn journey..."

"Ezio," she groaned, and she felt his body shift; saw him struggle against himself.

"Catherine, I want to make love to you more than anything right now, but you know the journey was rough getting here... and there could be danger on the way back, too. You need to be as rested as much as possible," he replied, and she wondered if he was telling her or himself. Dammit she wished he wouldn't, though. "But my God, when we are back in Monteriggioni... you are never leaving that bed-not until I have ravaged every perfect inch of you."

Catherine swallowed slowly, "O-Okay."

"And...," he rumbled, reaching back up to grab and tug on her shirt, "you're keeping this off when we're alone from now on."

"I think I can do that," she laughed, which was cut off by a searing kiss. It made her want him to fuck off with his hesitance, but he was right. If they had sex, she would be too exhausted to travel, and although no one seemed to recognize her yet, they might in the future. It was safer to leave tomorrow. Still, she was somewhat disappointed, but she knew this would happen again-as soon as they were home. She looked forward to it.

"Good," he smirked, kissing her roughly again before he, much to her dismay, pulled back and off. The want lingered badly, but she would endure; surviving on the excitement that was to come.

For now, she settled for the young man freeing himself of his own shirt, helping her free herself of her own, and then settling her atop of him as he lay on the bed. He tugged the sheets over them before happily running his hands along her spine again, slowly now, and roving his eyes over her bare skin. The throbbing had subsided, and so she grew a little shy, although she smiled while her cheeks turned red.

"If you keep looking at me like that, I'm going to want to try and make you be bad," she mumbled after a bit.

He made a growl-like sound, "You don't even need to try-you're always a temptation. Now let me look and imagine all the ways I'm going to pleasure you since I have to deny myself the real thing."

"You could just give in."

"Catherine..."

The redhead felt him strain, hands pressing against her back as he fought against himself. She couldn't help grinning wickedly, relishing in the power she had on him. It was exhilarating, and it made her want to be all the crueler, but she refrained-for his sake. And hers, ultimately.

"You probably should have left my shirt on then."

"I am tired of feeling you through cloth. I will not tolerate anything less anymore," he grunted, closing his eyes as he relaxed his hands finally; as if not seeing her was enough.

"Such a needy boy," she chuckled, lying her head down on his chest.

"What do you expect? I've wanted nothing more for some time."

"And we'll both get it soon enough, won't we?" she hummed, and then giggled. "Will you even make it to your room?"

"Our clothes might not, but your first time will be in my bed. I will not let you have any less than you desire. But now stop tempting me, woman! We won't make it to the ship tomorrow if you don't," he hissed, opening his eyes to grab the candle from the night stand and blow it out, encompassing them in darkness. He settled his hands on her lower back.

She snickered, "Sorry. I like teasing you."

"And I am going to punish you dearly for it, kitty-'Cat."

"For once, I look forward to punishment."

"Good. Now sleep, or I really will be unable to resist," he groaned, and she heard his head fall back against the pillow. She laughed lightly as she leaned up to give a quick kiss-she was tempted to make it a deep one to ignite that passion again, but she resisted-and settle down.

"I can't wait to be back home," she said instead, and he hummed with agreement. She smiled to herself as she finally closed her eyes, giving him peace. Her mind, however, ran wild with the memory of moments before. It would rage like a wildfire even into her dreams, and she could only hope the journey was quick-she had only just gotten a taste of what could be, and now she was starving for more.

Oh, indeed. She couldn't wait to get home.

-O-

March 25, 1481

Venice, Italy

"Here, the last of the paintings for the Villa. Give Lady Maria my love?" Leonardo inquired as he handed the medium-sized, sealed painting to Ezio and looked between the young man and Catherine.

The redhead nodded before embracing their friend, "Of course, Leo. She's going to be sad she missed you leaving, but she'll love the new artwork. Not to mention, with you so famous now we'll get a lot of coin for people coming to see the gallery."

"I am happy to be of assistance... ah, but I am sad to see you two leave so soon."

"It won't be for long-a few months at most, by Antonio's guess. Then we'll be back to continue our work here and the fight against the enemy. I imagine we will go back and forth quite a bit," Ezio added, giving the artist an odd one-armed hug as he held the piece of art in the other.

"Well, as you know, you are always welcome here. In fact, I demand a meal together the moment you are back, so you must come here first."

"Sure thing, Leo," Catherine laughed, shaking her head, and then picked up her pack from the ground to sling it over her shoulder. "We'll write like before-give you a heads up this time."

"I look forward to it, but do write before then; I would like to know how you are faring. I know you are doing much better, but..."

"I'm going to keep getting better-promise. I feel really good today, actually, so there you go."

"And the trip back will give more time to recuperate. You have nothing to worry, my friend. I will ensure her safety," Ezio grinned, wrapping his free arm around her waist.

The artist smiled, "I do not doubt it. It is about time you finally returned the favor."

"Hey!"

Catherine laughed, "Alright, alright... we should probably head out. The ship should be leaving in about thirty minutes, and now that we have Leo's gifts and Fontina's supplies, and our trunk is at the port by now... we're good to go."

"She's right-we shouldn't delay," the young man nodded, and looked to Leo once more. "As I can never say enough: thank-you for all you've done, my friend. We will see you again soon."

"I look forward to it. Now, go on. Safe travels for you both... and do try to remember to send me an invitation to the wedding."

The redhead's cheeks turned red, "Leo!"

"Don't worry-my mother would not let me forget," the young man snickered before leading Catherine to the exit. He glanced over, and the grin that had emerged from his snickering widened. He regarded her, head tilted. "What? You are not fond of the idea of marriage?"

She blinked, confused, but then waved at him, "No-I planned to marry one day."

"Shall I just ask you now then?"

Her cheeks flared again, heart racing with both embarrassment-and excitement, she realized. She was incredibly glad they were out on the street now; she wasn't sure having Leonardo fussing about it wouldn't kill her from the confusing mess she was feeling now.

"I-no," she huffed, and when the young man gave her a confused pout, she went on, "It's just-I mean... we just became lovers... or, well, we haven't even had sex yet, but you know what I mean. It's a little... soon to be talking about marriage. How do you know you'll still want to be with me a month from now?"

Ezio laughed at first, causing her embarrassment to grow. She looked away, huffing more, but it was interrupted when she felt his gloved fingers on her cheek. He turned her face towards him, his expression kind; his smile gentle and loving.

"Catherine, I have loved you even before we became lovers, and we've been together for longer still. I won't be falling out of love any time soon-if ever. No; I am sure you are the only woman I will ever need," he hummed, and every syllable made her heart flutter. He grinned again as he went on, "But. If it will ease your fears... I will wait to propose until two months from now instead."

Catherine couldn't help laughing and rolled her eyes, "You cheeky bastard."

"You love me for it," the young man smirked right before giving her a deep, yet somewhat sloppy kiss. He pulled away, rubbing her cheek with his thumb. "Now, come on. The boat will leave without us, and I don't want to have to swim after it."

"Blegh. Me, either," the redhead rumbled, sticking her tongue out with disgust. They began their short walk to the harbor then, walking through the streets with a touch of caution. They didn't wear their Assassin garbs, so the guards shouldn't recognize them. Still, they were careful; the enemy was on the search for a woman clad in a dark hood, so they kept to civilian clothing. They had gone with a bit "higher up" style, Antonio figuring it would look odd for two thieves to have afforded passage to Forlì, as unfortunate as it was realizing the mentality of the city. It was what it was, though, and the thief master had been kind enough to find some they could "borrow". It would do, and it did-guards barely noticed them as they walked through the edges of the crowd with their things. Catherine mostly considered it a stroke of luck that no one seemed to have gotten a good look of her features; otherwise, she would have been screwed. Her hair color and freckles were far too unusual to blend in if a guard looked close.

Luckily for them, they didn't have to deal with it, and with even more luck they would never have to. At least, not for a while. For now, though, they busied themselves with getting their things onto the ship, making sure everything else was there, and then grabbing a good resting spot. They managed to find one unoccupied in the back, and using a blanket, they made a makeshift curtain for some privacy. Ezio, of course, gladly took advantage, and pulled Catherine with him onto their cot, holding her beneath him as he used her chest as a pillow.

The redhead raised a brow a she chuckled, "I can't imagine they're the comfiest considering their size... but they'll do?"

"They more than do, my love. Trust me. You'll see yourself once we get home," he rumbled in reply, nuzzling against her. It was adorable-really, it was. She couldn't help smiling as she ran her fingers through his hair. He purred almost like a kitten. "Mmm... did I mention how I love when you do that?"

"No, I don't think you did... and just what do you have planned when we get home then?" she inquired, brow raised.

"Oh, you'll see, my love. You'll see-along with everything else," he mused, lifting his head to waggle his brow at her.

"Good Lord-what monster did I unleash in you?" Catherine laughed as he leaned up to steal yet another kiss. Briefly, she wondered if the others could hear them. In the next moment when he grinned impishly at her, she realized she didn't care.

"The worst kind, my kitty-'Cat. Don't worry, though; you will not regret it in the slightest," he growled huskily, leaving a trail of pecks along her jawline and then her neck before once against settling his head against her breast.

Heart racing, she purred herself, "I look forward to it. Can't wait to be home now."

"Neither can I. So much awaits."

"With any luck you'll officially be an Uncle, too."

The young man sat up, paused in thought before smiling, "You're right... and just imagine Claudia's face when we tell her about us. Ottavio can win his bet finally."

"Oh my Gooood-is that really still running? I do want to see Claudia's shock, though. Ha! I bet if she's not yet popped she will when she hears we finally confessed," Catherine giggled.

"She just might," Ezio snickered as he slipped off of her, lying on his side. He rest an arm around her waist before nuzzling his head into her hair now. "I now it's barely been a month, but I miss Monteriggioni. I don't know how we'll keep going back and forth."

"I know what you mean. I'm eager to get back... but we'll manage. We have each other, and that's what matters most," she replied gently, reaching over to stroke along his scraggily beard.

"And now I certainly will never let you go... nor let anymore harm come to you. You are mine, Catherine, and I have no intention of letting you go now I have you."

"Same to you, Mr. Romantic," she chuckled, pressing her forehead against him. "I've waited too long to let you out of my grasp... and just to warn you-I'm pretty sure I'm going to be possessive."

"Oh?" he smirked.

"Oh, indeed. Won't let any of those other women even think they have a chance anymore."

"Well, well... who knew my little kitty-'Cat could be so assertive. I like it."

"Yes, well... knowing my man is my man for sure... it makes it easier-and more fun."

"And how will you assert your claim, hmm?"

"I'm sure you'll find out soon enough. I'll surprise you," Catherine winked playfully, and Ezio laughed.

"And here I thought you were the most wonderful creature before we confessed... you really will ruin me."

"It's only payback for how you're going to ruin me."

He smirked, "Fair enough. So... it'll be about a week before we get to Forli. It'd be probably be good for you to rest as much as you can."

"I can't believe I'm saying this: I'm pretty sure I'm going to get tired of resting by the end of this... and, let me guess: I'm going to regret that once we get home because I won't be getting much rest, right?"

His smirk widened, "You know me so well."

"Pfft. I ought to. I've only been having to deal with your ridiculousness for years now."

"Oh, come now. Was I really so terrible?"

"Yes."

"Ouch," he huffed, feigning hurt. "You didn't have to answer so quickly."

"You were terrible, you jerk! You blatantly flaunted women in front of me to make me jealous because you thought it would make me confess to you!" she replied, jabbing an accusing finger at him. He made a face, shrugging as if he had no idea what she was talking about. She raised a brow. "You admitted to it the night we confessed. Leonardo told me what you told him, too."

"What? Ah, dammit, Leonardo! Well, I guess I can't deny I did that... I suppose I was a little terrible. But you made it unbearable! And all those men I had to ward away from you!"

"Yeah, about those men," she hummed, brow raised expectantly.

He raised a brow back, "What? Some of the new recruits or visitors thought they might have a chance at courting you. As I said before, I simply... convinced them otherwise."

"So you said... and I still can't believe you did that," Catherine laughed in the end, shaking her head.

"Just as you will not share me with other women," he began, slinking his arm so he could pull her closer in a possessive way. She loved it, of course, and continued to laugh as he went on, "I will not allow any other man to touch you."

"And here I thought I was going to be awful... you know this means I'm going to go out of my way to try and get their attention so you'll do just that, right?"

"Must you?" he sighed with mock-exasperation.

"Yes."

He hummed thoughtfully before stealing a kiss, "Then I shall simply never let you leave my bed."

"I'll escape-just to give you trouble."

"I'll hunt you down and bring you back."

"And I'll just escape again and again. Just to make you jealous. To make up for all the times you did it to me."

"Dammit, woman..."

"Sure you still love me?"

"I am sure... that I am going to make you pay dearly for every moment you make me jealous," he growled huskily into her neck, voice low and chest rumbling. It excited her, as dumb as that might have been, and she couldn't help grinning mischievously.

"I expect nothing less."

He huffed suddenly, "If I had known how ruthless you would be so ruthless and cunning, I would have better prepared myself against your wiles."

"And where's the fun in that, hmm?" Catherine smirked as she played with some strands of his hair.

"I suppose not much," Ezio replied, shrugging slightly, and then pulled back to regard her for a moment or two. "How am I to survive this boat ride with you?"

"Oh, I'm sure you'll manage. I promise I won't be so bad until we're back home. How's that?" she chuckled.

"My gratitude, kitty-'Cat."

"I am going to be a little bad, though. Just a little."

Ezio only groaned, and she laughed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.1K 3.4K 32
Ezio Auditore da Firenze; a Florentine Nobleman turned assassin after the death of his father and two brothers. A seducer of women, playful, possessi...
27K 1K 55
"A crow cawed as black feathers fell around me. My eyes landed on a blonde woman in a priestess robe, a dangerous aura surrounding her as she stepped...
3.7K 83 8
The past stays in the past. But now, it has to be undone. People from the past must now come back and train the new generation. These people were ver...
535 29 19
His cockiness was going too much, I'll have to destroy his perfectly made face later. "We'll be just partners in this mission. Nothing more." He smir...