Avondale: The Golden Door

By AEVanSell

Avondale is an island a world away from us. It's people were once bonded as brothers, but centuries of prejud... More

Prologue
The Castle of Aberdeen
Silver City
Welcome To Avondale
The Eye of Nīrina
Jinī Island
Clan Maretu
The Council
Hattu Makkalu
Nisvārtha Shade
Tale hādu
Doubt
City of Rivers
Lord Śārk
Miscalculated
Flight
The Drake War
The Shell of Time
The Golden Door
The Tale of Autumn
Grey Rock City
Trouble On The South Road
Warlord Kappu
Tārc Victor
Editing Announcement!
Run, Run, Run, As Fast As You Can
The Gods of Avondale
The Hunt
Something Missed
Curious
Storm
Dragon Spine Temple
Secrets
Master Garuda
Fever
The Kiss of Change
Unexpected
Enter The Dragon
Myājik's Day
Sequel!
Editing....again

Hunted

205 9 2
By AEVanSell

The last thing I remember was everyone fighting. Havala was bleeding and controlling a wave of water she seemed to have summoned from the river. Then everything started to tip and spin before going black.

Now I could feel hard-packed ground at my back, my wings were gone but my body hurt all over. Someone was gently calling my name, pleading me to wake up in a soft tone. I wasn't totally sure of the voice, but I assumed it was Sanna. I felt a smile spread on my face and I opened my eyes. But instead of the slit, yellow eyes of my friend, I was met with the deep violet gaze of Nisvārtha Shade.

I frowned and sat up with a groan, holding my throbbing head. "How long was I out?"

"Not even half an hour," he grunted. "But the real question is have you completely lost your mind?"

I looked at him, so not in the mood for his attitude. "I beg your pardon?"

"You could not manage to control yourself for fifteen minutes? Insulting the Warlord? Threatening him? Freeing one of his prisoners?"

"I told the truth you arrogant bastard!" I snapped. "That git was a coward and I wasn't about to let him kill people because it made him feel like a man."

Nisvārtha growled, "And what of the prisoner?"

I growled back, "What of him? He helped us, and he didn't belong down there."

"And you are judging this on what? Do not tell me you are so naive to have believed him."

I groaned in frustration, "He was telling the truth, Nisvārtha!"

"You can't possibly know that, Kendra." Nisvārtha said with a sigh, like I was some fool lass who had bought into a scam.

I was about to give a snarky reply in turn when Suruli landed next to us. The Hunters are approaching, she said gravely.

I had no idea what that meant, but everyone else did. Sanna muttered a word I didn't know like it was a curse, Havala moaned in despair, and Śarat readied herself for takeoff.

When I looked back at Nisvārtha, he had shifted and was giving me a frustrated look.

I stuck my tongue out at him before climbing on his back, whoever these Hunters were, their presence obviously did not bode well for us.

Everyone took to the sky, even Sanna. The three who had wings flew at amazing speeds through the canyons of Grey Rock. On our way to the city we had walked along the tops of these great rips in the earth, but now we flew through them, twisting and turning through the labyrinth of rock. I held on with all of my strength so I wouldn't fall off, and after my wee nap my strength had returned, but my body still hurt and my headache refused to wane.

Who are these Hunters? I asked.

I heard Nisvārtha sigh, Even after the Drake War ended, some still thirsted for the blood of my kind. These people, mostly wyrms and wyverns, formed a band of hunters, intent on killing every last drake.

I bit my lip, Do you think someone recognized you while you were shifted?

No, he said. No civilian would have bothered getting close enough, and if I had been recognized by a civilian, I doubt they would have gone through the trouble of summoning the Hunters.

Then who?

Kappu, Nisvārtha growled. After we left he must have send word to them.

Bloody coward, I hissed. Then I remembered something. How could he have known? I asked. He never saw you shift.

Yes, but he must have recognized my name. Shade was my family's name, before the war my grandparents were close personal friends of the Myājik, and during those five-hundred years my parents played pivotal roles in the outcome of the war.

Before I could ask another question, I was forced to hold tighter than ever. Nisvārtha flew through a maze of twists and turns so tight that I could have touched the canyon walls had I not valued my fingers. Finally we soared out of the canyons and headed straight for the rocky crevices of the mountain range, the sun was gone, extinguished in the sea far to the west.

I loosened my grip by a hair and looked behind me, Gash Canyon was not visible from here, and my eyes quickly searched the sky and ground for any pursuit.

I don't see anyone following us. I said.

It is likely that the Hunters went to the city first and gave us a slight head-start, Nisvārtha said. Though I doubt they will be pleased with Warlord Kappu when they find we were released because of a fledgling girl. His tone was amused as he said this and I smiled.

So am I forgiven? I taunted, holding back chuckles at the stubborn drake.

Perhaps, but I still insist that your actions were foolish and impulsive. His tone remained light and teasing despite the resurfacing of our argument. How could you have been so sure that Tārc could be trusted?

I frowned and listened to his song as it played through my head. I have my ways. I was nowhere near ready to share what I heard, I knew too little about it.

And what are these ways?

I racked my brain for anything I could say that would make him leave it be. You said all drakes are born with a gift, I said quickly. What gift were you given?

When he answered his tone was stiff and cold, That is an incredibly personal question.

Exactly, I said, ending the discussion.

* * * *

When the sky was dark and the moon hanging high, we finally stopped and made camp. It wasn't much of a camp though, a fire was too noticeable and the only "sheltered" area we could find lacked protection from the icy winds that were coming from the south.

I was curled up next to Śarat, her wing shielding me from most of the wind. On the other side of me was Sanna, resting his head on my frozen feet and occasionally giving me concerned glances with those yellow eyes.

I just ran my fingers through his mane and leaned against Śarat's warm scales. "So what now?" I asked.

I had directed the question at Nisvārtha, but Suruli was the one to reply. We should head for Dragon Spine Temple, she said.

Sanna's ears twitched, Why? I was under the impression that we are now being hunted, Sparrow, or did you forget?

Suruli let out a low hiss, My memory is intact, Briar, and if yours was too you would recall that the temple is a place of sanctuary. Something that we all need right now, especially Kendra.

I tensed, "What do I need sanctuary for?"

Your change is upon us, she said. What happened in the palace is proof.

I rubbed my aching temples, "But I don't even know what happened back there," I looked at the phoenix, "Are you saying you do?"

I think I do, everything is beginning to make sense now. She came and sat closer to me, walking on her hind legs and the thin arms that were built into her wings. You are a phoenix, Kendra.

I sighed, "How can you be sure? The last few times we thought I was a dragon I ended up doing something impossible. What if I'm not a phoenix?"

Suruli shook her head, I am completely sure of this. You grew wings, granted they were in an unusual place, but you have a knack for being unusual. The fire from Nīrina Clan came from when we transform, you remember when I showed you that, yes?

I nodded, still not completely convinced.

And this brings in the ice from Nisvārtha's room as well, she continued. Phoenixes can manipulate the weather as well as the air. Your anger must have triggered a chill, or an attempt at snow, and froze the room.

I sighed and looked at everyone else. "What do the rest of you think?"

Havala spoke up from the other side of Śarat, also keeping close to her warmth. "Your temper fit better with wyrms, but those wings are a deal breaker."

Śarat agreed and Nisvārtha continued to stay silent and avoid my eyes.

Sanna sighed, Suruli is probably right about Kendra, but I still do not understand why we must head for the Temple. It would be a shorter journey back to the Eye and one of the many Wizards there could train Kendra.

The way to Dragon Spine Temple may be more difficult, Nisvārtha finally spoke, his tone firm but empty. But that also will make it more difficult for the Hunters to track us. Whatever head start we gained tonight will be used best in reaching the temple where, as Suruli said, we may ask for sanctuary.

Sanna sighed again, Must we all go?

Nisvārtha's eyes flashed and he growled, Yes, Sanna. Because should anyone head for home and get themselves caught, the Hunters will torture you until you break. That puts everyone in danger. His ears were flat against his head, We will fly for The Spine in the morning, am I understood?

No one objected so Nisvārtha went silent once more, his eyes closing and his head tucking under his wing.

I let out an exhausted yawn before I began freeing my hair from its tattered braid. When we had been captured by the Warlord's men, they had taken our sacks of supplies, so the only the things we had were the clothes we had been wearing. This meant I was stuck in my shirt and tunic, both of which had large tears down my back from my wings. Sanna had been able to grow some small thread-like plants and sew together the rips, but I still had little protection from the cold. As a solution, Havla and I both had donned Śarat and Suruli's clothes, the extra layer helped like a blanket.

I stretched out on the ground wedged between Suruli and Sanna, the heat from them both quickly making me sleepy.

It's alright Sanna, I said, keeping my Tale hādu just between me and him. Being afraid to fly is nothing to be ashamed of.

Who said I was afraid?

I chuckled, Your lack of subtlety did, you wally.

He sighed, Is it really that obvious?

Plain as the nose on your face, Briar. I teased, but then composed myself. It really is okay to be afraid, though flying isn't that bad once you get used to it.

Sanna huffed, Easy for you to say, you were born to fly, I was born to stay on the ground, we are not the same.

That's a load of tripe, Sanna. I was raised on the ground, learning that I do not posses the ability to fly on my own. Flight is uncharted territory for us both, which makes us the same.

I felt his body shift and I opened my tired eyes to see him looking at me, his yellow eyes almost glowing in the dark.

My clan taught me that fear is weakness, he said, his Tale hādu somber.

I smiled kindly, No, your fear is wise. Weakness would be running from your fear instead of facing it.

I still do not wish to go, I still wish to return home...does that make me weak?

I shook my head and closed my eyes once more, Nonsense, you're still here aren't you?

Sanna chuckled, So I am. Goodnight, Sūrya, sleep well.

I was asleep before I could respond.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

385 30 9
Dangers outside of the peaceful town of Greyland, and start to seep its very cracks, especially for Paige, her family and her friends as they find ou...
Healer By Alicia

Historical Fiction

260K 15.9K 34
Two very different worlds. Two very different men. And one woman who has to choose between the life that she knew and the one that lies ahead... ...
335 73 12
2021 UPDATE: Please read my message board! Soldier got separated from her siblings during birth. She doesn't know that she lives with a witch and tha...
313 54 30
I lived in the grand city of Torino. We survived the Second World War, tyranny and gain freedom to rebuild a glorious town. My family was at the cen...