Hers | ✔ | (Editing)

By nadia__writes

❝I know love can be as pointless as it is to Nancy, and perhaps even as revolting as it is to Bill Sikes, but... More

Hers
00| Elysian
01| Orphic
02| Eccedentesiast
03| Kalon
04| Mauerbauertraurigkeit
05| Epiphany
06| Froward
07| Selcouth
08| Monachopsis
09| Illecebrous
10| Petrichor
11| Diaphonous
12| Lagom
13| Philocaly
14| Frisson
15| Abditory
16| Brumous
17| Haimish
18| Atychiphobia
19| Limerence
20| Collywobbles
21| Basorexia
22| Feuillemort
23| Querencia
24| Amaranthine
25| Lacuna
26| Aquiver
27| Commuovere
28| Adamantine
Author's Note
29| Redamancy
30| Kilig
31| Baisemain
32| Hiraeth
33| Eunoia
35| Zweisamkeit
36| Epilogue
37| Balter
One Shot Competition!
Deadlines & FAQ's!
Tomorrow!
One Shot Results!
38| Sirimiri
Prequel Is Up!
39| Latibule

34| Demure

12.8K 643 843
By nadia__writes

3 4

D e m u r e 

  /dɪˈmjʊə/ 

(adj.) reserved and shy.

  ●●●   

I'm scared because I care.

●●●  

Aaron couldn't quite ponder on what happened.

It was hard thinking straight when he could still feel his heart in his throat and his brain frenzying to find answers on why his father wanted to have a word by tomorrow morning.

Rose was quiet too; her eyes drowsily focused on the necklace that hung down Aaron's neck. He knew it intrigued her when he first slept without his shirt – It's hot, do you mind? – and it was the first thing her eyes snapped to.

It has been a while since he'd worn the silver chain, but he remembered to before they left for Ontario.

Her brown eyes were so soft. "What does this mean?" Her fingers were softly tracing the pendant that hung on the silver chain; a capital J, along with a capital R that were just beside each other.

He remembered getting the R right after he realized he loved Rose. "Initials," He told her simply, a small smile on his lips.

"Initials?" Rose's eyebrows were furrowed, but Aaron could make out the specks of amusement in her eyes. "J for James," Aaron nodded, and she was smiling now, and there was just something about her voice that made Aaron's chest heave in delight. "And R..."

"Who do you think?"

A cheeky smile bloomed on her lips, but the tinge of pink brushed across her cheeks. "Ron Weasley?"

Aaron grinned, shaking his head. "Try again."

"Fictional or real?"

"For fuck's sake Rose, fictional characters will always be real to me."

She laughed. "Point taken." Rose went into thought again. "Is it Regulus Black?"

"Rose," Aaron was laughing now, amused. "It's a real person."

"Really?" Her eyes were still in thought, but they were drowsy. "I can't think straight. My feet hurt and I am tired."

"She is an obvious choice," Aaron told her, a small smile gracing his lips. "You know her very well actually."

"Let me think," Rose's eyes were indeed getting drowsy. Aaron could almost see Hogwarts hiding in the specks of her iris. "Me?"

Aaron laughed. "Of course it would be you," He could feel her trace the pendant; a soft hue of brown settling in her eyes. Aaron almost thought he was looking at something that only existed in dreams. "It could only ever be you." He murmured, smiling when Rose's eyes started to droop.

"You always find a way to make my heart smile, Aaron," Rose sleepily mumbled, already nuzzling her head in the crook of his neck. "It scares me sometimes."

Aaron kissed the top of her head. "Just like how you make mine's smile."

She smiled one last time before her eyelids veiled her shimmering irises, and Aaron could've sworn he saw the glimmer of unshed tears. And he was right when he noticed a lonely tear drop down her cheek.

He rubbed it away with his thumb before kissing her forehead, a small prayer whispering itself against his lips before he tried to fall asleep for the third time that night.

●●●

He woke up alone.

And Aaron was curious at first; Rose was a heavy sleeper, and it confused him on how in the world was she able to get only two and a half hours of sleep and got up without grumbling first.

He got up too; trying to ignore the slight panic that squeezed his chest, and instead, walked right out of his room. Aaron checked the bathroom, and when he saw that there was no sign of Rose there, he hurriedly walked to the kitchen.

And there she was.

Still in his shirt and her blonde locks in an unruly bun; Rose was washing the dishes like it was the last thing she was going to do. Aaron could make out the jitters of her elbows and the clatters of her knees as she stood, and he could almost feel a weight stab itself in his chest.

He walked to her, almost smiling when he saw the ring he gave her safely tucked away on a napkin just away from any moisture. "Hey," He told her quietly, almost grinning when he saw Rose jump.

Her eyes instantly relaxed when she met Aaron's own, a tired smile tingling her lips. "Hey," Her voice was quiet, almost drained. "I didn't think you'd be up this early."

One of his hands went to her shoulder. "I could say the same to you." Aaron tried not to look at the blue shadows under Rose's eyes too much. "What's wrong?" He murmured, taking her face in his hands. "You're never up this early."

"Just nervous I guess," Rose's laugh came out more like a choked sob. "I needed to distract my mind."

"So you wash the dishes?"

"Cold water soothes troubled nerves."

"There's a maid to do that you know? Just letting you know."

"I know," Rose smiled slightly. "I told her to get an hour more of sleep."

Aaron smiled, proud. "How chivalrous of you."

Rose laughed nervously. "It was nothing."

His thumb brushed against her lips. Only then did Aaron notice her chipped nail polish was almost gone. "I'm nervous too." He gave her a small smile. "How about I help you with this big mess?"

Rose shook her head dismissively. "You don't have to do this with me. I can manage on my own."

Aaron smiled. "I want to,"

She smiled back. "Then let me get some more dish washer."

For the next half an hour, Aaron and Rose managed to clean all the dishes; Rose quietly rinsing the dishes while Aaron dried them with a clean wash cloth they found. It was mostly quiet at first, and Aaron understood. Half way through, Aaron took the rinsing and Rose was the one drying. They worked quietly and quickly, and when the dishes were done, Rose didn't look any better.

The circles under her eyes were now pronounced, and the slouch in her shoulders made Aaron feel a pain from the base of his throat to the back of his lungs.

He huddled her into a hug and kissed her forehead. "Let's do something to make you relax." Rose only closed her eyes. "How about an at home manicure?"

Rose cracked a small smile. "You can't even hold a paint brush right."

"But painting a wall and painting a nail are completely different things aren't they?"

The sparkle that Aaron missed so much was slowly gleaming itself back into Rose's eyes. "I don't want to get messy." She told him.

"And you won't," He reassured her, grinning. "How bad can it be?"

●●●

"Wait, it says here that we need to use a base coat and – oh, God."

Aaron looked up at her sheepishly. "Too much?"

Rose's finger was basically dripping in base coat – Rose was even more horrified when she found out it was actually top coat – and all Aaron could do was look at the shock he managed to put in her eyes. "I didn't think it would go this bad."

"I told you I didn't know how to do it."

"So you can take AP Calculus, braid hair, pass Chemistry, and you don't know how to put nail polish on?"

"It's harder than it looks okay," Aaron grumbled in protest. "Being enclosed to only the perimeter of your cuticle sounds revolting and scary."

Rose actually let out a laugh as Aaron started painting her nails a pastel pink – her personal choice – "You even find conditioner revolting."

"Don't talk to me about conditioner, Christ."

Rose was grinning. Aaron could see the stars settle back in her eyes and the light glow from her face. He never knew a manicure could ever make this much of a difference. "It helps," She told him. "It makes my hair all smooth."

"Well it makes my hair feel like grease," Aaron said, squinting down at her fingers as he applied the varnish. "For fuck's sake, I can't even stay in the lines."

He could feel Rose rest her head on the pillow. "It's never easy the first time," She said, casting him a glance. "Takes practice."

Aaron just grumbled at yet another smear of nail polish he let get at the corner of her finger. "Why do girls even do this?" He muttered. "Some nail polishes look like nail mutations and cuticle decay."

Rose snorted. "It feels nice, and it makes our hands look pretty." She reasoned, and Aaron could see the grimace she was trying to hold in. "If done correctly of course," She added.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That every girl should get her nails done by you."

"That's my girl."

It took longer than anticipated; Aaron's eyes solemnly focused on Rose's cuticles as she hummed a song to herself, glancing at her nails every now and then as Aaron's own hands shook.

He has never applied nail polish on a girl, or anyone for that matter, but there was just something so intimate about brushing on a coat of nail polish on Rose's fingers; knowing that whenever she would look at her fingers, she would remember him.

The thought made his hands even shakier.

"You're concentration on such a simple task is quite impressive," Rose told him, giving him a smile. "You look like you're going to pass out."

"I don't want to mess this up," Aaron told her, wincing yet again as the brush accidently smeared to the edges of her nail. "I need to concentrate."

Aaron glared at her when she purposely swung her finger around, but it was hard to, seeing how the grin on Rose's face was so playful.

"You're being aggravating again," Aaron told her.

"Who even uses aggravating in conversation anymore?"

"Are we really going to go through this again?"

And while she laughed, she let Aaron smear another splotch of the baby pink across her finger.

"You're messing my nails up," Rose told him, and Aaron could hear the slightest octave of amusement swirled in her tone of annoyance. "I'm sure your parents would love this."

"My parents," Aaron said, concentrating on the nail he was polishing. "Absolutely detest messes."

"Well it's a good thing I don't."

Aaron looked up to her and smiled. "That's good to know. I guess that's why you've stayed with me this long."

"Aaron –"

"And why you can live in your bedroom for more than twenty four hours."

"..."

"..."

"How dare you."

The grin on her lips was soft; the gentle crinkles around her eyes made Rose look almost like a fragment of Aaron's imagination come to life. And maybe she was.

Because Aaron always thought someone like Rose only belonged in dreams; bathed in seamless imagination and wrapped in whispered wishes.

"You know it's true," He told her, quirking an eyebrow. It was no secret that Aaron loved Rose's room just as much as he loved Harry Potter. There was always a subtle kind of intimacy whenever he entered it; knowing that Rose spent her time in there.

"Partially," Rose muttered, and Aaron moved onto another finger. "But it is exactly that messy."

He gave her a glance. "Whatever you say." It was hard hiding his smile.

"Hey, at least we can see the floor okay."

"I never said we didn't."

Aaron was almost done with her right hand. "You were thinking it," Rose said, and just as Aaron was on his last stripe of nail polish, Rose moved her pinky finger.

"You little minx," Aaron muttered, sending an annoyed look to Rose – to which she smiled brightly to.

He tried fixing her pinky, but somehow, it ended up looking worse. Sighing, Aaron moved on to Rose's left hand. Her ring glimmered in the right, and Aaron could feel his own elbow tremble.

The ring was somehow like a physical reminder that he and Rose were bound together. The thought made Aaron's face hot all of a sudden.

Rose was watching him curiously; a small grin on her lips whenever Aaron got out of the perimeter of her cuticles, and she was almost amused over his agitated grumbles.

"We're almost done with The Order of the Phoenix," She told him, and it always made his heart twitch whenever they were almost done with one book. "Only a hundred or so pages left."

He looked up to her. "Will you cry?" Aaron was now painting her ring finger, and he could feel his heart go Tick – tick.

"Of course I will," Rose said, and even then, Aaron could've sworn he saw the slightest gleam of tears shine through her eyes. "I think you will too."

Aaron quirked an eyebrow. "Me? Cry? No." He told her, grinning slightly. "Not yet, anyway,"

"So you did cry!" Rose laughed, and Aaron sent her a look when she twitched her finger. "Sorry, just got excited."

He pursed his lips. "In knowing I can feel human emotions?"

"Of course," Rose beamed. "We can cry together now."

Aaron merely shrugged.

Once he was done with Rose's hands – Thank God that's over, how do girls do this all the time – it was already half past four and Rose was showing no signs of going back to sleep.

"You don't need to come if you don't want to," Aaron told her softly, sending her a reassuring smile. "I can have breakfast delivered to you in our room."

Rose shook her head, and she smiled, but Aaron could see the tension in her eyes. "I guess it's just that I wasn't expecting it. I wouldn't want to leave you there all alone anyway,"

Aaron smiled at her. "It's alright if you do. I would understand."

"Well, I wouldn't. I will hate myself for it."

"Just relax," He told her, fondling her cheek with his thumb. "I don't want you to do anything you're not comfortable doing Rose, and if it means me going down to breakfast alone in the morning, then so be it." Aaron's voice was soft; almost like a whispered prayer. "You've already done so much for me, and I cannot thank you for the bravery you've done when you first stepped foot here." He smiled again. "I'd understand Rose, I wouldn't get mad. And you shouldn't either."

Rose closed her eyes and let a breath release itself from her chest. Aaron hated the fact that her shoulders were slumped down because of the weight she was carrying in her chest, and he hated the fact that there was nothing he could do about it and he hated hated hated

"I'm scared," Rose told him, her voice a trembling whisper. "What if they do something to you and I cannot change it and –"

Aaron kissed her.

"You don't need to worry about all that," He whispered, leaning his forehead against hers. He could feel her fingers come to his shoulders, and the nail polish was smearing to his hairline, but somehow, it didn't matter. "We'll handle it together. I promise."

She smiled at him, but Rose looked exhausted. "And there goes my nails."

Aaron cracked a grin. "I guess we have to start from scratch."

●●●

They ended up falling asleep.

While Aaron was sloppily reapplying Rose's nail varnish with sleep rimmed around his eyes, Rose was lying her head on the pillow, and when she turned, Aaron noticed her eyes were already closed.

And somehow, Damien bursting into the room didn't faze either of them. Aaron just groggily nodded, and Rose barely stirred.

"What is that?"

Aaron only then noticed how the nail polish got everywhere. On the bed sheets, the side of his face. Even Rose's forearms were coated in a thin layer of pastel pink, and Aaron didn't even want to think of his pants.

"Isn't it bloody obvious?" Aaron mumbled, rubbing his eyes with his nail polish free hand. "It's nail polish you idiot."

Damien rolled his eyes, a tick moving along his jaw. "I am aware you bloody fool. And do you know what time is it?"

"What?"

"Quarter past seven."

"..."

"..."

"Shit."

A grin bloomed on Damien's mouth. "Finally back to your senses." He adjusted the hem of his shirt. He obviously changed out of his pajamas, while Aaron had baby pink etched on about a quarter of his body.

Damien turned for the door. "See you in fifteen minutes little brother."

The bang of the door made Rose's eyes peel open. She too, rubbed her eyes with her nail polish infested hand. She peered at Aaron, and almost laughed at the pink stained on his shirt. "You look appealing in pink."

The shock hasn't quite settled in Aaron yet, but he smiled nevertheless. "I can say the same thing to you."

Rose's eyes widened as she inspected the cotton candy mess around her, but with a small sigh, she asked. "What time is it?"

Aaron gave her a wry smile. "Quarter past seven."

He could see the surprise plant itself in Rose's eyes, but it eventually subsided to mere boredom. "Is my hair alright?"

"A bit pink, but yes. It really brings out your eyes."

Rose grinned, and just adjusted her shirt before rustling out of bed. She stretched a bit before she shot Aaron a smile. "You're coming for breakfast or what?"

And Aaron could feel his heart sour past Jupiter.

He smiled big at Rose before getting up and running a hand through his hair as an attempt at taming his brown locks. Neither of them bothered to wipe off or scratch away any of the pink nail polish that stuck on their bodies. They even seemed to ignore the lumpy molds of baby pink that were dripping down their arms and fingers.

The breakfast table was as posh as it always was; white plates with multiple golden utensils that Aaron could never get right, with a few candles giving the room a bit more elegance. The food was served precisely on the table; decorating the room with an aroma of comfort food and homemade bread.

Aaron could hear Rose's stomach grumble. He looked at her and grinned. "Someone's hungry."

She shrugged. "Keeping up with you can be tiresome."

There was still roughly ten minutes to spare, and Rose insisted that she and Aaron helped along with setting up the table.

It wasn't a shock to Amanda – the house cook was already so familiar with Rose's heart of gold that Aaron doubted he has ever seen her eyes sparkle since she started working here – but the rest of the maids and butlers insisted that Rose should be off relaxing while they did the work.

"I'm bored," She told them simply. "And an extra pair of hands are never a bad thing."

The servants and butlers gave a bow in acknowledgement to Aaron, to which he returned with a smile as he balanced even more plates on his arms to put on the table. Rose was busy too, tasting the small samples of food Amanda would offer has as she stirred her own pot of sizzling food – Umm Miss Rose, what is that pink stuff on you and Mr. Aaron? – while Aaron rested his elbows on the top of Rose's head when he put the toast in the toaster. She quirked an eyebrow at him – Really Aaron? – as she buttered the toast after they were done.

Rose's eyes looked almost like the syrup she brought out alongside the pancakes, and it was hard for Aaron to slice some apples open, knowing Rose looked ethereal – he got a small cut for looking too long.

Before they knew it, Aaron and Rose were washing their hands as the crew thanked them gratefully, to which Rose replied with one of her stunning smiles.

"Poor things," Rose said, drying her hands with a paper towel. "Working so early in the morning. Amanda told me she's been up since four am prepping things." She was frowning, and Aaron wanted to kiss away all her troubles.

He shrugged. "I barely ate around here, so don't blame me."

Rose grinned. And he smiled back as he took her hand and led them to eat.

"My parents are probably already there," He whispered to her, and her arms tensed around her sides, but he soothed it out with his fingers.

"I have nail polish on me. I think your parents are the least of my concerns."

Aaron grinned. "That's my girl."

Jonathan and Blair were already seated; placing their cashmere napkins on their laps while Aaron and Rose almost tripped on their way over. Both parents looked up in evident shock; their cold gazes most probably trained on the smears and stains of baby pink on Aaron and Rose.

"Good morning," Rose smiled, taking a seat on one of the chairs. Aaron gingerly sat right beside her. "How are you two doing this morning?"

"Is this some sort of joke to you?" Blair was furious. Aaron could see two dots of red settle on her cheeks. "To be not only tardy but also come in dressed as a pair of lunatics –"

"My deepest apologies, Mrs. DeGarner," Rose told her, and Aaron noticed how Rose wasn't even nervous as she spoke. He smiled at that. "There were a few difficulties along the way." There were a few spots of pink in her hair too.

Blair looked outraged, but Jonathan wasn't even fazed; his eyes were as hostile as they have always been. "Good morning father," Aaron said, matching his own gaze to his old man's. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

Jonathan's lips settled into a thin line. He took a small bite of his scrambled eggs. "I might ask you the same thing," His blue eyes glittered with ice. "What are you doing here, Aaron?"

His voice was soft and gentle, but he could feel Rose flinch at the command in his voice. Aaron was used to it by now, but he could feel his heart turn inside out. He took her fingers underneath the table. "I came here for James," Aaron answered calmly, staring straight into his father's eyes. And for some reason, with Rose beside him, he could feel this power emit from the depths of his chest. "Someone should, considering the two of you love your work more than your own children." He blurted it out before he could even stop himself.

Blair dropped her fork.

Her green eyes were brimmed with rage. "How dare you –"

Jonathan's stare only sharpened. "James has been looked after better than you have looked after yourself Aaron," He took a sip of his tea. "I wonder why." Aaron knew what his father was doing; the subtle oblivious dip in his voice made Aaron realize what was going on.

"I see," Aaron said. "I am here to talk about me."

Jonathan's lip twitched. "It's good to see you're catching on."

"Father, with all due respect, I'd rather have you put me in jail than having this conversation with you," Aaron replied, and just then Damien made his entrance; almost breathless.

"Sorry...I'm...late." He said, panting rather severely and Aaron could see Rose give him a quizzical look. To which of course, Damien replied with a wink.

Jonathan and Blair seemed unfazed by his appearance; wrinkled dress shirt and an undone tie, Damien looked like he just finished a twenty two hour shift. "Good morning," Damien said, and he even looked a bit nervous when no one replied.

"You know putting you in jail would be just as easy as letting you leave this house," Jonathan said, clasping his palms. "It's not an issue."

"We are not discussing on this topic any further," Aaron's eyes snapped to his brother, almost baffled on how his tone held no room for discussion. Even Blair seemed taken aback. Damien's eyes were narrowed. "I quite clearly remember how Aaron has always been the favourite child, so seeing you discuss about sending him to jail is absolutely sickening."

Blair's eyes turned teary. "Damien he was never a favourite –"

"Mother," Damien's tone held sharpness. "What if I told you I want to quit my job?"

"You can't!" Jonathan bellowed, outraged. "You are the CEO!"

"It isn't fair," Damien was smiling, but there was something shifting in his eyes. Aaron was too stunned to talk. He didn't know whether Damien was acting, but if he was, he was doing an incredible job. "Aaron called quits and you let him go."

"He made a mistake!" Blair screeched, her green eyes ignited with such raw fury and desperation that Aaron doubted he never saw his mother like that before. "He was supposed to continue as he was asked!"

"Is it so wrong that he didn't?"

It was Rose, her voice so quiet that the whole table stunned into silence. She was watching curiously, and Aaron felt her give their fingers a squeeze.

Blair became even angrier. "You can't talk to me on how I raise my children when you can't even dress properly." Her eyes hardened on Rose. "You're not even supposed to be here."

Rose's eyes became stronger; like the wood of her eyes ignited into flames. "Aaron is my boyfriend," Aaron has to count to twenty for his heart to beat back to normal. "His problems are mine too."

"Is that what we are too you?" Blair seethed, small wisps of blonde hair falling out of her bun as she looked at Aaron. "A problem?"

"More of an inconvenience, but whatever floats your boat."

"Aaron," It was Jonathan now, and only then did it dawn on Aaron that James wasn't here.

When Aaron trained his eyes on James' empty seat, Damien sent him a small nod, a clear indication of James is fine, relax. Aaron let out a small sigh of relief – at least James was alright.

"You caused this –" Blair pointed an accusing finger at Aaron, appalled. "– this disruption in our family. You tore us apart."

"We were never together to begin with Mother," Aaron said, surprised on how his voice came out like a concealed confession.

Blair's cheeks turned redder, but it was Jonathan that spoke. "Not only did you disgrace our family name, but you disrespect us in our own home."

"He didn't disgrace the family name Mr. DeGarner, he brought honor to it."

Rose was fierce now; the ember burning through her eyes into the frozen ice of Jonathan's. Even though there was baby pink practically all over her, she radiated this power; as though she unleashed the fire inside her.

Aaron thought she was the most beautiful person he has ever seen.

"Just because he wanted different doesn't mean he deserves this," Rose said, her voice getting louder. "Are you listening to yourselves? You hold this – this grudge against Aaron because he chose to be happy. To be free." Her tone sounded like someone of authority, and perhaps that was why Jonathan was listening with his eyes narrowed and Blair's cheeks practically magenta now. "You are the disgrace to your family name."

Blair and Jonathan looked like they just got slapped in the face.

Damien smiled at Rose, and Aaron didn't know how to describe the feeling that bloomed from his chest all the way to the tips of his toes. It was like all good feelings bundled up into one.

It was the one flaw in their system; a virus in the database. Aaron didn't agree like he should've, he didn't openly accept what they wanted for him. Because little children don't care whether it's Dior or Chanel – all they cared about was that it was beautiful enough to keep. And Aaron was one of them. He wanted books instead of a thousand suits; words instead of a title he would never earn for himself.

Blair sent deathful glares at Rose, while Jonathan clenched his jaw. "Get out. Both of you. Get out."

Rose smiled as she got up, the specks of pink now clearly visible in the ends of her hair. "Good day!" She chirped as Aaron grinned. She then led them out of the room, and Aaron could've sworn he heard his mother's scream of frustration.

And one look at Rose and the pair were giggling behind the closed door; Rose's eyes squeezed shut as melodious laughs slipped past her lips and Aaron could feel his stomach ache in delight.

He wrapped an arm around her waist. "Look who just pulled about a hundred hexes all at once."

Rose grinned. "I must admit, it just slipped out."

Aaron bent down to kiss Rose's forehead. "Thank you," He said softly, engulfing her small frame in a hug. "You were absolutely wonderful."

Aaron could feel Rose wrap her arms around his shoulders as he lifted her, and her legs simultaneously wrapped around his waist while Rose let out a squeal. "Aaron!" She practically shrieked as he started walking, her clinging onto the black shirt he was wearing.

A satisfied grin ticked Aaron's lips. "It's like a roller coaster ride for free Rose,"

She laughed at that, but was back at gripping his sides when he started walking a little faster. "But it's scary, I feel like I might fall down any moment."

"Do you honestly think I'd let you fall and not catch you?"

Rose grinned at him. "Shut up you goofball and let me down."

"Or else what?"

"Or else..." Rose trailed off, and Aaron grinned. "I'll hide your Harry Potter books."

"You wouldn't."

"Oh," Rose half raised her eyebrows. "What makes you say that?"

"You won't be able to reach them."

Her lips were in a thin line now. "I might just set the whole shelf on fire."

"Are you hearing yourself?"

Aaron's panicked voice made Rose grin, and he could feel her leave a kiss to his jaw. "Where are we off to anyway?"

"To get this gunk off us," Aaron muttered, darkly glancing at the pastel pink that clashed against his black shirt. "I look like a unicorn."

"Unicorns don't carry people up without permission."

"You're right. Next time I should let you carry me."

Rose laughed, her hair lightly tickling Aaron's neck. "Maybe I will make a wand out of you."

"But I'm not even a unicorn."

"Eleven and a half inch, Aaron core," Rose said. "Not even Voldemort can be able to remove the pink stains on it."

Aaron laughed so hard he almost dropped Rose.

"Jesus," Aaron could feel tears on the corner of his eyes. "How do you even think of that stuff?"

"I don't know," Rose replied, and Aaron was only a few steps away from the bathroom. "It just pops up in the moment, I guess."

Aaron laughed as he put Rose on the closed toilet seat; smiling as got on his knees and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "What you did today should be in textbooks," Aaron told her. "I never saw their faces like that."

Rose's cheeks glowed pink. "It was nothing," She told him, smiling. "You were pretty cool too. You never give yourself credit."

Aaron smiled gently at her. "I never really considered myself a damsel in distress kind of guy."

Rose grinned. "Good thing I always thought of myself as a knight in shining armor kind of girl."

●●●

They continued reading Prisoner of Azkaban with James in his room; the blonde haired boy actually had breakfast served in his bed, and was told that he shouldn't go downstairs and meddle in between adult talk.

James asked Aaron what it was all about, to which Aaron just shrugged to and said it was no big deal.

Rose was the one reading; James leaning his head on her shoulder while Aaron took joy in the comfort of her voice reading out his favourite books. She did jumble up her words at times – to which Aaron and James laughed at while Rose repeated herself – and it was always something interesting seeing James physically shiver whenever Dementors were mentioned – I think we do have an extra stash of chocolate in the pantry – but beautiful all the same.

When they were on their break, Rose actually phoned her parents while James read some to himself, and Aaron was surprised on the fact that he could hear Helen's voice from her mobile.

"HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO MY SWEET AARON?"

Rose cringed, and Aaron could've sworn he saw her wiggle her phone away from her ear. "Mom calm down –"

"THE AUDACITY THEY HAVE, HE IS PRACTICALLY FAMILY TO US –"

Rose glanced at Aaron, noticing how he was intently watching and let out a nervous chuckle. "We're coming back soon anyway,"

After that, Aaron couldn't hear Helen anymore, but the smile on his face was so big it even made James smile.

"When are you guys leaving?" James asked randomly, flipping a page of the book.

"You mean when we are leaving," Aaron corrected him.

"Yeah whatever, wait –" His eyes seemed so surprised that it pinched Aaron's heart, "what?"

Aaron smiled. "I'm not leaving you here alone for summer."

James eyes glimmering with glossy tears. "You mean that?" Even his voice became shaky.

Aaron nodded, still smiling. "Of course I do," He ruffled James' blonde hair. "Rose and I talked about it."

James looked like a thousand stars lit up in his eyes. "Really?"

Aaron nodded once more. "You'll be staying with me for the summer."

James looked anxious now; the worry strained on his lips. "Do Mum and Dad know?"

Aaron grinned. "Do they have to?"

James shook his head, grinning as well. "Do we have an Invisibility Cloak?"

Aaron shook his head sadly. "But we have determination and," he glanced at Rose, smiling, "slight clumsiness, but we'll make due."

James grinned. "Should I start packing?"

Aaron's eyes sparkled. Nodded his head. "I recommend you do. Just quietly," he whispered, giving James a small wink.

The little boy almost darted to his closet to find an empty duffel bag, and Aaron could hear his silent cheers as Rose continued on the phone. She had been watching them with an eager smile on her face.

"Okay Mom," Rose said, nodding her head. "Yes. Pause. Alright. Pause. Fine, I will. Another pause. Okay Mom. A long pause. Okay, I promise. A longer pause. Okay Mom, love you. A pause. Alright, love you too. A pause. Bye."

She shoved her phone on James' nightstand as she joined Aaron; settling herself right beside him with that blinding smile of hers. "You told him?" she whispered, glancing at James shoving random articles of clothing in a bag.

Aaron smiled. "I did," he replied.

Rose nodded, almost giddy with excitement. "Alright, this will be fun."

Aaron's hands reached out for her own. "Of course it will be," he said, grinning. "We're doing it together."

Rose smiled bashfully and kissed his cheek.

It was a rather hard plan to execute; they would have to leave while Aaron's parents were sleeping, and surely they had to make sure they wouldn't give any obvious signs for the few hours they would be here. Aiden's car was parked right a few blocks away, and Aaron was already fifty five percent convinced this plan could actually turn out for the better.

"My bag's already packed," Rose told him, and Aaron noticed how she was wearing her Gryffindor sweater again, and he could feel his face burn. "Yours too?"

Aaron nodded. "I packed while you took a bath," he told her.

Rose's hand unconsciously went to her hair. "Do you know how hair it was to get that stuff off my hair?"

Aaron grinned. "No," he told her. "But I have a feeling you're going to tell me."

Rose rolled her eyes, smiling. "You do terrible manicures."

"At least I stayed in the lines."

"You didn't."

"You wouldn't know, you wiped it all off."

Rose quirked an eyebrow. "You did not."

Aaron grinned cheekily. "I did."

"For fuck's sake,"

Aaron laughed so hard he fell off the bed and took Rose with him.

●●●

"There is security up front," Aaron whispered to Rose when the clock struck nine thirty. "They're there whenever my parents are actually here." He could feel his chest pile up with tension. "If they see me, they can arrest me."

Rose frowned. "Why is there security?"

Aaron shrugged. "My parents like to think they're VIP, so I guess it's for the prestige really. They did it ever since I was a kid."

"We'll go from the back then?" she asked.

Aaron nodded. "I told George the same thing. He's getting the car parked there." A small thought crossed Aaron's brain. "Do you think Damien knows?"

Rose shook her head. "I don't think he does," Aaron nodded at that. "I haven't seen him since breakfast."

Aaron let out a small breath. He had just finished showering and was now in a pair of black jeans and a long sleeved black shirt. "I haven't seen much of him either," Aaron could feel his damp hair tickle his eyelids.

Rose shrugged. She was wearing her Gryffindor sweater with some blue jeans. In short, she looked absolutely stunning. Her hair was down too, curled just the way Aaron liked it. He found himself playing with her ends as she spoke. "Maybe he overheard us?"

"I doubt he'd tell anyone," Aaron said, kissing Rose's forehead as they waited for James to finish getting ready. "There's no turning back now anyways."

Rose nodded, her brown eyes wide in alert as she checked the hallways every now and then. "Roger that."

James almost stumbled as he closed the door to his room, smiling sheepishly at the couple as he said a mumbled apology. "Ready?" Aaron was actually starting to feel scared now.

James was beaming. "Ready as ever," he said, nodding his head.

Aaron took James' hand and Rose trailed behind them; ensuring that no one was following them and that they couldn't be seen. Aaron clutched onto James tightly and kept glancing at Rose every now and then.

George was already waiting for them by the back door; his grey eyes glittering in joy, but there were still the nervous glances that he took. "Everything is ready Aaron," he said, smiling.

Aaron gave him a small smile. "You know you could lose your job for this?" he said.

George smiled brightly. "I think I'm too old now," he told Aaron. "I am not as I was before." His eyes were so sincere. "It wouldn't make a difference to me."

Aaron let go of James and settled the baggage on the floor. "It is much appreciated George," Aaron walked over and gave George a hug. "Thank you."

George hugged back, and Aaron could feel the trembles of his fingers on his back. "It is my pleasure," he said, his voice breaking a bit. "It is so wonderful to see you grow up into a spectacular young man."

When they broke apart, there were slight tears in George's eyes. He gave Aaron a pat on the shoulder. "Well done Aaron."

Aaron gave him a smile and packed the bags into the hood of the car while Rose and James gave George their goodbyes and hugs.

He turned to them. "Ready?" he asked once more.

James was the first to grin and nodded his head. Rose smiled her beautiful smile.

Aaron made sure Rose and James were seated first in the back (Rose insisted she sat with James this time) before he gave George one last wave and got into the driver's seat. He took a deep breath before starting the engine.

He tried to drive as quietly as he could, but the screeches the tires were making made a spark of worry boil in his stomach. He reversed and was drove quickly on the main road, glancing at the security cars that were still stationary on the front porch.

Rose smiled at him, and just as she was about to say something, they heard it.

The sound of sirens.

●●●

James was the one who let out a scream.

Aaron panicked and maneuvered the car to the left, sending them all tight against their seats.

"James, hold on," he told the green eyed boy, and he could see Rose adjust his seatbelt tighter. Her fingers were trembling as she did so.

"Aaron," Her voice was quiet, yet he could hear the panic behind it. "They're coming."

Aaron accelerated the car, and he could feel his phone vibrate. He quickly handed the phone to Rose, as he made random lefts and rights, and she answered the call and put it on loud speaker.

"Aaron?"

"Yes George," Aaron said, glancing at the rear view mirror. "I am in kind of a mess right now, so I can't really talk."

He could've sworn he heard George let out a small chuckle. The cars were getting closer and closer; the red and blue of their lights almost blinding Aaron, and the sirens felt as though they were right beside him.

"They know," George said, the strain in his voice almost painful for Aaron to hear. "I believe either I drove too obviously. But Mr. and Mrs. DeGarner are looking for James now, so I truly think they went to check up on him and found his room empty." There was a small pause. "They did, however, read James' small note that he left for them on the door." Aaron could hear the grin in George's voice.

Rose actually giggled, but the cars made Aaron's mind back into alert, and he bit back a scream when the cars were getting closer and closer.

"Where are my parents now?" They took a sudden right swerve. "I need them to stop this fucking car chase."

"They are currently in the dining room," George said, and there was a twitch to his voice when the sirens became louder. "Do you have any requests Aaron?"

Rose was the one who answered. "We want to talk to them."

Aaron almost lost control over the wheel, but the smile brightened his face. "Give us my parents George," Aaron said. "Please."

There were shuffles on the other end of the line, and Aaron even heard George's polite voice Aaron is on the other end Madam, he wishes to talk to you, and the rustling became so harsh that Aaron knew it was his Mother who gripped the phone.

"You insolent fool! If you think you can get away with this –"

"Mummy dearest, I see you miss me already."

"Give me my son back!" Blair screeched. "We are pressing charges against you!"

"What? For giving James an actual summer?" The cars were relentless and it was tiring Aaron on how many times he tried to lose them.

"For kidnapping!" She screamed. "This is outrageous –"

Aaron could feel one of the cars puncture the car. Hard. His nose banged against the steering wheel, and he could feel a little blood ooze out of it. "And your men are trying to get us killed," he told his Mother calmly. "I knew you always had your touch."

"Give me James back! He belongs here, and he is taken care of here! You will only ruin him!" Blair shrieked.

"No Mum," It was James, and his voice held this strength that Aaron never heard. "I want to go with Aaron."

There was silence on the other end, but Aaron was driving the car so fast he was becoming slightly dizzy. "But sweetheart you should be here with us –"

"You're never home," James said, and Aaron's heart almost broke when he heard the crack in his voice. "Not once have you ever tucked me into bed or kissed me goodnight; you weren't there for my birthday parties or plays." His voice quivered with every word he spoke, and he could see Rose hug James from the rear view mirror. "So no Mum, I shouldn't be there with you. I want to be with Aaron."

The cars were catching up so close that Aaron could see the blue and red lights right beside him. It was hopeless; at this rate, he was going to either surrender himself or they would knock the car over.

But all of a sudden the cars stopped; their glaring lights still on, but both engines died down. Aaron was confused, and obviously so was Rose and James.

"Stay there as long as you want," It was Jonathan now, and his voice was anything but friendly. "We will send a car to pick you up when you decide to come back. And George will be joining you shortly – I want a supervisor along, so it is decided." Aaron stopped the car too, and was smiling so big. "And...have fun, James." And the call ended.

Aaron ended up driving about eleven blocks from the house, and he was pretty sure he was in the backyard of someone else's home, but when George came jugging to the car with a wide smile on his lips, it didn't matter. None of it did.

George grinned. "Look at you," he said, looking at Aaron. "A bloody mess."

"Literally," added James, and only then did they realize that the blood from Aaron's nose dribbled all the way down to his chin. Rose was beside him within seconds and wiped the blood away with the sleeve of her sweater. The Gryffindor sweater. Aaron gripped her arm. "Don't. It'll get ruined."

Rose shook her head, and her eyes were so full of concern that they filled up with tears. "It doesn't matter. Nothing does."

And she removed away all the blood from his chin, and even the smeared blood that ended up on the steering wheel. Aaron told Rose to change the sweater when they would refill gas and she nodded her head to that – but not before leaving a loving kiss to his nose.

George was in the passenger seat right next to Aaron, and he was out of his suit too, and was dressed in a loose maroon sweater and brown pants. He smiled. "Are we ready?"

Rose found a pack of tissues in her handbag, and she shoved one into each of Aaron's nostrils. "Ready," Aaron said, even though it sounded more like a muffled cough.

Rose was smiling, and James had slight tears in his eyes. Rose kissed his forehead and draped a small blanket across him, and James laid his head on her shoulder. It was always something beautiful to see James be around Rose like that; almost like his two favourite people loving each other.

George buckled his seatbelt and Aaron was already starting the engine. The security cars were gone by now, and Aaron didn't even notice it.

He reversed and made his way.

But then Damien's grin flashed across the rear view mirror. Glinting eyes and a sly smirk, he said, "Planning on leaving without me?"

●●●

Rose dabbed at Aaron's nose again; a small frown etched on her lips as she wiped away the excess water dripping from the napkin. It was hard avoiding Rose's worried stare, especially with her being this close to him, but Aaron busied himself with looking at the sink.

While James, Georgeand Damien were eating out front, Rose tended to Aaron's wounds. "Stupid," Rose muttered, her lips in a thin line as she wiped the dried blood from his chin. "She could've gotten us killed."

Aaron smiled lightly. In the lighting of the small diner's bathroom, Rose looked so much like Helen. The bridge of her nose, and the disapproving gaze she was supporting, reminded Aaron so much of her own Mother.

His thumb ran across her knuckles lightly. "It's fine," Aaron told her, but her frown only deepened. "I feel alright." he added.

Rose shook her head; strays of her sunlit hair settling on the base of her neck. "You even got a cut on your eyebrow," It actually stung when Rose draped the damp cloth over his right eyebrow.

"I didn't even feel it."

"Which gave the cut an even bigger chance of getting infected," Rose said, clenching her jaw.

He kissed her forehead. "You'll take care of me fine,"

Rose let out a worried sigh. "I don't have any antibiotics with me for that." Her eyes were so desperate. "Maybe we can disinfect it with a lemon."

Aaron actually laughed. "Your call, doc."

Rose smiled, but there was tension on the corners of her mouth. "Come on," She mumbled, and Aaron pushed himself off the sink. "Let's get something to eat, I'm hungry."

Aaron nodded and kissed Rose on the lips. "You know," he said to her quietly, "I think it all might just turn out alright for all of us."

Rose smiled, her eyes as gentle as a fireplace. "I knew it from the beginning."

N o t e

Hey loves! How are you guys doing? I hope you are all okay! And I also hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! I am kinda effy about it, but nonetheless, I hope you guys liked it! :) 

Vote - I fell in love with the way you voted, slowly and then all at once.

Comment - That's the thing about euphoria, it demands to be felt.

Share - Everything is unstable to Nadia.

And this chapter is dedicated to ooLilyFloweroo for being an absolute darling and leaving me such a lovely, long and sweet comment in the previous chapter! Your support and love mean everything to me, and you are absolutely stunning! Thank you, truly. xoxo

And loves, I hate to say it, but Hers is coming to an end. Perhaps there will be only two chapters left, but I have so many people I want to dedicate towards, so I will mention usernames in the epilogue! So thank you for the amazing comments in the last chapter, it never goes unnoticed!

And you guys, thank you for 522+K on Hers! I never thought I would ever reach such a b

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

350 48 12
Every truth is not bitter ,some truth are as sweet as honey and suger , my one is one of them and that is "I LOVE YOU " . It can be called a bitter l...
32.2K 901 15
this is collection of one shot. enjoy English isn't my first language. i am sorry if there is any mistake
734K 15.1K 33
"Psychos can't fall in love... It's Impossible... They can't feel love" . "Clearly you don't know what it's like to have someone who would give t...
36.3K 4.5K 59
Previously known as 'Hope'. Completed √ "Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all the darkness" Everyone has a story. Some choose to...