Unrequited

By writersrefinery

Picks up from the end of "Collateral Damages" when Tuckson is confirmed. Elliot and Olivia meet by chance and... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30: Epilogue

Chapter 20

1.2K 43 13
By writersrefinery

"You were pretty quiet on the ride over," Pippa comments while smoothing out the skirt of her dress. Emerald green with an A line skirt and halter top, her hair pulled up into a soft bun, Elliot couldn't help but notice how beautiful she looked when she answered her door. He complimented her politely and she returned the favor.

Elliot holds the door to the hotel open for her. "I guess I'm just a little tense. It'll pass."

The hallway is pretty empty to say there is a party going on despite the loud music and low roar of chatter just down the hall. The affair is much more swanky than he imagined and he sighs loudly as they approach the door.

"We don't have to stay long," Pippa says walking a few paces in front of him to check them in with the hostesses posted at the entrance. Instantly he feels bad. Before everything got out of hand he agreed to accompany her and now he's being a bit of a buzzkill, lost in his own hangups about the situation.

Elliot hangs back while she gives the two older ladies their names. Curious, he leans to the side just to peek inside. Although there are a lot of suits and a few ballgowns, he's thankful that he doesn't recognize anyone he knows yet. But the view is about 15% of the actual population that awaits him inside. The thought alone is daunting.

He closes his eyes for a fraction of a second and instantly flashes back to the scene in Olivia's apartment. The feel of her satin robe against his eager fingers, her warm soft skin. When the tip of his fingers touched her bare mound, his heart jumped into his throat. Somehow he needed to reel himself in. He had come there with a purpose. And as Neanderthal as it sounded he just needed to stake his claim. Make sure he would be the only man on her mind. But once he touched her all bets were off.

It took everything in him not to strip her from the corset that strained against her full breasts and pull off that poor excuse of underwear she was wearing. The way her walls spasmed around his fingers. So tight, so wet. He longed to feel that around his thick erection.

Elliot shifts his weight back and forth between each leg. His hand scrubbing down his face stopping around his mouth trying to calm himself down. The feel of his pants are getting tight and he groans in frustration.

Focus.

Focus on anything but the perfection of her body. The smooth supple curves, the way goosebumps broke out across her smooth olive skin.

He is so wrapped up in the memory of her that he doesn't register Pippa walking up.

"Hey," she pats his shoulder to jar his attention. "We are table thirteen."

The smile doesn't quite reach her eyes as she fastens the snap on her black clutch.

"What's wrong?" He asks, his hand gently touching her elbow.

"I know you really didn't want to come," she sighs and begins to look around everywhere but at him. His eyes follow hers thinking that she spotted something or someone and he tries to locate them as well. Instead he just sees more older men in dark suits, clashing against the cream colored walls and neutral colored decor of the lobby. "Good thing is there's another friend of mine at the table too so it's not all bad."

His forehead wrinkles with concern. "What are you talking about?"

Pippa sighs again, this time her green irises that match her dress more than he realized initially meets with his cautiously. "Tucker and Olivia are seated at our table too."

Ten minutes. It had been only been ten minutes since Olivia walked into the oversized doors of the grand hotel carefully holding the skirt of her dress that had a longer train than she realized.

It had been seven minutes since she had an awkward exchange with Ed where he complimented her dress and she saw the hint of hurt in his eyes. Trying to push past it, they walked through the lobby together, not arm in arm but close enough that it was evident they came together. A few polite hellos and complementing of attire with some colleagues she recognized and they found themselves checking in with the hostess. Three minutes ago they got their table number and she glanced down to see who else would be seated with them and was surprised to see "Pippa Cox and guest".

The lump formed immediately in her throat and she made a hasty retreat to the bathroom. The firm lock of Ed's jaw registered his disapproval with their table mates but she had excused herself to the bathroom before he could speak.

Three minutes later she's still in the bathroom. Her fingers curl over the edge of the sink as she takes in her reflection in the mirror. The stress is perfectly masked behind her straightened hair parted down the center and light makeup capped off with rose colored lipstick. Standing up straight, she adjusts the fit of the red and silver strapless corset top with the sweetheart neckline that perfectly accentuates her impressive cleavage. At first she thought the train was a bit much and despite what may very well be a firestorm around her she smiles at her reflection in the mirror. If only the dress would've been for a different occasion. Not one where she has to plaster on a fake smile all night and hope that Ed and Elliot don't come to blows.

Pippa wasn't a concern for her. The little twinge of jealousy she had quickly disappeared somewhere between coming down from the high of her orgasm that Elliot gave her and prancing into the front door of the hotel. But it was Elliot she was concerned for. His stunt at her apartment while it was memorable and still sent shockwaves through her veins concerned her because it revealed just how uncomfortable he was with the whole scenario. She'd seen him be jealous before of men around her but this was something different. He was full on staking his claim and no less against a man that had manipulated him out of his career.

Olivia jolts when she hears the door open and two relatively young women, one blonde one brunette stroll in giggling at one another. Quickly she discerns they are not involved in law enforcement or an attorney but probably someone's arm candy for the night.

If only she could just people watch for the rest of the night and not have to keep a close eye out for any run ins. This was much more entertaining.

Finally she pries herself from the bathroom and strolls back to the waiting area where a few people form a small circle near Ed. He's giving a thin polite smile, gripping his glass of something he must've picked up at the bar so tight that she wonders if it will shatter.

"Hello. Sorry I took so long," she apologizes in a low voice as she returns to his side.

"Lieutenant Benson," one of the men yells excitedly. He's clearly had more than one beverage. "Nice to meet you. You look stunning."

Olivia pastes on the best fake smile she can manage for the man she doesn't know but is complimenting her.

"I'm sorry. I'm Captain Lyle Henderson from the 4-6. Your former boss Don Cragen and I knew each other. He spoke highly of you and your whole team," he explains, the loud clinking of the ice in his glass distracting her from his words.

"Well thank you. It's nice to meet you."

Ed places his hand lightly on her elbow. "We better head inside," he says to the group. "Talk to you guys later."

After a few paces his hand drops back to his side. "You ok?"

"Yeah I'm fine," she lies as they walk into the massive room. The scene inside sidetracks her errant thoughts temporarily. There's a live band near the stage, several large tables decorated in a dark cream color with beautiful centerpieces. Everyone is dressed in their best attire, the most formal that she's seen any of them. Even though she doesn't see exactly where he is, she can hear the loud boom of Deputy Dodds' laughter in the crowd. The room is rather large and thankfully there's a full house so she's hoping to just blend in with the crowd. Her eyes settle on the open bar and she makes a mental note to probably head there sooner rather than later. Time is already crawling by.

"Do you want to head to the table now? Or just mingle for a little bit?" Ed asks her. "I can understand if you're not in a hurry to sit down considering the company there. Or then again maybe you don't mind at all," he jabs, rolling his eyes and looking away.

A sarcastic comeback is on the tip of her tongue but she decides not to indulge and takes a different approach. "I know this can't be easy for you either," she turns into him. He responds, turning into her as well and making eye contact. "Are you sure you can handle seeing Elliot? I know there's no love lost there."

"That's putting it mildly. Look I don't like the guy he doesn't like me. It is what it is."

It's not that simple. It's never been that simple between the two of them. If Ed chooses to remain aloof about the whole situation she can work with that. It's much better than anger.

They stand for another minute before another colleague of Ed's walks over and begins to strike up a conversation. Barely listening, her eyes scan the room. There are a few people she recognizes, a lot that she doesn't. It doesn't take long before she spots the green dress and the red hair. Pippa. And before she has a chance to gather herself she spots him.

Elliot.

She should be paying attention to the conversation in front of her with Ed or the body language between Pippa and Elliot. How is he looking at her? How close is he to her? Briefly the fact that there are three other people in the small circle with them registers but other than that her attention is focused solely on him.

The way his suit hugs the contours of his body perfectly. That cocky stance of his that she hated when they argued but always secretly admired. His smile is polite bordering on genuine but it's his lips that grab her attention. Those lips that were just on her.

Kissing, sucking, licking on her eager body. His lips had been soft but urgent. Blazing a trail down her neck, her breasts, over her mound. Affected, her thighs clench together under dress. Her line of sight begins to trail down his torso to his hands dangling at his side. Those hands that were just on her. In her.

Although she can't see the details from the distance, she knows them all too well. The rough hard feel of them contrasting with the soft delicate way he touches her. His short fingernails that stroked the inside of her walls almost making her want to come instantly. Her eyes close for a split second. When they open he's watching her.

A small smile plays on his lips luring a smile from her as well. If there is part of the conversation he's supposed to be listening to she can tell he isn't anymore. Both of them ignoring the people around them. Only focused on each other.

Olivia watches with gratification as his gaze travel the length of her. Tingling she waits for the moment their eyes meet. Elliot's tongue licks the seam of his lips, his hands fidgeting at his side. She wants him. Right here right now.

"Don't you think so Olivia?" A burly gentleman to her right asks.

"Hunh?" She quickly tries to snap herself out of it but her eyes still haven't left Elliot. His answering smirk proving her right. "Oh I'm sorry. I think I see a colleague I know."

Ed speaks up, moving to her side, her body no longer shielding him from plain sight. "Excuse us for a moment."

They walk away towards Pippa and Elliot and her pulse begins to race.

"We may as well go ahead and get this over with considering we will have to sit with them all night," he says.

Olivia looks at him briefly trying to read from his expression what she can't hear in his voice. They've never gotten to that level of unspoken communication. Every word or facial expression she has to work to figure out. It doesn't take long for her to see the anger radiating from him as they get closer to their destination.

Olivia turns her head to watch Elliot as they get closer and immediately tenses at what she sees. The desire and amusement that shrouded his expression earlier has been quickly replaced with pure unadulterated rage. She's seen that look before. All too many times and it all scares her. Not here. Not now. And then the moment is upon them.

"Pippa, it's good to see you," Ed begins as they stand a few feet away from them. The small group that was around them before has disappeared. Dammit.

Pippa as always is the epitome of polite. "Ed Tucker it's nice to see you too," she says leaning in to touch his cheek to hers in a half hug.

Ed stalls and then does the inevitable. "Stabler," he acknowledges stiffly.

"Tucker," he answers. His jaw is rigid, his hands clenching at his side.

"Please we aren't in the office anymore. Call me Ed."

"I'd like to call you a few things but Ed isn't one of them," Elliot responds with a cocky smirk on his face.

"Olivia your dress is absolutely gorgeous," Pippa steps in literally placing her body between the two men to reach out and hug Olivia.

Breathing a sigh of relief, she hugs her back. "Thank you so is yours. Love that color on you."

"Well thank you. It was a little last minute so glad I was able to find something."

Never has she been so thankful for mindless girl talk about shopping as she has right now.

"Yeah same here."

Pippa looks between Elliot and Ed who are still in a tense stare off before she continues. "Where did you get yours? I can't believe you found something like that on such short notice. It looks like a designer made it."

Olivia chuckles. "Well-"

"Well actually my daughter picked it out," Elliot interrupts. Olivia stiffens immediately.

"Oh," Pippa responds giving Olivia a sympathetic look at the same time.

"Yeah you know how Liv's schedule is so after her and my girls went out to lunch, Maureen offered to help her find something and clearly she did a great job."

So much for girl talk. Elliot was clearly not pulling any punches.

Punches. No. She couldn't even think of the word.

Ed clears his throat, widening his stance a little. "Yes she certainly did. One of the most beautiful women in the room but of course I'm a little biased."

And clearly Ed wasn't pulling any punches either.

"I'm going to go and get a drink," Olivia blurts out making a beeline for the bar. If any occasion causes for something to take the edge off then this would definitely be it. Pippa was still there so there was no immediate cause for concern that they would come to physical blows.

After a few sips of Cabernet, Olivia surveys the crowd and hesitantly turns around to look back over in the direction of the group.

"Hey. Nice party hunh?" Barba asks popping out of nowhere. Always dressed impeccably, she refrains from commenting on his attire and indulges the reason behind his devilish smirk instead.

"So I take it you've said hello to everyone?" she asks taking another drink of her wine to hide the tiny lift of her lips. She can't help but smile at how much of a kick he is getting out of all of this.

"I have to say Liv. I didn't really want to come to this thing but your love life alone will provide me all the entertainment I need."

Olivia peeks around Barba to get a look at them again and sees Ed walk away to go and talk to another group. Although she can't see Elliot because his back is to her, his posture seems more relaxed at first and she's thankful for the temporary reprieve.

"Don't be so flustered. If it helps I even changed seats with someone so I will be at your table too," he smiles at her.

"Is that so you can help navigate me through this or to be closer to the entertainment?"

"Both actually," he takes a drink and winks at her at the same time. She's glad he's here. Wit and all. It's just the distraction she needs.

"Well well well this must be where the cool kids are hanging out," a voice interrupts them and Barba's shoulders immediately deflate.

"Rita. Pleasure to see you," he says finishing off the last of the brown liquid in his glass. "Another please." He motions to the bartender.

"Well gee Barba that didn't sound like a warm welcome. Surely you didn't need to order another drink to deal with me."

Their exchange stifles even more of Olivia's anxiety. Apparently everyone had their achilles heel at this party. While the two of them traded jabs she looked around again and saw that Ed had disappeared from his group and Elliot seemed to even be smiling at Pippa and another colleague of hers they were talking to while they walked over to the table she would be joining him at soon.

Olivia closes her eyes in relief, thankful that at least no other barbs must've been exchanged if Ed has moved on and Elliot was looking less stressed. Maybe they would get through this hell of a night after all.

Partly she's listening to the conversation between Rita and Barba in front of her and the rest of her attention is on Elliot. He really did look good in his suit and apparently the group of older ladies across from their table also felt the same way. He was completely oblivious at the attention he was receiving.

Four ladies each detached from their significant others for the evening and one she recognizes as Dodds' wife is looking over at him and giggling among themselves like schoolgirls. Elliot was an attractive man, there was no doubt about that and there was a slight twinge of pride that radiated in her to see other women fawning over him and he was so completely clueless about it.

"Oh come on Rafael. You know you miss taking me on in the courtroom." The way Rita says his name breaks Olivia from her trance, now completely engrossed in the exchange between the two attorneys in front of her. "But don't worry you can always take me on in another room to make up for it."

Olivia begins to choke on her drink but quickly recovers. Rita Calhoun had a lot of traits but being subtle was clearly not one of them.

"I've always admired your tact Rita," he comments placing his glass on the bar and fidgeting with his tie.

"Well what can I say? I'm a woman that knows what she wants."

It became clear to Olivia that she wasn't the only person in for quite a night.

Elliot glances back towards the bar area at Olivia as he stands from the table. The tension is gone from her face and she looks completely enamored at the two people standing in front of her. He's glad that she is distracted.

"Excuse me for a second Pippa, I need to run to the restroom," he whispers. She's so engrossed in a conversation about her old days as an employment law attorney with a friend that she barely registers his presence.

Walking into the lobby, he peers around looking for any sign of his grey haired nemesis. He doesn't see him. His hands fist around in his pockets until his eyes settle on the men's bathroom door. Immediately he walks in that direction, he needed to go to the restroom anyway. It's a bit crowded at first and he thinks he will have to wait in line until he sees there are a line of urinals that stretch around the corner and there are more there. When the four men that were gathered near the entrance disperse, he gets a clear sight of exactly who he was hoping was in there.

"Tucker," he says coldly, his fists opening and closing at his sides.

There is one other man at the sink behind him washing his hands and the two men size each other up while waiting on their guest to disappear.

Once the man wipes his hands and walks out the door, Elliot moves to stand in front of it. If Ed is nervous he makes it a point not to show it which frustrates him even more. "You and I have some things to discuss."

"Look I don't have time for this." He moves towards the door but Elliot blocks him.

"Oh yes you do. Don't be a fuckin coward now. You had plenty to say all the times when you were sitting across from in your office or in an interrogation room."

Ed huffs and rolls his eyes. "So what you're going to hit me now? Surprise Surprise. Do what you have to do so we can move on."

Elliot releases a bitter laugh. "No I'm not going to hit you."

"Well well look at that," he responds dismissively. "I guess people can change after all. Someone told me recently that people don't change but then here you are. I guess the rules are different when it comes to you. They always were."

"Oh shut the fuck up," Elliot roars moving closer to him. Ed continues to hold his ground, his mouth pressed firmly in a thin line. "If rules were so goddamn different for me I wouldn't have been standing across from your pathetic ass all the time fighting for my job. Don't act like I got a free ride. Everytime I turned around you guys were on my case about something."

"And it was all undeserved hunh? We just picked on you for no damn reason," Ed strikes back. "You're pathetic."

The use of the words ignites more fury inside of him. How dare he? Of all people?

"You want to call me pathetic? The same bastard that used a schoolboy crush to take down anyone in his way."

Ed flinches. "You don't know what the hell you're talking about. All because you think I duped you out of your job."

"Not just me," Elliot walks forward. They are so close to one another. Almost nose to nose. "I heard about your little stunt with Cassidy. Setting him up to get killed in the field. So it's not just me. Eliminate all the competition that gets in your way. Really are you that hard up?"

Ed lunges forward grabbing Elliot by the collar for a split second before Elliot turns the tables, removing his hands and pushing him in the opposite direction against a nearby wall. "Give me a reason. I've been dying to beat the shit out of you for years anyway," he snarls.

Ed stiffens, and instead of throwing a punch of fighting back, he backs up and out of Elliot's loosening grasp.

Taking a few steps back to the mirror he straightens his tie and wipes out the wrinkles in his shirt while Elliot watches him closely. "I had a job to do and I did it."

Elliot scoffs. "Don't give me that shit. I'd have more respect for you if you just admit you didn't like me and you had it out for me."

He's silent almost as if he's contemplating a confession. Elliot continues. "You called me a pedophile. You always assumed I was the one that was wrong before you got any of the fuckin evidence."

"You-"

Elliot cuts him off, "Christ you even arrested Olivia for murder."

"Her DNA was on the knife," he argues.

"Even if she was the main suspect, did you have to haul her out in front of the whole squad? What kind of piece of shit does that? You embarrassed her. You know how long it took for that talk to die down?"

The door opens and both men stop talking momentarily while a hotel employee walks in and quickly decides to walk back out.

"Ok fine. You want me to admit I didn't play by the rules all the time then fine. Sometimes I didn't. You happy now?"

Elliot snickers and shakes his head in disbelief. "How you got her to believe you were different and worthy of her I will never understand."

"I thought you were the poster boy for people changing," Ed retorts with a smug grin.

"Oh I have made some changes because if I hadn't the better part of your nose would've connected with my fist by now. But don't worry it's still there. Don't tempt me," he warns opening and closing his fists again.

"As enlightening as all this is did you want something else? I actually have to use the john."

"Yeah. Stay the fuck away from Olivia."

Ed chuckles defiantly, waving him off. "That's up to her. But don't worry I won't be around her as much anymore. I'm transferring to Hostage Negotiations. Guess we could all use some change."

Elliot's chest rises and falls rapidly and once again they are in a stand off. They both stare neither of them saying anything. After what seems like an eternity Ed is the first to break the stare and excuses himself to one of the stalls around the corner.

Elliot releases a breath he didn't realize he was holding, stretching out his hands that were almost sore from how tight he had them clenched. Turning behind him he quickly uses one of the urinals and washes his hands trying to get himself under control. He knew they would have words tonight but didn't expect it to be so early on. And even more surprisingly that they both managed to walk away unscathed.

Reaching for the door handle, he's shocked when the door almost hits him and Olivia comes barreling inside.

"What are you doing in here? What's going on?"

For a moment he's worried that something is actually wrong until he sees the playful grin on her face. She has to maneuver to pull in the rest of the train of her dress so it doesn't get stuck in the door as it closes.

"I just wanted to come see you." She begins to look around to see if there is anyone in there.

"In the bathroom?" He asks confused.

"Yeah because we need some privacy," she says her left eyebrow arching. Taken away by how beautiful she is he almost forgets they aren't alone.

"Liv-"

Her soft lips smother his. Gentle at first until he feels the satin of her dress flush against him. Her breasts firm and lush against his chest.

He pulls back just enough to try and get a word out but before he can speak she sticks her tongue into his mouth and he groans. Her hands begin to caress the bulge in his pants and he's completely lost.

This is payback for the stunt at her house he's sure but he doesn't care at all. All that matters is her hands on him, the feel of her against him. The silky strands of her hair glide effortlessly between his fingers as he holds her head against him and sucks on her tongue.

That damn dress is so gorgeous but dammit he knows there's probably another layer underneath and it would be almost impossible to lift it up right here and push his hardness into her.

They've both lost all sense of where they are. His hands cup her right breast and she pushes him firmer against the bathroom door so no one comes in and interrupts them. He hears low laughter and clapping in the distance. Someone is giving a speech which explains why they haven't been interrupted.

"How about I make you come?" Olivia asks, sighing into his mouth and he lets out a pained groan. His eyes fly open when her hand grasps his length inside of his pants attempting to pull it out.

It's not going to take much to push him over the edge. A few strokes in her warm hand and he's going to be done. He's got to stop this before it goes too far. She's playing but has no clue how close to the edge he actually is.

"Liv wai-"

The sound of a throat clearing fills the room. Olivia freezes. Elliot's head jerks to the side meeting Ed's furious glance head on. Everything happened so fast he was going to warn Olivia but the second she touched him and kissed him, he forgot they weren't alone.

"Ed I-I didn't know you were in here," Olivia apologizes. "Yeah I can tell," he responds dryly. Elliot snakes his hand around her waist protectively.

"I would stay around for the rest of the show but I should get out to hear the rest of the speeches."

Ed's face is so crestfallen that he almost feels sorry for him. Almost but not quite.

Backing away from the door, he holds Olivia in his grasp while Ed walks out.

As soon as the door shuts she slaps him on the chest. "Why didn't you say anything?"

Despite himself he laughs at her mortified expression. "In my defense I tried but you didn't exactly give me a chance."

She hides her face in her hands, her head shaking from side to side as if she's trying to wake up from a bad dream. "I just wanted to come in here and get you back for what you did at the apartment and also congratulate you for not punching Ed. I know it can't be easy to keep your cool where he's concerned."

Elliot presses his thumb to the nape of her neck pulling her close. "No it wasn't. But the night is still young."

Olivia slaps him across the chest again. "Ow! Don't worry about it Liv," he says placing a kiss on her forehead. "You just hit him in the gut much harder than I ever could."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 103 24
Olivia Benson has worked at Manhattan SVU for eight years now. Her partner, Elliot Stabler, for way longer. While he's dealing with his recent divorc...
7.3K 346 23
After a short marriage of big trials, Olivia Benson and Elliot Stabler have to work through life still wanting each other, yet knowing they can be ha...
37.9K 606 15
A PTSD-stricken Olivia Benson returns to work after a month off of recovering from her captivity by William Lewis. Elliot returns to check on her aft...
1.6K 35 17
Elliot has loved Olivia for almost 13 years. Since their first case together years ago. Since Stuckey's incident, Elliot's completely lost it. He has...