When I lost You (Fixing a Bro...

By MegannandLizz

It's twelve years later. Emily is seventeen and out of control. Isy is now thirteen. Emily's younger siste... More

| Cast |
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty

Chapter Sixteen

73 1 1
By MegannandLizz

*Two days later*

Isy's pov:

My mum has seen much less stressed out now that the custody battle is over. She seems the happiest and most relaxed I've seen her in months. It makes me happy. I finally feel like I can have a real family. Tyler, mum, and me. No more worrying about Cameron. I can't even call him my dad. It doesn't feel right. I guess a part of me it still hurt that Cameron couldn't be my dad, but I think I can begin to heal a little bit from that now. I no longer have to deal with Olivia's rudeness and Ashley's entitlement. Olivia thought I was her servant, and Ashley thought she was above me. I could've easily gotten along with them if they had allowed me into their lives. I get that it was hard for them to have someone from another marriage in their house, but it was no picnic for me either. I hope Cameron enjoys his family without me. It's not like I was ever a very important part of his life anyways.

"Mum, can I go to Emily's?" I asked, entering the living room.

"Sure, honey. Is she gonna pick you up?" Mum asked.

"Yeah. I was texting her earlier," I told my mum. There was a knock at the door.

"Is that Em now?" Mum asked me. I blushed.

"Sorry. I assumed you'd be fine with it, so I just told her you said yes," I confessed.

"It's okay, but in the future, give me more of a heads up," mum smirked. I smiled and answered the door.

"Hi, Emily!" I chirped, hugging my older cousin.

"Hey Isy. Go wait in the car," Emily told me. I nodded and went to her car.

Megan's pov:

"What's up, Em?" I asked my niece.

"How has Isy been?" Emily asked.

"You mean with Cameron?" I asked.

"Yeah. Is she bothered with the battle?" Emily asked concerned.

"She doesn't like talking about it, but from the bits and pieces I've gotten out of her, she seems okay. A bit hurt that her own father doesn't want her, but glad that she can escape it now," I sighed.

"That's good," Emily smiled.

"Emily, you don't have to worry for Isy. Believe me, I appreciate it so much that you care about her. I'm so happy that Isy has you. You remind me of Liz in that way. She watched out for me the way you look out for Isy," I smiled. Emily gave a nod, slightly bothered that I had brought up Liz.

"Please don't tell me you two are fighting," I sighed.

"Eh same old, same old," Emily shrugged.

"So you're fighting," I raised my eye brows.

"Yeah," Emily said matter of factly.

"Em, what did you do?" I asked, placing my hand on my forehead.

"Mum wanted me to start dinner, but I was going out, so I refused. Dad wasn't home, so we both knew she couldn't make me do anything," Emily said, clearly proud of herself.

"Em, give your mum a break. She works so hard for you and Saige, whether you realize it or not. She's stressed too. Go easy on her," I told my niece. Emily shrugged.

"Well, I got go. Bye Me-Me. Love you," Emily told me.

"Love you too, Em," I told her.

Emily's pov:

I walked out to my car where Isy was patiently waiting in the passenger's seat.

"Hey," I smiled, getting in the car and pulling out of the drive way.

"Hi," Isy smiled happily. I love that kid. Such a sweetheart she is.

"How are you doing?" I asked hesitantly.

"I'm good," Isy responded. The drive to my house consisted of us singing loudly to the radio. Isy has such a nice voice.

We pulled into my driveway and headed into the house.

"Hi, Aunt Liz!" Isy said happily. She pulled my mum into a hug. My mum looked really happy that Isy hugged her

"Hi, sweetie. How are you?" My mum asked my cousin.

"I'm good! I've missed you. How are you?" Isy asked.

"I'm good," my mum smiled. She hugged Isy again. My mum really loves Isy. Probably because Isy gives my mum the love I don't. Don't get me wrong. I love my mum. A lot. I just don't show it the way Isy and Saige tend to.

Isy and I went upstairs to my bedroom. She seemed a bit hesitant about something.

"Everything okay?" I asked her. She nodded, unconvincingly.

"Isy, what's wrong?" I asked seriously.

"I don't want you to get mad at me," Isy said, staring at the floor.

"I won't get mad. Tell me what's wrong," I said lovingly.

"I-I don't think Saige likes me," Isy said hesitantly. That took me by surprise. They're both sweet kids. Isy loves singing, and Saige loves art. How could they not get along?

"What? How could she not like you?" I asked shocked.

"Well, last time we were all together, Saige called me a suck up. So I asked her why, and she was just mad that I'm close with you and she's not," Isy explained to me. Why does Saige have to be such a brat?

"Wait here," I sighed. I stormed into Saige's bedroom.

"Leave Isy alone! We get along so well because, unlike you, she's not a little brat. She's gone through enough, and she doesn't need you being rude," I snapped at Saige. Saige stared at me shocked. Before she could reply, I stormed out of her room, slamming her door shut.

"What did you do?" Isy asked worried.

"Don't worry about it," I told her. We continued talking about anything and everything. Time spent with Isy are some of my favorite times.

Saige's pov:

*four hours later*

Emily had just left with Isy to drop her off at her house. I went into the kitchen where my mum was preparing dinner.

"Hey, Saige," my mum smiled.

"Why does Isy always come over? She and Emily hang out more than I do with Em," I sighed.

"Saige, Isy has gone through a lot lately. I think being with Emily helps her keep her sanity," my mum tried to explain to me.

"But even before this. They're always together and never with me," I mumbled.

"Well, maybe see if they'll include you. Hang out with them," my mum encouraged me. I explained to my mum the fight Isy and I had and Emily storming into my bedroom.

"So they probably don't want me around," I finished.

"Well, you should apologize," my mum began, but I cut her off.

"No. I hate this family! Why are we so screwed up?" I suddenly yelled.

Liz's pov:

"Saige, don't you dare say that. This family is beautiful. We've had hardships. Name a family that hasn't. The McDonoughs and Byrds are a family. We're a team. You will not speak badly of this family," I commanded her.

"Why not? Emily always does," Saige retorted. I sighed.

"Don't act like Emily. Be a bit more mature than that," I snapped. Saige rolled her eyes.

"Saige, what is wrong with you? You're better than that," I said frustrated. She ignored me and stomped back upstairs. Why can't all three of them just get along?

*One week later*

Emily is slowly driving me insane. Every time I ask her to do something, she refuses. Why can't my daughter just behave?

"Stressed babe?" Connor asked. I was laying on our bed with my face in the pillow.

"Yes," I muffled. Connor sat beside me.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Emily is such a brat!" I suddenly snapped. Connor laughed.

"It's not funny," I said angrily. Connor kissed my head.

"I think Emily and I need to spend some time together," Connor decided. With that, he left.

Emily's pov:

"Em? Let's go," my dad told me. Confused, I followed him to the car.

"What are we doing?" I asked. I was supposed to be going to Kara's in a bit.

"Let's go out to dinner," my dad suggested.

"Am I in trouble?" I asked.

"No."

"Is someone in the family sick?"

"No."

"Is someone dead?"

"No."

"Then why are we going to dinner?" I asked confused.

"Just to spend some time together," my dad smiled. I gave a slight nod.

*At the restaurant*

"And then my teacher told me it was the best essay she'd read all year," I told my dad. We were in a conversation, and it felt nice to just talk to him.

"Emily, you are such a delightful girl. Why aren't you like that with your mum?" My dad asked. I wasn't expecting that. I stirred my soup and shrugged.

"She does work so hard for you," my dad told me.

"I know. I get that speech constantly from Me-Me," I sighed.

"Please try to be kinder to her. She's so stressed out," my dad said. I nodded. Maybebe I am a bit harsh on my mum at times.

"Em?" My dad asked. I looked at him.

"I heard you playing piano this morning," he smiled. I froze.

"What changed your mind?" He asked. I gulped. Do I tell him?

"Dad, c-can this stay between us?" I asked hesitantly.

"That you played?" He asked.

"Why I played," I confirmed.

"Oh. Uh sure, Em," he said.

"Dad, I've been hanging out with Uncle Cameron. Two weeks ago. And then again two days ago," I blurted. My dad's eyes widened. I'm in so much trouble.

Connor's pov:

How am I not supposed to tell Liz that? What is Emily doing?

"Oh. Really? How's that been going?" I asked, trying to keep my cool.

"Dad, I know it's wrong, and I'm sure you're angry, but for I feel happier than I have in a long time. I'm finally understanding him. I finally have motivation to play piano again," Emily sighed.

"What does Isy think?" I asked. Emily looked down.

"It would break her. I can't tell her," Emily mumbled.

"Tell you what. It's our secret for now, but eventually you're gonna have to tell the family. You can't hide that from them," I told my daughter.

"I know," she mumbled. I decided to change the subject, so we started talking about school.

Megan's pov:

*Two weeks later*

How did they do it? No idea. How was I so easily convinced? No idea. But maybe it'll be nice for me to get out of the house and just totally relax.

I climbed into the car. Tyler drove Liz, Connor, and me to the bar. We all decided to go out for some drinks. Well, Liz can't drink, so Connor won't either. But we thought it'd be nice to all be together. It was actually Liz's idea. I have no idea why she'd choose a bar out of all places, but okay.

Everything was fine at first. Tyler and I shared a drink. Connor and Liz shared a soda. We were just catching up on life. Then, they walked in. Cameron and Olivia. I immediately felt sick to my stomach.

"Can we leave?" I whispered to Tyler.

"Meg, why?" He asked confused. I guess I was the only one who noticed them.

"Oh. Uh sure, Em," he said.

"Dad, I've been hanging out with Uncle Cameron. Two weeks ago. And then again two days ago," I blurted. My dad's eyes widened. I'm in so much trouble.

Connor's pov:

How am I not supposed to tell Liz that? What is Emily doing?

"Oh. Really? How's that been going?" I asked, trying to keep my cool.

"Dad, I know it's wrong, and I'm sure you're angry, but for I feel happier than I have in a long time. I'm finally understanding him. I finally have motivation to play piano again," Emily sighed.

"What does Isy think?" I asked. Emily looked down.

"It would break her. I can't tell her," Emily mumbled.

"Tell you what. It's our secret for now, but eventually you're gonna have to tell the family. You can't hide that from them," I told my daughter.

"I know," she mumbled. I decided to change the subject, so we started talking about school.

Megan's pov:

*Two weeks later*

How did they do it? No idea. How was I so easily convinced? No idea. But maybe it'll be nice for me to get out of the house and just totally relax.

I climbed into the car. Tyler drove Liz, Connor, and me to the bar. We all decided to go out for some drinks. Well, Liz can't drink, so Connor won't either. But we thought it'd be nice to all be together. It was actually Liz's idea. I have no idea why she'd choose a bar out of all places, but okay.

Everything was fine at first. Tyler and I shared a drink. Connor and Liz shared a soda. We were just catching up on life. Then, they walked in. Cameron and Olivia. I immediately felt sick to my stomach.

"Can we leave?" I whispered to Tyler.

"Meg, why?" He asked confused. I guess I was the only one who noticed them.

"Oh, you're out with Tyler? So who will you be with next week since you're always changing boys, slut," Olivia smirked. I have allowed this girl to be rude to me and even a little rude to Isy. But not anymore. This girl is not the queen and she sure isn't going to treat me like a doormat.

"Seriously? You're calling me a slut? Aren't you the one who made love with Cameron when he was still my husband?" I spat angrily. Liz sat there shocked. Connor held her hand. Tyler protectively grabbed my arm.

"Don't talk to my beautiful wife that way. She's a better wife than you ever were," Cameron spat. Well, that hurt.

"And Tyler's a better husband than you ever were," I retorted.

"Megan, it's fine. Let's go," Liz said seriously.

"Yeah I understand why you're out here drinking tonight. If I had Isy for a daughter, I'd be drunk a lot," Olivia continued.

Without a second thought, I raised my hand and slapped her across the face.

"My daughter is the most amazing girl ever. It's yours who's messed up!" I yelled. Olivia pushed me, and I threw her on the ground.

"Hey! Get outta here with that drama!" The bartender yelled. We all rushed out.

"I'm so sorry," I apologized, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Hey it's okay. We understand. You should protect your daughter," Tyler told me.

"Our daughter," I smiled slightly.

"Megan, we would've done the same thing," Liz assured me. I hugged my twin, and we all headed home. I felt bad for cutting the night short, but no one messes with my daughter. My family is not perfect, but I love my family, and no one will mistreat them.

_____________________

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! It'd mean a lot if you could just hit the vote button, it helps us see who's actually reading and interested! xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 12 180
The title says it all. Also you may choose the cover. Would anyone like for me to do a Part 3 or just continue this until the next book comes out or...
607K 14.6K 37
Layla Ford has enough problems in life. She's an orphan who is always being put up for adoption over and over again. She finds pain relief through cu...
5.3K 50 10
-DISCONTINUE- I'm Tessa Marie Dallas, that's right Cameron's younger sister. Never heard of me? Well no one has, but that's Cameron for you. I went f...
Stay By kait(:

Fanfiction

2.5K 23 28
Ali's just a 16 year old girl with ALOT of problems in her life. She's got parents who don't care about her at all,a 17 year old brother who bullies...