The Beauty Underneath

By bellaPiiink

After the death of her parents, Erin Maxwell leaves New York with her brother and aunt and goes to Chicago. S... More

The Beauty Underneath
Prologue: A Mother's Letter
Chapter One: Moving In
Chapter Two: First Day of School
Chapter Three: Drama Club
Chapter Four: Face in the Mirror
Chapter Five: The Passageway
Chapter Six: Getting to Know You
Chapter Seven: Dinner Time
Chapter Eight: I Still Believe
Chapter Nine: The Attempted Kiss
Chapter Ten: Friend's Advice
Chapter Eleven: The Substitute Escort
Chapter Thirteen: Experimental Kiss
Chapter Fourteen: The Housekeeper's Story
Chapter Fifteen: The Play
Chapter Sixteen: A Perfect Night
Chapter Seventeen: Love
Chapter Eighteen: The Scarred Face
Chapter Nineteen: I Should Tell You
Chapter Twenty: A Big Surprise
Chapter Twenty-One: Secret Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Rain
Chapter Twenty-Three: Christmas Holidays
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Tickets
Chapter Twenty-Five: Heartbroken
Chapter Twenty-Six: Wendy's Story
Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Help From A Stranger
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Decisions
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Think of Me
Chapter Thirty: Make You Feel My Love
Epilogue: A Son's Letter

Chapter Twelve: A Masked Party

4.8K 175 12
By bellaPiiink

“What?” Simon grumbled as he opened the door to his room. He was already dressed up for the dance but his hair was still untidy. He frowned at me when he saw me. “Why are you still here? The dance would be at eight. It’s already seven.”

I waved at him dismissively. “Do you have extra formal clothing? Like, a tux or anything?”

He narrowed his eyes. “Why would you use it? You’re not going to wear it, are you?”

I looked at him as if he was stupid. “I’m a girl. Why would I wear it? Sometimes, you’re really a dumbass.”

My brother scowled at me and turned around to rummage inside his closet. He grabbed a pair of black slacks, a white button-down shirt and a blazer. He was about to grab an emerald-green tie but then I asked, “Do you have a red tie? It would match with my dress that way.”

Simon raised an eyebrow at me. “What the hell are you planning?” he asked but handed me a red tie anyway. Then he smirked at me. “Just admit it – you don’t have a date. You’re going to pay a random stranger to dress up as your date so that you wouldn’t have to embarrass yourself.”

I scowled at him. “It’s really none of your business,” I snapped at him and left his room. What he said wasn’t really right… but somehow it was kind of true. Though I’m not paying Winston to be my date. He suggested it himself.

When I returned in my room, Winston was awkwardly standing in the middle of my room. He was barefoot and on his hands was a pair of leather shoes. “This is my only formal clothing,” he said and then frowned. “Though it’s not really clothing.”

“Don’t worry, I have clothes over here,” I said and handed him Simon’s clothes. “You can change inside the bathroom. I’ll be waiting here.”

He nodded and went in the bathroom. As if on cue, my phone rang and I went over to my desk. It was Charlotte who was calling me and I pressed the Answer button. “Charlotte?” I said her name.

“Howard’s at my place and we’re going to pick up Jennifer in her house. Peter’s also there,” she informed me. “Then we’re going to pick you up. Oh, we have rented a limousine too! Awesome, huh?”

“Yes, it is,” I said, distracted. “Listen, Hugh’s not going to attend. He’s super sick so…”

“Wait, don’t tell me you’re not going!” Charlotte cried, horrified.

“I’m still going, Charlotte.”

“Oh. But who’s going to be your date? Or are you going to be alone?”

“My housekeeper has a friend,” I replied, twirling a lock of my black hair with my finger. It wasn’t exactly a lie, was it? “His name is Winston and he’s really shy. We can go to the school dance with someone who doesn’t go to our school, right?”

“Sure,” she said. “So, this Winston… Is he someone special?”

I flushed, even though there’s no reason to. I mean, Charlotte was just asking me. It wasn’t as if I just confessed my love for Winston. Which will not happen. “No,” I told her. “Look, I need to go. I have to prepare for the last time.”

“’Kay. See you later!”

“Later,” I said and hung up.

The bathroom door opened and out came Winston, wearing my brother’s clothes. It fitted him perfectly. Simon’s really muscular since he does football and all, but I wonder how Winston gains his muscles when he just stays down there. Maybe playing the piano 24/7 could count as a workout? I don’t know. He shuffled uncomfortably. “How do I look?” he asked.

I stared at him. I have to say, him in a tuxedo was absolutely hot. Plus his mask finally gets along with his outfit. “You look… nice,” I complimented him.

Winston smirked. “Wow, you must really think I’m hot.”

I blushed and turned away. How come he always read my mind? Was I really that easy to read? I hope not. “Charlotte’s going to arrive in a few minutes. You better get ready, she might bombard you a lot of questions. She does that to people when she doesn’t know them that much.”

“Okay, but—”

But whatever he was about to say was cut short when the door opened and in came Simon. Damn it, I forgot to lock the room! “Erin, Gina told me—” He immediately stopped when he saw I had company. He looked genuinely surprised. “Uh, who’s he? And why is he wearing my clothes?”

Stupidly, I just stood there, my mouth hanging open. I was too shock to do anything. Plus, I was thinking of a million excuses to say. Luckily, Winston’s a smart person and immediately went beside me. “Hi, I’m Winston. I’m your sister’s date,” he told Simon smoothly.

“My sister’s date?” Simon repeated. “I guessed the last part, but why are you wearing my clothes?”

“Well, I have nothing to wear,” Winston explained. “So I asked her if she could borrow from you.”

“And why are you inside my sister’s room?” Simon said, suddenly annoyed. “That’s like invading her privacy. You could have always used the public bathroom downstairs.”

I blinked at my brother. Was it only me or did he sound so overprotective with me? Aww, that’s really cute. “Simon, trust me, he did not do anything to me,” I said, trying not to laugh. “What were you saying before?”

He turned to me, clearing his throat. “Gina told me that if you wanted a ride, she would happily take you to the school. She’s chaperoning, by the way.”

I groaned internally. “Tell her never mind. My friends are going to pick me up. They rented a limousine.”

My brother looked impressed. “You’re actually going to ride in a limo?” he said, and he even sounded envious.

“Yep,” I said, and I couldn’t help but smirk at him smugly. “Listen, why don’t you leave now? Winston and I are still going to prepare.”

“Fine,” he grumbled and closed the door.

“So that’s Simon,” Winston said thoughtfully. “If I didn’t know ahead of time, I wouldn’t have guessed that was your brother. You are so different from him.”

I sighed and shrugged. “He’s the popular one, and I’m the nerdy one. Nobody would believe us until we show our birth certificates.”

“So what’s a limousine?” Winston asked curiously. “Is it something grand?”

“Well, it’s a vehicle. It’s a really nice one too. I’ve never rode something like that before, so this is going to be my first time,” I explained. I suddenly noticed that he was wearing the tie. “You know how to wear your tie? I’m… surprised.”

“It was a lucky guess,” he said modestly. “So how are we going down without Josephine noticing?”

“I think she’s not here. Maybe she’s back at home?”

“I hope.”

Silence enveloped us as Winston grabbed my comb and started combing his hair. I always told myself that guys with messy hair looked sexy but with Winston, it’s different. He would still look hot with neat or messy hair.

I shook my head vigorously. Why was I thinking about these things? Since when have I thought Winston as… hot?

I snatched my purse from my desk and placed my phone and wallet inside. I sighed and then opened the door to leave. I glanced at Winston behind my shoulder. “Come on. We don’t want to be late.”

Winston followed me downstairs. When we got in the living room, we saw Gina sitting down on the couch, wearing a dress and a mask. When she looked up, she smiled but that quickly faded when she saw Winston. “Erin, who’s that guy?” she asked.

“Uh, Gina, this is Winston. He’s going to be my date for the dance,” I explained.

“What happened to Hugh? I thought you’re going to be with him.”

“He got sick and Winston suggested that he should go with me,” I said with a careless shrug as if it was no big deal.

“Well, hi there, Winston,” Gina said and got up from the couch. She raised her hand.

Winston stared at it, and for a moment, I panicked. What if he doesn’t know that he should shake it? Fortunately, Winston knew he should do that and he shook Gina’s hand. “Hi… You must Gina, Erin’s aunt.”

“I’m afraid I didn’t hear you come in,” Gina said, frowning.

“I think you were in the shower when he arrived,” I quickly made up. “Uh, if you don’t my asking… Do you know where Josephine is?”

“She’s in her apartment. Why do you ask?”

“No-nothing,” I stammered but sighed in relief. At least she wouldn’t know that Winston would be leaving the house.

There was suddenly a beep from outside the house. I made a move to get it but Winston grabbed my hand, stopping me. “Let me get that,” he said and then moved to open the door.

I stared at him in surprise. Wow, he’s really serious when he said he wants to meet new people… I heard Gina took a deep breath beside me and I turned to her. “What?” I said.

“I don’t like that guy,” she whispered to me.

I frowned. How could she not like Winston? He’s a wonderful guy! Yeah, sure, he has his moments when he suddenly gets angry but I think he has reasons for that. “Why? Winston’s a really nice guy,” I told her.

“I prefer Hugh.”

“Why?” I asked again.

Gina shrugged. “There’s something with that guy. I’m not sure, but he’s really… creepy. But I think that’s just his mask.”

“It’s just his mask,” I agreed.

Winston returned with Jennifer. She smiled at me, and then waved at Gina. “Hi! My friends and I were going to pick up Erin,” she told Gina.

Gina nodded. “Okay. Have fun, you guys.”

I waved her my farewell and then followed Jennifer and Winston out of the house. “Oh, by the way, Jennifer, this is Winston,” I told her.

Jennifer’s eyes widened. “Wait, the Winston? The guy you told me about?”

I frowned. “I told you something about him?”

“Yeah! Don’t you remember?”

Suddenly I remembered. That was the night when I found out about the passageway in the mirror. I nodded slowly. “I remember now,” I said. “So, Winston, this is Jennifer. She’s my closest friend in school.”

Winston nodded appreciatively. “Nice to meet you,” he said, and raised his hand. Jennifer shook it and for a moment, they looked at each other in the eyes… as if I was not there.

Somehow it annoyed me that they had a moment. They continued staring at each other and I cleared my throat. “What are we waiting? Christmas?” I said loudly.

Jennifer blushed. “S-sorry,” she stammered.

Winston just smiled. Jennifer walked quickly and went inside the limousine first. I looked up at Winston. “What was that?” I asked him sharply.

He shrugged. “She’s a nice girl, that Jennifer. Why didn’t you tell me that she’s actually pretty?”

I pursed my lips at him. “You never asked. And if you have forgotten, you’re in a dance with me, not her.” I didn’t mean to sound so bossy and harsh but it came out that way.

Winston seemed surprised with my sudden change of tone. “Oh. Sorry,” he quickly apologized.

I just rolled my eyes and went in the limo.

***

When I was little, I used to imagine what my first limousine experience would be. What I didn’t expect that I would have scowled the whole time.

I introduced Winston to my friends and they were friendly with him. Peter, Jennifer’s date, was a nice guy but was really quiet. I was stuck sitting down beside him while Jennifer and Winston sat down with each other. What’s more, they were sitting across me and I could see them… flirting. I didn’t even know Winston knew how to flirt!

So when we finally arrived at school, I quickly grabbed Winston’s hand and dragged him out of the limo before anyone could. “Why were you always talking to Jennifer?” I demanded.

Winston blinked. “Why, can’t I talk with your friends? She seemed so nice and she’s friendly. I thought that’s what you want?”

I sighed and shook my head. Seriously, what the hell was wrong with me? Yes, I want him to get along with my friends. But I don’t want them flirting the whole time! Because it really makes me… it makes me… I don’t know, I just have this weird feeling inside my stomach!

“Sorry,” I said sincerely. “I’m just being paranoid.”

We waited for the others to go out. The six of us walked inside the gymnasium. We had our pictures taken and we picked a vacant table to sit down. There weren’t many people yet so I kind of thought that people would arrive fashionably late.

“So, Winston, where do you go to college?” Charlotte asked. “You said you’re twenty, so that means you’re in college.”

Winston seemed uncomfortable and I decided to save him. “He doesn’t go to college. He’s… working, saving money for college.”

“Really?” Jennifer said. “What do you do?”

“He plays the piano,” I answered for him. “And sometimes he writes composition for songs in Broadway.”

The other four people looked shocked… in a good way. Winston just nodded, playing along with me. “But I don’t use my real name. I use a different name.”

“What is it?” Howard asked. “Maybe I have heard of it.”

“Well, that’s the purpose of having a different name, right?” I said, giving him a look. “So that people won’t recognize you?”

Howard shrugged. Then he turned to Charlotte and struck up a conversation with her. To my annoyance, Winston talked to Jennifer about Broadway, and I can’t believe that he could be such a liar. And that left Peter and I.

I smiled at him awkwardly. “I like your bowtie,” I told him.

Peter just nodded.

“So… blue’s your favorite color?” I said, since his bowtie was color blue.

Peter just nodded.

“I like pink.”

Peter just nodded.

I let out a groan internally. Everybody around me was talking and I’m left here with some guy who does nothing but just nod! I sighed. Maybe I should have just stayed at home. The dance wasn’t starting yet… but it was ruined already.

***

The ceremony started at nine, which really ticked me off because they told us they would start eight. We had dinner while the school band was playing some songs on the stage. After eating, the principal announced that it would be dancing time. Couples began to make their way on the center of the gymnasium and started to slow dance.

“Howard and I are going dancing,” Charlotte said, entwining her fingers with her boyfriend. “You guys should too. After all, this is a dance.”

“We’ll be right there,” Jennifer promised her.

For the first time that evening, Peter stood up from his chair and asked Jennifer if she wanted to dance. Jennifer said yes and then they both followed Charlotte to the dance floor.

“Well, that leaves us two,” Winston said, smiling at me.

“You know how to dance?” I inquired.

He nodded. “It doesn’t look that hard. I watch people dance all the time in TV.” Then he looked at me, an amused expression in his face. “How about you? Don’t you know how to dance?”

I turned red and Winston let out a bark of laughter. “Oh shut up,” I snapped at him.

“You don’t know how to dance?” he clarified, grinning that stupid grin of his.

“No.” Well, duh. I don’t go to dances.

“Well, let me show you,” Winston said, and stood up from his seat. He enveloped his hands to mine and led me to the dance floor.

“You don’t have to, really,” I said, exasperated. “Dancing is not my thing. You know I’m more of a singing girl.”

“I know. But you said you want to be in Broadway, right?”

“I don’t recall me telling you something like that.”

“That’s not important. If you’re going to be in Broadway, you need to know how to sing and dance. It’s part of the deal,” Winston said. He placed his arms around my waist and pressed me closer to him. “Now put your hands around my neck.”

I did and then moved my feet like he did with his. “Like this?”

“Not exactly… but that’s good enough.”

I grinned. “That’s cool. Good enough is better than bad, right?”

“Yeah, if you’re a mediocre.”

Before I could retort something, somebody announced that we all should change partners. Some people laughed and then asked some random person to dance with them. I let go of Winston and felt someone grab my hand. I turned and saw Howard, smiling at me. “Mind if I take this dance?” he asked Winston.

Winston stepped back. “No,” he replied.

Howard snaked his arms on my waist and I placed my arms around his neck. “So… where’s Charlotte?” I asked conversationally.

“Dancing with some random person,” he told me and I laughed. “How about Winston?”

I craned my neck to look for Winston, and not to my surprise I saw him dancing with Jennifer. I fought the urge to scowl. “Dancing with Jennifer.”

“You’re jealous, aren’t you?” Howard chuckled.

“Me? Jealous?” I snorted. “Don’t be silly. I’m not the jealous-type.”

“Sure you aren’t,” he said sarcastically. “You looked so jealous ever since we were at the limo. You don’t think I noticed, do you?”

“I’m not jealous,” I repeated. “I’m fine with the both of them. And it’s not like I like Winston that way. Because I don’t.”

“Really? Where did you meet this guy?”

“He’s a friend of my housekeeper,” I told him. “He plays the piano so well and he could sing. I noticed him because of that.”

Howard nodded slowly. “So… have you memorized your lines for the play?” he asked, changing the subject.

I shrugged. “Yeah. I don’t have a lot of lines, so it was easy for me to memorize my lines. How about you?”

“I memorized it. Chris is an unusual character, but I like it anyway.”

“Are you ready for your steamy hot kisses with Wendy?” I asked, laughing. “There are lots of kissing scenes for Chris and Kim.”

He groaned. “Don’t remind me. I’m not sure Charlotte would take it. She hates Wendy’s guts.”

“I can’t blame her,” I sighed.

We continued dancing in silence. When the song ended, he told me he should go back to Charlotte and I bade him goodbye. Another song started and this time Winston appeared from nowhere and asked if he could have this dance.

“Sure,” I replied. “And for the record, I haven’t stepped on Howard even once!”

Winston chuckled. “Congrats.”

We started to dance to the song. It was unfamiliar but it was really beautiful. “So,” I started, thinking for a topic, “do you want to watch our play? I don’t have lots of lines, but I would still appreciate it if you do.”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” he said.

“Really? Thanks.”

“I’ve seen you dance with Howard,” he said nonchalantly. “You really looked so… happy. Do you like him?”

I burst out laughing. “Howard’s already taken. He’s the boyfriend of Charlotte.”

“Really?” Winston said, and there was no mistaking the relief in his voice. “That’s… nice.”

“You were jealous, weren’t you?”

“No, I’m not.”

“You are jealous!” I laughed and giggled. Wait, did I just giggle? I stopped as soon as I realized it was a giggle. “Just admit it. You are jealous with Howard!”

“You’re jealous of Jennifer too,” he mumbled. “Don’t think I haven’t seen your expression the whole time.”

“I’m not… jealous,” I said slowly. “It’s just… I’m not used seeing you with another girl.”

“So that makes you frown all the time?”

“I think.”

Winston sighed. “Jealous or not jealous, you should have no reason to be.”

“Why not?”

“Just because.”

I looked up at him. When Winston says that, it means he wouldn’t tell me any explanations. This guy was filled with secrets. “Okay,” I said.

And then he did something I never expected him to do. Winston pressed his lips to my forehead for a millisecond and then he pulled away. My eyes widened but I didn’t look up at him. I was just too shocked to move. So we just continued dancing, as if nothing happened.

But deep inside, I was shouting with glee. I’m not sure why, but I’m just really happy.

____ 

See? More Erin-Winston moments coming up! :)

Hope you liked this chapter!

- Bella, xoxo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

356K 8K 39
Haley Jacobs is not your typical teenager. Her once perfect life, long gone. She has gone through hell and back, and is barely hanging on by a thr...
93 1 18
(PREVIOUSLY TITLED "BARBARA MARILYN") When best friends Erin and Jamie hear noises in the costume room of their high school's theater, it leads the g...
192K 5K 40
Quick side note: This book was originally named 'The Bad Boy, The Secret, and Me' and was renamed to its current title as of 27/04/2018 for existing...
1.4K 339 22
Having unanswered questions about her past, Aubrey has grown into a bitter and distant teenager. Nevertheless, she lives her life by the rules as her...