Comfort Zone

By GlitterandDust7000

"I'd always liked my life. It was quiet, under control, and routine. Then he came along and showed me how muc... More

Prologue
I'm like the Poster Child for a Cliche, Teen, Chick Flick
You Look Like the Lovechild of Brad Pitt and Ryan Gosling and You Know it
Apparently I'm Quite the Conundrum
Was the Gun Really Necessary?
You're Practically the Personification of Douchebag
I Thought You Said She Was Shy?
Even If You Are an Arrogant Little Mush ball
Overcrowded Cult-Sanctioned Snooze Fest
I Told You That Was a Stupid Game
You're Almost as Insecure as Me
Teenage Hoodlums
But Did I Die?
I Guess I'll Just Have to Brave the Dangers of Teenage Normalcy
Big Fat Chicken
We've Got Uncomfortable Coming Out of Our Ears
Rhett's Journal
Stomach Full of Butterflies and All That Cheesy Stuff
Best Night Ever
Just Tape it Back Together
First Love

Teenage Boys Are Nothing if Not Consistently Immature

15.8K 842 232
By GlitterandDust7000

We pull up to Shelby Hamill's block and I quickly turn off my engine so that we won't be heard, per Grant's request.

This is all a little over dramatic. I think that each of us knows that. I can tell they aren't even that mad at their friends. However, it's more fun this way, pretending like this is some sort of mastermind scheme. My hands are actually shaking in anticipation and I'm loving every second of it.

"What now?" Asks Rhett.

"We begin," replies Grant, grinning from ear to ear. "Henley go ahead and text Violet."

I nod and send her a quick message saying we are here, before turning back to Grant. He looks at Rhett expectantly before Rhett reaches down and pulls out a full, plastic Walmart bag. How had I not seen him bring that in?

He then takes out two, pink, car window markers that he hands to Harrison and Grant, and a carton of eggs, which he keeps for himself.

"Alright. When we set off the alarm I want you to get the hell back in this car. If you're not fast enough, we leave you," says Grant. I want to make a comment about how he better not leave me in my car, but refrain. "Henley on my signal text your friend to come outside."

I nod my head in agreement.

"Revengers on three," he says holding his hand out, clearly wanting us to join in on some group chant. I stick my hand in first and Rhett follows close behind. We all look over at Harrison who looks absolutely appalled.

"There is no way I'm doing that," he says haughtily.

What is with this guy?

"Don't be a dick Harrison," sighs Rhett.

"Nope. Not gonna happen," he shakes his head.

"Suit yourself," shrugs Grant.

"One. Two. Three. Revengers," we yell, throwing our hands up in the air.

We then head over to the Shelby's house where Ryan's truck is indeed parked out front.

Grant and Harrison get to work drawing all over his Windows with the pink marker. I see a few crude drawings and jabs at Ryan's masculinity. Teenage boys are nothing if not consistently immature.

Rhett and I stand back with the carton of eggs, ready to fire at any moment.

"Having fun babe?" Rhett leans down to whisper in my ear.

"I actually am," I smile.

A few seconds later Grant makes a weird bird noise that I take as the sign meaning that I am supposed to message Violet. She texts back immediately, saying that she will be out in a second.

Grant and Harrison jog over to us and we each take an egg from the carton.

"Is she on her way?" Whispers Grant.

"Ya. She's coming."

"Ok then. Let's do this thing. Ready. Aim. Fire."

We hurl our eggs towards the car at full force and then dip our hands back in the carton for more. Eventually, an egg hits hard enough to set off the alarm, and the booming sound echoes down the otherwise silent street.

"Run," screams Grant.

I begin sprinting back down the neighborhood to where we left my car. The cold, night air whips across my face and my lungs begin to burn with effort. Gosh, I'm out of shape.

We're about halfway there when all of the sudden I hear shouts behind me.

"Shit," a breathless voice curses right next to me. Before I know it several hands are on my back, pushing me forwards.

"Faster Henley, faster. They're right behind us."

I will myself to go faster, swinging my arms rapidly from side to side. I see Grant pass me followed by another figure who I'm guessing is Harrison. I would have guessed Rhett but his hands are still planted on my back, ushering me in the direction of the car.

When we finally reach my CRV I jump in, only faintly aware that I have let Rhett push me into the backseat instead of the drivers.

"I have never seen you run that fast," says a much too chipper voice to my side.

"Shut up Violet," I huff in between breaths, my head in between my legs.

"They were right on our tails," says Grant from the passengers seat.

"What did you expect? That truck is like Ryan's child," says another female voice.

I whip my head up in confusion, looking for the source of the second voice.

"Davin?"

"Hey Henley," she replies.

"I hope you don't mind. She wanted to come too," shrugs Vi.

"No it's fine," I say with a wave of my hand, finally able to breathe like a normal person.

"Actually, it's not," snaps an angry Harrison.

He is currently sandwiched in between the car door and Davin, looking quite uncomfortable. The car is only made for five people, two in the front and three in the back. Adding Davin has caused a tight squeeze. It seems to be affecting Harrison the most so I'm not too upset about it, though.

"Suck it up," I say.

He shoots me a death glare before turning it on Davin.

"Could you, at least, scoot over and squish them instead," he growls.

"I could. But I'm not gonna."

I knew I liked her.

Before Harrison has time to come up with another rude response Grant is suddenly shushing us all, and whisper-yelling at us to get down.

We immediately obey and duck down us far as possible. There is a short, harshly whispered argument between Harrison and Davin before it is silenced by Violet.

"Where did they go," comes a muffled voice that must belong to one of the guys who ditched Grant and Harrison.

"I don't know," says someone else.

"Did you see who it was?"

"No, but it's gotta be Grant and Harrison. "

No one says anything and for a moment, I think that they've left. But of course, we're not that lucky. I blame it on Harrison. He's probably bringing down the karma of the group a considerable amount.

"Isn't that Henley Baker's car," asks someone. All of us visibly tense up. How in the world do they know what kind of car I drive? How in the world do they even know who I am?

"That chick that Rhett's obsessed with?"

Of course.

"You don't think.." The voice trails off.

"Go. GO," Grant shouts at Rhett before popping up in his seat and practically pulling him up with him by the collar of his shirt.

We all raise our heads and see that the guys are shouting something and running towards us. Rhett looks back at me as if asking for permission. It is my car after all.

"Just go," I practically scream at him.

That's all he needs. He quickly turns on the engine, switches into reverse, and is out of there within seconds.

Ryan and his friends are running back towards his car now, but we have a huge head start.

"Where do I go?" Asks Rhett?

"Somewhere where they won't find us," says Davin, casting a glance over her shoulder to make sure they aren't on our tails.

"Thanks for the advice," says Rhett, raising his eyebrows, clearly not finding this helpful at all.

"Well it's true," she says. "I didn't see anybody else offering up any grand plans. Just drive like your trying to get lost, Novel."

Grant, Violet and I laugh at this while Rhett just shakes his head and smiles. Harrison seems to find it annoying, but I'm pretty sure he finds everything annoying.

To some Davin may seem like a bit of a bitch. A cliche, slutty, rude, narcissistic, bombshell blonde. I'm a little ashamed to say that I myself had thought about her that way a few times before. Despite my attempts to give everybody the benefit of the doubt and pass as little judgment as possible, I had been sucked into believing Davin was someone completely different from who she really is. She isn't rude, she just tells it like it is. And sure she gets around, but that can be chalked up to insecurity. The truth is, I actually like Davin. Violet does too considering she brought her along. I know she wouldn't have had a problem saying no, and not bringing her if she didn't.

"Crap," shouts Violet all of the sudden. "They're right behind us."

Rhett hits the gas and turns a corner a little too quickly for my liking.

"Watch the car," I scream over the various adrenalin fueled shouts of my companions.

We weave our way through the neighborhood until we reach the main road. It's almost eleven, so barely anybody is out. Rhett says that he's going to try and lose them at a red light. He is driving way too fast and my eyes are glued to the speedometer.

We finally come to a yellow light and he speeds up even more. We barely make it and all let out a cheer, thinking that we've finally lost them.

"They ran it," says Harrison with as much enthusiasm or emotion as I have ever heard him use, which is still not that much.

We all snap our heads back to look and sure enough, they are still in pursuit.

"Why the heck are they trying so hard?" Asks Violet.

"Probably because they saw that we have girls in the car," answers Grant. "I'm sure that Shelby's is off the table now.

I wonder why the heck they would be chasing us simply because us three girls are in the car. There are about eight guys if you count the three in here, so they out number us quite a bit. Even if they are stupid enough to expect an impromptu make out session, a substantial amount of them would be left out.

Also, as much as I hate how insecure even thinking this makes me feel, one of those girls is me. Even though I'm aware that I'm no cave troll I'm sure that most guys wouldn't touch me with a ten-foot pole. I think it's the whole shy thing. They get too awkward around me. Plus I'm taller than most of them at almost five foot eleven, and if there is one thing that makes a teenage boy uncomfortable, it's a girl taller than him.

Rhett is weaving between lanes to stop them from pulling up beside us, and I'm gripping the headrest so tight my fingers hurt.

"Oh for crying out loud, just let them catch us," yells Violet. "It's not like their gonna hurt us."

"What? No," argue all of the guys simultaneously.

"Violets right. This is getting ridiculous," says Davin.

"We can't stop now," argues Grant. "They'll think they won."

"So what?" Asks Violet.

Just then, they pull up beside us and Rhett swings into another neighborhood, causing me to hit my head against the window.

"Gosh Rhett, you're gonna get us killed," I shout. "Just stop somewhere. Anywhere."

"Come on," he whines. "I can lose them."

I turn around and see that they are riding our tail so close that I can see everyone one of their faces. They don't look like they are giving up anytime soon either.

"Please just stop the car, Rhett. Gas is expensive and so are cars. I really don't want you to have to buy me a new one."

"Fine," he says reluctantly.

Grant and Harrison groan at him, but he's already started slowing down. I hear Harrison make a whipping noise implying that I've got Rhett whipped. I pretend not to hear it.

We end up finding a spot cleared out for construction and pulling into it. Ryan's truck stops right behind us and before I know it, five guys are running up to the car, banging on my windows, and shouting at us all at once. Just as I predicted they aren't mad. They are each wearing broad grins.

"Alright, we're getting out. Backup," says Rhett, as he cautiously opens his door. He is greeted with a handful of playful punches and I think I even see a noogie. Boys are weird.

The rest of us slowly exit the car and I realize what an uncomfortable situation I'm now in.

I'm surrounded by all these random people who I barely know, and who all probably won't talk to me because they think I'm mute.

"Come on," let's go sit in the back of my truck," says Ryan.

We all head over to the creatively decorated, egg splattered truck and find seats in the bed.

I sit next to Violet, who I know can tell how out of place I feel because she keeps looking over at me to make sure I'm ok, and giving me reassuring smiles.

Rhett sits on the other side of me and I find myself feeling very relieved. I didn't want to sit next to a total stranger.

"How you holding up, Sweet Pea?" He asks playfully, but I can tell that his words carry a seriousness behind them. He wants to know if I'm ok, and somehow just the thought is enough to actually make me feel better.

"I'm fine," I say with mock exasperation.

Am I really that easy to read? I don't want to be the girl who gets flustered in big crowds. I want to be like Violet or Davin, who are currently busy chatting away. No, I'm not jealous of them exactly. I hate jealousy. It's pointless. I am who I am and no amount of wishing I was someone else will change that. But I would gladly trade some of my awkwardness for some of their charm right now. No matter how "in" Hollywood claims awkward is.

"Let's play truth or dare," one of the guys suggests eagerly.

As much as I hate that game, anything is better than this group conversation which I know I will never be able to work my way into.

So we begin the game. It starts with Davin who, of course, chooses dare. They suggest that she take off her top and I can't help but hide my face in my hands and cringe at that, causing Rhett to chuckle.

Thankfully she tells them, no, using some not so nice words. In the end, she just ends up having to prank call someone named Danny and pretend to be an angry ex- girlfriend. He gets really confused and she has to hang up because she is laughing too hard. It's pretty funny, even if I do feel a little bad for the guy. It's clear that he doesn't believe it's actually his ex, but bless his heart he is trying so hard to figure out who it is.

Most of the guys chose dare. Some have to call their crushes and others have to sing Disney songs or make up dance numbers. As my turn gets closer I become worried that I will be the only one to pick truth, but to my relief Violet chooses it right before me. They ask her who her first kiss was and I immediately become anxious again.

What if they ask me something like that? I really don't want to have to tell this huge group of boys whom I barely know that I have never been kissed.

When it's finally my turn I realize that I was worried for nothing. None of the boys are eager to ask me anything. Like I said, they get awkward around me, which in turn, makes me awkward. I feel myself begin to blush as I chose truth and then blush even harder because of the fact that I'm blushing.

"What's your favorite place in the world?" Asks Violet, about five seconds after I have chosen truth. She obviously wanted to give me an easy one.

"Um," I say, thinking about it for a moment. "My grandparents have a farm about thirty minutes outside of town. That's probably my favorite place," I finish, hating how my voice shakes. This is one thing I don't understand about myself. As much as I say I'm not shy, sometimes I can't help but feel like I am. When I get nervous or anxious my voice tends to quiver and I can't form a proper sentence.

Then there are other times when I can tell off complete strangers, or have deep conversations with people who I barely know. Rhett is right. I don't make sense, not even to myself.

Rhett's up next and for the first time, I notice how tense he looks. His jaw is clenched and his shoulders locked. Why is he nervous? He's not the kind of guy to shy away from a dare, and he can't be so uncomfortable around these guys that he doesn't want to tell them a truth. They obviously love him. He's only been here for a few weeks and they're already treating him like he's been their best friend for years.

"So Rhett, what's it gonna be? Truth or dare," asks one of the boys slyly. Rhett looks at him like he wants to kill him, but it doesn't faze the guy, who I'm pretty sure is named Kade.

As I look around, it's obvious that they all want to ask him some question he doesn't want to answer, or make him do something that he clearly doesn't want to do.

"Truth," he finally sighs, closing his eyes, waiting for the inevitable.

Before I even really know what I'm doing I've decided to ask him a question before anyone else can and am suddenly blurting one out at him.

"What's your favorite movie," I ask much too quickly and loudly.

He jerks his head over to me, clearly surprised and taken aback by my outburst.

"I really wanna know," I mumble, praying that it's just getting hot outside and I'm not really blushing. It's a lame question and I know it, but it was the best I had been able to come up with in the split second I had decided to save Rhett from his merciless friends.

He looks at me for a moment and then tilts his mouth into a one-sided smile. It's a smile I haven't seen on him before and I like it.

"Star Wars," he announces turning from me to his friends, clearly saying "take that."

I see the looks of annoyance and disappointment and feel bad for a moment for ruining their fun. It doesn't last long, though, because I know if our roles had been reversed, Rhett would have done the same for me.

"Ok. I think it's time we head out," says Rhett a few minutes later. We still have to go back to Sonic, and then get everyone back by curfew."

So the six of us pile back into my Honda and head back to retrieve Grant's Jeep. I'm in the drivers seat this time and due to Harrison's incessant whining, he is riding shotgun.

I ask Rhett why he sat behind the wheel last time and he admits that he didn't think that I would have been a good getaway driver.

"I would have been fine," I argue.

"You barely even let me get above fifty,"

"The speed limit was forty-five," I yell.

We argue about it for awhile. Violet and Harrison join in, both on Rhett's side.

Eventually, I have to admit that they are probably right, but so what? Sue me for not wanting to get in a wreck.

When we reach the sonic Violet and Davin decide to go with Grant, seeing as how they all live closer to him than me.

"Bye Henley," Violet says as she gives me a hug.

"Thanks for letting me tag along," says Davin off to the side.

"Anytime," I respond sincerely. "We'll have to hang out again sometime."

"I'd like that," she nods.

"Bye Harrison," I call out to him just to piss him off. He's already seated in the Jeep looking extremely impatient. He doesn't respond.

Grant surprises us all by coming up and giving me a bone crushing hug.

"Your pretty cool Henley," he says. "I can see why Rhett speaks so highly of you."

"You're pretty cool too Grant," I laugh.

Rhett and I step back into my car and drive back to the house.

"That was fun," I say.

"You didn't think that they were too much," he says, referring to his friends.

"Eh," I shrug. "I like Grant and I didn't really get to talk to most of the others that much. Harrison though...," I trail off, but it's obvious I don't care for him.

"Ya, that's what I thought at first too. You've just got to get used to him. He's usually not that bad."

"He doesn't like me," I say.

"Don't take it personally. He doesn't like most people. I have a feeling he'll warm up to you, though."

"I doubt it," I scoff.

"I don't. You're pretty impossible not to like, Henley."

*************
Hey guys! What did you think of this chapter? I really liked writing this one. Can anyone else relate to how Henley feels in groups of people, cause I know I can!

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!

Have a wonderful day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 35.3K 42
"You make me want to do things to you." He mumbles, his brown eyes never straying from mine. "What?" I whisper, nervous yet at the same time my hear...
10.3M 358K 61
Caden Miller. Hot, cynical, and notoriously labelled the bad boy of Crestmont High. Attention-seekers flirt with him. Idiots fight with him. The ones...
288K 6.8K 45
We all have secrets. But the question is... What are they? Her father hates her. Her mother's dead. Only option seems to be is to get far away right...
48 0 22
Gabby Goodwin has a questionable sense of style, no filter whatsoever, and horrible taste in the opposite sex, and that's just the tip of her problem...